- Item #: i_211280Bottle Size: 750mlEach year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge honors an outcropping that always astonishes visitors to their estate Margarita Vineyard. Here, large white oyster fossils are literally spilling out of the ground, fostering the type of calcium-rich soil that is coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2016 vintage is a blend of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec, all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2016 Oyster Ridge offers a sumptuous bouquet of black berry and black currant with notes of creme de cassis, violets, vanilla bean, cedar and graphite. On the palate, the wine is exquisitely dense and integrated, showing chewy layers of black fruits interwoven with accents of caramel, mint, cinnamon spice and new oak. Fine-grained tannins and sleek acidity bring a resounding conclusion to what is nothing less than a blockbuster vintage for Oyster Ridge. This is a wine that will generously evolve in the bottle for years to come.
2016 Oyster Ridge
93 Points - Wine Enthusiast
93 Points - Tasting Panel
92 Points - Vinous
- Item #: i_208505Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) is absolutely delicious. Ripe, radiant and seductive, the 2015 is going to be nearly impossible to resist young. Even so, there is plenty of structural underpinning beneath all of the fruit. Sweet floral notes develop in the glass, adding lift, but above all else, the 2015 is a wine of textural voluptuousness, all in a silky, mid-weight style that is hugely appealing."
- Item #: i_210200Bottle Size: 750mlChalk Hill's Estate is a compendium of unique microclimates, exposures and soil types. They are fortunate to be able to make everything from aromatic Sauvignon Blanc to big, bold Syrah. Nowhere is this ideal situation more evident than in their Estate Red, which is just that - the best blend of the red wines made from the estate. Each variety is perfectly matched to the vineyard site. The blend will also vary from year to year, as the vineyard yields and fruit quality depend greatly on the weather during springtime bloom and set, and during harvest. Cabernet and Malbec were the stars in 2016, and form the base of this Estate Red. Grapes grown on the rocky slopes of their Estate West vineyard make up the balance of the blend. This year, the final blend is comprised of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot, and 7% Merlot.
Chalk Hill's 2016 Estate Red opens with bold and intense aromas of blackberry, anise, tobacco leaf and dark chocolate. The palate is rich and savory, with layered flavors of black cherry, dark chocolate and leather with oak influences of vanilla and toast. Though firm, the tannins are rounded by a balanced acidity and a long and smooth finish. Though appealing in its youth, this wine will also age beautifully over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_210410Bottle Size: 750MLThe dry, rocky soils of Pritchard Hill produce small, intensely flavorful grapes. Crop-thinning allows for full, even ripening and further elevates flavor complexity. A blend of 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 8% Malbec, and 7% Petit Verdot, the Signature Cabernet Sauvignon has been Chappellet's flagship wine for more than three decades. It is a benchmark for the long-lived hillside wines of the Napa Valley. It is full of structure and aging potential, yet seductively forward in its concentrated varietal character.
- Item #: i_213940Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 91Paul Hobbs is a juggernaut in the wine world. It doesn't seem to matter where he makes wine, or with what grape; anything he makes is simply fantastic! Paul's Crossbarn lineup of wines is the second label to his eponymous Paul Hobbs wines from Napa and Sonoma, yet it comes close to its "bigger brother"! Produced using hand-harvested fruit from carefully selected vineyards in prime areas in the Napa Valley, CrossBarn Cabernet Sauvignon offers structure and weight in balance with pure concentrated fruit.
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Crossbarn comes from the superstar winemaker Paul Hobbs and is a solid value in 2017 Napa Valley Cabernet. Upfront violets, plums, exotic spices, and orange blossom notes all emerge from this expressive, medium to full-bodied, plush effort that has lots of charm. It has the vintage's slightly firm tannins yet should keep nicely for 7-8 years, if not longer."
- Item #: i_241510Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93Do you want to get a real glimpse into the characteristics and style of the 2017 vintage in Washington, then you don't need to look any further. Delille has been somewhat under the radar, but if the quality in this Merlot blend doesn't open your eyes, we don't know what will! "D2" is the main highway that runs through Bordeaux, so being that this is a Merlot-based blend (just like the right bank of Bordeaux), the name is apt. This year, the wine is a blend of 66% Merlot, 29% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Petit Verdot .
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - ""Opens with supple and expressive red currant, green olive and clove flavors, then shifts gears and takes on increasingly muscular yet polished tannins on the long finish. Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Drink now through 2028.""
