- Item #: i_216300Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Seamless and refined, with floral pear and spice aromas and supple, layered Meyer lemon, stony mineral and blanched almond flavors that linger. Drink now through 2022. 245 cases made."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2014 Chardonnay Recolte Grand Cru offers pronounced notes of honeyed peaches, warm pineapple and ripe melon with hints of brioche, praline and creme brulee. Medium to full-bodied, there is an appealing oiliness to the texture on the palate and tons of tropical fruit and savory layers, finishing with lingering spicy notes coming through. This should age gracefully over 4-6 years+."
- Item #: i_229110Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Juicy, with an engaging mix of red currant, blood orange and raspberry coulis fruit, laced with rooibos tea, mineral, sassafras and mineral notes. Ripe and tightly focused, showing a racy edge that imparts nice lift from start to finish. Best from 2020 through 2035. 2,086 cases made"
- Item #: i_229230Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2002, Heitz planted cabernet vines on Howell Mountain near the gateway to the Linda Falls Preserve. That same year they donated an adjacent 21 acres to the Land Trust as a conservation easement for the preserve, for hikers and nature lovers to enjoy the splendor of the waterfall, which runs year-round. Stretching above the fog at an average elevation of 1500 feet, this area is known for well-drained, volcanic soils and a cooler climate which results in longer hangtime. The vines are planted in narrow rows, deliberately positioned to capture the strongest rays of the summer sun. As the fruit matures, the dense spacing and abundant sunshine leads to a low yield of smaller berries with thick, deeply-hued skins. This picturesque, hilly vineyard is surrounded by pine trees, deer, and bears; a truly special slice of Napa Valley.
Winemaker's Notes: "Its full palate shows how refined and elegant a Howell Mountain wine can be; a firm tannin structure yet silky, with a juicy lingering finish. Undeniably made in the classic Heitz style, it has a liveliness to it with balanced acidity."
- Item #: i_232470Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsOwned by Stan Kroenke (who also owns Screaming Eagle), Jonata is located in Ballard Canyon, just south of Los Olivos and is focused on Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Syrah. The entire Jonata property is comprised of sand, with varying amounts of clay. The vineyards are sustainably farmed (herbicides and pesticides don’t even enter the conversation), and the area enjoys very cool nights due to winds coming off the Pacific Ocean, mixed with very warm days during the summer months. This helps to create wines of exceptional structure, intensity, and ageability...and it’s not uncommon for these Jonata wines to earn 97-100 points from the critics!
Jonata’s winemaker is Matt Dees, and he has the kind of resume that makes other winemakers green with envy. Having previously worked at other noteworthy estates such as Staglin in Napa, and Craggy Range in New Zealand, Matt has learned how to coax the best out of several different grapes grown in a variety of climates.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2014 El Desafio de Jonata is a baby that needs to be forgotten for 5-6 years. A blend of 79% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, and 4% each of Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, it offers terrific notes of blackcurrants, lead pencil shaving, licorice, tobacco leaf and roasted meats. Seamless, elegant and gorgeous on the palate, with a phenomenal texture, ultra-fine tannin, and a great finish, it's a tour de force in Santa Barbara County Cabernet Sauvignon. It will keep for 2-3 decades."
- Item #: i_211591Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is savory, fresh and super-inviting, as so many wines are in this vintage, Bright red cherry, iron, smoke, mint, wild flowers and anise all lift from the glass. Medium in body, taut and wonderfully focused, the 2014 is going to reward readers lucky enough to own it for many, many years. I especially like the pure energy and vibrancy that runs through the 2014."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "An incredible wine that reminds me of a great vintage of Lafite, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is a step up over the 2012, with more depth, richness, and elegance as well as texture. Stunning notes of red and blackcurrants, lead pencil shavings, cigar tobacco, and cedar all emerge from this incredibly elegant, ethereal, yet layered 2014 that has present yet polished tannin, impeccable balance, and sensational purity of fruit. It certainly offers pleasure today (more than the 2012) yet will benefit from 5-7 years of bottle age and keep for 2-3 decades. It's a brilliant, classic, old-school styled Napa Cabernet done perfectly!"
