- Item #: i_206890Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "A resounding success for the year, the 2017 Cardinale is truly impressive. It is also one of the most refined young wines I have tasted here. In most vintages, Cardinale is predominantly made from mountain sites, but the 2017 is roughly equal parts mountain and valley floor fruit. Inky blue/purplish fruit, white flowers, lavender and mint all build in the glass. Lifted and beautifully perfumed, the 2017 is exceptionally polished."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "A blend of 96% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Merlot from throughout the valley that was brought up in 80% new French oak, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon is dominated by its Stags Leap fruit (which is 30% of the blend) and has the classic elegance and spicy character of that district as well as great red and blue fruits, a seamless, building mid-palate, ripe yet present tannins, and ample tobacco, earth, and spice aromas and flavors. It's plush and textured on the palate yet has the structure to evolve for two decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "There was no Wallis vineyard fruit used this vintage. Very deep purple-black colored, the 2017 Cardinale charges out of the glass with notes of fresh blackcurrants, blackberries and Black Forest cake plus hints of menthol, cardamom, baking spices and lilacs plus a waft of cigar box. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is built like a brick house with firm, grainy, ripe tannins and fantastic freshness supporting the taut, muscular black fruits, finishing long and mineral laced. 1,440 cases produced."
- Item #: i_245360Bottle Size: 750mlA single barrel bottling of 100% Cabernet Franc crafted by legendary winemaker Luc Morlet • Fruit comes exclusively from the renowned Oakville Bench in the heart of the Napa Valley • Natural fermentation occurred in a highly soughtafter Darnajou Puncheon French oak barrel • The strong personality of this 2014 amazes now and will gain incredible complexity for 35-plus years Wine Facts • Wine is unfiltered • Single vineyard wine • Sustainably produced
- Item #: i_248310Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 95+ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "A remarkable wine for the year, the 2017 Opus One is a dense, full-throttle beauty. Plush fruit and soft, silky contours give the 2017 its racy personality. Exotic, beautifully perfumed and impeccable in its balance, Opus One is one of the most complete wines of the vintage. In 2017, Opus One has a distinctly red-toned fruit profile that distinguishes it from the surrounding vintages."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Opus One had picked 91% of their fruit before the fires started in 2017, and only two lots were eliminated from consideration. The 2017 Opus One, bottled in July 2019, is a blend of 81% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8.5% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 4.5% Merlot and 1% Malbec. Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, it slowly grows on the nose, revealing compelling notes of baked black cherries, mulberries, black raspberries, warm cassis and blackberry pie with nuances of spice cake, yeast extract, tapenade, licorice and dusty soil with a waft of wild sage. Medium-bodied, the palate has a lively skip in its step, featuring bags of juicy raspberry and cassis-laced fruit and a refreshing line, supported by ripe, plush tannins, finishing long and graceful."
- Item #: i_248580Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94Ovid Vineyards is one of the true new "cult kids on the street". The vineyards are meticulously maintained by David Abreu, and the wines are made by Austin Peterson. Each year, from small lots of fruit grown in the red rocky soil of Ovid's vineyard on Pritchard Hill, Austin choose just the best barrels and blend them together to create the new vintage of OVID NAPA VALLEY. The vineyard’s evolution fascinates with each succeeding vintage, new dimensions of the wines are revealed. OVID is a blend of the four Bordeaux varietals grown on their property on Pritchard Hill: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot, varying in proportion from year to year but always eloquently conveying this special place.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Hexameter, Ovid's Cabernet Franc-based blend, is bright and focused, with tons of Franc character in its aromatic and flavor profiles and weight. Sweet red cherry, mint, white pepper, blood orange and flowers give the 2017 striking top notes and energy. Medium in body and finely cut, the Hexameter speaks with a very distinctive voice. The 2017 is super-precise, but it is also a touch light. It will be interesting to see if it fleshes out a bit more with aging. The 2017 is a wine of extreme and total finesse."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Hexameter checks in as 47% Cabernet Franc, 41% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 12% Merlot that was brought up in 60% new French oak. It has a terrific, spicy, complex style in its black raspberry and cassis fruits as well as notes of toasted bread, flowery incense, spice, and crushed flowers. Full-bodied, rich, and beautifully concentrated, it shows nicely integrated acidity, building tannins, and a great finish."
- Item #: i_248050Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Ovid is rich, ample and seductive. Layers of dark Cabernet fruit wrap around the palate in a fleshy, racy Pritchard Hill wine loaded with character. Black cherry, blueberry, lavender, mint, espresso and sweet spice build as this racy, sumptuous wine gains volume with air. The 2017 is powerful, but it also retains terrific energy while showing the more vibrant style favored at Ovid these days. I can't wait to see how it ages."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Deeper colored, the 2017 Proprietary Red Wine is based on 73% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Cabernet Franc, 3% Merlot, and the rest Petit Verdot that saw the same 60% new French oak for 21 months. It offers an incredibly classic, classy style as well as notes of black raspberries, cassis, jammy raspberries, toasted bread, dried flowers, and tobacco. Rich, full-bodied, concentrated, and structured, it's another elegant, seamless wine that's going to benefit from short-term cellaring and keep for 20-25 years or more."