- Item #: i_216140Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Napanook checks in 89% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Cabernet Franc, and the rest Petit Verdot. It offers classy notes of cassis, black currants, toasted spices, and hints of flowers. With lots of chocolately richness, medium to full body, and beautifully ripe tannins, it's layered and has impressive depth of fruit, followed by a great finish. It's going to evolve for 15-20 years. It's an incredible value in classic, impeccably made Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Napanook is forward, lush and quite giving - in other words, very much in keeping with the style of the year. Silky and radiant, with plenty of bright, red-toned fruit, the 2017 Napanook is one of the very finest Napa Valley Cabernets readers will find in this price range. Savory, earthy and licorice undertones add striking shades of nuance, with silky tannins that extend the finish effortlessly. This is such a gorgeous and inviting wine. When just opened, the 2017 mostly offers density and opulence, but a few hours of air brings out layers of subtlety and aromatic nuance."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "There was about 40% of a normal crop this year due to strict selection. Grapes were harvested from September 21 to October 3 and the wine was bottled in May 2019. The 2017 Napanook is made up of 89% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot and was aged in 20% new French oak barrels. Deep purple-black in color, it springs from the glass with vivacious notions of warm black cherries, blackberry compote and crushed black currants with touches of dark chocolate, licorice, fertile loam, underbrush, camphor and cinnamon stick plus a waft of lilacs. Full-bodied with a firm level of grainy tannins and seamless freshness supporting the bold, spicy black fruit layers, it finishes on a lingering perfumed note. With further time, it begins to reveal the mineral signature of the estate, delivering a glimpse at the gravitas to come with 5-7 years in the cellar. 1,400 cases were made."
- Item #: i_219670Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2017 Faust Cabernet is a blend of their estate vineyards in Coombsville and Rutherford and mountain sourcing in Atlas Peak, Mount Veeder and Howell Mountain. Intense yet fresh with juicy blue and black notes. Notes of dark chocolate and dried herbs seduce the palate while silky tannins and lifting acidity leads to a layered and lingering finish.
- Item #: i_276347Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93The vineyards of Calistoga, located in the northern Napa Valley, are prized for helping to produce wine grapes of extraordinary flavors, complexity and quality. Frank Family Vineyards are located in this region on the original site of the historic Larkmead Winery and owned by wine legend Hans Kornell. Rich Frank and his family farm this piece of land with great fervor, and with the help of their winemaker Todd Graff, the wines from Frank Family Vineyards have become a "go to" at several of the top restaurants, hotels and retailers.
Now why is that? It's easy; Frank Family produces wine that they like to drink and they don’t charge the proverbial arm-and-a-leg like some others tend to do. What you get here exceeds what you pay! In addition to their Calistoga site, they have acquired a few other vineyards in other Napa Valley regions (such as Rutherford and Carneros) that they farm with the same intensity as their Calistoga vineyard.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Containing a 2% splash of Petit Verdot, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Rutherford is very deep garnet-purple colored and opens with tar, black soil and truffles notes with a core of crème de cassis, stewed plums and baked cherries plus wafts of smoked meats and sauteed herbs. The palate is medium to full-bodied with good intensity and depth in the mouth, featuring very fine-grained tannins and a lively finish."
- Item #: i_229030Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Galerie is a collection of wines devoted to showcasing two of California's foremost wine growing regions - Napa Valley and Knights Valley. Winemaker Laura Diaz Munoz brings these growing regions to life by vinifying the wines in exactly the same way, allowing the natural difference in the fruit characteristics to express themselves in the glass.
For the Napa Valley, bottling, Laura blended fruit from some of the most prestigious vineyards in the valley; Stagecoach vineyard, Red Hen, Van Z, Diamond Mountain, and Spring Mountain. The wine was aged for 20 months in 60% new French oak.
ROBERT PARKER 92 POINTS - "Very deep garnet-purple in color, the 2015 Pleinair Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon delivers pronounced baked berries, prunes and warm black currant cordial notes with touches of baking spices, olives and dried herbs. Medium to full-bodied, it has concentrated baked black berry and savory layers with soft, velvety tannins and balanced freshness, finishing on a spicy note. 1,540 cases produced."
- Item #: i_231130Bottle Size: 750mlKathryn and Craig Hall are well on their way to creating one of the top wineries in the Napa Valley. Their commitment to acquire the best vineyards is aided by Director of Vineyards Don Munk, who oversees HALL's 500 acres of classic Bordeaux varietals so that only the best is brought to the winery. Couple the resulting grapes with talented and nurturing winemakers like Steve Leveque and Megan Gunderson, and you have the foundation for success! Prior releases of their single-vineyard Cabernets have garnered lofty praise from Wine Spectator, and now their vineyard-blended Cabernet is quickly catching up!
- Item #: i_250780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93Jeb Dunnuck: 91ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "Composed of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 1% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon reveals vivacious notions of crushed black currants, red currant jelly, fresh blackberries and Morello cherries with touches of garrigue, bay leaves, damp soil and cedar chest. Medium-bodied, the palate is wonderfully elegant and charged with energy, featured loads of crunchy black and red fruit plus a refreshing backbone, finishing on an appealing chewy note."
