- Item #: i_350340Bottle Size: 750mlWines from Le Clos du Caillou are Rhône blends at their most intense. Concentrated and richly textured, these organically raised, older-vine wines capture the spice and silk of old-vine Grenache grown on the region’s finest terroirs. Each wine too reflects the native perfumes of the south, the “garrigue” blend of thyme, rosemary and lavender that grows wild among the estate’s vines. Of all the terroir in the Côtes du Rhône appellation, the “clos” of Caillou has to be one of the most exceptional. Completely surrounded by Châteauneuf-du-Pape vineyards, this walled parcel of land was intentionally left out of the appellation by the owner, following a bureaucratic spat back in 1936. What this means today is that Caillou’s Côtes du Rhône wines are the qualitatively the same, with regard to terroir and exposition, as top Châteauneuf wines.
- Item #: i_322272Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Lifted black-cherry and blackberry aromas are accented by savory notes of licorice, bay leaf and thyme in this sultry blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre and Cinsault. It's full bodied and supple, with a firm mineral tang anchoring the finish. Fine-grained but grippy tannins will meld with time but the wine is already showing beautifully."
- Item #: i_352536Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 97Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS: "Another perfect wine from this brilliant estate is the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape, which matches the otherworldly 2007. A classic blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre and 10% Syrah brought up all in old foudre, this beauty's deep purple color is followed by a mammoth bouquet of kirsch liqueur, black currants, blueberries, Asian spices, and garrigue. Full-bodied, concentrated, and powerful, it nevertheless is as graceful as a ballerina on the palate and has ultra-fine tannins, a silky, seamless texture, and a finish that just won't quit. Hats off to vigneron Paul-Vincent Avril!"
ROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is full-bodied but balanced, with plenty of richness and concentration but also a certain paradoxical lightness. It offers complex garrigue and anise notes, a blend of cherry and raspberry fruit, a silky texture and a long finish that shows no sign of the wine's 15.8% alcohol. For technocrats, the wine's pH is 3.7, which is sufficient acidity to maintain a fine sense of balance. This lovely wine should drink well for at least two decades. Together with the 2015 and the 2017, it will be a compelling trio of wines to follow over the years."
DECANTER 98 POINTS: "Yields are always low at Clos des Papes, but this was Vincent Avril's biggest harvest since 2007, with yields of 25hl/ha. A tasting of various different blends highlighted the part played by each main variety, but the final blend shows a young wine that is already aromatically harmonious, bright and detailed. It's fuller-bodied than an average vintage, deep yet fresh. It has a powerful tannic and acidic framework this year, but the wine is very well balanced and very long, with a sublime freshness. An effortlessly brilliant Clos des Papes."
- Item #: i_352348Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97-99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96-99 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf-du-Pape looks to be a huge success and reminds me of the 2007. As is normal, Vincent keeps multiple foudres with different blends (as well as a foudre of the final blend), and it's always incredibly educational tasting through the different barrels. The final blend has a classic, sweet bouquet of kirsch, spices, and garrigue, and it's full-bodied, deep, and thrillingly concentrated on the palate. The blend is shifted more toward Mourvèdre due to the tiny quantity of Grenache in the vintage, which makes me think this cuvée might close down shortly after bottling, but it's upfront and incredibly expressive today."
DECANTER 96 POINTS: "There's 10% less Grenache in the blend this year, topped up with extra Mourvèdre which certainly makes itself felt. The final assemblage has a lovely depth and concentration of fruit, and is relatively tannic and structured in this vintage. It has plum and violet lift to the aromatic profile, and perhaps sacrifices a little elegance for power and potency in 2017 - not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your taste. A Clos des Papes for the depths of the cellar."
