- Item #: i_333545Bottle Size: 750MLThe de Villaines farm three appellations within the Côte Chalonaise, namely Bouzeron (Aligoté), Rully (Chardonnay) and Mercurey (Pinot Noir). Their single-vineyard parcels are stunning examples of what this complex and amazing terroir can yield. Though their wines are quite enjoyable young, their ability to age well is what one might expect from a master such as de Villaine. Much of this is due to both the diversity of his vinestock and his organic and biodynamic methodology in the vineyards, both of which Aubert stands by with great conviction. He also ferments his Mercureys in wood cuves, a style adopted from DRC.
- Item #: i_351473Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson, located in Meursault, was not very well known until recently. It was a kind of hidden gem. The domaine is part of the family Domaine Boisson-Vadot which is divided into three entities: the parents have Boisson-Vadot, the son Pierre Boisson and the daughter Anne Boisson. The élevage for the wines is long (between 15 and 20 months) and the quality of the wine is regular, with great finesse and infinite finish. The Meursault Sous la Velle has an open bouquet with aromas of citrus and white-fleshed fruit (apple and pear) and acacia notes. It has a fresh, nicely fruity palate with a distinctive mineral quality.
- Item #: i_353019Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Meursault Sous la Velle reveals inviting aromas of fresh pear and white flowers, complemented by hints of oatmeal and almond paste. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, layered and nicely concentrated, with lively acids and a charming, satiny profile. This will offer a broad drinking window."
- Item #: i_353801Bottle Size: 750mlAnne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.
- Item #: i_350552Bottle Size: 750mlSubtle, harmonious - Burgundy from Domaine Anne Gros is intimately tied with the elegant and poised character of wines from Vosne-Romanée.
While each cru faithfully reflects its terroir, it is terroir as translated through Gros’ expert touch, offering richer aromatics, rounder curves, silkier tannins. The combination is irresistible, so much so that Gros’ very limited production is snapped up by global collectors faster and faster each vintage.
Anne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.
Anne Gros cares for her vineyards according to “lutte raisonée” principles, adhering to organic practices as much as possible depending on the conditions of the growing year. Grapes are always harvested by hand. Juice is fermented on indigenous yeasts in lined (enameled) cement tanks for the reds, and in stainless steel tanks for the whites. Wines are aged in barrel for approximately 16 months, with 80 percent new oak for grand cru wines, 50 percent for village wines and 30 percent for regional wines.
- Item #: i_351823Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93-95VINOUS 93 POINTS: "The 2018 Clos de Vougeot le Grand Maupertui Grand Cru has a little more fruité on the nose compared to the Echézeaux, offering cranberry, raspberry and light aromas of damp woodland. The palate is medium-bodied with crunchy red fruit, fine acidity and a lightly spiced, quite linear finish that feels persistent and satisfying. Superb."
- Item #: i_352991Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - "Aromas of smoky plums, raw cocoa, strawberries, herbs and a subtle framing of new oak introduce the 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu, which is medium to full-bodied, ample and open-knit, with light back-end tannin and a profile that's strongly marked by whole-cluster vinification."
- Item #: i_353858Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Gevrey-Chambertin Village comes from four hectares of old vines worked by Arnaud Mortet himself. It has a crisp, focused bouquet, quite mineral-driven, with so much freshness. The very well-defined palate features pure red and black fruit tinged with brown spice. Silky-smooth on the finish, this feels very complete and harmonious. Superb."
- Item #: i_351962Bottle Size: 750mlThis Bourgogne rouge is surprisingly charming and floral. This Pinot is a blend of seven different plots around Cote de Nuits, 50% from Chambolle Musigny appellation, 25% from Nuits Saint Georges, and 25% from Vosne Romanée. Flamboyant aroma of supple rose petal, wild strawberries, and raspberry. 60% whole cluster. Great lightness and gentleness.
- Item #: i_351749Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC - "Ben takes a domaine philosophy, focused on establishing and maintaining contracts with growers who work for top quality vines and fruit rather than seeking prestigious appellations. Ben and his team carefully guide the vineyard work, for the most part carried out by the owners. Vines are plowed and are at least lutte raisonnée, while many are organic or biodynamic. When Ben deems necessary, his team carries out green harvest themselves. All vines are harvested by Ben’s team and grapes are sorted at the winery in Beaune. Ben’s cuverie is fit with state of the art equipment."
- Item #: i_353936Bottle Size: 750mlBen and his team carefully guide the vineyard work, for the most part carried out by the owners. Vines are plowed and are at least lutte raisonne´e, while many are organic or biodynamic. When Ben deems necessary, his team carries out green harvest themselves. All vines are harvested by Ben’s team and grapes are sorted at the winery in Beaune. Ben’s cuverie is fitted with state of the art equipment.
