- Item #: i_215492Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Arrowood Winery is pure Sonoma, located in the historic Sonoma Valley, a swath of land tucked between the Mayacamas Mountains and Napa to the east, and Sonoma Mountain to the west. When Richard and Alis Arrowood started the winery in 1986, Richard was already experienced and quite revered from his stints at Korbel and Chateau St. Jean. The Arrowood winery first came to prominence by way of the single-vineyard Chardonnays and Reserve Cabernets that were hoarded by most of the savvy collectors, and this was at a time where Napa Cabernets were quite popular, but this wasn’t the case in Sonoma. Richard’s methods made people take note of Sonoma Cabernets, and the region owes him quite a lot! The Arrowoods have since retired and sold the property, but the new owners and their winemaker (Kristina Werner) have every intention of keeping this property a world-class winery, and judging by this bottling, they haven’t missed a beat!
Kristina crafted this 2014 Réserve Spéciale from the finest vineyard sources in Sonoma County, and this represents their very best barrels, and the finest Cabernet Arrowood produces. The majority of the fruit came from the Sonoma Valley AVA, where low-yielding, rocky growing sites bring balance and elegance to this very complex wine. A small percentage of fruit from the Knights Valley AVA offer the wine a darker aromatic profile and fuller tannin profile. Aged for 24 months in predominantly new French oak barrels, the nose introduces you to the wine with seductive dark fruit and aromas of blackberry, fresh fig, licorice, and is rich in complexities. Fresh notes of Bing cherry and violet also surface as the wine breathes. Framed by a firm structure and silky elegance, the persisting texture defines what makes this wine the Reserve Speciale. The power behind this wine ingratiates itself to the entire palate—dark chocolate and nutmeg outline baking spices and plum. And a lingering finish will carry on long afterwards. The long barrel aging and year in bottle before release guarantee its readiness to drink. However, those that hold onto it will be rewarded, with an aging potential of 20+ years.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Speciale has a black forest cake and creme de cassis-scented nose with touches of charcoal, black soil, mocha and salami plus a hint of cigar box. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with black fruit and savory layers with beautifully ripe, fine-grained tannins and just enough freshness, finishing with great persistence. 1,103 cases produced."
- Item #: i_239500Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2014 Cava Maciel Alba is pure Cabernet Sauvignon with a complex nose of cassis, black pepper, caramel, tobacco, chocolate, spices, and toasted intense. On the voluptuous palate, it shows good balance and smooth, structured tannins with a round and luscious body. It is ideal for pairing with sharp cheeses like brie, prime cuts of meat like rib-eye or top sirloin, and mushrooms.
- Item #: i_211130Bottle Size: 750mlRian translates to "seasonal creek" in proprietor Dino's Genovese dialect. Grapes are sourced from two vineyard blocks split by a creek lined with olive trees. The vines are planted in a porous volcanic base with thin top soil, providing excellent drainage and therefore, very small, intense berries.
Only 133 cases of this wine were produced, and the 2017 Rian's deep dark plum color leans toward almost black. An edgier wine all around due to the vineyard block's slightly lower elevation and creek side location. Aromas of dark roasted coffee, cocoa, cinnamon stick and dark summer berries all lift out of the glass. Then touches of dry rose petal and lavender make smelling this wine almost as enjoyable as drinking the wine.
The palate's entry divulges caramel combined with vanilla and concentrated ripe strawberry and blackberry. Accents of maple syrup and dry grass enter later and the finish shows a bit more tannin that balances beautifully with the above mentioned components for a long luxuriant finish.
- Item #: i_223040Bottle Size: 750mlVinícola Emeve is the creation of Mexican businessman Mario Villarreal whose daughter Laura manages the winery. Villarreal dreamt of creating his own wine, something of beauty to offer to wine lovers all around Mexico. Enlisting the help of noted winemaker and enologist Reynaldo Rodriguez (an Ensenada native who received his formal training in Spain), Villarreal obtained cuttings from the University of California, Davis and in 2004 set about planting grapes.
