- Item #: i_215493Bottle Size: 375mlVinous Media: 90**Please note, this is a half sized bottleANTONIO GALLONI 90 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Estates is soft, pliant and open-knit, all qualities that make it a terrific choice for drinking now and over the next few years. The purity of the red- fruit and floral/savory aromatics is striking. Red plum, mocha, sage and cedar add layers of nuance. This is such a pretty wine."
- Item #: i_201500Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 91ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (Knights Valley) is very pretty. Bright, punchy and full of life, the 2016 has too much to offer. A rush of red berry fruit, flowers, savory herbs and crushed rocks runs through this super-expressive, delineated Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a gorgeous Knights Valley Cabernet. The mid-weight, energetic style is quite appealing."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "Similarly colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley is a bigger, richer wine loaded with notions of chocolatey dark fruits, notes of loamy earth and cedar, medium to full body, and a charming, delicious, mouthfilling style. It's another outstanding wine from this team that has loads to love."
- Item #: i_204350Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine was made with grapes grown with certified sustainable farming methods. Benziger's sustainable philosophy promotes natural vineyard management, restoration of the land and biodiversity on the estate. Benziger's Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon is very inviting with aromas of black olive and savory, dark fruit. Its well weighted structure and integrated tannins add a light chalkiness to the palate. Flavors of black currant, Bing cherry and juicy plum endure from start to finish, as hints of tea and cocoa help support the mid-palate.
- Item #: i_210600Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2016 Pinot Noir The Coast is drinking beautifully today and offers a complex bouquet of mint laced black cherries, clove, and cinnamon as well as some classic California conifer tree notes. Medium to full-bodied, with outstanding purity of fruit and great balance, drink it over the coming 7-8 years or so."
- Item #: i_210200Bottle Size: 750mlChalk Hill's Estate is a compendium of unique microclimates, exposures and soil types. They are fortunate to be able to make everything from aromatic Sauvignon Blanc to big, bold Syrah. Nowhere is this ideal situation more evident than in their Estate Red, which is just that - the best blend of the red wines made from the estate. Each variety is perfectly matched to the vineyard site. The blend will also vary from year to year, as the vineyard yields and fruit quality depend greatly on the weather during springtime bloom and set, and during harvest. Cabernet and Malbec were the stars in 2016, and form the base of this Estate Red. Grapes grown on the rocky slopes of their Estate West vineyard make up the balance of the blend. This year, the final blend is comprised of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot, and 7% Merlot.
Chalk Hill's 2016 Estate Red opens with bold and intense aromas of blackberry, anise, tobacco leaf and dark chocolate. The palate is rich and savory, with layered flavors of black cherry, dark chocolate and leather with oak influences of vanilla and toast. Though firm, the tannins are rounded by a balanced acidity and a long and smooth finish. Though appealing in its youth, this wine will also age beautifully over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_216826Bottle Size: 750MLRich and concentrated, this full-bodied wine displays alluring layers of boysenberry and cherry, along with hints of star anise and caramel. On the palate, ripe and juicy berry flavors are underscored by plush tannins that carry the wine to a long, silky finish.
Blend: 49% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 17% Zinfandel, 5% Petite Sirah, 2% Syrah
- Item #: i_218600Bottle Size: 750mlStraight out of the gate, this wine screams "Sonoma Coast" more than ever. Always the denser, more dramatic sister of our Small Town blend, Sascha's displays amazing purity this year. Conditions at harvest gave Eric Kent the classic ripe black fruit flavors and aromas Roberts Road Vineyard is known for, but with much more lively acidity than usual. In fact, the winery things this is some of the they've seen from this vineyard, and we're thrilled to share it!
A classic Sonoma Coast pinot nose of black raspberry and cherry and savory spice lead to a vibrant, shimmering core of the same on the palate.
- Item #: i_220590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90ROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS - "A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Malbec, Merlot and Cabernet Franc, the 2014 Tresor has a deep garnet color and nose of cassis, warm blackberries and mulberries with hints of cedar, menthol and cloves. Medium-bodied, there’s a good amount of expressive black currant and baking spice flavors in the mouth, with chewy tannins and an herbal lift on the finish."
- Item #: i_228560Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "The complex aromas of dried cherry, blackberry bramble, orange peel, cherry tobacco, cedar, sandalwood, cardamom, pink peppercorn and forest floor give a decidedly autumn impression. Amazingly silky across the palate with sweet red fruits on the mid-palate, plenty of fine textured tannins and a long toasty finish. This is one of the most elegant and approachable Hanzell Vineyards Pinot Noirs in recent memory."
