Greece is one of the oldest wine-producing regions in the world. The earliest evidence of Greek wine has been dated to 6,500 years ago where wine was produced on a household or communal basis. In ancient times, as trade in wine became extensive, it was transported from end to end of the Mediterranean; Greek wine had especially high prestige in Italy under the Roman Empire. In the medieval period, wines exported from Crete, Monemvasia and other Greek ports fetched high prices in northern Europe.
- Item #: i_372513Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 90 POINTS This outstanding dry rose is made from a blend of organically farmed 50% Xinomavro, 30% Limniona and 20% Mavroudi. On the nose you find notes of fine herbs and cherries. On the palate the fruit is rich with pink grapefruit and red currant notes but the wine is crisp and dry on the smooth, clean finish. The grapes were fermented in stainless steel or concrete tanks and the wine was aged on its lees for 4 to 6 months before bottling.
- Item #: i_300032Bottle Size: 500mlDECANTER 97 POINTS AND PLATINUM MEDAL "Honeyed, roasted peach, candied citrus, ginger and toffee bouquet. Baked Meyer lemon, orange marmalade, cold coffee and nut bar appear on the palate. Complex, concentrated and fresh – fantastic balance of acidity and sweetness."
This fabulous dessert wine from Santorini is made from 80% Assyrtiko, 10% Athiri and 10% Aidani. The grapes are sun-dried and the wine is aged in barrel for 4 years. Dark, rich, sweet yet beautifully balanced.
- Item #: i_372344Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the new generations of winemakers in Nemea, Chris Barafakas ages this Agiorgitiko in oak barrels. With just the right amount of oak this Nemea is distinguished for its fruit and soft tannins. A very fresh style from a producer to keep an eye on.
- Item #: i_372573Bottle Size: 750mlWINE & SPIRITS 90 POINTS “This is Matthew Argyros’s flagship Santorini, a cuvee of old-vine fruit gently pressed, then aged for a short time on the lees. It’s steely and lean, the clarity of the chalky flavors giving it an electric feel. It lasts, shimmering with minerality, as white as Santorini’s chalk caves, redolent with salinity.”
The Argyros winery's estate vineyards are located primarily in Episkopi and Pyrgos, prime locations for Assyrtiko. The ungrafted vines range in age from 30 to over 150 years. The volcanic soil is naturally immune to many vineyard pests. The vines are trained into the traditional basket-shaped bowls. Estate Argyros practices sustainable viticulture. They use composted grape must as fertilizer and use mules to plow the vineyards.
Assyrtiko is a grape variety native to Santorini and considered by many to be the finest Greek white grape. Decanter praises this fascinating grape variety's 's aromas of "sea shells, pungent lemon zest, white flowers, volcanic ash and salt notes." In the mouth they found this very dry wine "mouthfilling and complex with lingering intensity."
- Item #: i_372436Bottle Size: 750MLDECANTER 90 POINTS!“100% Assyrtiko. A fruit driven, aromatic nose shows green apple and pear notes, underripe peach and nectarine and some fermentation aromas. On the palate it is crisp, with a refreshing hint of residual CO2. Saline and easy to appreciate; wonderful as an aperitif or with light dishes.”
WINE ADVOCATE: "The Thalassitis, the producer's unoaked, old-vine Assyrtiko, is always one of the more elegant wines and one with a fresher, livelier feel. It is never ponderous. Bright and perky, this seems graceful and easy until the finish shows that extra bit of tension as it dances across the palate. Like most fine Assyrtiko these days, there are layers and hidden secrets. It shows far better the next day, putting on weight and demonstrating the ability to improve in the glass as it warms and airs. As it expands in the glass, it becomes even more impressive. It will hold nicely and become more interesting in a year or two. Crisp and easy to adore even now, though, this is in good form this year."
- Item #: i_372498Bottle Size: 750mlA dry and crisp retsina rich with lemon and smooth pine tasting notes, the long aftertaste is clean and fresh. This light- to medium-bodied retsina makes an ideal accompaniment to traditional Greek cuisine, of course, but also works with charcuterie and fried fish.
- Item #: i_372582Bottle Size: 500mlThis top quality Retsina is made from a 50/50 blend of Assyrtiko and Roditis and small amounts of Aleppo Pine resin added during fermentation. It has a lemon yellow color and faint pinewood tones along with notes of citrus and jasmine. The finish is long with traces orange and grapefruit flavors.
- Item #: i_372441Bottle Size: 750mlMavrodaphni (or Mavrodafni) of Patras is not a winery, but a type of wine produced around the city of Patra, in Peloponnese, Greece. This is a deep, dark and sweet fortified wine, similar to Port, although it is made in a solera system (younger wine is added to older wine) like that of Sherry. The wine is produced from the grape of the same name.
