- Item #: i_205580Bottle Size: 750mlBorn in Michoacan, Mexico, winemaker Edgar Torres has lived in the coastal town of Cambria, California since the age of 8. As it seems to happen to many people who live close to Paso Robles, he fell in love with wine and decided to make his livelihood in the wine business. Hey…can you blame him?!? He has worked with many of the superstars of the Central Coast, including Matt Garretson, Augie Hug, Alta Maria Vineyards, Barrel 27, and McPrice Myers. We sampled his latest releases a few months ago, and they really knocked our socks off! The intensity of these wines are rivaled by few here in the United States, and we suggest you check out what Edgar can do!
A combination of two great vineyards, Alta Mesa vineyard in Santa Barbara and Kimsey Vineyard in Santa Ynez. This wine screams aromas of red flowers, dark cranberries, cherries, pomegranate, hints of grilled herbs, and leather. The palate mimics much of the nose with a great freshness and minerality, and has good grippy tannins making it worthy of aging. This wine is big and pairs well with meat or seared tuna. Enjoy now or lay it down for 7-9 years.
- Item #: i_205610Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 50% Garnacha, 33% Carignan, and 17% Tempranillo from the Paper Street Vineyard. The 2016 Mi Montsant was my favorite of these offerings from Bodega De Edgar, offering up lovely aromas of blackberry, spice, cherry, dried flowers and burning embers. On the palate, it's full-bodied, rich and layered, with a lavish core of fruit but also lovely energy and definition. The finish is long and finely tannic.
- Item #: i_214480Bottle Size: 750mlA ripe, rich blend of 47% Grenache, 47% Tannat, and 6% Syrah.
Winemaker's Comment: Tannat is justly famous for its huge tannins and dark, inky color. It can be a rough wine, lacking charm and complexity, but in a cuvée, it adds undeniable power, grip and palate weight. We chose Grenache and Syrah to soften the Tannat’s grip and add layers of fruit to the Tannat’s spice and coal notes.
- Item #: i_214830Bottle Size: 750mlPlanted in 1999, Denner Vineyards is a winegrowing estate on the far western border of the Paso Robles AVA. Their 156 acres press up against the Santa Lucia Range, giving the site great diversity of elevation, aspect and soil. Previously dry farmed barley, the estate is nestled into the Templeton Gap, an East/West corridor where the marine layer can reach the inland valleys. As a result they receive large diurnal temperature swings without high moisture pressure, giving us a near perfect growing climate.
The 108 acres under vine are comprised of 19 different varieties in 26 unique blocks. Each block is farmed with painstaking attention to detail, allowing only for the best possible grapes to reach the winery. Aron Nevarez, their vineyard manager, is committed to environmentally friendly farming practices, using only sustainable inputs and minimal irrigation.
- Item #: i_274960Bottle Size: 750mlJordan gives respect to to Rose, as it can be perfectly balanced and complex. Her rendition is a blend of 62% Mourvedre, 21% Grenache, and 17% Syrah. With delicate notes of strawberry, hay, honeysuckle, crisp peach, and sweet lemon/lime, Mourvedre makes a huge impression at 62% of this irresistible MGS Rhône Rose blend. As the aromas continue to evolve and the wine warms in your glass, this Rose soars across the palate in a yin/yang balance between fruit, flowers, wet stones, saline, and zingy acid. This is a wine that we crave all day long.
- Item #: i_228110Bottle Size: 750mlCotes de Paso is Halter Ranch's Rhone-style blend that is a combination of four varietals from their sustainably farmed estate vineyard. A blend of 62% Grenache, 17% Mourvedre, 11% Syrah, and 10% Tannat. Grenache provides a bright fruit-forward entry, Mourvedre adds spice notes, while Syrah brings some weight to the mid-palate, and Tannat ties everything together with color, tannin and acidity. Loaded with aromas of dried strawberry, cinnamon sticks and potpourri, this delicious wine has an elegant palate that leads to a long smooth finish.
- Item #: i_277620Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93-95 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Another elegant and seamless wine is the 2017 Cote a Cote (48% Grenache, 32% Mourvedre, and the balance Syrah) has an exotic, perfumed style in its cassis and strawberry fruits, and it's full-bodied, nicely concentrated, and layered on the palate. I love its tannin quality, it's balanced, and is going to drink nicely right out of the gate."
- Item #: i_234510Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the Paso Robles AVA, Law Family Vineyards sits at 1800 feet of elevation, higher than most vineyards in the area. This gives Law Estate distinct microclimates in an appellation already known to have a greater day-to-night temperature swing than any other in California. Calcareous soils with high lime content make these vineyards the best of the best. John Crossland at Vineyard Professional Services, with input from the Laws and winemaker Scott Hawley, designed and planted the thirty-two acres of Rhone varietals in 2008. Eighty percent of the vineyard is planted in multiple clones of Grenache and Syrah with smaller blocks of Mourvedre, Petite Sirah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Carignane and Tempranillo. Sustainable farming with minimal applications results in premium fruit.
