Greece is one of the oldest wine-producing regions in the world. The earliest evidence of Greek wine has been dated to 6,500 years ago where wine was produced on a household or communal basis. In ancient times, as trade in wine became extensive, it was transported from end to end of the Mediterranean; Greek wine had especially high prestige in Italy under the Roman Empire. In the medieval period, wines exported from Crete, Monemvasia and other Greek ports fetched high prices in northern Europe.
- Item #: i_372514Bottle Size: 750mlThis incredible white is composed of 90% Assyrtiko, 7% Aidani and 3% Athiri grown in vineyards located adjacent to the villages of Pyrgos and Megalochori, Santorini. The vines are ungrafted, dry-farmed and over 80 years old. The microclimate in Santorini is characterized as semi-desert, hot during the day and cooler at night. The vineyards benefit from the sea air and humidity. On the nose you find aromas of lemon-lime zest and pure volcanic earth. Chalky saline notes and crisp minerality in the mouth lead to a long finish.
- Item #: i_372513Bottle Size: 750mlThis outstanding dry rose is made from a blend of organically farmed Xinomavro, Limniona and Cabernet Sauvignon. On the nose you find notes of strawberries and cherries. On the palate the fruit is rich but the wine is crisp and dry on the smooth, clean finish. The grapes were fermented in stainless steel or concrete tanks and the wine was aged on its lees for 4 to 6 months before bottling.
- Item #: i_372344Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the new generations of winemakers in Nemea, Chris Barafakas ages this Agiorgitiko in oak barrels. With just the right amount of oak this Nemea is distinguished for its fruit and soft tannins. A very fresh style from a producer to keep an eye on.
- Item #: i_300099Bottle Size: 750mlThe Estate Argyros Cuvee Monsignori 2017 Assyrtiko is made from from ungrafted estate vines with root systems that are 200+ years old. Only 5% of the wine spent 6 months in used barrel. It's getting great press: 96 points Decanter, 17/20 Jancis Robinson.
- Item #: i_372573Bottle Size: 750mlWINE & SPIRITS 90 POINTS “This is Matthew Argyros’s flagship Santorini, a cuvee of old-vine fruit gently pressed, then aged for a short time on the lees. It’s steely and lean, the clarity of the chalky flavors giving it an electric feel. It lasts, shimmering with minerality, as white as Santorini’s chalk caves, redolent with salinity.”
The Argyros winery's estate vineyards are located primarily in Episkopi and Pyrgos, prime locations for Assyrtiko. The ungrafted vines range in age from 30 to over 150 years. The volcanic soil is naturally immune to many vineyard pests. The vines are trained into the traditional basket-shaped bowls. Estate Argyros practices sustainable viticulture. They use composted grape must as fertilizer and use mules to plow the vineyards.
Assyrtiko is a grape variety native to Santorini and considered by many to be the finest Greek white grape. Decanter praises this fascinating grape variety's 's aromas of "sea shells, pungent lemon zest, white flowers, volcanic ash and salt notes." In the mouth they found this very dry wine "mouthfilling and complex with lingering intensity."
- Item #: i_372347Bottle Size: 750mlEric Asimov, writing in the New York Times, describes Gaia as "one of Greece’s best modern wineries." Since 1998, Gaia's winemaker and founder, Yiannis Paraskevopoulos has been trying to redefine retsina as a proud custom rather than a genre to be shunned. Mr. Paraskevopoulos makes the Gaia Ritinitis from Roditis grapes — "which can make fresh, spicy wines — grown at relatively high altitudes, 2,300 to 3,300 feet above sea level. He also paid close attention to the quality of the resin, he said, making sure it was especially fresh. The result was a refreshing, invigorating wine, with a bright pungency that seems ready-made for Greek cooking in all its garlicky, herbal glory. Though retsina is primarily a white wine (and occasionally a rosé), it goes beautifully with roasted lamb, its punchy flavors refusing to knuckle under to the savory meat. I have also found retsina to be a wonderful partner for spicy Indian food."
- Item #: i_372561Bottle Size: 750ml60% Syrah, 40% Agiogitiko
Dark purple in color with bright violet reflections, this intensely-hued wine is full-bodied and aromatic. The nose is dominated by a bouquet of ripe cherries and plums, followed by hints of chocolate, smoke and vanilla. Well-balanced, with a rich mouthfeel and velvety tannins, this red blend has a long, fruit-forward finish, with a light touch of oak. It will continue to evolve and develop more complex flavors over the next 10 years.
- Item #: i_372441Bottle Size: 750mlMavrodaphni (or Mavrodafni) of Patras is not a winery, but a type of wine produced around the city of Patra, in Peloponnese, Greece. This is a deep, dark and sweet fortified wine, similar to Port, although it is made in a solera system (younger wine is added to older wine) like that of Sherry. The wine is produced from the grape of the same name.