- Item #: i_306863Bottle Size: 750MLThis Skouras red displays aromas of dark berries; on the mouth there are blackberry and plum flavors leading to a clean dry finish. One of the most noble of the Greek red grapes, Aghiorghitiko (St. George) is grown mainly in the AOC region Nemea in the Peloponnese. It produces wines that stand out for their deep red color and remarkable aromatic complexity and soft tannins.
- Item #: i_372599Bottle Size: 750mlThe Skouras 2018 Salto Moscofilero is an aromatic, dry white with a lively feel and vivid flavor. Sourced from vines at 2000 feet, and fermented with native yeast it is lively, crisp, elegant and has great texture. On the nose you find aromas of citrus blossoms followed by flavors of citrus and white peaches on the palate. It lingers beautifully on the long, very dry finish. Only 500 cases made.
- Item #: i_372372Bottle Size: 750mlThe Skouras Zoe Red is made from 90% Aghiorghitiko and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon sourced from 20-year-old vines grown in clay and sandy soils at 500 meters of elevation in the Peloponnese. The wine is fermented in stainless steel vats after a short maceration. It undergoes full malolactic fermentation and short ageing over fine lees. The color is brilliant: medium-strength violet with pink hues. On the nose it is vivid and intense with aromas of black cherries, blackberries, hints of plums, violets and dried herbs. On the palate it has medium body, moderate acidity with smooth tannins – all in harmony. The aftertaste is moderate with a gentle note of anise seed.
- Item #: i_372462Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Aromatic with aromas of white flowers and white peaches, the Skouras 2019 Moscofilero has good fruit in the mouth yet a clean and crisp finish. It is a dry wine with a lively feel and vivid flavor. Sourced from vines at 650 meters, this is always crisp and elegant. The fruit is always elevated. Then, it just coats the palate, despite its elegant demeanor. It lingers beautifully on the long, dry finish.
- Item #: i_372571Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Terra Petra Rapsani is a typical regional blend, mostly Xinomavro with 35% Krassato and 15% Stavroto. It was aged for 15 months in 50% new oak (75/25 French and Austrian) and comes in at 13.5% alcohol. This is a very elegant and refined bottling that shows good acidity and focus. It is neither fleshy nor rich. Its suave demeanor with that old-school finesse in the mid-palate makes it a pleasure to drink. There's nothing jammy here. With air, it does expand a bit in the glass and still coats the palate nicely. The spicy finish is also refined—the tannins are never hard—and long. The flavors linger nicely."
- Item #: i_369011Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 90 POINTS "Zippy, zesty and pure, with notes of local herbs...[and] red fruits; made with 40% whole bunches to amplify the juciness. Rustic, in a good way, ready-made for sausages and barbecued meat. Not just a drink-me-now wine: tasting back to 2007 (2006 was the first vintage) shows its longevity. Drink 2020-2023".
The Thymiopoulos family has owned vineyards in Naoussa for several generations. After he graduated from The University of Athens oenology program, Apostolos Thymiopoulos returned to his family’s vineyards and began producing wine for his own label, Thymiopoulos Vineyards. The first wine caught the attention of influential wine writers such as Nico Manessis and the UK’s Tom Stevenson. The beauty of his wines comes from the fact that Apostolos is able to coax out Xinomavro’s better qualities without high levels of acidity and tannin, making a wine that can be drunk now as well as cellared.
Tasting notes: purple red color. Complex, typical bouquet of red small fruits, cherry, blackberry, plum, sun-dried tomato, black olive, vanilla. Full mouth, rounded tannins, balanced acidity. Pleasant and long aftertaste.
- Item #: i_372342Bottle Size: 750mlAn aromatic white wine variety, Malagouzia, has been brought back to the center of attention by winemakers such as Vourvoukeli. This 100% Malagouzia is well rounded and full of freshness and acidity. All Vourvoukeli wines are organically farmed. Global Wine Awards Double Gold Medal.
- Item #: i_362310Bottle Size: 750mlThe Zafeirakis family has grown wine grapes in the region of Tyrnavos (Thessalia, in the east of central mainland Greece) for more than 100 years. Fourth generation winegrower Christos Zafeirakis studied enology in Athens and then earned a Master's Degree from the University of Milan, Italy. He also worked at wineries in Piedmont, Alto Adige and Tuscany to gain further experience. After his return to Greece he started farming organically and established a winery. In her book, Wine Grapes, Jancis Robinson credits Christos with reviving the red variety Limniona (not the same as Limnio) which was nearly extinct. Robinson says: "Zafeirakis' varietal Limniona, from vines densely planted in 2005 at 100 meters above sea level, is well coloured and spicy, medium-bodied, fresh, fragrant and silky, with good ageing potential." On the nose you find aromas of black cherry, plum and a fine herbs; in the mouth it is lush and elegant, displaying blue and red fruit flavors with soft tannins and good acidity on the finish.