Greece is one of the oldest wine-producing regions in the world. The earliest evidence of Greek wine has been dated to 6,500 years ago where wine was produced on a household or communal basis. In ancient times, as trade in wine became extensive, it was transported from end to end of the Mediterranean; Greek wine had especially high prestige in Italy under the Roman Empire. In the medieval period, wines exported from Crete, Monemvasia and other Greek ports fetched high prices in northern Europe.
- Item #: 300029Bottle Size: 750mlThis purple-red wine is composed of 100% Xinomavro. The forty-seven-year-old-vines are grown according to biodynamic principals in the Naoussa district at 400 to 500 meters altitude on limstone and volcanic soils. The wine is both approachable and complex. It features aromas and flavors of cherry, blackberry, plum, sun-dried tomatoes and a hint of olives on the finish. Serve with beef, lamb, duck or hard cheeses.
- Item #: i_372410Bottle Size: 750mlSourced from low-yield vineyards in the Naoussa area of Greece, this red is a blend of 50% Xinomavro, 20% Merlot and 30% Syrah. The Xinomavro (considered by wine writers to be the best Greek red variety) provides red fruit and refreshing acidity. The Merlot and Syrah offer more forward blue and red fruit flavors. Serve this with Mediterranean dishes, particularly beef or lamb.
- Item #: i_300039Bottle Size: 750mlAssyrtiko is a grape variety native to Santorini and considered by many to be the finest Greek white grape. Decanter praises this fascinating white's aromas of "sea shells, pungent lemon zest, white flowers, volcanic ash and salt notes." In the mouth they found this very dry white "mouthfilling and complex with lingering intensity." We love this white's richness balanced with crisp minerality on the finish. Try this with savory appetizers, fried calamari and grilled fish.
- Item #: i_303979Bottle Size: 750mlWine has been made in Crete since as far back as the Minoan civilization during the bronze age. This lovely rich red is a blend of two indigenous grape varieties: Kotsifali and Liatiko. In some vintages there may be a splash of Syrah as well. The grapes are organically farmed and for the last four years the winery has been adopting biodynamic methods. The 2012 Vorinos Red displays a bright ruby color with purple hues. The nose is complex with aromas of red fruits and hints of vanilla and spice. On the palate the wine is generous, round and balanced. Serve with beef, grilled lamb, pasta and cheese.
- Item #: 372339Bottle Size: 750mlROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS - "The 2013 Naoussa (the second vintage using 500 liter barrels) is predictably more lifted and balanced than the 2012, also reviewed. The vintage styles tend to lend themselves to that, the 2012s being a bit richer and softer, the 2013s a bit fresher and better structured. This 2013 has plenty of power, but also good balance. The fruit is nicely defined and lifted. It is fresh and delicious, bright and elegant. This should age pretty well, but I won't be surprised if it is approachable young. It may come around pretty fast."
- Item #: 372362Bottle Size: 750mlBack in 1924, Costas Semertzidis, grandfather of the winemaker Iordanis Michaelidis, arrived as a refugee from Asia Minor in Kyrgia, Drama and started producing wine. The small family winery developed significantly under Simos Michaelidis, who extended the vineyard, back in 1970, in an area called Lagotopos, being the one who updated and modernised the overall cultivation and production of wine. Originally known as Melachro (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah).With the addition of the Cabernet Franc variety it gets an extremely particular character and obtains excellent complexity.Stunningly good blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Merlot from the Drama region of Greece.
- Item #: 372409Bottle Size: 750mlThe 30 acres of the privately owned vineyard by Domaine Michaelidi expand amphitheatrically in Aghios Athanasios and Kyrgia, Drama. The place is situated in northeastern Greece, close to the site of Ancient Philippi, in the land of Edones which boasts of a wine tradition of 2.500 years.
- Item #: i_372382Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2011 Estate is all Xinomavro aged for 12 months in a 60/40 mixture of used and new French oak. It comes in at 12.5% alcohol. This, the current submission, is another beauty from this winery and a fine bargain. The sensibilities here always include good structure and fruit, The wines never lack for power or acidity, but they wind up in balance with time ... this is suberb, showing fine depth ... mid-palate finesse, a dry finish and a serious backbone. ... the juicy finish is impressive for its energy and flavor." Mark Squires, April 2018.
- Item #: i_372436Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS! "The 2016 Thalassitis, the producer's unoaked, old-vine Assyrtiko, is always one of the more elegant wines and one with a fresher, livelier feel. It is never ponderous. Bright and perky, this seems graceful and easy until the finish shows that extra bit of tension as it dances across the palate. Like most fine Assyrtiko these days, there are layers and hidden secrets. It shows far better the next day, putting on weight and demonstrating the ability to improve in the glass as it warms and airs. As it expands in the glass, it becomes even more impressive. It will hold nicely and become more interesting in a year or two. Crisp and easy to adore even now, though, this is in good form this year."
- Item #: 372383Bottle Size: 750mlRoditis produces medium bodied wines with high acidity and intense aromas of citrus, lime and green fruits. They are very flexible when matched with food, as they can accompany appetizers, salads, and light plates with vegetables.
- Item #: i_372385Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter 2018 World Wine Awards 98 points and Platinum - Best in Show. Pale green-gold in colour,with finely composed and settled aromas in which the quiet, understated sour-green fruit of the Assyrtico variety mingles with the distinctive crushed or powdered yet faintly burnt stone scents of Santorini's fine tephra soils. On the palate, this is an unusually broad, structured, almost thick-textured Assyrtico with the same profoundly satisfying combination of sour-green fruit and 'mineral' wealth; the wine has a notably saline edge, too. An outstanding summary of this unique terroir. 2018-2022.
