Greece is one of the oldest wine-producing regions in the world. The earliest evidence of Greek wine has been dated to 6,500 years ago where wine was produced on a household or communal basis. In ancient times, as trade in wine became extensive, it was transported from end to end of the Mediterranean; Greek wine had especially high prestige in Italy under the Roman Empire. In the medieval period, wines exported from Crete, Monemvasia and other Greek ports fetched high prices in northern Europe.
- Item #: i_372514Bottle Size: 750mlThis incredible white is composed of 90% Assyrtiko, 7% Aidani and 3% Athiri grown in vineyards located adjacent to the villages of Pyrgos and Megalochori, Santorini. The vines are ungrafted, dry-farmed and over 80 years old. The microclimate in Santorini is characterized as semi-desert, hot during the day and cooler at night. The vineyards benefit from the sea air and humidity. On the nose you find aromas of lemon-lime zest and pure volcanic earth. Chalky saline notes and crisp minerality in the mouth lead to a long finish.
- Item #: i_372515Bottle Size: 750mlEnjoy a glass of Natural Orange wine from ANATOLIKOS VINEYARDS Orange/amber color with earthy and complex aromas of nuts and... roasted almonds, dried fruits, citrus jams, acacia honey, tea and spices. Soft tannins with balanced acidity, complex and lingering finish. Assyrtiko and Malagouzia.
- Item #: i_372513Bottle Size: 750mlThis outstanding dry rose is made from a blend of organically farmed Xinomavro, Limniona and Cabernet Sauvignon. On the nose you find notes of strawberries and cherries. On the palate the fruit is rich but the wine is crisp and dry on the smooth, clean finish. The grapes were fermented in stainless steel or concrete tanks and the wine was aged on its lees for 4 to 6 months before bottling.
- Item #: i_300039Bottle Size: 750mlAssyrtiko is a grape variety native to Santorini and considered by many to be the finest Greek white grape. Decanter praises this fascinating white's aromas of "sea shells, pungent lemon zest, white flowers, volcanic ash and salt notes." In the mouth they found this very dry white "mouthfilling and complex with lingering intensity." We love this white's richness balanced with crisp minerality on the finish. Try this with savory appetizers, fried calamari and grilled fish.
- Item #: i_372570Bottle Size: 750mlCertified Organic. Doric White is actually an "orange" wine made from organically farmed traditional Greek varieties Roditis (85%) and Malagousia (15%). The grapes were manually harvested, hand selected, destemmed, macerated for 5 days, fermented with the native yeasts in open wood vats for five days then placed in stainless steel tanks for 50 days. Fir branches and thyme were put on top of the cap. The resin secretion from the fir supports a no sulfur added bottling. This traditionally vinified "white' displays a bright orange/golden color, fine forest fruit aromas, a balanced body, soft tannins and a long aftertaste.
Giorgos Balatsouras has been farming and vinifying local grapes in the village of Koniakos, close to the oracle of Delphi, with organic certification, since 1988. Koniakos sits in a fir forest at an altiude of 800 meters. The continental/alpine micro-climate creates favorable conditions for slow spontaneous fermentations. There is no irrigation and open wood fermenters are covered with fir branches (and thyme) weighted down by river stones to keep the grape skins submereged in their must. The soil is limestone with excellent drainage.
- Item #: i_372344Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the new generations of winemakers in Nemea, Chris Barafakas ages this Agiorgitiko in oak barrels. With just the right amount of oak this Nemea is distinguished for its fruit and soft tannins. A very fresh style from a producer to keep an eye on.
- Item #: i_372347Bottle Size: 750mlEric Asimov, writing in the New York Times, describes Gaia as "one of Greece’s best modern wineries." Since 1998, Gaia's winemaker and founder, Yiannis Paraskevopoulos has been trying to redefine retsina as a proud custom rather than a genre to be shunned. Mr. Paraskevopoulos makes the Gaia Ritinitis from Roditis grapes — "which can make fresh, spicy wines — grown at relatively high altitudes, 2,300 to 3,300 feet above sea level. He also paid close attention to the quality of the resin, he said, making sure it was especially fresh. The result was a refreshing, invigorating wine, with a bright pungency that seems ready-made for Greek cooking in all its garlicky, herbal glory. Though retsina is primarily a white wine (and occasionally a rosé), it goes beautifully with roasted lamb, its punchy flavors refusing to knuckle under to the savory meat. I have also found retsina to be a wonderful partner for spicy Indian food."
- Item #: i_372569Bottle Size: 1.5LYou may have heard of bag in a box wines; this container is a bag in a bag to keep the wine fresh. It is composed of organically farmed (certified and biodynamic) Chardonnay (90%) and Savatiano (10%)grown by the Georgas Family in Attica, Greece. The wine was fermented in stainless steel with native yeasts and one day of skin contact.
- Item #: i_372498Bottle Size: 750mlA dry and crisp retsina rich with lemon and smooth pine tasting notes, the long aftertaste is clean and fresh. This light- to medium-bodied retsina makes an ideal accompaniment to traditional Greek cuisine, of course, but also works with charcuterie and fried fish.
- Item #: i_372385Bottle Size: 750mlMany wine lovers looking for crisp dry whites with citrus and mineral flavors have discovered the grape variety Assyrtiko. The best Assyrtikos are from the volcanic Greek island of Santorini where wine has been made for thousands of years.