- Item #: i_372373Bottle Size: 750mlWINE & SPIRITS 95 POINTS "Founded in 1947, this cooperative has some 1,200 grower-members, giving winemaker Nikos Varvarigos access to a wide variety of terroirs. For this cuvee, he prioritized fruit from Pirgos and Imerovigli, two of the highest points on the island, where the grapes ripen more slowly. This was particularly relevant in 2018, the earliest harvest he'd ever seen in his 33 years of winemaking. Vinified in stainless steel and left for 14 months on its lees, it's a lush, expansive Santorini from its sunny lemon scents to its mouthfilling texture. The flavors are ripe, from pineapple to golden raisin, yet they're balanced by a strong mineral impression, like the scent of hot sand. It holds its form and flavors for days after the bottle is opened, the powerful structure promising that this will just get more complex with age. Whenever you open it, make sure you have some lamb or meaty fish on hand. *Best Buy*"
- Item #: i_306863Bottle Size: 750MLThis Skouras red displays aromas of dark berries; on the mouth there are blackberry and plum flavors leading to a clean dry finish. One of the most noble of the Greek red grapes, Aghiorghitiko (St. George) is grown mainly in the AOC region Nemea in the Peloponnese. It produces wines that stand out for their deep red color and remarkable aromatic complexity and soft tannins.
- Item #: i_372599Bottle Size: 750mlThe Skouras 2018 Salto Moscofilero is an aromatic, dry white with a lively feel and vivid flavor. Sourced from vines at 2000 feet, and fermented with native yeast it is lively, crisp, elegant and has great texture. On the nose you find aromas of citrus blossoms followed by flavors of citrus and white peaches on the palate. It lingers beautifully on the long, very dry finish. Only 500 cases made.
- Item #: i_372372Bottle Size: 750mlThe Skouras Zoe Red is made from 90% Aghiorghitiko and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon sourced from 20-year-old vines grown in clay and sandy soils at 500 meters of elevation in the Peloponnese. The wine is fermented in stainless steel vats after a short maceration. It undergoes full malolactic fermentation and short ageing over fine lees. The color is brilliant: medium-strength violet with pink hues. On the nose it is vivid and intense with aromas of black cherries, blackberries, hints of plums, violets and dried herbs. On the palate it has medium body, moderate acidity with smooth tannins – all in harmony. The aftertaste is moderate with a gentle note of anise seed.
- Item #: i_372462Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Aromatic with aromas of white flowers and white peaches, the Skouras 2019 Moscofilero has good fruit in the mouth yet a clean and crisp finish. It is a dry wine with a lively feel and vivid flavor. Sourced from vines at 650 meters, this is always crisp and elegant. The fruit is always elevated. Then, it just coats the palate, despite its elegant demeanor. It lingers beautifully on the long, dry finish.
- Item #: i_372571Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Terra Petra Rapsani is a typical regional blend, mostly Xinomavro with 35% Krassato and 15% Stavroto. It was aged for 15 months in 50% new oak (75/25 French and Austrian) and comes in at 13.5% alcohol. This is a very elegant and refined bottling that shows good acidity and focus. It is neither fleshy nor rich. Its suave demeanor with that old-school finesse in the mid-palate makes it a pleasure to drink. There's nothing jammy here. With air, it does expand a bit in the glass and still coats the palate nicely. The spicy finish is also refined—the tannins are never hard—and long. The flavors linger nicely."
- Item #: i_362383Bottle Size: 750mlFascinating blend of Merlot, Syrah and the ancient greek varietal, Pamidi. Dark cherry aromas and flavors; medium to full bodied; long finish.
- Item #: i_372342Bottle Size: 750mlAn aromatic white wine variety, Malagouzia, has been brought back to the center of attention by winemakers such as Vourvoukeli. This 100% Malagouzia is well rounded and full of freshness and acidity. All Vourvoukeli wines are organically farmed. Global Wine Awards Double Gold Medal.
- Item #: i_362310Bottle Size: 750mlThe Zafeirakis family has grown wine grapes in the region of Tyrnavos (Thessalia, in the east of central mainland Greece) for more than 100 years. Fourth generation winegrower Christos Zafeirakis studied enology in Athens and then earned a Master's Degree from the University of Milan, Italy. He also worked at wineries in Piedmont, Alto Adige and Tuscany to gain further experience. After his return to Greece he started farming organically and established a winery. In her book, Wine Grapes, Jancis Robinson credits Christos with reviving the red variety Limniona (not the same as Limnio) which was nearly extinct. Robinson says: "Zafeirakis' varietal Limniona, from vines densely planted in 2005 at 100 meters above sea level, is well coloured and spicy, medium-bodied, fresh, fragrant and silky, with good ageing potential." On the nose you find aromas of black cherry, plum and a fine herbs; in the mouth it is lush and elegant, displaying blue and red fruit flavors with soft tannins and good acidity on the finish.