ROBERT PARKER 94-96 POINTS: "Paul-Vincent Avril and I tasted from several foudres of the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape. Foudre #17 was Syrah-heavy, with plenty of blueberry and blackberry fruit tinged with licorice. Full-bodied and rich, it was also silky and long (93 - 95 points). Number 19 was 55% Grenache and 45% Mourvèdre, more floral, herbal and spicy, with black cherry fruit and ample concentration (95 - 97 points). From #18, an approximation of the final 60,000-bottle blend, the wine was full-bodied and velvety, ripe and concentrated without going over the top, with cherry and blueberry fruit that lingered on the finish (94 - 96 points). According to Avril, the 2017 will be approximately 45% Grenache and 40% Mourvèdre, with the balance mainly Syrah, and a finished alcohol of about 15.3% (less than in 2016) Tasting in the cellar at Clos des Papes with Paul-Vincent Avril is an experience not to be missed, as he drops winemaking facts and philosophical nuggets into every discussion. With the focus on crafting only a single cuvée of red and white Châteauneuf-du-Pape, a visitor inevitably misses out on many of the decisions that led to the blending of any given foudre's contents, but it is easier to see a picture of the overall vintage, at least as seen through the lens of Avril's winemaking. Grenache yields in 2017 were approximately 15 hectoliters per hectare, versus 25 hectoliters per hectare in 2016, so there is much less wine, and the 2017 Clos des Papes will have a higher proportion of Mourvèdre."
- Item #: i_353846Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsDECANTER 96 POINTS: "There is more Mourvèdre here than an average year as the Grenache was hit relatively hard and it shows in the aromatic profile comprising damson, plum skin, mashed blueberry and liquorice. There's also a floral element and a little cinnamon kick on the finish. The tannins are silky, and the balance of acidity is good. It bears a certain resemblance to the 2015 but a little darker in style, concentrated and ripe, more mulled and more butch in style than a classic year. Just 30,000 bottles made from a yield of 9hl/ha - their smallest ever crop, losing 70% to mildew."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS: "Outer quote mark Châteauneuf Du Pape to go around, but it’s going to be worth the extra effort to track down. Based on 50% Grenache, 40% Mourvèdre, and the rest Syrah (and a splash of other permitted varieties), it offers a textbook, classic Châteauneuf du Pape nose of mulled red and black fruits, Provençal garrigue, ground pepper, and saddle leather. These all carry to a medium to full-bodied Clos des Papes that has thrillingly polished tannins, flawless balance, and a great finish. Made in a style similar to the 1999, 2004, and maybe a kiss of the 2006, it has the beautiful elegance (again, a Grand Cru Burgundy comes to mind) paired with plenty of intensity and length. I doubt it will shut down and it’s going to evolve nicely for 15-20 years or more."
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS: "A very refined, silky style, with subtle bitter cherry, damson plum and raspberry coulis notes racing through, flanked by garrigue and sandalwood notes and ending with graceful rooibos tea and mineral threads. This offers understated luxury."
- Item #: i_352742Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Decanter: 90 to 95 point scoreJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "I always love this cuvée, and the 2017 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Quartz offers a terrific perfume of black raspberries, white flowers, orange blossom, honeysuckle, and crushed rocks. It's medium to full-bodied, seamless, and finesse-driven on the palate, with the pure, elegant style of the estate front and center. It picks up more minerality with time in the glass, is beautifully balanced, and has a great finish."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Quartz features scents of black olives and black cherries on the nose. It's a full-bodied, dense, tightly packed wine that will need time to fully express itself—is it a modern-day 2005? Ample cherry and stone fruit appear on the long, intense finish, confirming the terrific potential this wine possesses."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "Grown half on galets and half on sand in lieu-dit Les Cassanets, the fruit is destemmed and fermented mostly in concrete, before being matured in demi-muid, except for a 10% portion in amphora. It has a highly individual aromatic profile, very dark and brooding. The full-bodied palate features black fruits with a lovely sense of purity and line. There's real weight and presence without heaviness, and wonderful harmony and balance. A highly polished wine with a slight sweetness to the fruit and a very long finish. The best Quartz in some time from Clos du Caillou - real depths to explore here despite the polish."
