- Item #: i_305878Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Just in this week, the 2016 Tignanello from the Antinori family is a wonderful follow-up to the previous vintage! This is one of the wines that launched the famous "Super-Tuscan" movement by pairing Sangiovese with Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc and aging in smaller French oak barrels, making Italian wines that could go head-to-head with the greats of Bordeaux and Napa Valley. Seeing the previous vintage sell out quickly, we think it's only fair to alert you now: The 2016 version is once again poised to be an international hit!
This is such a polished wine, already so enjoyable! There are elegant aromas of concentrated, ripe dark fruits (like blackberry and black cherry compote) interwoven with subtle earthy balsam and fresh herbal hints. The palate walks a thin line between baked and fresh fruit, with the gently herbal & savory counterpoints creating flavor balance. The French oak is finely integrated already, adding to an appetizing chewiness along with a layer of dark cocoa and a brooding hint of charred fruit on the finish. This is such a drinkable wine already thanks to the velvet texture and seamless integration of all its components; it's one of those wines that's deceiving in its complexity, pulling it off so effortlessly. What's more, the complexity will only grow as the ample fruit peels back over the years!
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Tasted from barrel, the 2016 Tignanello will be released next year in April. This celebrated red blend is of course mostly Sangiovese with about 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Cabernet Franc. If 2015 is an ideal vintage for Tuscan blended reds made with the great Bordeaux varieties, the 2016 vintage is better suited to Italian grapes such as Sangiovese. This classic vintage of Tignanello has a leg up, albeit slim, over the previous vintage precisely because the protagonist here is Sangiovese. This wine shows a high caliber of fresh primary fruit that is direct and intense. In the mouth, the wine is focused and sharp. Ultimately, the 2016 Tignanello is slightly more streamlined compared to the more fleshy 2015. This adds to the firm elegance you get here."
- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the light-bodied, racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_302732Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Fascinating aromas and flavors of dried fruit, tar and mushrooms follow through to a medium to full body with firm tannins and a juicy finish. Drink or hold."
Azienda Brangero is a new winery in Piedmont, located in Diano d"Alba on the highest part of the hill. Winemaker/owner Marco Barngero acquired a parcel in the famed Monvigliero vineyard, and he makes a spectacular wine from those vines.
- Item #: i_301306Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Vinous Media: 90James Suckling: 92ORGANICALLY FARMED & PRACTCING BIODYNAMIC
25% Cabernet Franc, 25% Merlot, 16% Sangiovese, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot, 7% Alicante and 6% Syrah
Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are blended to create a soft, luscious wine that's loaded with bright cherry, rich chocolate and mocha flavors.
- Item #: i_302477Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A wealth of fruit yet remains fresh and vivid with blueberry and black cherry character. Some bark and dried earth. Full body, integrated tannins and a flavorful finish. Better than 2012. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino exhibits impressive balance and integrity. It contrasts the delicate sweetness of the fruit very nicely against the more ethereal and licorice-like aromas that come so naturally to Sangiovese grown in the spectacular Montalcino appellation. This is a fine wine from Camigliano, an estate that absolutely excels in classic and slightly cooler vintages like 2013. The winemaking is also impeccable, with balanced intensity and integrated tannins. There is a playful note of cherry sweetness on the close that I very much identify with the distinctive Camigliano wine identity. Some 150,000 bottles were produced. Congratulations on a wine well made."
- Item #: i_305898Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 96James Suckling: 98Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years. This anniversary edition will be one of the best wine purchases you make this year.
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Casanova di Neri's 2013 Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova is celebrating its 20th anniversary (1993-2013), and a special gold-label edition of the wine was made to commemorate this important milestone. I tasted the white label for this review. This is a bold and expressive Brunello that displays tightly knit aromas of Morello cherry, spice, leather and balsam herb that are the building blocks of the most beautiful Brunellos that come to mind. The Casanova di Neri house style implies a modern and sophisticated approach for sure. But the inner spirit and texture of Sangiovese is so fine and polished in its natural state that it hardly matters. The personality of the grape shines through with a loud and confident voice."