Decanter 2019 World Wine Awards 93 points. - Pale green-gold in colour,with finely composed and settled aromas in which the quiet, understated sour-green fruit of the Assyrtico variety mingles with the distinctive crushed or powdered yet faintly burnt stone scents of Santorini's fine tephra soils. On the palate, this is an unusually broad, structured, almost thick-textured Assyrtico with the same profoundly satisfying combination of sour-green fruit and 'mineral' wealth; the wine has a notably saline edge, too. An outstanding summary of this unique terroir.
- Item #: i_372561Bottle Size: 750ml60% Syrah, 40% Agiogitiko
Dark purple in color with bright violet reflections, this intensely-hued wine is full-bodied and aromatic. The nose is dominated by a bouquet of ripe cherries and plums, followed by hints of chocolate, smoke and vanilla. Well-balanced, with a rich mouthfeel and velvety tannins, this red blend has a long, fruit-forward finish, with a light touch of oak. It will continue to evolve and develop more complex flavors over the next 10 years.
- Item #: i_372441Bottle Size: 750mlMavrodaphne (or Mavrodafni) of Patras is not a winery, but a type of wine produced around the city of Patra, in Peloponnese, Greece. This is a deep, dark and sweet fortified wine, similar to Port, although it is made in a solera system (younger wine is added to older wine) like that of Sherry. The wine is produced from the grape of the same name.
OENOGENESIS EN OENO 17 ROSE (DRY), DRAMA, GREECE 85% GRENACHE/15% CABERNET SAUVIGNON ORGANICALLY FARMEDItem #: i_372568Bottle Size: 750mlThis saignee style dry rose is made from organically farmed Grenache (85%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (15%) from PGI Drama, Greece. The grapes were cold soaked for six hours then fermented in stainless steel with five months on the lees. The wine has a lovely salmon color; on the nose you find aromas of roses and wildflowers. In the mouth the fruit and acidity are perfectly balanced and the wine finishes with fresh white peach flavors.
- Item #: i_372455Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Domaine Sigalas was founded in 1991 by Paris Sigalas, Christos Markozane and Yiannis Toundas. Initially, Sigalas made his wine at the converted Sigalas family home. In 1998 a new vinification, bottling and aging unit was built in a privately owned area of Oia, on the northern part of Santorini.
Sigalas has been a pioneer in the organic viticulture and has participated in a government organic farming methods program since 1994. Paris Sigalas remains committed to the founding principles of Domaine Sigalas - a creative relationship with the tradition, the Santorini Vineyards as well as the use of the best in winemaking technology and experience.
- Item #: i_306863Bottle Size: 750MLThis Skouras red displays aromas of dark berries; on the mouth there are blackberry and plum flavors leading to a clean dry finish. One of the most noble of the Greek red grapes, Aghiorghitiko (St. George) is grown mainly in the AOC region Nemea in the Peloponnese. It produces wines that stand out for their deep red color and remarkable aromatic complexity and soft tannins.
- Item #: i_372462Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Aromatic with aromas of white flowers and white peaches, the Skouras 2018 Moscofilero has good fruit in the mouth yet a clean and crisp finish. It is a dry wine with a lively feel and vivid flavor. Sourced from vines at 650 meters, this is always crisp and elegant. The fruit is always elevated. Then, it just coats the palate, despite its elegant demeanor. It lingers beautifully on the long, dry finish.
- Item #: i_372372Bottle Size: 750mlThe Skouras Zoe Red is made from 90% Aghiorghitiko and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon sourced from 20-year-old vines grown in clay and sandy soils at 500 meters of elevation in the Peloponnese. The wine is fermented in stainless steel vats after a short maceration. It undergoes full malolactic fermentation and short ageing over fine lees. The color is brilliant: medium-strength violet with pink hues. On the nose it is vivid and intense with aromas of black cherries, blackberries, hints of plums, violets and dried herbs. On the palate it has medium body, moderate acidity with smooth tannins – all in harmony. The aftertaste is moderate with a gentle note of anise seed.
- Item #: i_372571Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Terra Petra Rapsani is a typical regional blend, mostly Xinomavro with 35% Krassato and 15% Stavroto. It was aged for 15 months in 50% new oak (75/25 French and Austrian) and comes in at 13.5% alcohol. This is a very elegant and refined bottling that shows good acidity and focus. It is neither fleshy nor rich. Its suave demeanor with that old-school finesse in the mid-palate makes it a pleasure to drink. There's nothing jammy here. With air, it does expand a bit in the glass and still coats the palate nicely. The spicy finish is also refined—the tannins are never hard—and long. The flavors linger nicely."
- Item #: i_362383Bottle Size: 750mlFascinating blend of Merlot, Syrah and the ancient greek varietal, Pamidi. Dark cherry aromas and flavors; medium to full bodied; long finish.
- Item #: i_372342Bottle Size: 750mlAn aromatic white wine variety, Malagouzia, has been brought back to the center of attention by winemakers such as Vourvoukeli. This 100% Malagouzia is well rounded and full of freshness and acidity. All Vourvoukeli wines are organically farmed. Global Wine Awards Double Gold Medal.
- Item #: i_362604Bottle Size: 750mlLimnio, one of Greece’s oldest grape varieties, has a similar alcohol level and spiciness to the Merlots and Syrahs familiar to the American wine palate.
Winemaker Giorgos Vourvoukelis applies modern winemaking techniques to perfect a fresh style of Limnio. Get acquainted with this must-try and see why many are calling it "The Best Red Wine of 2018."