- Item #: i_352497Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 90 to 95 point scoreJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsDECANTER 94 POINTS - "Sourced from lieu-dit Les Bédines, the fruit is destemmed and fermented in concrete, then matured 75% in foudre and 25% in demi-muid. Loganberry and bay leaf notes display burgeoning complexity, leading to a very full-bodied and flowing palate with highly polished red berry fruit. It has great finesse in a highly tailored style, with incredible silkiness to the tannins - they're plentiful but super-fine. Captivating and seductive."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "More elegant as well as more complex, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Les Safres boasts beautiful notes of kirsch liqueur, new saddle leather, garrigue, and pepper incense. Rounded, beautifully textured, and elegant, with ultra-fine tannins, it's a seamless, sensational Châteauneuf Du Pape wine that shines on all accounts. It shows the sunny, sexy style of the vintage and is approachable today yet will keep for 15+ years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Hints of rosemary and pine accent cherries and apricots in the Grenache-dominated 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Safres. Full-bodied, rich and velvety, it finishes long and intense. Already drinking well, it should continue to do so through 2030."
- Item #: i_351165Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 - 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Cotes du Rhone Les Quartz looks to be something special. Full-bodied, concentrated and velvety, it delivers intense fruit notes of ripe raspberries and stone fruit that linger on the finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Côtes Du Rhône Les Quartz is a step up, offering complex kirsch, black raspberry, spice, and garrigue notes as well as some toasted bread hints. It's rounded, supple, and beautifully balanced, with fine tannins and a great finish."
- Item #: i_351169Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93-95JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "A blend of 75% Grenache and 25% Mourvèdre, the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Les Safres makes the most of this vintage and sports incredible elegance and finesse while still packing solid depth of fruit and concentration. Beautiful notes of kirsch, licorice, toasted spices, and flowery incense all flow to a medium to full-bodied 2018 that has polished tannins and a great finish. The balance, purity, and finesse here are top notch."
VINOUS 93-95 POINTS - "Deep bright-hued red. Sexy, spice-accented aromas of ripe red berries and potpourri are lent vivacity by a smoky mineral element. Sweet, palate-coating raspberry, cherry preserve, spicecake and floral pastille flavors show a suave blend of depth and energy. Displays fine delineation and finishes with superb clarity and emphatic, red-fruit-driven persistence. Raised for 17 months in large oak foudres."
- Item #: i_353894Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Ratcheting up the quality level, the 2018 Côtes du Rhône Les Quartz is a brilliant wine based on 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah that comes from vines just around the estate in the eastern sector of Châteauneuf du Pape. Vivid ruby, with a stunning bouquet of kirsch liqueur, black raspberries, Provençal garrigue, and Asian spices, it hits the palate with medium to full-bodied richness, the seamless, elegant character that’s common in the vintage, and a great finish. This would easily pass undetected in a blind lineup of top Châteauneuf du Papes. Enjoy bottles over the coming 5-7 years."
- Item #: i_353895Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Including more Mourvèdre, the 2018 Côtes du Rhône La Reserve checks in as 75% Grenache and 25% Mourvèdre that was brought up all in demi-muids. Almost opaque ruby, with a blockbuster nose of Bing cherries, black raspberries, flowery incense, toasted spices, and dry-aged beef, this beauty hits the palate with full-bodied richness, a seamless, elegant texture, loads of fruit, and a great finish. The level of purity as well as finesse in this wine, paired with plenty of richness, is something to behold. It way over-delivers for a Côtes du Rhône. In fact, for my money, this is one of the best Côtes du Rhône out there. It’s terrific today yet will evolve nicely for a solid decade. Does Côtes du Rhônes get any better?"
- Item #: i_333944Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape La Combe des Fous is full-bodied, rich and velvety, yet it also possesses more freshness and concentrated berry fruit than the Vieilles Vignes bottling. An absolute beauty of a beast, it delivers ripe raspberries and cherries, a gentle dusting of Asian spice and a long, long finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Combe Des Fous checks in as a normal blend of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and the rest Vaccarèse and Cinsault, raised in tank and demi-muids. Kirsch liqueur, white flowers, graphite, ground pepper, and obvious minerality all emerge from this ethereal yet powerful, concentrated 2017. It's very much in the more Provençal, elegant style of this vintage, yet has classic Clos Saint Jean purity, style, and power. It's a gorgeous wine."