- Item #: i_258310Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97+Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97-99 POINTS - "I loved the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyard LPV. This vineyard, which is just a stone's throw from Dr. Crane, has yielded an incredibly complex, full-bodied, exotic style as well as a kaleidoscope of blue fruits, spring flowers, bay leaf, and dried tobacco. Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon aging in 100% new Darnajou and Taransaud barrels, it has a surprising amount of structure hiding under its fruit and it's going to be a magical, long-lived wine."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95-97+ POINTS - "Schrader's 'LPV' comes from Beckstoffer's Las Piedras vineyard, produced from 337 clone grown on the C block. One hundred percent Cabernet Sauvignon, it is aging in 100% new oak. A very deep purple-black colored barrel sample, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyard Lpv delivers waves of blackcurrant pastilles, warm black plums and mulberries scents with touches of wet stones, bay leaves, espresso and fertile loam. Medium-bodied, the palate has a firm, grainy texture and background freshness supporting bags of complex, savory layers, finishing with great length and depth."
- Item #: i_258490Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-100Jeb Dunnuck: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97-100 POINTS - "Only the second vintage of this new Schrader label, this 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Monastery Block To Kalon Vineyard comes from clone 169 planted on the Monastery Block of the Robert Mondavi section of To Kalon vineyard in Oakville. One hundred percent Cabernet Sauvignon, it is aging in 100% new Darnajou oak barrels. A very deep purple-black colored barrel sample, the 2018 rolls effortlessly from the glass with fragrant Black Forest cake, blueberry pie and warm cassis notes plus touches of dried roses, black tea, pencil lead and underbrush with a waft of baking spices. Medium-bodied, the palate is super elegant and super intense with a firm, grainy texture and bold freshness, finishing long and layered. 316 cases are due to be made."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-98 POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon To Kalon Vineyard Monastery Block is going to be a solid step up over the 2017. Offering a classic To Kolan nose of cassis and blue fruits as well as loads of spice and flowery incense, this beauty is full-bodied, has a rounded, elegant texture, silky tannins, and a great, great finish. This cuvee has always lagged the other releases here, but that might be about to change with the 2018 vintage."
- Item #: i_258330Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-99ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97-99 POINTS - "Schrader's T6 comes from Beckstoffer's To Kalon vineyard in Oakville, produced from clone 6 grown on the D2 block. It is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon and is aging in 100% new oak. A very deep purple-black colored barrel sample, POW!, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon T6 Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard explodes with the most beautiful perfume of candied violets, chocolate-covered cherries, juniper and cardamom with a core of fresh blackcurrants and black raspberries plus a hint of pencil shavings. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has more power and weight than many other 2018s, still possessing bags of elegance and expression, finishing very long and very minerally. 753 cases are due to be made."
JEB DUNNUCK 96-98 POINTS - "Ratcheting up the quality level, 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard T6 boasts a dense purple color as well as a true "wow" bouquet of creme de cassis, liquid violets, white flowers, unsmoked tobacco, and graphite. Dense, concentrated and primordial at this early stage, it has a stacked mid-palate, lots of tannins (which are perfectly ripe), and good acidity. It's going to come together beautifully over the course of its elevage, demand short-term cellaring, and evolve for 20+ years or more."
- Item #: i_259740Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98+Vinous Media: 95+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98+ POINTS - "Very deep purple-black in color, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select comes bounding out of the glass with gregarious scents of creme de cassis, warm black cherries, plum preserves and Indian spices with hints of lilacs, garrigue, stewed tea and cigar box plus a waft of charcuterie. Full-bodied, rich, boldly fruited and wildly decadent, it has a rock-solid frame of grainy tannins and compelling freshness, finishing with loads of earthy and savory layers."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select is dense, powerful and exotically ripe, with copious chocolate, creme de cassis, new leather, smoke and licorice overtones. Unctuous and intense, the 2015 has turned out quite well. The richness of the tiny berries of 2015 comes through in the wine's fruit and tannin intensity. There is a real sense of gravitas to the 2015, although the somewhat larger-scale tannins will likely always be a part of the wine's DNA."
- Item #: i_270810Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "Another perfect wine is the 2016 La Joie, which is 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, and 5% Petit Verdot sourced all from the estate vineyards in the Pocket Peak portion of the Alexander Valley. This full-bodied, powerful yet elegant Cabernet Sauvignon couldn't be better and has incredible purity, layers of creme de cassis, white flowers, tobacco leaf, and flowers, a deep, multi-dimensional texture, and loads of ultra-fine tannins. I'd confidently put this up against any Cabernet Sauvignon in the world. As with the La Muse, it has the balance, purity, and class to drink spectacularly well even today, but it's another wine that will benefit from a decade of cellaring and keep for 40-50 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 La Joie is a blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot. Very deep purple-black in color, it gives up the most gorgeous scents of lilacs, baking spices, incense and star anise with a core of warm cassis, Black Forest cake, redcurrant jelly and unsmoked cigars. Full-bodied and built like a brick house, it has a firm frame of very ripe, grainy tannins and bold, multilayered black fruit, finishing very long and very spicy. 3,200 cases produced."
- Item #: i_270800Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 Le Desir checks in as 82% Cabernet Franc, 12% Merlot, and 6% Malbec. Readers looking for world-class Cabernet Franc should beg, borrow, or steal to get hold of a bottle of this. Incredible floral, violet, forest floor, lead pencil, and cassis notes all flow to a medium to full-bodied red that's flawlessly balanced, has ultra-fine tannins, and a finish that won't quit. More intellectual and elegant than the La Joie, it's still a wine of incredible intensity and class that builds incrementally on the palate, has an exotic, singular character, and the class to evolve for 30 years or more."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "Composed of 82% Cabernet Franc, 12% Merlot and 6% Malbec, the very deep purple-black colored 2016 Le Desir is a little closed to begin, opening out to reveal absolutely stunning scents of potpourri, roses and orange peel over a core of crushed blackcurrants, black cherries and dark chocolate with touches of cinnamon stick and cloves plus a waft of forest floor. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is exquisitely delicate and refined, with super ripe, fine-grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing with epic persistence. 3,500 cases produced."