- Item #: i_228430Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Lovely aromas of rose petal, sage and blood orange zest elevate the core juicy fruit of pomegranate, Bing cherry and guava. The flavors echo the aromas with the addition of cranberry, pink grapefruit and an elegant minerality. Balanced acidity and fine tannins along with red fruit and earth flavors unfold across the palate, ending with a long, mineral-driven finish."
- Item #: i_223830Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 96In 1980, screenwriter Robert Kamen purchased 280 acres of the southwestern slopes of the Mayacamas Range in Sonoma County. This mountainous property was rugged, overgrown, extremely rocky and very remote: virgin territory with no roads and no power. It was isolated, wild, beautiful and full of potential. Viticulturist Phil Coturri was brought into the project to develop and oversee the master plan. The vineyards are all biodynamically farmed. His vineyards are located in Sonoma Valley, on the backside of Mount Veeder, and year after year this is one of the finest Cabernets to come out of the area. 2016 was not only a great vintage in Napa; in fact, this shows that some of the Napa guys can still learn a thing or two from Sonoma!
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Kamen is one of the most stunning properties on Moon Mountain. Mark Herold makes wines of real distinction and class for owner Robert Mark Kamen. The Cabernets, which are the flagships, are pretty flamboyant and full-throttle when they are young, but I have seen them age remarkably well."
"The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon is fabulous. Rich, inky and spectacularly ripe, the 2017 is loaded with the character that makes this Moon Mountain property so special. A whole range of red and purplish fruit, spice, lavender, mint and licorice builds as this sumptuous, exotically beautiful Cabernet shows off its alluring personality. What I find most remarkable about the 2017 is how it is so full-bodied and explosive, yet not overly heavy. The 2017 is one of the best vintages - maybe the best - I have ever tasted here. It is a stunning wine. Wow."
- Item #: i_236250Bottle Size: 750MLRich and boldly flavored, this Sonoma Valley Cabernet offers an intriguing bouquet of vanilla, raspberry and caramel that wraps around a core of black cherry, cassis and raspberry flavors. Kunde's estate Cabernet's rich, chewy tannins play across the palate and linger on the wine's complex finish.
- Item #: i_240150Bottle Size: 750mlNever being the kind to just rest on their laurels, the Louis Martini winery keeps making top-notch wine for exceptionally reasonable prices. Not only has this been a previous Hi-Time "Wine of the Month", but it has also been rated at the top of the restaurants list of greatest wines for the price! Heck…even wine critic Robert Parker called a previous vintage of this wine, "one of the great values in Cabernet Sauvignon in the marketplace".
For more than 70 years, Martini family winemakers have walked the hillside vineyards of Napa and Sonoma counties, searching for the most distinctive flavors of the best Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Winemaker Michael Martini performs every aspect of winemaking by hand; no "wine factory" mentality, here! He blends small batches of mouth-filling wines (for this bottling, Alexander Valley and Dry Creek Valley) that can highlight the differences in the vineyards or balance their individual strengths in a marriage of flavor and structure.
The tannins make the young wine approachable but will still give it enough texture to age gracefully. This vintage had a long, calm growing season, helping create elevated and concentrated flavors that include wild berries, plum, licorice and mocha. The full-bodied and mouth-coating feel on the palate leads to a long, graceful finish with tones of intense fruit, dried herbs and cedar inside firm structure.
- Item #: i_253630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Mount Peak's "Sentinel" Cabernet Sauvignon is named for the shield-shaped block that pays a watchful eye to the entrance to Monte Rosso Vineyard. It's a muscular and intense wine with rich, deep tannins and mouthfilling, concentrated fruit. Aromas of ripe dark currants mingle with hints of brown sugar and sweet mint. Flavors of blackberry and cherry are woven through anise and toasted cedar, echoing in a long finish that is framed with notes of sweet cream. This wine has tremendous aging potential.
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The Mount Peak Winery is named after the original ghost winery that was on the Monte Rosso property, now owned by the Gallo family. The three wines I tasted are super-impressive, powerful, rich and concentrated."