WINE SPECTATOR 'HOT WINES' 96 POINTS - "Sweet, ripe strawberry and cherry fruit melds seamlessly with the dense, refined structure of this red. Saline, licorice and spice accents add complexity as this lingers gracefully on the finish. Terrific harmony and expression."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A vivid and bright red with intense blueberries and raspberries. Floral undertones and tons of citrus, too! Full-bodied, dense and layered. Polished tannins and fantastic fruit. The muscularity of the structure is what gives this wine focus and intensity. So serious for the vintage. Give it time to show its greatness. Drink in 2022."
- Item #: i_305888Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 93WINE SPECTATOR INSIDER 94 POINTS - "Purity and intensity mark this supple, complex red, bursting with black cherry, black currant, plum, graphite, sanguine and tobacco notes that show an underlying woodsy accent. The well-integrated structure lends support as this plays out on the long finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best from 2021 through 2035.—B.S."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico impresses for the heightened level of vibrant freshness and aromatic precision that distinguishes it in a large playing field. Proprietor Maurizia di Napoli tells me that the 2016 growing season was not without its ups and downs. Farming was difficult, and not all sites came to ripeness with the same consistency because it was cooler toward the end of the growing season. Castello dei Rampolla avoids the use of sulfites in winemaking. However, these results are stunning, especially as this is positioned as a more affordable wine. The blend is 85% Sangiovese, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Merlot."
- Item #: i_302694Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96James Suckling: 94PRACTICING ORGANIC
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2013 Barolo Ginestra Casa Matè is powerful and intense, with huge beams of tannin underpinning the fruit. Black cherry, plum, violet, mint and licorice develop in the glass. Today, the 2013 is quite reticent, with tons of power in reserve, but all the elements are in the right place. Not surprisingly, the 2013 is a tightly wound ball of energy. Readers need to be patient."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A rich and velvety-textured red with a dusty undertone. Full-bodied, rich and round with lots of fruit and cedar character. Juicy finish. Drink in 2020."
- Item #: i_302189Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 97James Suckling: 98PRACTICING ORGANIC
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Extremely perfumed, showing lots of rose, lavender and dark-berry character. Full body with intense density and chewiness that gives the wine great structure. Lots of flavor and focus at the finish. Needs five to six years to finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 97 POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Gavarini Chiniera is ample, full-bodied and rich on the palate, and yet retains its explosive floral lift and brightness, two of the signatures that are such calling cards of Barolos from this Monforte site. A rush of sweet red cherry, blood orange, chalk, mint and rose petal build in a super-expressive Barolo that hits so many high notes effortlessly. The Gavarini Chiniera is one of the wines of the vintage. Don't miss it."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Gianluca Grasso did not make this wine in 2014, but in 2015, he found the vintage he was looking for. The 2015 Barolo Gavarini Chiniera is perfectly wonderful. The wine combines power with elegance, showing long determination as it wraps smoothly over the palate. The mature tannins are well integrated within a profound, ripe and round quality of dark fruit. That juicy and succulent core shows graceful notes of violet, licorice, cola, moist earth and white truffle. Grasso knew that this would be a great vintage and he nailed it."
- Item #: i_301154Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92PRACTICING ORGANIC
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "This is an excellent vintage in Chianti Classico that shows especially well in the simple, more accessible wines such as this. The 2016 Chianti Classico Berardenga delivers the power and density of its territory. The southern side of the appellation often shows the richest expressions of Sangiovese. This wine opens to sweet aromas of dark fruit, cherry and plum. The wine shows a slightly savory side as well with spice and dried terracotta that recalls the gray gravel soils of the region. Bay leaf, cola and chopped mint appear as subtle background notes."