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley is similarly colored and has terrific notes of creme de cassis, ground herbs, earth, and tobacco. It's fresh, medium-bodied, has good concentration, beautiful balance, and fine tannins."
- Item #: i_237150Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Blueprint Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 is deep ruby with purple edges in color, with exotic aromas of ripe red plum, bittersweet chocolate, black cherry and loganberry. Spicy flavors of ollalieberry, blackberry, and boysenberry add further intrigue and complexity. Its texture is round, lush, creamy, and perfectly balanced."
- Item #: i_240110Bottle Size: 750mlThe Louis Martini winery has been crafting world-class Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa and Sonoma's finest vineyards since 1933. Founder Louis M. Martini started with this simple premise: the best grapes make the best wines. Today, this tradition carries on at their historic winery in the Napa Valley with a range of unforgettable Cabernet Sauvignon wines.
The Louis M. Martini winery is one of the original five Napa wineries founded in 1933 after Prohibition. In keeping with Louis' tradition of innovation, they pioneered the use of temperature controlled fermentation, the use of wind machines to combat frost damage, as well as studying clonal selections on specific terroirs. All of which have become industry standards.
Since then, the Louis Martini winery has gone from one level of greatness to the next. Robert M. Parker, Jr. tweeted that Martini's Sonoma Cabernet is among the best Cabernets in the world among its peers, their Lot 1 Cabernet Sauvignon has earned the perfect 100-point score, and now, their Napa Valley bottling has been one of the biggest hits in our store for the dollar!
- Item #: i_253630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Mount Peak's "Sentinel" Cabernet Sauvignon is named for the shield-shaped block that pays a watchful eye to the entrance to Monte Rosso Vineyard. It's a muscular and intense wine with rich, deep tannins and mouthfilling, concentrated fruit. Aromas of ripe dark currants mingle with hints of brown sugar and sweet mint. Flavors of blackberry and cherry are woven through anise and toasted cedar, echoing in a long finish that is framed with notes of sweet cream. This wine has tremendous aging potential.
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The Mount Peak Winery is named after the original ghost winery that was on the Monte Rosso property, now owned by the Gallo family. The three wines I tasted are super-impressive, powerful, rich and concentrated."
"Lastly, 4,750 cases were made of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel, 83% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma and the rest from other Sonoma sources. It is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah aged in 53% new French oak. Again, ripeness is well-noted in the 15.7% alcohol, but there is not a bit of heat to the wine's overall character. A wine of considerable stature, gravitas, intensity and full-bodied power, it is muscular, backward and somewhat primordial, this wine needs a good 1-2 more years bottle age and should last for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_249140Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Located in the northern stretch of the Mt. Veeder appellation, Paon Vineyard is directly west of Mt. St. John's highest elevation. The vineyard elevation ranges from 900 to 1200 feet, and has a south/southeast exposure. The diverse soil composition varies between weathered sandstone and shale, resulting in porous well-drained soils, low yields and moderate vigor. Five acres of Cabernet Sauvignon, combines with the unique microclimate, topography, and astute farming of the Paon Vineyard site result in a classic wine of depth, nuance, and pedigree.
Josh Clark and the Clark Vineyard Management team are hillside specialists. Since 1998, Josh has employed his comprehensive and mindful approach to vineyard farming. Integrated pest management, establishing proper canopy and fruit load, suitable clonal and rootstock selections, and meticulous cover crop care define his sustainable practices. Frederic Delivert is a vineyard-first California winemaker from Albi, near Toulouse. His French roots and Masters' Degree in Agriculture from Ecole Superieure d'agriculture de Purpan combine with small, family owned vineyards in the Napa Valley to produce classic renditions of Napa Valley's most prized varietal. Frederic strikes a deft balance between old and new world styles, and his focus on soil health and vine balance create complete wines of elegance, character, and finesse. Frederic's prior experience and clients include Newton, Far Niente, Duckhorn, Plumpjack, Cade, Martin Estate, Clark Claudon, Tamber Bey, and Tuck Beckstoffer Wines.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Composed of 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, the very deep purple-black colored 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon features crushed black cherries, black berries and earth with menthol, dark chocolate and meat. The palate is full, firm, grainy and vibrant with great intensity and loads of layers on the long, mineral-laced finish."
- Item #: i_251390Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97Founded in 2003 by Washington State wine visionary Allen Shoup, the mindset behind the Long Shadows winery is quite simple; obtain the best grapes and get them into the hands of the best winemakers. However, easier said than done. Each of the Long Shadows wines have a different label, a different name, and a different winemaker. To make the best Merlot in Washington State, Allen Shoup employed the master of Merlot (Michel Rolland) and developed the Pedestal label. To get the best Cabernet Sauvignon, he brought on Randy Dunn and created the Feather Cabernet. And to make the best Washington State equal to Opus One or Joseph Phelps Insignia, he got Philippe Melka to create Pirouette, a Cabernet Sauvignon-driven blend!
