- Item #: i_333545Bottle Size: 750MLThe de Villaines farm three appellations within the Côte Chalonaise, namely Bouzeron (Aligoté), Rully (Chardonnay) and Mercurey (Pinot Noir). Their single-vineyard parcels are stunning examples of what this complex and amazing terroir can yield. Though their wines are quite enjoyable young, their ability to age well is what one might expect from a master such as de Villaine. Much of this is due to both the diversity of his vinestock and his organic and biodynamic methodology in the vineyards, both of which Aubert stands by with great conviction. He also ferments his Mercureys in wood cuves, a style adopted from DRC.
- Item #: i_345449Bottle Size: 750MLAubert de Villaine may be more famous for managing the legendary estate of Domaine de la Romanée Conti (DRC) but his passion for producing exemplary Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Aligoté does not begin and end with the wines from the Cote de Beaune. Truth be told, his true winemaking love lies south of those world renowned vineyards in the Cote Chalonaise district, one of Burgundy's best-kept secrets. The greatness of Aubert's wines cannot be overstated. They are among the finest that the region has to offer and are the ultimate expression of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. His innovative approach to winemaking spans the pages of time, incorporating tradition with a modernist’s mastery for precision and truth. Designed for immediate consumption or moderate to long-term aging, the red and white wines from Aubert's Maconnais vineyards are a must-have for anyone who is passionate about the wines of Burgundy.
- Item #: i_345448Bottle Size: 750MLBIODYNAMIC
Fermentation and aging is identical to the Fortune and Digoine except the wine stays in tank for 14-17 days during fermentation In general, this style of fermentation depends exclusively on the quality of the grapes that enters the cellar. The balance and vibrancy in these wines comes from the quality of the grapes, the level of maturity, their cleanliness, and the quality of the skin. If everything is in balance, the wines will express their village of origin to reveal their native terroir.
- Item #: i_353438Bottle Size: 750mlThis highly aromatic Côte de Brouilly oozes with flavors of kirsch, crushed rocks, potpourri, and ripe raspberries. Juicy and fresh, the wine’s tangy acidity and structured backbone lead to a long finish. Drink over the next five years.
- Item #: i_353801Bottle Size: 750mlAnne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.
- Item #: i_350552Bottle Size: 750mlSubtle, harmonious - Burgundy from Domaine Anne Gros is intimately tied with the elegant and poised character of wines from Vosne-Romanée.
While each cru faithfully reflects its terroir, it is terroir as translated through Gros’ expert touch, offering richer aromatics, rounder curves, silkier tannins. The combination is irresistible, so much so that Gros’ very limited production is snapped up by global collectors faster and faster each vintage.
Anne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.
Anne Gros cares for her vineyards according to “lutte raisonée” principles, adhering to organic practices as much as possible depending on the conditions of the growing year. Grapes are always harvested by hand. Juice is fermented on indigenous yeasts in lined (enameled) cement tanks for the reds, and in stainless steel tanks for the whites. Wines are aged in barrel for approximately 16 months, with 80 percent new oak for grand cru wines, 50 percent for village wines and 30 percent for regional wines.
- Item #: i_351823Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93-95VINOUS 93 POINTS: "The 2018 Clos de Vougeot le Grand Maupertui Grand Cru has a little more fruité on the nose compared to the Echézeaux, offering cranberry, raspberry and light aromas of damp woodland. The palate is medium-bodied with crunchy red fruit, fine acidity and a lightly spiced, quite linear finish that feels persistent and satisfying. Superb."
- Item #: i_350553Bottle Size: 750mlThis higher altitude Vosne exhibits a strong personality, the depth of colour can most certainly be connected to the iron present in this dark soil. Regardless of the vintage, the acidity in the wines of this parcel give them an excellent aptitude for ageing. It is an interesting balance of freshness (northern exposure) and maturity, of mineral and fruit.
- Item #: i_353858Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Gevrey-Chambertin Village comes from four hectares of old vines worked by Arnaud Mortet himself. It has a crisp, focused bouquet, quite mineral-driven, with so much freshness. The very well-defined palate features pure red and black fruit tinged with brown spice. Silky-smooth on the finish, this feels very complete and harmonious. Superb."
- Item #: i_353936Bottle Size: 750mlBen and his team carefully guide the vineyard work, for the most part carried out by the owners. Vines are plowed and are at least lutte raisonne´e, while many are organic or biodynamic. When Ben deems necessary, his team carries out green harvest themselves. All vines are harvested by Ben’s team and grapes are sorted at the winery in Beaune. Ben’s cuverie is fitted with state of the art equipment.
- Item #: i_353938Bottle Size: 750mlUsing roughly 30% whole bunches and 20% new oak, Leroux has sculpted a seductive Chambolle that opens with a measure of controlled flamboyance before segueing into something more suave, sappy and refreshing. Much like the Volnay, Vosne and Gevrey village wines, this is all class and is sold well short by the review below.
