- Item #: i_200340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Located in an ancient volcanic zone in the Sonoma County, Knights Valley (pictured above) offers incredibly unique and diverse soils with a climate perfectly suited to Bordeaux varietals, as demonstrated by the delicious wines made by Peter Michael, Keplinger and Beringer. Anakota is one of Knights Valley's stars that produces wines that personify the rustic elegance and spirit of this volcanic area. With Mount St. Helena looking down upon the vineyard, prevailing westerly winds pass over a large, cold pond and blow uphill, parallel to the rows of vines. These cooling breezes slow down the ripening of the grapes and result in wines that are packed with elegance, complexity and finesse. The wines are crafted by Pierre Seillan, whose deft hand has also created 100 point wines at Verite!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Fruit for this was harvested on September 8th, and the wine was bottled six months ago. Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Helena Montana Vineyard gives up exuberant notions of warm blueberries, creme de cassis, lilacs and chocolate box with hints of fertile loam, licorice and menthol. Medium-bodied, elegant, very fresh and juicy, the palate has beautifully ripe, fine-grained tannins supporting the generous fruit, finishing long and perfumed. 1,200 cases produced."
- Item #: i_215485Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Arrowood Winery is pure Sonoma, located in the historic Sonoma Valley, a swath of land tucked between the Mayacamas Mountains and Napa to the east, and Sonoma Mountain to the west. When Richard and Alis Arrowood started the winery in 1986, Richard was already experienced and quite revered from his stints at Korbel and Chateau St. Jean. The Arrowood winery first came to prominence by way of the single-vineyard Chardonnays and Reserve Cabernets that were hoarded by most of the savvy collectors, and this was at a time where Napa Cabernets were quite popular, but this wasn’t the case in Sonoma. Richard’s methods made people take note of Sonoma Cabernets, and the region owes him quite a lot! The Arrowoods have since retired and sold the property, but the new owners and their winemaker (Kristina Werner) have every intention of keeping this property a world-class winery, and judging by this bottling, they haven’t missed a beat!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Another brilliant effort is the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Speciale, which actually comes from five vineyard sites in Sonoma (Monte Rosso, Kellogg, Smothers, Sellitto and Lasseter). It's also 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, barrel selected and blended after 24 months, then aged another 8 months in 45% new French oak. This opaque purple wine has a long pedigree and a history of aging for 25 to 35 or more years, and I don't see any evidence that has changed, although Kristina Werner is now making the wine rather than Dick Arrowood. This is a big, powerful, classic Cabernet Sauvignon, with loamy soil notes intermixed with unsmoked cigar tobacco, blackcurrants, licorice, and touches of graphite and oak. Full-bodied and muscular, it will be better in 3-4 years and keep for 25-30 years at the very minimum."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Speciale is a very good wine, maybe even more than that, but it is also less distinctive than some of other wines in the range as it draws from an array of vineyard sites. Deep and intense, the 2013 offers a striking interplay of racy, dark red stone fruit and more floral/savory notes. There is no shortage of power and concentration. The 2013 should drink well with minimal cellaring."
- Item #: i_215493Bottle Size: 375mlVinous Media: 90**Please note, this is a half sized bottleANTONIO GALLONI 90 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Estates is soft, pliant and open-knit, all qualities that make it a terrific choice for drinking now and over the next few years. The purity of the red- fruit and floral/savory aromatics is striking. Red plum, mocha, sage and cedar add layers of nuance. This is such a pretty wine."
- Item #: i_201500Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 91ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (Knights Valley) is very pretty. Bright, punchy and full of life, the 2016 has too much to offer. A rush of red berry fruit, flowers, savory herbs and crushed rocks runs through this super-expressive, delineated Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a gorgeous Knights Valley Cabernet. The mid-weight, energetic style is quite appealing."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "Similarly colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley is a bigger, richer wine loaded with notions of chocolatey dark fruits, notes of loamy earth and cedar, medium to full body, and a charming, delicious, mouthfilling style. It's another outstanding wine from this team that has loads to love."
- Item #: i_204350Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine was made with grapes grown with certified sustainable farming methods. Benziger's sustainable philosophy promotes natural vineyard management, restoration of the land and biodiversity on the estate. Benziger's Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon is very inviting with aromas of black olive and savory, dark fruit. Its well weighted structure and integrated tannins add a light chalkiness to the palate. Flavors of black currant, Bing cherry and juicy plum endure from start to finish, as hints of tea and cocoa help support the mid-palate.