- Item #: i_245580Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 95The wines from Luc and Jodie Morlet have gained a feverish following here at Hi-Time. While their Cabernets and Chardonnays have garnered the limelight and were featured on our “Top Wine” lists in the past, this year it is one of their Pinot Noirs that has us salivating! Coming from a small vineyard in the Fort Ross-Seaview AVA on the Sonoma Coast, this property sits at 1,100 feet in elevation, and is on just the second ridge from the Pacific Ocean. The vineyard is above the fog line and enjoys long, sunny days, yet temps remain cool throughout most of the growing season. This gives the vines time to produce perfectly mature and ripe grapes, and Luc Morlet sorts the fruit berry-by-berry when they reach the winery, ensuring that only the best make it into the finished wine.
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "Things seem quite busy at Morlet Family Vineyards. Luc and Jodie Morlet are developing an additional 3.5 acres of land at their estate vineyard in St. Helena. Last year, the Morlets planted a new vineyard in the heart of Oakville, so there will be a greater focus on estate fruit in the future, once those newly planted vineyards come on line. Stylistically, the wines offer plenty of textural richness and opulence, as they always have. At the same time, I see a bit more freshness in these wines than was common just a few years ago."
"The 2014 Pinot Noir En Famillle is powerful and intense, but also linear. All the signatures of this site come through nicely, but also amped up with quite a bit of structural underpinning. Darker tonalities of red stone, saltiness, wild flowers and exotic spices lead into the finish. The bright acids and overall structure here are quite appealing."
ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS - "The 2014 Pinot Noir En Famille has a more saturated color than the Coteaux Nobles. It offers up notes of black cherries, loamy soil, kirsch liqueur, Asian spice and a floral element. The wine is an outstanding, beautifully fresh Pinot Noir with plenty of black raspberry and kirsch liqueur-like notes. Drink it over the next decade."
- Item #: i_249830Bottle Size: 750mlSingle barrel blend of 100% Petit Verdot, offered for the first time in over a decade • Fruit sourced from our estate Persephone Vineyard, Hebe Block, hence the fanciful name • Aged in new French oak barrels for 20 months • Rich fruit is an invitation to drink now, while chewy tannins signal the ageability of this wine Wine Facts • Single vineyard wine • Sustainably produced • Wine is 100% estate grown and bottled
- Item #: i_251320Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91+ POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District shows a medium to deep garnet-purple color and nose of baked plums, dried mulberries and cassis plus coffee with earth and herbs hints. Taut and chewy in the mouth, it finishes a little hard and chewy but with bags of depth."
- Item #: i_252000Bottle Size: 750mlThe wines produced for the Premiere Napa Valley auction are the pinnacle of achievement in the Napa Valley, and it serves as a means not only to promote the Napa Valley, but the talents of vineyard managers and winemakers. Hi-Time attends this trade-only auction every February, and we secure wines that show exceptional quality vis-à-vis their price points. Progeny’s offering was the best white wine we had tasted at the auction in several years, and we just had to get our hands on it! Following the success of their winery located on Howell Mountain, Paul Wools and Betty O’Shaughnessy-Wools set their sights on Mount Veeder, located in the western mountains of the Napa Valley. While this new site is planted to Cabernet Sauvignon (just like their Howell Mountain property), they also planted several Rhône varietals, which they have found to give the wines exotic bouquets. They soon realized that the white Rhône grapes were not just thriving on their property, but the final wines were superb! Winemaker Sean Capiaux (who has also worked at Peter Michael, Jordan and Pine Ridge) comprised a unique blend of Marsanne, Roussanne and Viognier fermented in a mix of French oak barrels, concrete and stainless steel, with no secondary (malolactic) fermentation. The wine is bright and clean, with aromas of honeycomb, wet granite, oyster shells and sea spray before moving to apricots and orchard fruits. This is actually a white for the decanter, because after 20-30 minutes of air time the wine gains in weight and richness, and flavors of pear, Fuji apple, a hint of oak and toasted almonds appear. The versatility of this wine is amazing; drink it immediately upon opening and it is a perfect match for shellfish and white fish. Let it breath and it will pair nicely with lobster bisque and chicken dishes. It’s almost like it’s a perfect mix between a white Rhône and a Chablis. Wonderful!