- Item #: i_249330Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 96While on our annual winter trip to the Napa Valley in 2013, we were invited to the "kick off" for a new winery named Pulido-Walker, and the first of their three single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignons. That wine was the single best wine we had on our entire trip!
Pulido-Walker is dedicated to the perfection of every element needed to craft exceptional single-vineyard designate Cabernet Sauvignon. Proprietors Mark Pulido and Donna Walker grew up in pharmacy families, and this early common experience is integral to the Pulido-Walker philosophy. Their scientific backgrounds make Mark and Donna precise, inquisitive, and detailed; they know that perseverance and attentive observation yield results worth waiting for. Few people have the commitment or the endurance—never mind the conviction of their principles—to completely reframe the experiment mid-stream.
Their winemaker is the highly sought-after Thomas Brown, who also crafts the high scoring and incredible wines at Schrader, Maybach, Outpost, and others. He has been in Napa since 1997, where he began his career at Turley Cellars and now makes wines for select premium labels. Over the last decade, Thomas has received not just one but eight 100-point Wine Advocate Parker scores to go along with two 100-point awards from Wine Spectator. Beyond generosity and roundness in tannins, his wines have few common traits and are very individual. Pulido~Walker's Cabernet Sauvignons promise to be among his most distinctive.
"What separates the best valley floor sites from good valley floor sites is their ability to drain," explains winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown. Panek Vineyard blankets a rocky, gently sloping knoll in the shadow of the Mayacamas Mountains along the old Napa River bed wash. The loamy soil, with its highly compacted alluvial deposits of gravel, provides optimal drainage. The valley basin is also more temperate than the hillsides surrounding St. Helena, making it ideal for slower ripening and full development of flavors. These elements coalesce in low yields of reliably superb fruit.
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Panek Vineyard comes from a site in St. Helena and offers a darker, savory style as well as plenty of blue fruits, violets, tobacco, and damp earth. With bright acidity, a silky, elegant texture, and terrific purity, it's a more vibrant, juicier, fresher wine than the Melanson Vineyard. Give bottle 2-4 years and drink over the following two decades."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Panek Vineyard is gorgeous. Bright red cherry, sweet tobacco, mint and rose petal notes give the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Panek Vineyard a level of brilliance that sets it apart from most other Cabernets being made off this site. Plush, elegant and sensual to its core, the 2016 is a winner from Pulido-Walker and winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown."
- Item #: i_247710Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+Vinous Media: 94The Le Pich label has become one of our best-selling Napa Valley Cabernets in the store! For the money, we feel it over delivers; and by the way you (our customers) buy it, it appears you agree with us! The Le Pich label is the more pocketbook-friendly Cabernet made by Purlieu Wines, but we recently got a hold of Purlieu's 2015 Cabernet (Le Pich's "big brother"), and it is an absolute knockout!!!
The Purlieu and Le Pich wines are made by Julien Fayard. Julien's name is just becoming recognizable with consumers, but he's been making world class Cabernet for well over a decade, and his name is well-known in Napa's inner circles. Julien has lived in the Napa Valley since 2006, when he and his wife agreed to settle down by "meeting halfway" - between his home in France… and hers in Sonoma. In France, Julien worked in both Provence and Bordeaux, where he defined his core winemaking style at the exalted first growth Château Lafite-Rothschild (he even lived in Lafite's grand château for a period) as well as at Smith Haut Lafitte. In Napa, Julien worked at Quintessa before joining Atelier Melka, where he spent five years as the Director of Winemaking. It was here, working with a variety of clients including Lail Vineyards, Gemstone, Dalla Valle, and more that Julien further developed his winemaking style - while also gaining an intimate understanding of the valley's vineyards and establishing strong relationships with its many passionate, quality-dedicated growers.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Missouri Hopper is a little youthfully mute to begin, slowly revealing evocative creme de cassis, blueberry pie, chocolate box and black tea notes with nuances of forest floor, wild sage and crushed rocks. Full-bodied and packed to the gills with black fruits and earthy layers, it has a firm, grainy frame and just enough freshness, finishing with epic persistence."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer-Missouri Hopper captures the best of Julien Fayard's style and this site, one of the best in Oakville. Savory herb, leather, smoke, licorice and tobacco add layers of perfume to this dark, hulking Cabernet Sauvignon. Powerful and structured, the 2016 needs time in bottle, but it is impressive, as all these 2016s are. Time in the glass brings out the purity of fruit, which is the signature of this great Napa Valley vintage."