- Item #: i_353137Bottle Size: 750mlWe are excited to announce our Wine of the Month for March. We tried numerous wines before selecting the crowd-pleasing Clos des Lumieres Cotes du Rhone. This is a fantastic wine and amazing value, boasting stunning purity with oodles of fruit in a medium to full-bodied frame. The Grenache brings a lovely round, silkiness to the red-fruited character while the Syrah brings gentle spice and darker fruits into play. This is a joy to drink with absolutely no hard edges!
A classic blend of 70% Grenache and 30% Syrah, Le Clos des Lumieres delights both nose and palate and is a great fit for this month as we move from Winter to Spring. As the days begin to grow longer and our menus move from heartier to fresher and more vibrant fare, we like a wine that can handle both-- something to sip during the still-chilly nights with rich foods while being equally at ease for sunny Sunday brunches. This is it!
Domaine le Clos des Lumieres is a 50-hectare family farm founded in 1946 by the grandfather of the domaine's current vigneron, Gerald Serrano. The ambitious and talented winemaker is solely responsible for the recent ascendance of this estate - Prior to taking things over in 2003 Gerald's father was selling all grapes on the estate to the local cooperative. Having grown up on the property, Gerald is intimately familiar with the terroir here. The oldest vines now edge 60 years in age and this land really seems to "pack the character in."
Clos des Lumieres is a delicious wine and an amazing value. Buy this with confidence as an easygoing daily drinker to share with family and friends.
The nose is rich and layered with dark red fruits leading to citrus, earth, incense, spice and sweet red plum. The mouth is viscous and rounded with soft acidity and balanced tannins that bolster the flavors of mixed red fruits and berries (red plum and blueberry stand out), light earth and Rhone-y spice, pepper, garrique and a finish of salted plum and kirsch. Very comfortable in its skin and offering quality that's way out of its price point, Lumieres is certainly a bright spot on the wine landscape and easily deserves the spotlight this month.
- Item #: i_352743Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Tasted as a sample blended from several foudres, the 2018 Cotes du Rhone Coudoulet de Beaucastel features scents of sun-warmed stones and ripe raspberries. Medium to full-bodied, it's plush and open-knit, already giving a lot of pleasure, and finishing zesty and long.
- Item #: i_322198Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "Sourced from 60-year-old vines and aged in 15% to 20% new oak, the 2016 Saint Joseph l'Olivaie offers a concentrated mouthful of black olive and cherry fruit, a velvety texture and a long, cool finish. This medium to full-bodied wine should drink well on release and for up to decade. Young Jerôme Coursodon now farms 16 hectares in Saint Joseph, centered around Mauves, just outside Tournon. He considers the 2016s more approachable than the dense 2015s."
JEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS: "Leading off the 2016s from barrel, the 2016 Saint Joseph L'Olivaie comes from the lieu-dit of the same name and vines averaging 60 years in age. It’s a ripe, concentrated beauty that's loaded with notions of black raspberries, scorched earth, spice and pepper. With medium to full-bodied richness, ripe, present tannin and a great finish, it's going to be a great value. I continue to love the wines from the young Jerome Coursodon, who pulls from roughly 16 hectares of vines all in the southern part of Saint Joseph, mostly just outside the village of Mauves. The 2015s are monster, blockbuster styled efforts that I suspect won’t appeal to the traditionalists out there, but are singular wines. The 2016s are more elegant and finesse-driven, yet still pack in more sweet fruit than just about everyone else out there."
- Item #: i_354183Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsWINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "This has an intense core of crushed plum, raspberry and boysenberry fruit flavors, draped with melted licorice notes and backed by a wave of warm fruitcake. Hedonistic for sure, but accents of anise, violet and singed apple wood dart around, adding extra facets of intrigue to hold your attention. Grenache and Mourvèdre. Best from 2020 through 2040."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Renaissance is a gem and as always is a 60/40 split of Grenache and Mourvèdre brought up in demi-muids and smaller barrels (one-third new). Blackcurrants, blackberries, wine marinade, licorice, and pepper all emerge from this opulent, incredibly sexy beauty that has full-bodied richness, sweet tannin and more mid-palate depth and richness than most. It’s going to need 3-4 years of cellaring to hit its stride and last for 15+."
