- Item #: i_212020Bottle Size: 750MLThe cool growing region of Carneros allows Clos Pegase to keep the verve and complexity in their Chardonnay and delivers just the right amount of naturally bright acidity that works well when paired with the finest French oak. Clear lemon yellow in the glass. Upfront aromas of peach, melon, cut straw and bakers spice. A smooth delivery on the palate displays flavors of stone fruit, cantaloupe and pears with subtle notes of brioche and toasted coconut. The acid is bright and maintains a pleasant balance in the wine.
- Item #: i_222170Bottle Size: 750mlAromas are concentrated and complex in Foley Johnson's 2017 Carneros Chardonnay. Notes of grilled peach, pear, buttered croissant, and vanilla set the stage for a rich, and full-bodied Chardonnay. The aromas expand on the palate with mouthwatering flavors of pear, apple crisp, honeysuckle, toasted coconut, and vanilla wafer. This wine's balance and structure coupled with its bright acidity makes it an age-worthy wine to be enjoyed for several years. Enjoy this beauty with a succulent roasted chicken and wild mushroom risotto.
- Item #: i_228780Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 94This could, very well, be one of the best joint ventures for Chardonnay anywhere in the world! HDV wines combine the exquisite and highly sought-after vineyards of Larry Hyde, and the visionary quest for perfection of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti's Aubert de Villaine. Using sustainable farming practices, and planting clones suited to the soil have given the Hyde vineyard a reputation that cannot be outdone. As for Aubert, his family's pursuit for perfection has given them one of the best reputations in the wine world. Together, these families have comprised a Chardonnay whose style is a perfect balance between California richness and Burgundian minerality.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard is a blend of Calera and Wente clones, which, along with the decision to pick early, yields a Chardonnay with distinctly salty, saline notes that give the wine energy, tension and persistence. Orchard fruit, white flowers, mint and white pepper add striking aromatic top notes. The 2017 is quiet understated, but it is also just sublime. The 2017 spent 12 months in oak (15% new) and about four months in tank prior to bottling. It is pure class."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay opens with pure notes of poached pears, white peach, quince and apple pie plus notions of citrus blossoms, smoke, toast and honeyed hints in the undercurrent—what a superb perfume! The palate is still youthfully wound, offering energetic citrus and mineral-laced fruits, tangy, vibrant and bright and finishing very long and nuanced."
- Item #: i_241610Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Wine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Well-structured, with fresh-cut apple, pear and honeydew melon flavors that are broad and generously spiced. Hints of lavender show on the creamy finish. Drink now through 2022."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay has a nose of apple, peach and green guava with touches of lightly browned toast and yeast extract. Medium-bodied and refreshing with allspice notions coming through, it has a slight oiliness to the texture and good length."
Winery's Notes: "The fruit for this Chardonnay was grown primarily on our Stanly Ranch Estate Vineyard in Carneros with some select lots from the Hyde and Poe Vineyards blended in. These vineyards' proximity to the San Pablo Bay keeps them at a cool temperature and brings cool climate characteristics to the wine, most notably a crisp freshness. Each vineyard was picked and pressed separately. After pressing, the juices were allowed to settle naturally overnight and were then put into French oak barrels. Fermentation started naturally and lasted for six months. Native malolactic fermentation occurred during this time as well. The wine spent 12 months in 30% new French oak barrels. One month prior to bottling, each lot of wine was racked and then blended to prepare for bottling."
"The goal for this wine is finesse and complexity which is enhanced by using long, slow, native fermentations. From the Napa side of Carneros, this Chardonnay is a beautiful golden color. The nose opens up with some roasted almonds and then evolves to floral and fruit notes including bergamot, pineapple, ripe peaches and citrus. In the mouth, the entry is very round and fresh with plenty of fruit flavors. The acidity is very soft, and guided by the minerality, balance and a lingering finish."
- Item #: i_247100Bottle Size: 750MLThe Carneros District Chardonnay comes from three vineyards planted to 'Shot-Wente' selection. All are in the cool-weather area of Carneros, near the San Francisco Bay. 'Shot-Wente' is an heirloom Chardonnay selection with grapes that are smaller than normal, giving them increased skin surface relative to the juice. That ratio makes the wine especially flavorful.
Apple, pear, peach, apricot, lemon, lime, orange, pineapple, kiwi, butter, cream and vanilla
- Item #: i_252870Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 97About 20 years ago, David Ramey was part of a select group of winemakers who became tired of "laboratory" or "squeaky clean" wines devoid of character. He wanted to bring terroir back into wines from California, and his success was the benefit of the consumer! David Ramey became known throughout the wine world as a winemaker associated with stellar quality, and he brought his expertise to brands such as Chalk Hill, Matanzas Creek, Dominus Estate and Rudd Estate, as well as his own brand. The prestigious Hyde vineyard is located in the wind-swept Carneros region that straddles both Napa and Sonoma Counties. Larry Hyde's vineyard is the sources for several notable wineries, including Ramey, Patz and Hall, Kistler, Aubert, Tor and Miner. The soils here are only 30 inches deep with impenetrable clay subsoil which limits vine vigor and crop yield. The combination of this region's climate, soil and the Hyde family's dedication to farming as best they can results in some of the most sought-after grapes in California. Combine Dave Ramey with this vineyard, and you have a recipe for one of the best Chardonnays out of Carneros!
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "More tropical and citrus notes emerge from the 2017 Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard, which has a beautiful chalky minerality as well as medium to full-bodied richness, bright, racy acidity, a crisp texture, and a great finish. With remarkable purity of fruit as well as a chiseled mouthfeel, it's another magical Chardonnay from this estate that will stand up to any Grand Cru White Burgundy out there. It has plenty to love today yet will be best with 2-3 years of bottle age and keep for over a decade."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard is bold and racy. Orange peel, mint, tropical fruit and spice all flesh out effortlessly. The 2017 shows all of the creaminess and density that is such a signature of Hyde Chardonnays. Although the 2017 is quite expressive today, my sense is that it will be even better with more time in bottle."
- Item #: i_258410Bottle Size: 750MLThis classic Carneros Chardonnay was grown primarily on the Schug Estate vineyard, with additional barrels from their grower-partners Ricci, Wildcat, Leveroni, Wood Valley and Iund Vineyards. It was fermented and aged on the lees (sur-lie) in small French oak barrels, with minimal new oak introduced. Malo-lactic fermentation was not induced, allowing the wine to retain its natural acidity and varietal focus. The result is a wine that is both rich and powerful, while refreshing and elegant on the finish. It has a ripe, spicy tropical bouquet with flavors that suggest citrus, pear and spiced apples. Well-balanced acidity gives it a crisp, clean finish, making it an excellent wine with food. Try it with cream soups, rich seafood, fowl, veal and pasta dishes.
- Item #: i_275235Bottle Size: 750mlLos Carneros is one of the most prestigious Chardonnay growing area in California, and this wine demonstrates why. Vine Cliff's 2017 Los Carneros Chardonnay is classic Chardonnay. Elegant with complex aromas of pear, green apple, lemon citrus, mineral and floral notes. There is a rich bouquet of hazelnut, butterscotch, and vanilla. The palate is rich and luscious, balanced with bright acidity. Flavors of creme brulee, pear, apple and lemon creme linger on the long smooth finish.