- Item #: i_210410Bottle Size: 750MLThe dry, rocky soils of Pritchard Hill produce small, intensely flavorful grapes. Crop-thinning allows for full, even ripening and further elevates flavor complexity. A blend of 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 8% Malbec, and 7% Petit Verdot, the Signature Cabernet Sauvignon has been Chappellet's flagship wine for more than three decades. It is a benchmark for the long-lived hillside wines of the Napa Valley. It is full of structure and aging potential, yet seductively forward in its concentrated varietal character.
- Item #: i_213760Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "Vivid red. Expansive aromas of ripe red berries, candied flowers and baking spices, with a smoky mineral topnote that gains strength as the wine opens up. Coats the palate with appealing sweet raspberry and cherry liqueur flavors that tighten up and become spicier on the back half. Shows excellent clarity and floral lift on an impressively long finish that's shaped by fine-grained, even tannins."
- Item #: i_277540Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Starting with the wines from barrel, the 2017 Optimus (55% Syrah, 41% Grenache, and the rest Petit Verdot) will certainly be a charming, sexy, outstanding bottle of wine. It gives up lots of cassis and jammy dark fruits in a primary, full-bodied, layered style."
- Item #: i_236870Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Golden Slope wafts from the glass with an expressive bouquet of buttered apples, smoke, toasted nuts, brioche and honeycomb. On the palate, it's medium-bodied, glossy and ripe, but remains fresh and succulent, finishing with good length and back-end grip. While it's one of the more open-knit, pleasure-bent of these Liquid Farm Chardonnays, it finds an appealing natural balance that also made it one of my favorites."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Golden Slope saw 15% new French oak, the balance was in neutral oak. Honeyed apples, melon, and ample mineral notes all flow to a rich, medium to full-bodied, mouthfilling effort that has nicely integrated acidity, solid mid-palate depth, and a big finish. It’s another outstanding wine from winemaker James Sparks that will keep for 5-7 years."
- Item #: i_241710Bottle Size: 750mlFor some reason, it seems that many of the Napa Valley wineries are pricing their wines around the $50 price point. For that reason, this has become a very competitive field, and we pick apart every wine offered to us. But, when we tried Merryvale's 2015 Cabernet, there was nothing bad to say...only praise!
- Item #: i_253630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Mount Peak's "Sentinel" Cabernet Sauvignon is named for the shield-shaped block that pays a watchful eye to the entrance to Monte Rosso Vineyard. It's a muscular and intense wine with rich, deep tannins and mouthfilling, concentrated fruit. Aromas of ripe dark currants mingle with hints of brown sugar and sweet mint. Flavors of blackberry and cherry are woven through anise and toasted cedar, echoing in a long finish that is framed with notes of sweet cream. This wine has tremendous aging potential.
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The Mount Peak Winery is named after the original ghost winery that was on the Monte Rosso property, now owned by the Gallo family. The three wines I tasted are super-impressive, powerful, rich and concentrated."
"Lastly, 4,750 cases were made of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel, 83% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma and the rest from other Sonoma sources. It is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah aged in 53% new French oak. Again, ripeness is well-noted in the 15.7% alcohol, but there is not a bit of heat to the wine's overall character. A wine of considerable stature, gravitas, intensity and full-bodied power, it is muscular, backward and somewhat primordial, this wine needs a good 1-2 more years bottle age and should last for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_275550Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS - "All from the estate vineyard on Howell Mountain, the 2017 Zinfandel is a complex, layered, pretty Zinfandel that's a touch reserved and inward. Notes of blackberries, plum, incense, white pepper and brambly spice all emerge from the glass of this concentrated, structured beauty that's going to benefit from a year of two of bottle age."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS -Already bottled, the 2017 Zinfandel (100% Zinfandel) was aged for 16 months in French oak, 34% new. Medium garnet-purple colored, it gives up flamboyant cherry pie, raspberry preserves and blueberry compote notes with touches of Chinese five spice, Sichuan pepper, dusty soil, dried flowers and underbrush. Full-bodied, relatively taut and chewy, it sports bold freshness on the palate, laden with spicy red and blue fruit preserves, finishing long and perfumed. 1,123 cases were made."
- Item #: i_251390Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsFounded in 2003 by Washington State wine visionary Allen Shoup, the mindset behind the Long Shadows winery is quite simple; obtain the best grapes and get them into the hands of the best winemakers. However, easier said than done. Each of the Long Shadows wines have a different label, a different name, and a different winemaker. To make the best Merlot in Washington State, Allen Shoup employed the master of Merlot (Michel Rolland) and developed the Pedestal label. To get the best Cabernet Sauvignon, he brought on Randy Dunn and created the Feather Cabernet. And to make the best Washington State equal to Opus One or Joseph Phelps Insignia, he got Philippe Melka to create Pirouette, a Cabernet Sauvignon-driven blend!