- Item #: i_353938Bottle Size: 750mlUsing roughly 30% whole bunches and 20% new oak, Leroux has sculpted a seductive Chambolle that opens with a measure of controlled flamboyance before segueing into something more suave, sappy and refreshing. Much like the Volnay, Vosne and Gevrey village wines, this is all class and is sold well short by the review below.
- Item #: i_353018Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The last vintage that will appear under the old Boisson-Vadot label is the 2016 Meursault Les Chevalières, a lovely wine that wafts from the glass with aromas of crisp yellow orchard fruit, orange oil, iodine and toasted nuts. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, firm and chiseled, with a tensile spine of acidity and a chalky, mouthwatering finish."
- Item #: i_353332Bottle Size: 750mlVéronique Bonin and Nicolas Bernard are turning out some of the most exciting white burgundy on the planet. The young couple took over the 7ha domaine, formerly known as Michelot Mère et Fille, from Véronique's family in 1999. They work exclusively in chardonnay, largely in Meursault with a few small plots in Puligny. Their strict work in the vineyard allows them to let their wines to express themselves in the cellar, with as little intervention as possible - natural yeasts, no enzymes, no chaptalization, no fining, no filtering and minimal sulfur throughout the process (à la d'Auvenay from Madame Bize-Leroy). The wines rest in mostly older barrels for 15 months and another 4 months in stainless before bottling. Bernard believes that the buttery character in Meursault is a modern invention rather than an inherent quality, and his wines are more about minerality and energy than pure richness. That's not to say these lack concentration, but rather their weightless quality defines them.
These 50 to 60 year old vines are planted at the upper reaches of Charmes, just below Perrières, and this wine always has more in common with the stony, nervy character of most Perrières than it does with your average Charmes. This is a lifted, elegant, pure and thrilling Charmes that has length and intensity to rival the very best wines of Meursault
- Item #: i_353336Bottle Size: 750mlPasses of first smoky notes, evoking toasted sesame and flint, it is indeed the spring freshness that illuminates this elegant and intense Folatières. Lemon zest, honeysuckle, apple blossom, a mineral touch evoking the wet pebble, an iodized nuance of oyster shell, fresh hazelnut, wild mint and coriander: the bouquet, versatile as desired, shows a great distinction. A few brioche touches and a delicate nuance of acacia honey provide just the right amount of gluttony, while the fruit expresses itself in all its truth, with frank flavors of pear, Reinette apple and nectarine. If still very young, this Puligny 1 er Cru Folatières has a dense material but perfectly sheathed by a stimulating acidity, with lemony flavors. Let there be no mistake: there is a huge underlying structure, with fat and lamb's lettuce, which requires only a few years in the cellar to unfold fully and nest perfectly with this ubiquitous mineral tension.
- Item #: i_353239Bottle Size: 750mlOn the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and sappy at the core, with excellent soil signature, fine focus and grip, silky tannins and a long, beautifully balanced and still quite primary finish.
Aged in 10%-30% new French oak barrels.
Bottled without fining and usually without filtration unless the wine is cloudy.
THE 2017 CLOS DES CHÊNES FROM DOMAINE MOREAU IS ANOTHER OUTSTANDING BOTTLE IN THE MAKING. THIS WINE IS PROPERLY STILL YOUTHFUL ON BOTH THE NOSE AND PALATE, BUT SHOWS PLENTY OF PROMISE IN ITS AROMATIC CONSTELLATION OF CASSIS, SWEET BLACKBERRIES, BITTER CHOCOLATE, A COMPLEX BASE OF SOIL TONES, GAME BIRD AND A SMOKY TOPNOTE. ON THE PALATE THE WINE IS DEEP, FULL-BODIED, FOCUSED AND SAPPY AT THE CORE, WITH EXCELLENT SOIL SIGNATURE, FIEN FOCUS AND GRIP, SILKY TANNINS AND A LONG, BEAUTIFULLY BALANCED AND STILL QUITE PRIMARY FINISH. ALL THIS NEEDS IS TIME TO BLOSSOM!
- Item #: i_353244Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90VINOUS 90 POINTS - "The 2018 Bourgogne Chardonnay, which had been bottled by the time of my visit, has a clean, precise apple blossom and citrus-scented bouquet that shows impressive definition for a generic white Burgundy. The palate is taut and fresh with a touch of bitter lemon on the entry, superb acidity and a saline finish. You will not find a better white Bourgogne Blanc in 2018."