- Item #: i_215530Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir (Santa Barbara County) is bright, lifted and absolutely delicious. Sweet floral notes and bright, red toned fruit give this gracious, ethereal Pinot tons of class. This is an impeccable wine in its peer group. Deovlet's appellation wines are often overachievers, as is very much the case here."
- Item #: i_214330Bottle Size: 750mlAnybody who has walked into our store asking for a great Cabernet recommendation has sure heard us talking up the Desparada wines from winemaker Valia Esh. Valia is a lady who has managed to understand winemaking quicker and with more detail than many other winemakers...to a point where others are jealous! This year's Soothsayer is comprised of 44% Barbera, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 16% Nebbiolo from Spanish Springs, Star Lane, Luna Matta, and Chelle Mountain.
- Item #: i_215515Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93Dierberg has been on a roll the past few years! Other wineries have sourced fruit from this prominent vineyard and received high scores for their superbly crafted wines. Dierberg still sells much of their fruit, but they have begun to keep some of the better sections for themselves. That being said, their own label hasn't skipped a beat, and is receiving the same high scores as their customers!
Located 13 miles from the Pacific Ocean in one of the coolest wine-growing corners of California's Central Coast, Dierberg Vineyard is on the western edge of Santa Barbara County's Santa Maria Valley appellation, which is world-renowned for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Their vineyard is planted to newer "Dijon" clones, as well as other "heritage clones"; heritage clones whose roots go back to the Burgundy area of France, offering a clonal diversity unlike almost any other Pinot vineyard in California.
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2016 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard comes from the estate vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley and was 75% destemmed and aged 10 months in 25% new French oak. Ruby/purple-hued, with notes of raspberries, Asian spice, forest floor, and crushed flowers, it's medium-bodied and has a rounded, elegant texture, beautiful purity, and a great finish. It's a clean, classy, impeccably put together Pinot Noir to drink over the coming 7-8 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard aged 14 months in 35% new French oak. It's medium ruby with wonderful, layered perfume: dried rose petals, crushed herbs, woodsmoke, cranberry sauce, warm earth, red cherry preserves and hints of raspberries and orange peel. Light to medium-bodied, it offers delicate, layered intensity, a sturdy frame of grainy tannins and seamlessly woven acidity, finishing very long. Lovely! 1,700 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard is plush and inviting, with soft curves and plenty of immediacy. Dark red/purplish berry fruit, lavender, spice and rose petal all meld together in this attractive, fruity Pinot. Supple and forward, the 2016 will drink well pretty much upon release. The 25% whole clusters are not especially evident, at least not today."
- Item #: i_222650Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 91Bill Wathen and Dick Dore have been making wine together since 1985, when they founded Foxen Winery and Vineyard at the historic Rancho Tinaquaic in northern Santa Barbara County. Since that time, their dedication has remained the same - the creation of very small production, sustainably-farmed, vineyard-focused wines using a "minimalist" approach to winemaking. Foxen is named in memory of William Benjamin Foxen, an English sea captain and Dick's great-great grandfather, who came to Santa Barbara in the early 1800s and purchased the Rancho Tinaquaic. Captain Foxen adopted the distinctive "anchor" as his cattle brand, which became the trademark of the winery. Foxen is at home on the history Rancho Tinaquaic with its solar-powered winery, tasting room and 7200 "shack."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "I loved the nose of the 2017 Pinot Noir Santa Maria Valley. It just screams Pinot Noir with its spiced cherry, raspberry, white pepper, and sappy herb aromas and flavors. Medium-bodied, nicely textured, fresh, and lively on the palate, it's a smoking little Calif Pinot Noir well worth checking out. This cuvee was just 25% destemmed and spent 9 months in used French oak. There are 3,500 cases produced."
- Item #: i_246220Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 92ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Inky purple-black in color, the 2017 Petite Sirah Thompson Vineyard gives up pretty blue flowers and blueberry candy notes to begin, with loads of exotic spice over bramble berry preserves and baked blackberries. Full and absolutely luscious on the palate, it fills the mouth with spicy fruit layers, with firm but approachable tannins and good freshness, finishing very long. Yum!"
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2017 Petite Sirah Thompson Vineyard sports a deep, saturated purple color as well as a ripe, sexy bouquet of blue and black fruits, road tar, Asian spices, and ground herbs. Ripe, concentrated, with building tannins, it's a quintessential steakhouse red that's going to offer loads of pleasure over the coming decade or more."
- Item #: i_247750Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 92The soils of Kick On Vineyard are composed primarily of ocean floor sandy loams. Because it is the most westerly vineyard in the area, it is perhaps the most maritime of all vineyards in this growing region. With the Pacific coastline only miles away, a constant maritime influence results in wines of crisp acidity, bright fruit and an inherent balance. This soil stresses the vines somewhat, resulting in grapes of greater flavor and concentration. While the yields tend to be low to moderate, the concentration and extraction of the grape materials tends to be intense and quality-driven.
JEB DUNNUCK 92+ POINTS - "The medium-bodied, vibrant 2016 Pinot Noir Kick On is another age-worthy effort that has everything in the right places. Perfumed notes of mulberries, dried flowers, strawberries, and menthol, medium body, bright acidity, and fine tannins all make for a beautiful Pinot Noir that will benefit from short-term cellaring and keep for a decade."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Kick On Ranch is another pretty and highly expressive wine in this range. Done in a slender, slightly nervous style, the 2016 is built on expressive aromatics and notable persistence, with the fruit lying more in the background. It will be interesting to see if this reticent, tightly wound Pinot gains a bit more flesh with time in the bottle."
- Item #: i_244800Bottle Size: 750mlAn exciting new showcase, the organically farmed Two Wolves Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc sings with tropical aromas and flavors. Bright notes of guava and passion fruit on the nose are balanced by grapefruit and citrus on the palate. Serve with scallop ceviche in yuzu sauce with cilantro and jalapeno garnish. (Also pairs well with Italian Opera).
- Item #: i_257860Bottle Size: 500mlAn amazing late harvest Roussanne from the Santa Barbara Highlands Vineyard. Clocking in at only 9.2% alcohol, only 4 barrels of this wine were produced. This wine displays notes of creme brulee, honeysuckle, bearclaw, mandarin orange, honeyed apricot, spiced apple cider, brown butter, and a refreshing rosewater finish.
- Item #: i_268290Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Estate spent 11 months in 38% new French oak. It has an open nose of ripe peach, apricot, toast, gunflint and pie crust with dried chamomile and honey-drizzled apple slices. Medium-bodied, it offers concentrated stone fruit and honey-nut character in the mouth, with seamless acidity and a long, textured finish. 1,100 cases produced."
- Item #: i_295720Bottle Size: 750ml2017 is the second year of fruit off the hillside planted Grenache at Zotovich Vineyards. Picked in late October, this wine was slow ripening, and as such, shows a lot of depth throughout. A voluptuous nose of raspberry and cream continues to a body of bright red fruit with enough tannin to give the fruit structure. The finish sees the fruit and tanning meld together to create the feeling you just took a bite of fresh raspberry cake. It was aged in 100% neutral French oak puncheons, and only spent 8 months in barrel before bottling to retain its freshness.