- Item #: i_252850Bottle Size: 750mlWine maker - Our Claret follows the Bordelaise model of blending different Bordeaux varietals. Malolactic fermentation is completed in barrel, and the blend is assembled early so it is “elevated” as the finished wine. Our 2016 Claret rested on its lees twelve months in French & American oak barrels, only 13% new, with monthly bâtonnage to coat the tannins, producing a luscious, cushioned mouthfeel. This wine was lightly fined with egg whites and bottled without filtration in February 2018.This soft, easy-drinking Cabernet is a good introduction to the vintage, and while it will improve over the course of three to eight years, it is not a wine intended for long-term cellaring.
- Item #: i_256770Bottle Size: 750mlThe Louer Family Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon is filled with layers of juicy dark red fruit and dark chocolate with touches of toasty oak. Velvety tannins from 24 months of 100% New French Oak create a Cabernet Lovers.
- Item #: i_255170Bottle Size: 750MLCabernet Sauvignon was the first wine produced by Rombauer Vineyards when the winery was founded in 1980. Diamond Selection, first produced with the 1994 vintage, represents the best lots harvested each growing season. This reserve bottling comes from select vineyards in the St. Helena, Stags Leap District, Calistoga AVAs.
The grapes were carefully destemmed and optically sorted to ensure only perfect fruit made it into the tanks. A cold soak extracted color and flavor before primary fermentation. The wine was gently basket-pressed before being racked to French oak barrels for malolactic fermentation and aging. The finest lots were carefully chosen and blended to produce the Diamond Selection.
This elegantly balanced wine is deep and dark with a magenta hue. Aromas of blackberry, cassis and black cherry combine seamlessly with sweet notes of milk chocolate, vanilla and tobacco. The palate is ripe and soft, with pronounced black cherry and a hint of cocoa powder. Lush tannins and sweet, subtle oak build on the palate for a long finish.
- Item #: i_274650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Vinous Media: 96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "The 2016 Oakville Estate Proprietary Red Wine is blended of 91% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc and a 1% splash of Petit Verdot aged for 21 months in 78% new French oak. Deep garnet-purple colored, it opens with exuberant blackcurrant pastilles, wild blueberries and black cherries scents with touches of licorice, garrigue, tilled soil and cedar chest plus hints of tobacco and dried Provence herbs. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is built like a brick house with a solid, muscular black fruit core and firm, ripe, grainy tannins plus a wonderfully refreshing line, finishing with loads of energetic earth and herbal sparks. 630 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Oakville Estate Red is one of the very best wines I have ever tasted from Rudd. Layered, silky and exceptionally polished, the 2016 has so much to offer. Mocha, spice, menthol, plum, black cherry and gravel infuse this mid-weight, super-expressive, vibrant Oakville wine. Dollops of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot add aromatic intensity as the wine finds a more floral and red-toned aromatic upper register with time in the glass."
- Item #: i_259500Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 100Vinous Media: 100Jeb Dunnuck: 100ANTONIO GALLONI 100 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select is a wine of extraordinary beauty. The purity of the flavors is simply striking, but what really stands out is the wine's mind-blowing balance and total sense of harmony. An exotic melange of inky blue/purplish fruit, spice, new leather, lavender and licorice build as this sumptuous, dazzling Cabernet Sauvignon shows off its alluring personality. In a word: magnificent!"
JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "Pure perfection, the prodigious 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select reveals an even deeper purple/blue hue as well as extraordinary notes of unsmoked tobacco, crushed rocks, graphite, creme de cassis, and blueberries. With a massive, full-bodied profile and a texture that builds incrementally on the palate, it has a stacked mid-palate, ultra-fine (yet lots of them) tannins, flawless balance, and a monster of a finish. It's tight and closed at the moment, so hide bottles for a solid 7-8 years. It should age at a glacier pace."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "Very deep, vibrant purple-black colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select strides confidently out of the glass with expressive notions of blueberry preserves, Black Forest cake, cassis and cedar chest with touches of pencil lead, licorice, violets and sandalwood plus a an exotic waft of Indian spices. The rich, densely packed, full-bodied palate is at once thrillingly hedonic and perfectly poised, featuring a rock-solid frame of firm, exquisitely ripe tannins and tons of freshness, finishing epically long and with stunning opulence. Bravo!"
- Item #: i_254740Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "I continue to simply love the 2016s, which come close to rivaling the 2013s, albeit with a more elegant character. Another pure class release from this great estate, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is a Cabernet Sauvignon-dominated blend that includes small amounts of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, all aged 20 months in mostly new French oak. Its deep purple/plum color is followed by classic Rutherford notes of blackcurrants, cedar pencil, chocolaty herbs, licorice, and hints of truffle. It's beautifully balanced, full-bodied, and seamless on the palate, and while it's less overt and sexy than the 2015, it shows the class, balance, purity, and length that makes 2016 such a special vintage. It offers pleasure today and will offer pleasure in another 20-25 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate bursts out of the glass with beautiful black cherry compote, warm cassis and freshly crushed blackberries scents plus touches of chargrill, violets, dark chocolate and pencil shavings and a waft of English lavender. Full-bodied, the palate features great intensity combined with fantastic freshness, textured by soft, finely grained tannins and lifted by the most gorgeous floral perfume, finishing long and layered. Beautiful wine."
- Item #: i_265320Bottle Size: 750MLCabernet Sauvignon is synonymous with the Stags Leap District and has always been a mainstay in the winemaking program at Stags' Leap Winery. The Leap is sourced from select Cabernet Sauvignon blocks within the Stags' Leap Winery estate vineyard. This singular expanse of earth tucked up against the eastern palisades of Napa Valley features thin, rocky soils in its upper reaches, giving way to finer-grained loamy soils at its floor. The heat-reflecting palisades, with their towering rocky crags, provide consistent warmth over the estate and help balance the cooling breezes from the south. This pronounced micro-climate is remarkably well-suited to growing Cabernet Sauvignon grapes of distinction.
The Leap is a barrel selection, a blend of the best Cabernet Sauvignon blocks, lots and cooperages in a given vintage. Each lot was held separately in French oak barrels (50% new) for 20 months before Winemaker Christophe Paubert hand selected the most expressive of them to blend just prior to bottling. Keeping each block separate allows close monitoring of each individual lot through aging, maximizing the depth and potential of the estate vineyards.
- Item #: i_266215Bottle Size: 750mlThe Sterling Vineyards Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is a brooding, dark garnet-red color in the glass with big fruit aromas of blackberry jam, ripe plum and notes of cassis. The nose leads to a full-bodied, concentrated, richly textured palate with flavors of dried black cherry, warm caramel and a pleasing umami character. The wine is dense and offers striking fruit intensity balanced with good acidity and fine, well-integrated tannins. The wine is seamless and offers a lengthy finish that hints at its ability to age for at least the next 10 to 15 years.
- Item #: i_268960Bottle Size: 750mlProprietors Timm and Sharon Crull’s vineyards are in the Rutherford area of Napa Valley, a stone’s throw from such big names as Quintessa, Heitz, and Sloan, just to give you an idea of how great these vineyards are! While the majority of their Cabernet grapes go do such prestigious wineries as Nickel & Nickel and Frank Family, they do keep a bit for themselves, what what they make is gorgeous!!!