- Item #: i_301007Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "...aged in 50% new barriques. Curiously, the oak is not apparent on the charming and ethereal red fruit nose. The attack is fresh, lively and vibrant, with considerable intensity and flair, yet the wine shows both tension and structure, and the finish is balanced, complex and long. Drinking Window 2020 - 2035"
- Item #: i_301104Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Vinous Media: 95WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "This stunning vintage of this landmark wine marks a slight adjustment to the blend. The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Guado Al Tasso is no longer made with Petit Verdot. The blend is now 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and now 20% Cabernet Franc. This small change does not go unnoticed, as this wine is absolutely seamless now—like the finest Asian silk fabric. That profound textural softness and suppleness changes the way the wine smells and tastes, with hints of momentary sweetness that are more tactile than anything else. Generally speaking, the 2016 vintage offers more elegance (slightly less concentration) and a hair more freshness compared to the 2015 edition. When I tasted this wine, the bouquet was still timid, but it will no doubt become more expressive and open as this beautiful wine continues forward along its aging trajectory. Some 120,000 bottles were made, a remarkable feat considering the extreme quality on offer."
- Item #: i_305030Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Aromas of blackberry, cherry and blueberry with hints of green tea. Full body, layered and ripe with lots of intense fruit and a long finish. Shows energy and focus."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "From the beautiful rolling hills of Panzano in Chianti, the 2015 La Massa shows a ripe and soft side of the vintage with warm notes of black cherry and blackberry. This is a velvety and richly textured blend of 60% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and Alicante Bouschet that displays beautiful concentration and color saturation. This is an upfront and immediate wine that offers loads of beautiful intensity. You absolutely can't beat this unbelievable value from Tuscany. Drink: 2017-2027."
- Item #: i_301106Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is very fine and pretty with berry, cherries and flowers on the nose and palate. Full body with very integrated tannins and a fresh clean finish. A beauty now. This is classy. A blend of a selection of three dozen of the best Sangiovese clones grown in Chianti Classico by the historic winemaking family of Mazzei. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2010 Mix36 is a blend of 36 biotypes of Sangiovese. With its technical winemaking notes printed on the front label (harvest yields and maceration times), this wine should have special appeal with wine geeks everywhere. This expression is elegant and clean with sharp focus and bright notes of wild berry and lingering smoke. Polished tannins are backed by bright acidity. Anticipated maturity: 2015-2025."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "One of the newer wines in the range, the Mix 36 is once again terrific in 2010. Layers of fruit emerge effortlessly from this gracious, pliant wine. Tar, smoke, spices and licorice flesh out on the radiant finish. The style is a bit supple for the year, but gorgeous all the same. It will be interesting to follow the 2010 over the coming years. Mix 36 made from 36 different Sangiovese clones planted on the property, and is aged in 500-liter barrels.
- Item #: i_302652Bottle Size: 750mlEstablished in 1750 by Pietro di Berardino (he adopted the title of Mastro, which eventually merged with Berardino) and officially registered in 1878 by Cavalier Angelo Mastroberardino, Campania’s Mastroberardino is one of Italy’s great winemaking estates.
- Item #: i_345540Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Fresh violets, newly picked herbs, licorice and black peppers. Medium body, fresh acidity and a fruity finish. Drink now. A blend of sangiovese, merlot and cabernet sauvignon."
- Item #: i_305071Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Orma is laced with the essence of black cherry, smoke, licorice, spice and dark chocolate. Medium in body and persistent, with striking poise, Orma is absolutely gorgeous in 2016. All the elements simply fall into place effortlessly. Deceptively in its mid-weight feel, the 2016 offers striking persistence and tons of class. Drinking window: 2020 - 2030"
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Aromas of blueberries, blackberries, chocolate and hazelnuts follow through to a full body, round and velvety tannins and a flavorful finish. Tight and focused right now. Needs three or four years to soften. Try in 2022."
Orma is the acclaimed wine made at a single estate of the same name in Bolgheri, coastal Tuscany’s premier wine village. Orma is said to be ‘well-born’ due to the estate’s location next to Tenuta dell’Ornellaia and amid the towering cypress trees of the famed Via Bolgherese. With a profile that finds equilibrium between power and finesse, Orma reflects both the unique terroir and the ambitious spirit of its territory.