Philippe Melka is a master of Cabernet Sauvignon and blends, and has crafted several wines that have earned 100 points from Robert Parker's Wine Advocate. He has been trained and influenced by some of the most notable personalities in the wine world, including Jean Delmas and Jean Philippe Masclef from Haut-Brion, Christian Moueix and Jean Claude Berrouet from Petrus, Paul Draper from Ridge, Daniel Baron from Silver Oak. For Pirouette, a variety of fermentation methods were used to enhance complexity and richness in this classic Bordeaux blend. Hand-harvested Cabernet was fermented in 400L French oak barrels that were gently rolled throughout fermentation to integrate the oak with refined, dark fruit flavors and give the wine its silky mouthfeel. All other varieties were fermented in traditional stainless steel tanks, with select lots enjoying longer skin contact to enhance the wine's dark color and mid-palate. The finished wine was aged 22 months in French oak barrels (75% new) before bottling unfiltered and unfined.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The talented Gilles Nicault continues to manage this estate and all its different cuvées brilliantly. The key factor to understand with these wines is that each is made with consulting advice from a different winemaker. Hence, the style of each is unique, yet the quality is top notch."
"The 2016 Pirouette is made by Philippe Melka and it's a total blockbuster based on 68% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, and the palate Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc, and Malbec that was fermented in barrel and aged 22 months in 75% new oak. Creme de cassis, blackberries, toasted spices, cedar, and forest floor notes all emerge from this deep, rich, opulent red that has sweet tannins, a thrilling texture, no hard edges, and a monster finish. This is another best-to-date from this estate and it's an awesome wine."
- Item #: i_253050Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 92About 20 years ago, David Ramey was part of a select group of winemakers who became tired of "laboratory" or "squeaky clean" wines devoid of character. He wanted to bring terroir back into wines from California, and his success was the benefit of the consumer! David Ramey became known throughout the wine world as a winemaker associated with stellar quality, and he brought his expertise to brands such as Chalk Hill, Matanzas Creek, Dominus Estate, Rudd Estate, as well as his own brand. While the Ramey Chardonnays have been on the "center stage" for a few years, this release shows that his Cabernets can hang with some of the best in the Napa Valley...and at a MUCH lower price than others that sell for exponentially more!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend of 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot, 7% Malbec and 3% Petit Verdot. Medium to deep ruby, it has an incredible nose of licorice, dried flowers and mint chocolate over black berries and black cherries, cedar shavings and pencil lead, plus spicy clove and star anise touches. Medium to full-bodied, it floods the mouth with plush flavor layers wrapped in chocolate-textured, pixelated tannins and great freshness to counter, finishing long and luscious. 7,177 cases produced."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon comes from a hot, sunny vintage yet has a pure, classy character. Notes of creme de cassis, tobacco, leafy herbs, and spring flowers are just some of the aromatics and it's medium-bodied, elegant, and incredibly polished on the palate. It's another wine from Ramey that's nicely balanced, with terrific purity and loads of class."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "David Ramey's 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) is racy and inviting, with all of its natural exuberance on display. Another year in bottle has really helped the 2015 come together. Pretty red fruit and floral notes add a kick of brightness to balance the natural exuberance of the growing season."
- Item #: i_216945Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon has also been blended with 8% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. It has a nose of healthy red and black fruit along with the dusty Red Mountain minerality. Medium to full-bodied, the palate reveals a well-made wine with precision and balance and evolving expressions of red flowers, dusty minerality and balancing tannins on the long, well-structured finish. The overall production was 20,000 cases."
- Item #: i_256770Bottle Size: 750mlThe Louer Family Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon is filled with layers of juicy dark red fruit and dark chocolate with touches of toasty oak. Velvety tannins from 24 months of 100% New French Oak create a Cabernet Lovers.
- Item #: i_266520Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Lisa Valtenbergs turned out a superb set of wines at Stonestreet. The Chardonnays are outstanding, but this year, I was especially impressed with the Cabernets, which seem less pushed than in the past. Perhaps that is a reflection of the very high quality of the 2016 vintage, or maybe there is a slight move towards a more nuanced style. Time will tell. Either way, the 2016 Cabernets are fabulous, and also some of the very finest wines I have tasted here."
"The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is a gorgeous entry-level wine in this range from Stonestreet. A whole range of floral and savory notes give the Estate aromatic nuance to play off a core of vibrant red fruit. Medium in body and impeccably polished, the 2016 is flat-out delicious, even in the early going. "
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate (100% Cabernet Sauvignon aged 19 months in 37% new French oak) offers impressive notes of tobacco leaf, damp earth, cedar, and blackcurrants. It's look-alike for a top Bordeaux, has nicely integrated acidity, plenty of tannins, and is going to keep for over a decade."