- Item #: i_205310Bottle Size: 750mlBeringer Vineyards has owned and farmed its Knights Valley vineyards since the mid-1960s, when the Beringer family recognized that the cobbled, rocky alluvial soils were a great place to grow high quality wine grapes. The Knights Valley designation was first used on a Beringer label in 1974. Beringer was instrumental in garnering official recognition for the area in 1983 as a premier wine growing region with the award of its own American Viticulture Area (AVA) designation.
This approachable and delicious Cabernet Sauvignon is a generous Bordeaux blend, with soft and silky tannins and a plush, full mouth-feel. Although this wine is built to age and develop further complexity, the generous and juicy upfront fruit makes it extremely enjoyable in its youth. Aromas of dried herbs, lavender, fresh boysenberry and lanolin join flavors of dark fruit led by figs, black cherry, and currants. The pronounced oak spice notes work well with the more traditional Knights Valley tones of black olive, wild sage and mocha. The wine is well-balanced with good acidity, structured tannins and a superbly elegant finish.
- Item #: i_210200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Chalk Hill's Estate is a compendium of unique microclimates, exposures and soil types. They are fortunate to be able to make everything from aromatic Sauvignon Blanc to big, bold Syrah. Nowhere is this ideal situation more evident than in their Estate Red, which is just that - the best blend of the red wines made from the estate. Each variety is perfectly matched to the vineyard site. The blend will also vary from year to year, as the vineyard yields and fruit quality depend greatly on the weather during springtime bloom and set, and during harvest. Cabernet and Malbec were the stars in 2016, and form the base of this Estate Red. Grapes grown on the rocky slopes of their Estate West vineyard make up the balance of the blend. This year, the final blend is comprised of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot, and 7% Merlot.
Chalk Hill's 2016 Estate Red opens with bold and intense aromas of blackberry, anise, tobacco leaf and dark chocolate. The palate is rich and savory, with layered flavors of black cherry, dark chocolate and leather with oak influences of vanilla and toast. Though firm, the tannins are rounded by a balanced acidity and a long and smooth finish. Though appealing in its youth, this wine will also age beautifully over the next 15 years.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Estate Red is a blend of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot and 7% Merlot. Deep ruby-purple, it's scented of pencil lead, cedar, cassis, maraschino cherry, cigar box and chocolate with touches of cardamom and dried spices. The palate is medium to full-bodied and lushly fruited, with a firm frame of very ripe, grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long. 4,998 cases produced."
- Item #: i_216826Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 16% Zinfandel, 8% Petite Sirah, 5% Malbec, 5% Petit Verdot, 2% Syrah, and 2% Carignan, this enticing wine displays gorgeous aromas of blackberry, plum, dark red fruit and cranberry, with hints of caramel and exotic spices. The luxurious berry notes are echoed on the palate, where they are supported by supple, refined tannins and an energetic mouthfeel that carries the wine to a long, lush finish.
- Item #: i_214580Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93A new project from the owners of Sinegal winery, Details is a bold Cabernet Sauvignon that blends Merlot, Petite Sirah, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot from Sonoma County. This vintage features fruit from the AVA’s of Sonoma Valley, Knights Valley, Alexander Valley, Dry Creek, and Chalk Hill.
Each specific appellation was chosen for its unique composition and contribution to the overall blend. The majority of this vintage hails from the Sonoma Valley AVA, from a premier eastern hillside site, along the Mayacamas Mountains behind Oakville. We wanted to balance the masculine structure with softer feminine qualities to arrive at a truly approachable wine when young, while improving with age—if you have the patience to wait. The tension between immediate versus delayed gratification. Your call...
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Details Cabernet Sauvignon is a new project from David Sinegal and winemaker Ryan Knoth made from a collection of top sites in Sonoma County, with a strong focus on Moon Mountain. Silky, yet powerful, with striking depth, the 2018 is simply magnificent. Readers will find a mid-weight, savory Cabernet Sauvignon. Best of all, the 2018 is a ridiculous value in today's world."
- Item #: i_220590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Delightfully rich, charming and accesssible, with ripe, firm tannis and a compelling core of rich dark berry, licorice, sage and cedar flavors. Impressive throughout. Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_228560Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "The complex aromas of dried cherry, blackberry bramble, orange peel, cherry tobacco, cedar, sandalwood, cardamom, pink peppercorn and forest floor give a decidedly autumn impression. Amazingly silky across the palate with sweet red fruits on the mid-palate, plenty of fine textured tannins and a long toasty finish. This is one of the most elegant and approachable Hanzell Vineyards Pinot Noirs in recent memory."