- Item #: i_354184Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "This delivers a lush, enticing blast of cassis and raspberry and boysenberry preserve flavors, carried by a silky structure that lets the fruit play out at length, giving adequate time for black tea, singed apple wood, dried anise and fruitcake notes to fill in throughout. Dreamy. Grenache. Best from 2020 through 2040."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Made from 100% Grenache, the 2015 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes is a more opulent, hedonistic effort compared to the Renaissance and offers killer notes of plums, caramelized black cherries, spring flowers and licorice. Possessing sweet tannin, impeccable balance and a finish that won’t quit, drink it anytime over the coming 15 years or more."
- Item #: i_349978Bottle Size: 750mlJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - " Renaissance from Cristia is a beauty! A normal blend of 60% Grenache and 40% Mourvèdre that comes from old vines planted in sandy soils, it reveals a medium ruby/purple color as well as a pure, elegant bouquet of crème de cassis, jammy blackberries, candied violets, incense, and spiced meats. This ripe, powerful, concentrated, and full-bodied, Châteauneuf du Pape has awesome purity, silky tannins, and one hell of a great finish. So of the oak that was present when I tasted this from barrel has integrated nicely and this beauty can be drunk anytime over the coming 15 years."
- Item #: i_333501Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsWe're excited to be able to offer one of our customer's favorite wines at great price! We sell cases upon cases of Dave Phinney's delicious wines from around the world, but now is a great time to stock up on the newly arrived 2016 vintage of D66. This is a hedonistic 95 Point wine Jeb Dunnuck calls a "bonafide blockbuster" which is "rich, opulent and decadent." We couldn't say it any better.
D66 is a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah which displays great depth and concentration. This crowd-pleasing wine dials up the intensity and boasts a round, rich texture with supple tannins and ripe blueberry, blackberry and kirsch flavors which are deeply satisfying.
D66 comes from the brilliant mind of Dave Phinney who is the creative genius behind the Orin Swift wines. Phinney has developed an almost cult-like following with his string of successes, which began with "The Prisoner" red blend. Although this put him on the map, Phinney has continued to create highly sought after labels such as Mercury Head, Palermo, Papillon, Abstract and Machete. The secret to his success lies in his ability to make bold and juicy wines, which have silky smooth tannins and are approachable upon release.
More recently, Phinney has focused his efforts on making wines in the Roussillon region of France. This region in the Southwest corner of France lies within Department 66, which serves as the inspiration and namesake for the winery and his vineyards in the town of Maury.
When Phinney first gazed upon these old vine vineyards, he couldn't believe his eyes. In his words, "When I awoke, what I saw was insane. I looked out my bedroom window and saw one of the steepest, oldest vineyards I had ever laid eyes on. I was in - hook, line and sinker. If this is what I could see from my bedroom, what else was out there? They were, perhaps the most amazing confluence of vineyards I've ever been exposed to."
He immediately set out to explore the area and purchased some terrific vineyards, which are the source of the grapes for this wine. As they say, the rest is history. Today, these wines are better than ever, boasting a refinement of flavor and texture that is seriously pleasing. This full-bodied, rich and lushly palated wine will satisfy those who enjoy Dave Phinney's other wines as it is definitely made in his "house style."
Fans of David Phinney and Orin Swift will be very pleased with this blockbuster, which has to be one of our greatest values in the store. Enjoy!
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Cotes Catalanes D66 is a bonafide blockbuster from winemaker Richard Case that does everything right. Loaded with notions of ripe blackberry and currant fruits, chocolate, ground pepper, licorice, and leafy herbs, this puppy hits the palate with full-bodied richness and depth yet stays nicely balanced and light on its feet. Rich, opulent, and decadent are the buzzwords here, and it should keep for 7-8 years. The blend is 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah aged 12 months in barrel."
