- Item #: i_220560Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is comprised of grapes from 60 different vineyard lots in Sonoma County that are blended together to create one full-bodied, delicious Chardonnay. The grapes are destemmed, pressed, then cold settled in stainless steel tanks before moving to barrels for fermentaion. Aged separately in French oak, the wine completes 92% malolactic fermentation, then is sur lie aged and stirred every two weeks until final blending in May, followed by bottling in June.
This Chardonnay delights with aromas of citrus, pear, vanilla, graham cracker and buttercream perfectly balanced by vibrant, rich flavors of baked apple, apricot, cinnamon and hazelnut. Lingering creamy and toasted oak notes round out the finish.
- Item #: i_249370Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90Vinous Media: 92Named after Fess' daughter, Ashley, this Chardonnay represents the best of the acclaimed Sta. Rita Hills growing region. The majority of the grapes come from a vineyard developed by the Parker family in 1996 situated only 12 miles from the Pacific Ocean. This hillside sites, sandy soils, persistent ocean breezes and fog make for a cold growing environment; the perfect scenario for Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. This wine shows pear, green apple, citrus, and lemon cream flavors complemented by attractive mineral notes with vanilla and toasty oak notes.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Ashley's is super-expressive. Lemon confit, white flowers, mint and white pepper all grace this open-knit, beautifully resonant Sta. Rita Hills Chardonnay. Rich and unctuous on the palate, yet with terrific floral lift and brightness, the Ashley's is a winner in this range from Fess Parker."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Shy on the nose with toast and smoke to begin, the 2017 Chardonnay Ashley's Vineyard slowly opens to lemon pith, Red Delicious apple, dried hay and white apricot. It's citrusy and minerally in the mouth and light to medium-bodied, with juicy acidity and a textured finish."
- Item #: i_249210Bottle Size: 750mlSince 1989 the Parker family-owned and -operated winery has produced wines of superior quality and value. This handcrafted wine represents the best of what Santa Barbara County Chardonnay has to offer. Flavors of ripe apple, butter, lemon, and melon are perfectly balanced with light toasty oak on the palate.
- Item #: i_220150Bottle Size: 750mlThis bottling is sourced entirely from Flowers' organic and biodynamically farmed Camp Meeting Ridge Estate Vineyard. Planted in 1991, these "older" vines are producing some of their most exciting and interesting Chardonnays today. Given the extremes of this site, each small block ripens at its own pace.
With a brilliant golden hue, lively aromas of lemon verbena, lime zest, honey suckle, chamomile, and citrus blossom dominate the distinctive nose. The palate is precise and focused, driven by mouthwatering acidity and framed by flinty, coastal minerality – a vivid expression of Flowers' Estate vineyard.
- Item #: i_220170Bottle Size: 750MLThe dramatic landscape of the Sonoma coast, with its steep hillsides and windswept foothills, gives Flowers a diverse profile of well-draining soils, while direct proximity to the Pacific Ocean results in a long, cool growing season. These extreme coastal conditions allow Flowers to produce a layered Chardonnay with bright fruit focus, complex minerality and crystalline acidity. Flowers' Sonoma Coast Chardonnay is sourced from a small selection of family-owned sites, including their own estate Camp Meeting Ridge Vineyard.
Medium yellow in color, this wine displays aromas of straw, lemon verbena, and honey suckle that mingle with layers of lemon meringue and lychee. Upon entry are flavors of lemon curd, honeydew, and hints of star fruit and wet stone, balanced with a touch of fine grained tannin. The crisp finish is countered with a spicy note of white pepper and lingers with coastal minerality.
- Item #: i_238710Bottle Size: 750mlDelightfully elegant floral notes of orange blossom, linden, and honeysuckle awaken your senses. Flavors are fresh and inviting on the palate with bright minerality complemented by zippy tangerine fruit. Soft oak notes linger on the finish with flavors of nutmeg, vanilla and toasted pecans. This 2016 has enough body to stand up to a wide array of foods and the balance to drink well on its own.
- Item #: i_222170Bottle Size: 750mlAromas are concentrated and complex in Foley Johnson's Carneros Chardonnay. Notes of grilled peach, pear, buttered croissant, and vanilla set the stage for a rich, and full-bodied Chardonnay. The aromas expand on the palate with mouthwatering flavors of pear, apple crisp, honeysuckle, toasted coconut, and vanilla wafer. This wine's balance and structure coupled with its bright acidity makes it an age-worthy wine to be enjoyed for several years. Enjoy this beauty with a succulent roasted chicken and wild mushroom risotto.
- Item #: i_222280Bottle Size: 750MLFontanella Family's 2019 Chardonnay delivers the heft and beautiful fruit that consistently make this the Chardonnay for red wine-lovers! Meyer Lemon zest and pineapple on the nose invite you into a round mouthfeel packed with honeysuckle, baked apples and cinnamon, toasted marshmallow, and lemon meringue – all balanced with the trademark Mt. Veeder minerality and crisp acidity that cleanse and refresh your palate after each sip.