- Item #: i_228430Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Lovely aromas of rose petal, sage and blood orange zest elevate the core juicy fruit of pomegranate, Bing cherry and guava. The flavors echo the aromas with the addition of cranberry, pink grapefruit and an elegant minerality. Balanced acidity and fine tannins along with red fruit and earth flavors unfold across the palate, ending with a long, mineral-driven finish."
- Item #: i_233720Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96In 1980, screenwriter Robert Kamen purchased 280 acres of the southwestern slopes of the Mayacamas Range in Sonoma County. This mountainous property was rugged, overgrown, extremely rocky and very remote: virgin territory with no roads and no power. It was isolated, wild, beautiful and full of potential. Viticulturist Phil Coturri was brought into the project to develop and oversee the master plan. The vineyards are all biodynamically farmed.
It hasn't been that long since Robert Kamen's wine was featured on our Top Wine list, but this 2012 demands a recommendation! His vineyards are located in Sonoma Valley, on the backside of Mount Veeder, and year after year this is one of the finest Cabernets to come out of the area. The vineyards are organically farmed and the wines are made by the famed Mark Herold, who made incredible, high-scoring wines while at Buccella, Hestan and Merus. This shows that 2009 was not only a great vintage in Napa. In fact, this shows that some of the Napa guys can still learn a thing or two from Sonoma! Kamen's "Kashmir" Cabernet Sauvignon is different from their other wines. It is the best representation of quality and style from their property. The wine is comprised of the best barrels from the best vineyard blocks.
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Kamen is one of the most stunning properties on Moon Mountain. Mark Herold makes wines of real distinction and class for owner Robert Mark Kamen. The Cabernets, which are the flagships, are pretty flamboyant and full-throttle when they are young, but I have seen them age remarkably well."
"The 2017 Kashmir, 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, is rich and deep, with tremendous vertical explosiveness and lift. Black cherry, plum, lavender, chocolate, leather, licorice and spice all develop in the glass, but more than anything else I am struck by the wine's sense of refinement. This is an unctuous, full-throttle and exceptionally beautiful wine."
- Item #: i_236250Bottle Size: 750MLRich and boldly flavored, this Sonoma Valley Cabernet offers an intriguing bouquet of vanilla, raspberry and caramel that wraps around a core of black cherry, cassis and raspberry flavors. Kunde's estate Cabernet's rich, chewy tannins play across the palate and linger on the wine's complex finish.
- Item #: i_240160Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, the deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Monte Rosso Vineyard comes galloping out of the glass with notes of creme de cassis, warm plums, cast-iron pan and bouquet garni, plus touches of lavender and olives. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is chock-full of muscular fruit, framed by firm, grainy tannins, finishing with an herbal lift. 2,200 cases were made."
- Item #: i_240150Bottle Size: 750mlNever being the kind to just rest on their laurels, the Louis Martini winery keeps making top-notch wine for exceptionally reasonable prices. Not only has this been a previous Hi-Time "Wine of the Month", but it has also been rated at the top of the restaurants list of greatest wines for the price! Heck…even wine critic Robert Parker called a previous vintage of this wine, "one of the great values in Cabernet Sauvignon in the marketplace".
For more than 70 years, Martini family winemakers have walked the hillside vineyards of Napa and Sonoma counties, searching for the most distinctive flavors of the best Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Winemaker Michael Martini performs every aspect of winemaking by hand; no "wine factory" mentality, here! He blends small batches of mouth-filling wines (for this bottling, Alexander Valley and Dry Creek Valley) that can highlight the differences in the vineyards or balance their individual strengths in a marriage of flavor and structure.
The tannins make the young wine approachable but will still give it enough texture to age gracefully. This vintage had a long, calm growing season, helping create elevated and concentrated flavors that include wild berries, plum, licorice and mocha. The full-bodied and mouth-coating feel on the palate leads to a long, graceful finish with tones of intense fruit, dried herbs and cedar inside firm structure.
- Item #: i_253630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Mount Peak's "Sentinel" Cabernet Sauvignon is named for the shield-shaped block that pays a watchful eye to the entrance to Monte Rosso Vineyard. It's a muscular and intense wine with rich, deep tannins and mouthfilling, concentrated fruit. Aromas of ripe dark currants mingle with hints of brown sugar and sweet mint. Flavors of blackberry and cherry are woven through anise and toasted cedar, echoing in a long finish that is framed with notes of sweet cream. This wine has tremendous aging potential.
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The Mount Peak Winery is named after the original ghost winery that was on the Monte Rosso property, now owned by the Gallo family. The three wines I tasted are super-impressive, powerful, rich and concentrated."