- Item #: i_352593Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTE: This blend is almost exclusively from domain grapes. The lieux-dits are sprinkled throughout Meursault: Les Criots is on the Volnay side, Au Moulin Landin is in the center, Les Millerands is closer to Puligny, and the Bois de Blagny has a higher elevation (giving tension and minerality to the blend).
- Item #: i_351151Bottle Size: 750mlA Promising Star in Meursault that You Should Not Miss - Bernard-Bonin
We have worked hard in search for the next big names in Meursault after Coche Dury, Arnaud Ente and Comtes Lafon. After discussing with a few Burgundians, we were pointed towards a domaine managed by a lovely couple Nicolas Benard and Veronique Bonin since 1998 - Domaine Bernard-Bonin. Nicolas and Veronique together own a 7-hectare domaine in which they have carefully crafted their wines to very high standard thus getting them on the radar of the Burgundians. Bernard-Bonin is known to produce fresh, rich, mineral and vibrant styles of Meursault. Grapes are picked earlier than usual to retain the acidity and balance out the fat of Meursault which follows with 15-18 months of ageing the wine in oak barrels. We believe it would be wise to taste their wines now and start collecting before their prices begin soaring as more and more people get familiar with this domaine. Here we have selected a few for your selection
- Item #: i_353336Bottle Size: 750mlPasses of first smoky notes, evoking toasted sesame and flint, it is indeed the spring freshness that illuminates this elegant and intense Folatières. Lemon zest, honeysuckle, apple blossom, a mineral touch evoking the wet pebble, an iodized nuance of oyster shell, fresh hazelnut, wild mint and coriander: the bouquet, versatile as desired, shows a great distinction. A few brioche touches and a delicate nuance of acacia honey provide just the right amount of gluttony, while the fruit expresses itself in all its truth, with frank flavors of pear, Reinette apple and nectarine. If still very young, this Puligny 1 er Cru Folatières has a dense material but perfectly sheathed by a stimulating acidity, with lemony flavors. Let there be no mistake: there is a huge underlying structure, with fat and lamb's lettuce, which requires only a few years in the cellar to unfold fully and nest perfectly with this ubiquitous mineral tension.
- Item #: i_353244Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90VINOUS 90 POINTS - "The 2018 Bourgogne Chardonnay, which had been bottled by the time of my visit, has a clean, precise apple blossom and citrus-scented bouquet that shows impressive definition for a generic white Burgundy. The palate is taut and fresh with a touch of bitter lemon on the entry, superb acidity and a saline finish. You will not find a better white Bourgogne Blanc in 2018."
- Item #: i_353240Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92-94VINOUS 92-94 POINTS - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet Champs Gain 1er Cru, the smallest cuvée of the domaine, this year represented by two barrels, has a gorgeous bouquet of citrus lemon, almond flakes, nectarine and subtle praline aromas. The palate is very well balanced with a fine bead of acidity, sharing the same weight and density as the La Maltroye but leading to a slightly more mineral-edged, almost stoic finish. This will be fascinating to monitor in bottle."
- Item #: i_353921Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92-94VINOUS 92-94 - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chenevottes 1er Cru has a beautifully defined bouquet of yellow plum, linseed and citrus lemon scents complemented by hints of pressed flowers; a suggestion of orange rind appears with aeration. The palate is beautifully balanced with a fine line of acidity, and quite spicy and energetic, revealing touches of pepper and even a dab of curry powder toward the long, complex finish. Another great success for Alex Moreau."
- Item #: i_353923Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93Vinous Media: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 - "Bursting with aromas of ripe citrus, pear and mint that are framed by a deft touch of oak, Moreau's 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie is medium to full-bodied, elegantly textural and precise. Racier than the more enveloping Chenevottes, it's also more tender and charming than the incisive Vergers.
VINOUS 91-93 - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet La Maltroye 1er Cru has a slightly reserved bouquet that is less expressive than its sibling Chassagnes at the moment; fleeting touches of citrus lemon and smoke emerge with aeration. The palate is well balanced with a very saline opening that counters the richness on the midpalate. There is weight and power to this Maltroye, yet the acidity offsets that and leaves it feeling perfectly balanced, with a very long, spicy tail on the finish. Excellent."
- Item #: i_353241Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90-92VINOUS 90-92 POINTS - "The 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet Village had been blended in July and fined three weeks prior to my visit. It has a delightful bouquet of orange blossom, tinned peach and touches of wild mint, quite intense for a Village Cru. The palate is taut, fresh and spicy on the entry, with touches of white pepper and fennel infusing the citrus fruit. An almost clinical saline finish lingers in the mouth. Superb."