- Item #: i_262605Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 91Back in 1978, Ric Forman made the decision to produce Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay in amounts small enough so he could personally be as meticulous as he felt necessary, without anybody getting in his way. Pretty much since his first vintage, his wines have been hard to get, with the majority of his wines being sold directly off his mailing list. We have typically received a small allocation, and this typically sells out within a few months, but before it does, we felt the need to let you know about this gem, even if it will be gone in a short amount of time! A passion for a more austere Chablis style from this noble grape has been Ric's goal for more then 36 years. This Chardonnay is whole cluster pressed and exclusively fermented in Burgundy barrels. Left sur lie for 7 months (aged on the dead yeast cells is common in Burgundy), the wine is racked once during its 9 months of barrel aging, with the secondary fermentation intentionally inhibited.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay is bright and nuanced, as it always is. Lemon peel, almond, dried flowers and light tropical overtones abound. As always, Forman blocks the malolactic fermentation in his Chardonnay, which makes for an especially understated style by Napa Valley standards. Even so, the 2018 is also a touch light for this wine."
- Item #: i_222700Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsFoxen has been producing wines since the mid '80's in Northern Santa Barbara County. Founders Bill Wathen and Dick Dore's vision has always been the same since the start; sustainably-farmed, vineyard-focused wines using a straightforward and minimalist approach to winemaking. The wines they produce always display beautiful balance, great texture with layers of nuances and this 2014 Bien Nacido Vineyard Block UU Chardonnay fits that statement "To a T"!
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay Bien Nacido Vineyard Block UU is light on its feet and supremely gracious. As always, this is a Chardonnay that was grafted onto Riesling rootstock, is so unique. The aromas and flavors are beautifully lifted throughout. Lime, ginger, lemon confit and white flowers add to the wine's total sense of allure."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Moving to the two Chardonnays, the 2018 Chardonnay Bien Nacido Vineyard Block UU sports a light gold color as well as a pure, crystalline bouquet of honeyed apple, pineapple, citrus blossom, spice, and white flower. It has a kiss of background oak, but it's beautifully integrated, and the fruit is front and center. With good acidity, a balanced, layered texture, and a great finish, it's already drinking nicely yet should keep for 7-8 years, if you're so inclined."
- Item #: i_223250Bottle Size: 750MLLocated in the heart of Napa-Carneros, touching the shores of San Pablo Bay, the Lewis Vineyard is named after Rich Frank's eldest grandson, Lewis and was purchased in 2000. Gently rolling hills span 86 acres, 58 of which are planted to Chardonnay, the Lewis Vineyard consists primarily of shallow and dense clay loam soils, receiving only 20 inches of rainfall annually. The restricting soils in combination with the maritime influence from proximity to the bay, result in extremely low yields, producing grapes with strong character and balanced acidity. The practice of cool climate viticulture and the planting of small-clustered Dijon clones, such as clone 95, contribute to an intensity that is found in the Chardonnays of Frank Family's Lewis Vineyard.
- Item #: i_274436Bottle Size: 750mlBright and lively; it opens with aromas of lemon/lime zest, candied Meyer lemon, yellow nectarine, raw ginger and dried Mirabelle plum. These fresh aromas are countered by vanilla, butterscotch, spice cake and creamy butter giving rise to a vibrant and harmonious combination. The palate is crisp, mellow and full; bursting with stone fruit, green apple, and Asian pear while being laced throughout with gentle toasted oak aromas of vanilla and spice.
- Item #: i_223470Bottle Size: 750MLRyo-fu is Japanese for "cool breeze." The cool, foggy breeze that comes off the Pacific Ocean allows the Russian River Valley to grow high quality Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. The area's sandy soil is crucial as well; but without the right temperatures, the fruit could ripen too soon or not at all. Thanks to Freeman's local "ryo-fu", the growing seasons are perfectly timed for their vineyards. The 2015 vintage will go down as the earliest Chardonnay harvest on record at Freeman, and with a little help from that cool breeze, all of the fruit came in perfectly ripe.
A blend of Chardonnay from vineyards such as Keefer, Heintz, and Mill Station, the wine shows medium straw color, with a throwback nose of matchstick, honey, ripe Gravenstein apples, and melon. The palate is tightly wound, combining strong acidity and a dense core of fruit. It will take a few years in bottle to reach its peak, but with enough aeration in the glass, everything comes together to reveal a vibrant, well-balanced Chardonnay. The drinking window should be 2018–2023.
- Item #: i_223710Bottle Size: 750mlFreemark Abbey is one of Napa's hallmark producers with a rich history dating back to pre-prohibition days. They were also one of the 12 Wineries featured in "The 1976 Judgment of Paris" tasting where California won every single category, which catapulted Napa Valley onto the world stage as a premier wine-producing region. Ted Edwards has been at the helm as winemaker for over 3 decades crafting these classically-styled wines while garnering rave reviews from the top critics year after year. This producer is also no stranger to our Hi-Time Cellars top 10 wines of the year feature we do every holiday season which should tell you how our staff feels about the level of quality, commitment and consistency!
CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE WINERY
- Item #: i_223910Bottle Size: 750mlFrei Brothers' Russian River Valley Chardonnay is a soft and complex reflection of one of Sonoma's most renowned cool-climate regions. This wine displays flavors of green apple, orange zest and apple pie, complemented by notes of butter and toast. The rich, nutty flavors in this Chardonnay lead to a silky finish and a plush mouthfeel.
- Item #: i_223844Bottle Size: 750mlOrganic Chardonnay Our Chardonnay is stainless steel fermented and exposed to minimal oak. It is fruity and bright with hints of apple, pear, and caramel. Enjoy with pumpkin risotto, honey-glazed carrots, or scalloped potatoes.
- Item #: i_224040Bottle Size: 750MLWinery's Notes: "At Frog's Leap, we have been fortunate enough to work with the same Chardonnay vineyard ever since our first vintage in 1985. Planted by the renowned Truchard family in 1979, these vines are deeply rooted in the decomposed shale and sandstone that are characteristic of the steeply-sloped hillsides of Carneros, and lend themselves perfectly to the balanced, restrained style that is our signature. Held for less than 5 days in new French oak barrels, the wine is racked at the peak of its fermentation to concrete vessels, where it sits, untouched and sur lie, for up to 10 months. Grown in shale and aged in stone, our Chardonnay boasts incredible freshness and a distinct mineral edge that speaks directly to its origins."
- Item #: i_219890Bottle Size: 750mlPellegrini's Olivet Lane Vineyard was planted in 1975 to Wente selection on AXR roostock. The vineyard sits on 65 acres of sloping benchland in the Santa Rosa Plain, in between the warmer Westside Road region andthe cooler Green Valley, where warm sunny days are moderated by cool breezes and chilly evening temperatures. The combination of low temperature, regular fog intrusion and well-drained loam, clay soils create an excellent environment for growing Chardonnay that develop cool-climate characteristics and impeccable acid at fairly low sugars. The wines from this vineyard simultaneously express power and finess, and they do so with tremendous balance.
Winemaker's Tasting Notes: "Attractive citrus notes of lemon tart, grapefruit and lime zest initially open up in the glass, followed by rich aromas of honeysuckle, lemongrass and pie crust. The palate opens up with flavors of roasted Meyer lemon, wildflower honey, apricot and peach. The texture is rich and creamy with an underlying layer of acidity and loads of fleshy fruit that linger into a persistent finish."
- Item #: i_219940Bottle Size: 750mlThis layered and complex Chardonnay brings together fruit from several of the winery's favorite Russian River Valley vineyard sites. Anchored by the naturally balanced character of Westside Farms and intriguing floral and stone fruit notes from Bacigalupi Vineyard, the wine's great concentration and structure derive from the nearby Rochioli and Allen vineyards. Olivet Lane Vineyard, featuring the Wente clone, adds refreshing citrus tones and excellent acidity.
This wine begins with intense aromatics of fresh cut lilies, chive blossoms, zesty lemons, limes and pithy white grapefruit. The abundant citrus on the nose persists on the palate as you are greeted with invigorating notes of freshly squeezed lemon juice, jasmine green tea and spicy wasabi arugula. This all comes together seamlessly on a silky palate with delicate undertones of creme fraiche and Marzipan. Pale straw in color, elegant aromas of jasmine and apple blossom fill the glass. Just ripened nectarines and white peaches compliment the pronounced floral tones while hints of graham cracker provide depth and richness. Balanced natural acidity coupled with a complex essence of zesty citrus oil capture the myriad of flavors and leave a lasting impression upon the palate.
- Item #: i_222500Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 92The Gran Moraine vineyard was planted in 2005 to several different Dijon clones. Located five miles west of the town of Carlton this site is one of the more westerly vineyards in the Yamhill-Carlton AVA and therefore subject to the cooling afternoon breezes that roll off the Pacific. A variety of slopes, aspects, row direction, and plant material offer a wide diversity of blocks to choose from when blending this Yamhill-Carlton Chardonnay.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "Pale yellow. Fresh pear, melon and lemon curd aromas are complemented by hints of white flowers, vanilla and buttered toast. Fleshy and seamless in the mouth, offering juicy citrus and orchard fruit flavors that tighten up and pick up a minerally nuance with aeration. Finishes with firm grip, a repeating floral note and strong, spicy persistence."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "TThe 2017 Chardonnay Yamhill-Carlton has a wonderfully open, inviting nose of honey-drizzled hazelnuts, apple pie, clotted cream, baked peaches, allspice and crushed stone. The medium-bodied palate is creamy textured and savory in character with juicy acidity and a long, textured finish. This will benefit from one more year in bottle. 2,303 cases produced."