"Lastly, 4,750 cases were made of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel, 83% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma and the rest from other Sonoma sources. It is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah aged in 53% new French oak. Again, ripeness is well-noted in the 15.7% alcohol, but there is not a bit of heat to the wine's overall character. A wine of considerable stature, gravitas, intensity and full-bodied power, it is muscular, backward and somewhat primordial, this wine needs a good 1-2 more years bottle age and should last for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_246110Bottle Size: 750mlHere’s a delightful Cabernet from a reliable winery at a very fair price! Murphy-Goode Estate Winery was founded in 1985 and produces excellent wines from grapes sourced from over 300 acres of vineyards in Sonoma’s Alexander Valley. This is a classic Alexander Valley Cabernet with seductive aromatics that feature blackberries, plums, sweet herbs, anise, dark chocolate, coffee and toasty oak. The complex aromas are mirrored on the palate with layers of flavors that include blackberries, cherries, currants, and baker’s chocolate. Aging in a combination of French and American oak has added vanilla and coffee nuances and supple texture. Crowd-pleasing Cabernet that tastes like a $20.00 bottle. Buy it by the case!
- Item #: i_242070Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Composed of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot, the 2017 Les Pavots comes from Knights Valley AVA. Deep garnet-purple in color, it leaps from the glass with vivacious notes of crushed black berries, Black Forest cake, blueberry compote and blackcurrant cordial with touches of camphor, lavender, tapenade and cigar box plus hints of mocha and pencil lead. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with muscular black fruits, framed by firm grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and savory. 2,050 cases were made."
- Item #: i_258220Bottle Size: 750MLAfter making powerful, age-worthy, and high-scoring wines at Beringer for several decades, Ed Sbragia decided to step back and focus on wines from his family's properties in Sonoma County. Anybody who has had the Reserve Cabs and Chard made by Ed can attest to the fact that his wines are full of personality, and given the price points of the Sbragia wines vis-à-vis the scores they earn, these wines offer tremendous values! This bottling comes from the family's property in Dry Creek Valley, perched on a hillside, giving the vineyard ample sunshine and well-drained soils for superior grape quality.
- Item #: i_258480Bottle Size: 750mlThis supple and generous Cabernet Sauvignon blend is crafted in the classic Bordeaux style that Walter Schug pioneered in the 1970's as winemaster of Joseph Phelps Vineyards. A ripe mouthful of currant and cherry flavors is framed by fine tannins and a touch of spicy oak. It has a classic bouquet bursting with berries, cassis and spice. Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot are blended in to add depth and elegance, further enhancing the bright berry flavors and lively acidity. Try this wine with hearty stews, wild mushrooms and grilled meats. Though ready to enjoy now, it will develop gracefully with 5 to 7 years of additional cellaring.
- Item #: i_264821Bottle Size: 750MLThis 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon is the culmination of its creators' journey - "From the Land of the Sun to the Valley of The Moon." Viticulturist Diego Smart was farming his own vineyard in Mendoza, Argentina - The Land of the Sun - when he met winemaker Lynda Hanson. Eventually he followed her to Sonoma’s Valley of the Moon and the couple started a family. Diego began working in some of Sonoma’s best vineyards as a vineyard manager and Lynda as a winemaker first at Wellington Vineyards in Glen Ellen, then at Hanzell vineyards in Sonoma. In 2010 they had the opportunity to combine their passion and expertise to create their own wine. The grapes for this wine come from a small organically farmed vineyard in Glen Ellen. Diego oversaw all the farming and hand harvesting while Lynda oversaw the details of winemaking and aging. Only 2 barrels were produced in this first vintage. This first release from Smart Cellars has a compellingly complex nose of mulberry, barrel toast and vanilla with a signature hint of dried herbs. In the mouth the wine explodes with berry fruit held in a supple, mouthfilling structure. Its deceptively smooth tannins make it delicious now but it promises to age for many years.
- Item #: i_276255Bottle Size: 750mlLimited in quantity at 200 cases, the winery offers 2018 Thread Feathers offers Rockpile AVA Cabernet Sauvignon at the ridiculous price of $50.00 a bottle, but we have this wine for half that price!
The Rockpile AVA is located in the northwest corner of Dry Creek Valley, encompassing nearly 15,000 acres, of which less than 160 are planted to vineyard. This makes Rockpile one of the smallest AVAs in the United States in terms of acreage planted. Approximately 2,500 of the acres of the Rockpile AVA overlap the Dry Creek Valley viticultural area to the Southeast. Vineyards range in elevation from 800' to nearly 2100'.
The 2018 Rockpile Cabernet Sauvignon has all the hallmarks of the Rockpile AVA, with blueberry, blackberry, currant, and exotic spice on the nose. On the pallet the wine is dark, rich and jammy with blueberry, strawberry compot, spice, cocoa bean, vanilla outlined in sweet American Oak.