A blend of 86% Grenache and 14% Syrah, and always a charmer, the 2016 Beguiling is as rich as it is complex, with dark cherry and hints of cranberry making their home in a copia of wild florals and herbs. From the core, its juicy freshness rides along an impressive wave of acidity which provides balance to the weight of this powerful, yet beautifully finessed wine. On the finish, there is a resurgence of fruit and engulfing tannin, that will keep not only your palate, but all your senses fully engaged with every sip.
- Item #: i_234580Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 36% Grenache, 34% Syrah, and 30% Mourvedre, the 2016 Sagacious provides the most complete depiction of Law's estate vineyard as a whole, and the sensational complexity that stems from the combination of the three varieties housed in this trademark Paso-style blend. It's hard to name a better trio, with the dark berries, both fresh and dried sage, heaps of spice and zest like freshness. Strong and structured, its powdered tannins encompass an incredibly long finish that keeps this wine energized to carry its killer density effortlessly.
- Item #: i_237730Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 94 POINTS - "Deep vivid ruby. Assertive cherry and raspberry liqueur aromas are complemented by suggestions of baking spices and candied flowers. Sappy and expansive in the mouth, offering appealingly sweet red and blue fruit preserve and candied lavender flavors that are energized by a spicy touch of white pepper. Shows impressive depth as well as energy and finishes impressively long and smooth, with well-knit tannins and strong, floral-driven persistence. 15% whole clusters and once-used French oak."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "In the same ballpark, yet more Grenache-dominated, the 2016 Acceleration (85% Grenache and 15% Syrah) boasts a deep ruby color as well as notes of kirsch, dried soil, and savory spices. Medium to full-bodied, seamless, and elegant, it's another beautiful wine from winemaker Aaron Jackson that will cruise in the cellar on its balance and purity."
- Item #: i_277766Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95 POINTS - "Saturated ruby. Powerful red and dark berry preserve scents are complemented by suggestions of exotic spices, incense and floral pastilles, and a smoky mineral flourish adds urgency. Sappy and seamless in texture, offering vivacious raspberry and cherry liqueur and spicecake flavors energized by a strong jolt of juicy acidity. The blend of power and energy here is really impressive. Smooth, harmonious tannins build steadily on a strikingly long, seamless finish that leaves behind candied lavender and juicy red berry notes."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "I’ve written it numerous time, but Linne Calodo remains one of the reference point estates in Paso Robles. Winemaker/owner Matt Trevisan consistently puts together exotic and singular blends that deliver opulence as well as balance."
"The 2016 Rising Tides knocks it out of the park in 2016. A blend of 77% Grenache, 14% Mourvedre, and 9% Syrah, this ruby-tinged beauty boasts thrilling notes of black raspberries, crushed flowers, dried herbs, and incense. Beautifully textured, medium to full-bodied, and elegant, it's a sensational Grenache blend that does everything right. Brought up in a mix of concrete tanks and neutral larger French oak barrels, it's one of the finest vintages for this cuvee to date. Drink it any time over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_257880Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 76% Grenache, 19% Mourvedre, and 5% Counoise, the 2019 Patelin de Tablas Rose is a vibrant light peach color. On the nose are spicy aromatics of nectarine, grapefruit pith, sea spray, and crushed rock. The mouth is bright with flavors of yellow raspberry and blood orange, with mouthwatering acidity giving focus to a long finish with flavors of lemon drop, briny mineral, and a little rose petal florality. Drink now and over the next year.
Tablas Creek Vineyard was founded by the Perrin family of Chateau de Beaucastel and Robert Haas of Vineyard Brands to produce California's best examples of southern Rhone varietals and Chateauneuf du Pape style blends. The partners chose a 120-acre property in the limestone hills of west Paso Robles and imported new clones of Syrah, Mourvedre, Grenache, etc., from the Beaucastel estate, and farms their estate organically.
The vineyards and resulting wines showed such purity, intensity, and complexity that the neighbors of Tablas Creek began to plant new vineyards using vines that were propagated from those Beaucastel vines. Tablas Creek's Patelin red, white, and rose are made from grapes harvested from their neighbors' vineyards, and these have become some of the best values in the entire Paso Robles region! This year, it was their rose that stood out like a full moon on a clear night.
When you drink French rose, Grenache or Mourvedre are typically the dominant grapes, so it makes sense that Paso Robles (being a hotbed for Rhone varietals) would make their own roses. We have sampled quite a few of them this year, and while there are definitely some winners, Tablas Creek's is at the top of our list! Dry, crisp, and lower in alcohol (13.0%), this wine definitely is French in style!
- Item #: i_270950Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 58% Grenache, 27% Syrah, 11% Mourvedre, and 4% Tempranillo from James Berry and Kruse Vineyards.