- Item #: i_309543Bottle Size: 750MLDecanter: 90 to 95 PointsWe are fortunate this month to find the perfect crossover hit in the Delas Saint-Esprit. This delicious Cotes-du-Rhone red blend is versatile with a full-bodied character which remains remarkably fresh. This wine will pair perfectly with your party platters of pulled pork, tri-tip or ribs as well as heartier fare of stews or chili.
This crowd-pleasing red is grown in the warmth of the Mediterranean climate and is a blend of 60% Syrah and 40% Grenache. The vineyards are influenced by the famed, harsh Mistral winds that rush through the Rhône Valley, keeping the sky clear and full of sunshine most of the time. Buffeted by the extreme winds, the vines have to work hard and create grapes of character and quality, which is evidenced in this wine by Delas. As many a talented winemaker has stated, great wines are made in the vineyard.
This dry red wine clearly shows the hallmarks of Syrah and Grenache. The nose shows gorgeous floral notes, black raspberry, bright cherries, plum and a touch of anise and spice. On the palate, the wine is generous and pleasing, showcasing bold fruits enveloped in silky tannins. This is a wine very much in balance with a harmonious and lengthy finish. Delicious!
- Item #: i_345948Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "The 2018 Gigondas La Louisiane looks to be another terrific example of this cuvée. Raspberries, black cherries, tea leaves and violets all appear on the nose, while the full-bodied palate is rich, velvety and long on the finish."
- Item #: i_350618Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94-96VINOUS 94-96 POINTS: "Dark glistening red. A highly perfumed bouquet evokes ripe red and dark berries, baking spices, garrigue and candied flowers, and a smoky mineral flourish appears as the wine opens up. Sappy, sweet and penetrating on the palate, offering juicy black raspberry, cherry and lavender pastille flavors joined by hints of allspice and bitter chocolate. Smooth and seamless in texture, showing superb finishing clarity, gently gripping tannins and strong, spicy persistence. This is a somewhat more brawny wine than usual for Laurent Charvin, but it still retains the domaine's trademark balance and energy."
- Item #: i_349977Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Moving to the two 2017s, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes checks in as 100% Grenache coming from a single parcel in the Cristia lieu-dit, in the heart of the appellation and was brought up mostly in old barrels, with 30% in new demi-muids. Revealing a more ruby/plum color, it has an incredible nose of spiced red and black fruits, ground pepper, garrigue, and spring flowers. These all carry to a full-bodied, layered, elegant Grenache that has silky tannins, flawless balance, and a great, great finish. It’s already complex and ready to go today yet will cruise for 10-15 years in cold cellars."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Possessing more concentration and richness than the other Cristia cuvées, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes—sourced from 95-year-old Grenache vines in the Cristia lieu-dit—combines hints of cedar and vanilla from the barrels in which it matured with ripe raspberries and black cherries. Full-bodied and intensely flavored, it delivers those things without any sense of heaviness, remaining fresh, silky and elegant from boldly aromatic start to long, nuanced finish. Yum!"
- Item #: i_353120Bottle Size: 750mlIt tastes like a Châteauneuf du Pape with its juicy black raspberry, violets, peppery herbs and distinct minerality. This comparison is certainly still valid on the palate, as well and its medium to full-bodied, concentrated and structured, with a sappy, grippy style that will evolve nicely for 7-8 years or more. Don’t let the Vin de France label sway you, this is the real deal. Jeb Dunnuck pour Robert Parker – Octobre 2016
- Item #: i_353081Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "One of the finest releases from not only this appellation but the entire Southern Rhône, the 2016 Lirac La Reine Des Bois is a unique blend of close to equal parts Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre that’s brought up in 30% used barrels, the balance in stainless steel. It literally jumps from the glass with loads of blackberry and currant fruits, graphite, charred meats, and peppery herbs. Deeply colored, medium to full-bodied, with sensational purity, give bottles a year or two and enjoy through 2028. It’s another brilliant wine from this estate that’s landed on both feet after the passing of winemaker Christophe Delorme in 2015."