- Item #: i_270700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+ROBERT PARKER 97+ POINTS - "This winery, one of the gems of the Kendall-Jackson portfolio of boutique wineries, debuted in 1998 and has been hitting on all cylinders since. I suspect top priority is given to Bordelais winemaker Pierre Seillan's choice of the finest fruit he can find from Jackson's holdings in Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill and Knights Valley."
"The 2014 La Joie has a spicy black purple color and a big, sweet kiss of camphor, black truffle, pen ink, blackcurrants and unsmoked cigar tobacco, followed by layers of fruit and glycerin in an opulent, beautifully savory, pure and multidimensional wine. The final blend Seillan produced in 2014 was 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. This is a compellingly great effort once again. It should be given 2-5 years of bottle age, then drunk over the following three decades."
- Item #: i_270980Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER 98 POINTS - "This winery, one of the gems of the Kendall-Jackson portfolio of boutique wineries, debuted in 1998 and has been hitting on all cylinders since. I suspect top priority is given to Bordelais winemaker Pierre Seillan's choice of the finest fruit he can find from Jackson's holdings in Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill and Knights Valley."
"The 2014 Le Desir (53% Cabernet Franc, 21% Merlot, 21% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Malbec) has an inky purple color and a sweet kiss of chocolate, black truffle, forest floor, black raspberry and black currants. Opulent, but again structured and super-dense and pure, this is another massively concentrated wine meant for the long haul (and for our grandchildren). Give it 4-6 years of cellaring and drink it over the following 35-40 years. Remarkably, Pierre Seillan told me that 2014, while a drought year, was not actually that hot in the micro-terroirs he was working, but in terms of quality, it turned out to be the most surprisingly positive vintage he’s ever witnessed."
- Item #: i_270740Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "A blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot, the 2015 La Joie features a very deep purple-black color and almost electric nose of crushed blackcurrants, ripe black cherries and mulberries with sparks of raspberry pie, wild blueberries, unsmoked cigars, charcuterie and crushed stones. Medium to full-bodied and charged with the most amazing energy, the youthful, vibrant black-fruited palate is framed by very firm, very finely grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing with lingering crushed stones and earth layers. 4,000 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Verite's 2015 La Joie is deep, powerful and structured, with tons of Cabernet savoriness running through a core of intense, dark fruit. Grilled herbs, leather, menthol and licorice all develop in the glass. Sumptuous and yet also structured, La Joie is another winner from Verite. "
- Item #: i_270810Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "Another perfect wine is the 2016 La Joie, which is 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, and 5% Petit Verdot sourced all from the estate vineyards in the Pocket Peak portion of the Alexander Valley. This full-bodied, powerful yet elegant Cabernet Sauvignon couldn't be better and has incredible purity, layers of creme de cassis, white flowers, tobacco leaf, and flowers, a deep, multi-dimensional texture, and loads of ultra-fine tannins. I'd confidently put this up against any Cabernet Sauvignon in the world. As with the La Muse, it has the balance, purity, and class to drink spectacularly well even today, but it's another wine that will benefit from a decade of cellaring and keep for 40-50 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 La Joie is a blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot. Very deep purple-black in color, it gives up the most gorgeous scents of lilacs, baking spices, incense and star anise with a core of warm cassis, Black Forest cake, redcurrant jelly and unsmoked cigars. Full-bodied and built like a brick house, it has a firm frame of very ripe, grainy tannins and bold, multilayered black fruit, finishing very long and very spicy. 3,200 cases produced."
- Item #: i_270800Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 Le Desir checks in as 82% Cabernet Franc, 12% Merlot, and 6% Malbec. Readers looking for world-class Cabernet Franc should beg, borrow, or steal to get hold of a bottle of this. Incredible floral, violet, forest floor, lead pencil, and cassis notes all flow to a medium to full-bodied red that's flawlessly balanced, has ultra-fine tannins, and a finish that won't quit. More intellectual and elegant than the La Joie, it's still a wine of incredible intensity and class that builds incrementally on the palate, has an exotic, singular character, and the class to evolve for 30 years or more."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "Composed of 82% Cabernet Franc, 12% Merlot and 6% Malbec, the very deep purple-black colored 2016 Le Desir is a little closed to begin, opening out to reveal absolutely stunning scents of potpourri, roses and orange peel over a core of crushed blackcurrants, black cherries and dark chocolate with touches of cinnamon stick and cloves plus a waft of forest floor. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is exquisitely delicate and refined, with super ripe, fine-grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing with epic persistence. 3,500 cases produced."