- Item #: i_226700Bottle Size: 750mlFounded in 2005 by third-generation Napa farmer Tom Gamble, Gamble Family Vineyards farms approximately 175 acres of prime estate vineyards from several of Napa Valley's most respected AVAs – Oakville, Yountville, Mt. Veeder, and Rutherford. Set in an isolated nook off of Highway 29 in the heart of Napa Valley's Oakville District, the winery, open to guests by invitation, has a quiet and pastoral presence. Tom Gamble's mission is to carry on the heritage of quality farming that his ancestors sowed when they came to Napa as farmers and ranchers in 1916. A family farming for over 100 years does so only through constant reinvestment in the environment and the people that support it. Knowledge and abilities evolve over time. Constant improvement means always trying new things and keeping what works. His winery and vineyards are certified Napa Green and certified by Fish Friendly Farming.
For 2014, the final blend is comprised of 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Cabernet Franc, 28% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot, aged in French oak barrels, of which 46% were new.
- Item #: i_237020Bottle Size: 750MLJohn and Tracey Skupney's 214 Cabernet Franc (named after the specific clone used in the wine) is viewed as a 'Vin de Garde', or a wine to age, meaning that with proper cellaring the wine will display additional complexities and nuance.
This is the seventh vintage of Lang and Reed "Two-Fourteen" Cabernet Franc, which displays a brilliant crimson color with a typical, youthful violet-blue edge. The aroma distills white and red cherry with an ethereal "sous bois" (or forest floor) impression. On the palate, this wine possesses bright and pure Cabernet Franc flavors of firm black cherry, cassis and graphite, which are expansive and made mouthwatering by ample fresh fruit acidity. The finish is supported by solid, but not oppressive, tannins, which have flavor elements that provide memorable length. This is a fresh and exacting expression of Cabernet Franc, attributed to the 214 clone, that will serve well now or gain in complexity with additional bottle age.
- Item #: i_241330Bottle Size: 750ml"Old school", "classic" Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity wth an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_241380Bottle Size: 750ml'Old school', 'classic' Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity with an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_253630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Mount Peak's "Sentinel" Cabernet Sauvignon is named for the shield-shaped block that pays a watchful eye to the entrance to Monte Rosso Vineyard. It's a muscular and intense wine with rich, deep tannins and mouthfilling, concentrated fruit. Aromas of ripe dark currants mingle with hints of brown sugar and sweet mint. Flavors of blackberry and cherry are woven through anise and toasted cedar, echoing in a long finish that is framed with notes of sweet cream. This wine has tremendous aging potential.
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The Mount Peak Winery is named after the original ghost winery that was on the Monte Rosso property, now owned by the Gallo family. The three wines I tasted are super-impressive, powerful, rich and concentrated."
"Lastly, 4,750 cases were made of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel, 83% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma and the rest from other Sonoma sources. It is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah aged in 53% new French oak. Again, ripeness is well-noted in the 15.7% alcohol, but there is not a bit of heat to the wine's overall character. A wine of considerable stature, gravitas, intensity and full-bodied power, it is muscular, backward and somewhat primordial, this wine needs a good 1-2 more years bottle age and should last for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_257941Bottle Size: 750mlThe overwhelming red soils, granitic outcroppings and steep terrain coupled with outstanding climatic conditions define the mountain vineyards of Wild Horse Peak. At an altitude of over 2,200 feet, these vineyards wrestle with Mother Nature, enduring the circumstances of the environment and yielding a small concentrated crop that is unparalleded in the region. South Coast Winery strives to produce the very best wines from these vineyards and bring them to you.
- Item #: i_264420Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Dollarhide Estate Vineyard had a small part of the blend fermented in barrels and spent 19 months in 66% new French oak before being bottled. Its deep ruby/purple color is followed by a rich, concentrated, slightly reserved 2014 that has lots of blackcurrant, toasted spice, earth and espresso aromas and flavors. With medium to full-bodied richness, impressive mid-palate concentrated, ripe tannin, and outstanding length, it's an impressive 2014 that will last for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_290370Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Petite Sirah, 24% Merlot, 18% Petit Verdot, and 1% Malbec, this wine starts off with aromas of dried flowers, plum and spice, all leading to rich flavors of dark fruit, baked cherries, dusty chocolate and more. The intensity and luscious mouthfeel are balanced by integrated tannins and a deft touch of acidity. Together, those add a sense of freshness that lasts through the long, layered finish.