Philippe Melka is a master of Cabernet Sauvignon and blends, and has crafted several wines that have earned 100 points from Robert Parker's Wine Advocate. He has been trained and influenced by some of the most notable personalities in the wine world, including Jean Delmas and Jean Philippe Masclef from Haut-Brion, Christian Moueix and Jean Claude Berrouet from Petrus, Paul Draper from Ridge, Daniel Baron from Silver Oak. For Pirouette, a variety of fermentation methods were used to enhance complexity and richness in this classic Bordeaux blend. Hand-harvested Cabernet was fermented in 400L French oak barrels that were gently rolled throughout fermentation to integrate the oak with refined, dark fruit flavors and give the wine its silky mouthfeel. All other varieties were fermented in traditional stainless steel tanks, with select lots enjoying longer skin contact to enhance the wine's dark color and mid-palate. The finished wine was aged 22 months in French oak barrels (75% new) before bottling unfiltered and unfined.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The talented Gilles Nicault continues to manage this estate and all its different cuvées brilliantly. The key factor to understand with these wines is that each is made with consulting advice from a different winemaker. Hence, the style of each is unique, yet the quality is top notch."
"The 2016 Pirouette is made by Philippe Melka and it's a total blockbuster based on 68% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, and the palate Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc, and Malbec that was fermented in barrel and aged 22 months in 75% new oak. Creme de cassis, blackberries, toasted spices, cedar, and forest floor notes all emerge from this deep, rich, opulent red that has sweet tannins, a thrilling texture, no hard edges, and a monster finish. This is another best-to-date from this estate and it's an awesome wine."
- Item #: i_253050Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsAbout 20 years ago, David Ramey was part of a select group of winemakers who became tired of "laboratory" or "squeaky clean" wines devoid of character. He wanted to bring terroir back into wines from California, and his success was the benefit of the consumer! David Ramey became known throughout the wine world as a winemaker associated with stellar quality, and he brought his expertise to brands such as Chalk Hill, Matanzas Creek, Dominus Estate, Rudd Estate, as well as his own brand. While the Ramey Chardonnays have been on the "center stage" for a few years, this release shows that his Cabernets can hang with some of the best in the Napa Valley...and at a MUCH lower price than others that sell for exponentially more!
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is just as appealing today as it was last year. Supple, open-knit and expressive, the 2014 will drink well with minimal cellaring. Floral and savory notes add an attractive upper register in this mid-weight, juicy 2014. Bright red stone fruit, plum and savory notes abound on the finish. This is a gorgeous Napa Valley Cabernet from David Ramey that shows just how appealing 2014 can be."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley is classic Ramey Cabernet all the way. Blackberries, currants, scorched earth, and charcoal aromatics, medium to full body, great elegance, and notable concentration all make for a top notch 2014 that can be drunk today or cellared for 10-15 years. The blend is 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 6% Malbec, and 3% Petit Verdot, and it's made in decent enough quantities that it should be easy to find."
- Item #: i_256770Bottle Size: 750mlThe Louer Family Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon is filled with layers of juicy dark red fruit and dark chocolate with touches of toasty oak. Velvety tannins from 24 months of 100% New French Oak create a Cabernet Lovers.
- Item #: i_259955Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsThis is the latest release for an exciting Bordeaux-style blend from Shafer Vineyards; one of the most prized wineries in all of the Napa Valley! TD-9 is a proprietary blend that celebrates a bold move. In 1973, in the space of a few months, John Shafer went from riding morning commuter trains in Chicago to teaching himself to drive a TD-9 tractor in his Napa Valley vineyard. He'd never grown grapes or made wine in his life. That spirit of risk-taking and adventure still guides Shafer today and inspired the creation of this new wine.
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2017 TD-9 Proprietary Red Blend is mostly Merlot yet includes 22% Malbec and a small amount of Cabernet Sauvignon. Deep purple-hued with sweet aromas of jammy blackberries, spiced cherries, herbes de Provence, and dried flowers, it is a wonderfully textured, medium to full-bodied, balanced red with sweet tannins and a great finish. It's going to evolve nicely for 10-12 years."
- Item #: i_276518Bottle Size: 750mlFormerly knows as "Torchiana"
This wine is a barrel selection from three historic Chardonnay vineyards. The Beresini Vineyard's thirty year-old, dry-farmed heritage vines contribute depth and texture, Hyde Vineyard's wind-cooled topography gives minerality and precision and Durell Vineyard adds richness and opulence. The sum of this winemaker's selection is greater than its parts.
The fruit from each of the vineyards were picked separately at their individual optimum ripeness levels and pressed directly to barrel for fermentation relying on the natural yeasts from the vineyard. The small French oak cooperage is a mix of Damy for its contribution of "walking into a Parisian bakery" aromas, Saury for its gentle spice and a little Francois Frere. Malolactics in 2018 took 6-9 months contributing nuanced complexity and textural depth. For this wine winemaker Jeff Aimes selected the most citrus, floral, crisp, mineral barrels and bottled them in early August after 11 months maturation.
A culmination of three wonderful Chardonnay vineyards, the interplay of each vineyard has given a beautifully svelte, balanced and harmonious wine. Elegant fruit flavors of ripe citrus, white flower and minerals are layered with brioche, nutmeg and fresh cream complexities. The palate is exciting, with a juxtaposition of dense concentration and svelte creamy texture, with balancing freshness, crispness and structural tension. Delicious right out of the gate, yet with the substance to develop beautifully over the next 5-10 years.