- Item #: 372441Bottle Size: 750mlMavrodaphne (or Mavrodafni) of Patras is not a winery, but a type of wine produced around the city of Patra, in Peloponnese, Greece. This is a deep, dark and sweet fortified wine, similar to Port, although it is made in a solera system (younger wine is added to older wine) like that of Sherry. The wine is produced from the grape of the same name.
- Item #: i_300036Bottle Size: 750mlThis charming dry white, named after Mount Foloi, is made from a blend of Roditis and Viognier grown on a plateau that is 650 meters above sea level. Pale in color, this white is highly aromatic. The nose displays fruits and flowers; on the palate you find very pleasant stone fruit flavors (white peaches or nectarines); the finish is clean and dry with crisp acidity. This will accompany appetizers by the pool or light fish, seafood and chicken dishes.Located in the Western Peloponnese, the Mercouri Estate was founded in 1860 and the first vines, cuttings from Italy, were planted in 1870. In 1990, the third and fourth generations of the Mercouri family began replanting the vineyards and renovated and modernized the winery. Their white and red wines are becoming well known on the international market.
- Item #: i_372373Bottle Size: 750mlCrisp acidity and a gorgeous, aromatic nose lead on this elegant white. Though mineral-driven, it offers generous white peach and grapefruit flavors that will pair well with fuller-bodied fish. Impressive and versatile.
- Item #: i_372455Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS!
Assyrtiko, from the volcanic island of Santorini, is perhaps the finest white wine from Greece. Wonderfully elegant and finishing with a crisp, even salty, nuance, the Sigalas 2017 shows impeccable balance. Its best feature is the lingering and intense minerality, finishing with plenty of tension and grip. It has far more power than it seems on a casual sip and that power doesn't go away as the wine airs and warms. This is another beauty from Sigalas, a delightful white that has a lot of upside potential still.
"The 2017 Santorini Assyrtiko, the flagship 100% Assyrtiko (which I have often called in the past either Assyrtiko or Santorini, as both fit) is unoaked and comes in at 14.5% alcohol. Maybe it was just due to my tasting this next to some of the brilliant 2016s this issue, but this seemed rather understated by comparison and a bit off of its normal brilliance. Then, I went back and did what I find is important to do when tasting quality young Assyrtiko—taste it again the next day. Sometimes, you might need two days. Or three. Decanting helps, too—a simple taste is not always revealing. If I was somewhat unimpressed with this originally, on the second day it was suddenly interesting, even exciting. "Understated" is the last word to use. It exploded in the glass. Showing fine freshness despite its size, it is simply gripping on the finish, filled with energy and very tense. It is also very concentrated. The wine doesn't seem thick exactly, but it is actually a little unctuous as it sits on the palate, showing how ripe and rich the fruit is. It fills the mouth. For all that, it seems to keep its balance." Mark Squires.
- Item #: i_306863Bottle Size: 750MLThis Skouras red displays aromas of dark berries; on the mouth there are blackberry and plum flavors leading to a clean dry finish. One of the most noble of the Greek red grapes, Aghiorghitiko (St. George) is grown mainly in the AOC region Nemea in the Peloponnese. It produces wines that stand out for their deep red color and remarkable aromatic complexity and soft tannins.
- Item #: i_372509Bottle Size: 750mlThe first impression in its aroma is that of the barrel’s wood, while notes of white pepper and cumin start to develop discreetly. In the mouth it seems young with pungent tannins which create however, a pleasant ensemble. Warm mouth-feel with good acidity, firm tannins, and lingering red fruit and spice. Ideally paired with rich dishes; grilled or stewed (veal & casseroles), yellow, spicy cheeses, or fricassee of lamb with lettuce.
- Item #: 372405Bottle Size: 750mlVidiano is an ancient Cretan variety which was fading into extinction before being revived by young winemakers.
Medium intensity aromas of yellow and citrus fruits, which are combined with a little more intense aromas of chamomile, jasmine and spices. Full and rich flavour presenting the tasting characteristics of apricot and flowers. Very pleasant, balanced acidity and fine finish.
- Item #: 372508Bottle Size: 750mlThis delicius red from the Avdira PGI of Greece is a blend of Limnio, Syrah and Pamidi. It features rich, elegant aromas and flavors of black cherry.
- Item #: 362383Bottle Size: 750mlFascinating blend of Merlot, Syrah and the ancient greek varietal, Pamidi. Dark cherry aromas and flavors; medium to full bodied; long finish.
- Item #: 372342Bottle Size: 750mlORGANIC FARMING
Soft golden color. Basil, lemongrass, and asparagus flavors along with white flowers followed by rich aromas of tropical fruit, pineapple, guava as well as green gooseberry, tart quince and ripe citrus. Dry on the palate, with high acidity and full body. Long aftertaste."
- Item #: i_362604Bottle Size: 750mlLimnio (LIM-nee-oh) is a red Greek wine grape variety that is indigenous to the Greek island of Lemnos. The grape has had a long history of wine production that dates back to ancient times.
This dry red wine exhibits soft fruit aromas of cherry, plums, and pomegranate, as well as spicier notes of cedar, chocolate, cardamom, and curry. Subtle oak perfumes imparted by its 6 months of maturation in oak barrels round out the nose. Full-bodied yet elegant, the wine provides a dry and citrusy mouthfeel with flavors of red fruits, spices, and dark chocolate.