The Orma estate is located in the district of Castagneto Carducci within the Bolgheri DOC, and is home to only 5.5 hectares of well-exposed and carefully tended vineyard. Plantings of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc are brought to full ripeness by the brilliant summer sunshine for which this part of Tuscany is renowned. Gentle and consistent sea breezes keep the vines ventilated and free of rot despite dense plantings of 2,960 vines/acre. More than any other characteristic, however, Orma's vineyards are defined by their soil. Here, the soil is composed of a high proportion of sand and pebbles with considerably less clay than other coastal areas in Tuscany. This yields a well-drained growing environment in which vines are required to dig deep for buried water reserves. The result is a richly defined wine of power, concentration, and character.
- Item #: i_303369Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94James Suckling: 96JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "The sour cherries really lift this off on the nose, catching suggestions of candied citrus, tile, roasted herbs and cedar. Racy and sexy, drawn out into shape by the forthright acidity and steely tannins."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The Scavino family has had access to fruit from the Monvigliero cru for almost 20 years. They have farmed a small parcel (under one hectare) since 2000, and the grapes were previously added to their “classico” Barolo blend. In 2006, Monvigliero became its own single-vineyard expression because Enrico Scavino always had a big passion for this site. The 2015 Barolo Monvigliero is a bright and beautiful wine with a strong floral signature of violets and roses that accompanies this wine from start to finish. The wine is very characteristic of Monvigliero in terms of the softness and silky nature of the tannins as well."
- Item #: i_302401Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94James Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "Dried berries, rose petals, rose stems, tar, cedar and tobacco. Structured and very serious indeed on the palate, where chewy tannins caress, but also strengthen the vibrant but dried red fruit that permeates this red. Drink in 2023."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - The 2018 vintage will be the last edition made of this wine. The Scavino family lost its lease in Cannubi, and the estate wine portfolio is being redrawn as a result. The 2015 Barolo Carobric remains a blend of fruit from Rocche di Castiglione (60%), Cannubi (20%) and Bric dël Fiasc (20%). That blend has been carefully contemplated, and the absence of the Cannubi changes the formula too drastically. Cannubi adds richness and flavor to the blend, while Rocche di Castiglione with its sandy soils adds delicate mineral and light fruit nuances. Bric dël Fiasc offers both power and elegance and is the proverbial glue that keeps harmony between the two sides. This wine was first produced in 1996, and the end of an important chapter in the Scavino family legacy is upon us."
- Item #: i_301255Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 92ICEA Certified Organic
Rocca di Montegrossi's Chianti Classico is the estate's flagship wine; it is a blend of about 90% Sangiovese, with Canaiolo and Colorino. It ages mainly in large casks and barrels made with Allier oak for 12-14 months. It is unfiltered, and after bottling it ages another 6 months prior to release.
- Item #: i_305978Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Wow. This is really fantastic with outstanding depth of fruit and ripe and silky tannins. So much blueberry and cedar character with hints of flowers. Full body, fine tannins and a fresh and clean finish. Lovely balance to this wine. Better after 2022 but already exciting to taste."
- Item #: i_305977Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 96WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "As much savory as fruity, this offers a fine balance between cherry, leather, spice and carob aromas and flavors. Rich yet lively, leaving a mouthwatering impression on the long, saline aftertaste."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Subtle and complete aromas of cherry, flowers, and orange peel. Full body, round and velvety tannins. So pretty and refined. Polished. A gorgeous wine. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_303484Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 96WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "As much savory as fruity, this offers a fine balance between cherry, leather, spice and carob aromas and flavors. Rich yet lively, leaving a mouthwatering impression on the long, saline aftertaste."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Subtle and complete aromas of cherry, flowers, and orange peel. Full body, round and velvety tannins. So pretty and refined. Polished. A gorgeous wine. Drink or hold."