"Lastly, 4,750 cases were made of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel, 83% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma and the rest from other Sonoma sources. It is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah aged in 53% new French oak. Again, ripeness is well-noted in the 15.7% alcohol, but there is not a bit of heat to the wine's overall character. A wine of considerable stature, gravitas, intensity and full-bodied power, it is muscular, backward and somewhat primordial, this wine needs a good 1-2 more years bottle age and should last for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_246110Bottle Size: 750mlHere’s a delightful Cabernet from a reliable winery at a very fair price! Murphy-Goode Estate Winery was founded in 1985 and produces excellent wines from grapes sourced from over 300 acres of vineyards in Sonoma’s Alexander Valley. This is a classic Alexander Valley Cabernet with seductive aromatics that feature blackberries, plums, sweet herbs, anise, dark chocolate, coffee and toasty oak. The complex aromas are mirrored on the palate with layers of flavors that include blackberries, cherries, currants, and baker’s chocolate. Aging in a combination of French and American oak has added vanilla and coffee nuances and supple texture. Crowd-pleasing Cabernet that tastes like a $20.00 bottle. Buy it by the case!
- Item #: i_242070Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Composed of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot, the 2017 Les Pavots comes from Knights Valley AVA. Deep garnet-purple in color, it leaps from the glass with vivacious notes of crushed black berries, Black Forest cake, blueberry compote and blackcurrant cordial with touches of camphor, lavender, tapenade and cigar box plus hints of mocha and pencil lead. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with muscular black fruits, framed by firm grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and savory. 2,050 cases were made."
- Item #: i_282860Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Cherryblock Vineyard, deep ruby in color, has slowly opening scents of cherry jam, tar, grilled meats, dried rose petals and graphite touches. The medium-bodied palate has excellent restraint and great balance of fruit, savory and spicy character, and it's firm but finely grained and fresh with a long finish. 1,610 cases produced."
- Item #: i_234581Bottle Size: 750mlDeep in color, this wine unveils fragrant fruit aromas of cassis, black BERRY and vanilla that join with complex notes of hazelnut and violet. These powerful flavors are matched by a dense palate that stays smooth through the long, lingering finish. While already approachable, this wine promises additional evolution with cellaring.
- Item #: i_270700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+ROBERT PARKER 97+ POINTS - "This winery, one of the gems of the Kendall-Jackson portfolio of boutique wineries, debuted in 1998 and has been hitting on all cylinders since. I suspect top priority is given to Bordelais winemaker Pierre Seillan's choice of the finest fruit he can find from Jackson's holdings in Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill and Knights Valley."
"The 2014 La Joie has a spicy black purple color and a big, sweet kiss of camphor, black truffle, pen ink, blackcurrants and unsmoked cigar tobacco, followed by layers of fruit and glycerin in an opulent, beautifully savory, pure and multidimensional wine. The final blend Seillan produced in 2014 was 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. This is a compellingly great effort once again. It should be given 2-5 years of bottle age, then drunk over the following three decades."
- Item #: i_270980Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER 98 POINTS - "This winery, one of the gems of the Kendall-Jackson portfolio of boutique wineries, debuted in 1998 and has been hitting on all cylinders since. I suspect top priority is given to Bordelais winemaker Pierre Seillan's choice of the finest fruit he can find from Jackson's holdings in Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill and Knights Valley."
"The 2014 Le Desir (53% Cabernet Franc, 21% Merlot, 21% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Malbec) has an inky purple color and a sweet kiss of chocolate, black truffle, forest floor, black raspberry and black currants. Opulent, but again structured and super-dense and pure, this is another massively concentrated wine meant for the long haul (and for our grandchildren). Give it 4-6 years of cellaring and drink it over the following 35-40 years. Remarkably, Pierre Seillan told me that 2014, while a drought year, was not actually that hot in the micro-terroirs he was working, but in terms of quality, it turned out to be the most surprisingly positive vintage he’s ever witnessed."
- Item #: i_270740Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Vinous Media: 96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "A blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot, the 2015 La Joie features a very deep purple-black color and almost electric nose of crushed blackcurrants, ripe black cherries and mulberries with sparks of raspberry pie, wild blueberries, unsmoked cigars, charcuterie and crushed stones. Medium to full-bodied and charged with the most amazing energy, the youthful, vibrant black-fruited palate is framed by very firm, very finely grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing with lingering crushed stones and earth layers. 4,000 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Verite's 2015 La Joie is deep, powerful and structured, with tons of Cabernet savoriness running through a core of intense, dark fruit. Grilled herbs, leather, menthol and licorice all develop in the glass. Sumptuous and yet also structured, La Joie is another winner from Verite. "