Terraces believes it is their responsibility to build on a 130 year farming legacy. As stewards of the land, their mission is to improve the habitat for native species each year, while reducing the impact of growing premium wine grapes. Awarded the Fish Friendly Farming certificate, they farm sustainably and work diligently to improve their environment each year. Their soils are well-drained, volcanic deposits, a rock formation called Rhyolite. Most of the vineyard blocks have a west exposure providing high radiant value. The warm summer days give way to cool nights with soft mountain breezes. The Terraces is comprised of 14 discreet vineyard blocks, each with different varieties, rootstock, terrain, aspect and microclimates.
The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon is the truest expression of The Terraces' Rutherford Estate vineyards. 100% Cabernet Sauvignon that's amazingly complex with ripe fruit, approachable alcohol, and supple tannin. Deep ruby color. Rich aromas of stewed blackberry, cassis, vanilla and toasty oak. Palate is full bodied with structured tannin and bright acidity. Flavors of cassis, blackberry, black cherry, and baking cocoa continue with a rich, long finish. Drink now or lay this bottle down to see it's true potential; 12-15+ years.
- Item #: i_270240Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard is a different beast, yet it ratchets up the quality with its sensational perfume of black raspberries, cassis, incense, fruit cake, and spring flowers. Tor started in To Kolan in 2005 and today they pull from their six favorite blocks, around 10 acres in total. It's full-bodied, has beautiful purity and elegant, the sexy style of the vineyard, and a great finish."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Bottled in July 2018, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon is deep garnet-purple colored, with warm cassis, Black Forest cake, black raspberries and earth with a floral and spicy undercurrent with scents of roses, cinnamon stick and cedar chest. The palate is full-bodied, lively and very vibrant, with firm, grainy, ripe tannins, finishing long and mineral laced. This is a very exciting wine—polished with bags of pedigree and complexity and still so very, very delicious! 600 cases produced."
- Item #: i_271010Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "A barrel sample (expected to be in barrel three years), the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is very deep purple-black in color and a little closed on the nose, giving glimpses at notes of blueberry compote, Black Forest cake and crème de cassis with a waft of camphor, pencil lead, cedar chest, black tea and underbrush plus hints of truffles and lavender. The palate is full, rich and super concentrated, with a firm frame of grainy tannins and great freshness, finishing long and mineral laced."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is even better. With gorgeous creme de cassis, white flowers, tobacco leaf, and graphite-laced aromatics, it's balanced, has ultra-fine tannins, and a great, great finish. This is a killer 2016 that builds with time in the glass, has serious class, and will keep for 20 years or more."
- Item #: i_271180Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+Vinous Media: 96Napa’s Spring Mountain District makes some of the most distinctive Cabernets in the Valley. The area receives a hefty amount of rain in the winter and spring, yet is exposed to ample warmth and sunshine during the growing season. Its elevation means vineyards are above the fog line, ensuring healthy grapes and its volcanic soils promote intense flavors and structured wines. Winemaker Martha McClellan is exceptionally talented, and she knows how to coax out the most from grapes, while nurturing loads of fine-grained tannins into the finished wine. She has several 100-point wines to her credit, and she is a perfect mix with Vineyard 7 & 8’s property!
This 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon experienced a cool and slow 50-60 day fermentation; twice the length of what most other vintners employ. This ensures that the grapes would give up all their flavors, aromas and textures, and adds nuance to the finished wine. The wine was aged in 100% new French oak, but the lengthy 26 months of aging keeps the oak nicely integrated with the wine. This full-bodied, rich, and powerful gem earned 97+ points from Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "One hundred percent Cabernet Sauvignon, the deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate sashays out of the glass with provocative Black Forest cake, warm blackcurrant, wild blueberries and black raspberry scents with an undercurrent of candied violets, menthol, pencil shavings and forest floor. The full-bodied palate is laden with fragrant black and blue fruits, framed by firm, finely-grained tannins and seamless freshness, finishing long and perfumed."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is every bit as fabulous as it was from barrel. Silky, perfumed and super-finessed, the 2016 is easily the best Cabernet I have tasted here. Winemaker Martha McClellan has really backed off of the extractions here, and it shows in a Cabernet with striking purity of fruit, silky tannins and no excess heaviness from oak. This sumptuous, inviting Cabernet will drink beautifully right out of the gate."