- Item #: i_200035Bottle Size: 750mlROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Shea is made from hand-destemmed grapes fermented in a 500-liter terra cotta amphora. Medium ruby-purple in color, it opens slowly on the nose to wild red and black berries with broody touches of earth, tar and aniseed. The medium-bodied palate offers intense, seamlessly framed earth-laced fruits, and it finishes long and nuanced. There's more to come but this is youthfully shy, so give it another couple years bottle. 137 cases were made."
- Item #: i_200740Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Aromas of plums, strawberries and hints of toasted oak and smoke. Medium to full body, creamy tannins and an attractive, bitter, smoky finish. Some citrus, too. Drink now. Screw cap."
- Item #: i_201100Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92This appellation is widely described as "sprawling" as it encompasses half or more of the county. Anthill Farms' fruit comes from two of the coolest, most coastal parts of this appellation: the low coast, west of Sebastopol on the edge of the Petaluma Gap; and the high coast, the first or second ridge inland from the ocean farther to the north. These sites are united by the direct influence of the Pacific's cool, marine air, delaying ripening well into October.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast) is a pretty big, dark wine relative to prior editions. Dark cherry, plum, lavender, sage, spice and menthol shape this brooding appellation-level Pinot from Anthill Farms. Readers will find an especially potent, virile Pinot with tons of character."
- Item #: i_200410Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 91WINERY NOTES - The 2018 Dundee Hills is opulent and teeming with balance. Wild berries and fresh roasted coffee on the nose lead to complex stone fruit flavors and the peppery nuance associated with whole-cluster fermentation. A master juggler, the '18 Dundee Hills handles tannin, new oak, and minerality with remarkable finesse. Driven by quintessential Red Hills locales and flavors, the wine is a culmination of our 25-year legacy-an opus to our special surroundings.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "This cuvée is the first to be released from each new vintage, and the most widely available. The 2018 marks the debut (from harvest to bottling) of winemaker Ian Burch, and it’s a promising one. Full bodied and open, this mixes ripe red and purple fruits, especially plums and cherries, with a touch of lightly minty chocolate. Delicious and ready for near-term enjoyment."
- Item #: i_201710Bottle Size: 750MLArgyle Pinot Noir highlights the elegance and complexity of the Willamette Valley, showcasing the purity of fruit and supple texture the region has to offer. Fermented entirely in small, 1.5 ton lots and plunged by hand, the 2018 vintage leans dark cherry, red raspberry, and orange zest. Fresh, vibrant acidity is framed with polished tannin along with classic Argyle silky texture and persistent length.
- Item #: i_274969Bottle Size: 750MLGreat value! A particularly wonderful vintage of this wine. Aromas and flavors of strawberries and raspberries are joined by anise and clove notes with mouth filling intensity.
- Item #: i_202990Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - " Light in the glass, this bottling offers loads of heady sage, wild thyme and dried flower aromas, with dried cherry and subtle beef-jerky tones in the backdrop. The taut structure delivers brisk cherry and muddled red-plum flavors as well as wood spice and a pinch of herbs."
- Item #: i_202540Bottle Size: 750mlJack Niven pioneered winegrape planting with Paragon Vineyard in the Edna Valley in 1973. Not the bystander type, his wife Catharine soon after began a project that grew into what is now Baileyana Winery. In the mid 1990s, their two sons, James and John, purchased property next door, and expanded Paragon Vineyard. They designed and planted these new blocks with select clones, varieties and rootstocks specific to the site. They named this section Firepeak, in homage of the extinct volcanoes in the area, and the resulting volcanic soils.
Aromas of bright cherry, blackberry, rose petal and hints of spice burst from the glass of this bright and nicely balanced Pinot Noir. Flavors of dark fruit, blueberry, mocha and cola flavors along with soft supple tannins create a beautiful finish.
- Item #: i_207300Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine combines full and captivating aromatics with a delicate texture that defines the Balletto style of Pinot Noir. The wine itself is full of contradictory forces: it's weighty with a luscious mid-palate, but also surrounded by notable tannins and acidity that keep it focused, balanced and taut. It has plenty of dark fruit, but it's also layered with savory earth and spices that offset it.
- Item #: i_202630Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95If you have ever thought about venturing into Oregon Pinot Noirs, now is your time! And if you are an Oregon Pinot Noir zealot, now is your time! 2015 is going down in the record books as one of the best vintages in the history of the state, with warm weather throughout most of the growing season, and the sun shining bright during harvest. The wines are forward, inviting, complex, and nuanced. Located in the Ribbon Ridge sub-region of the Willamette Valley, Beaux Freres is planted on steep, contiguous southward facing hillsides of Willakenzie soils, comprised of old marine sediment. With a focus on biodynamic farming, the vines are planted at high density and some vines on the property are 30 years old, with several being own rooted!
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95 POINTS - "Brilliant ruby. Intense red and blue fruit, floral and spice qualities on the highly perfumed nose, along with hints of cola and licorice. Juicy and precise, offering concentrated raspberry, boysenberry and floral pastille flavors that take on a five-spice-powder nuance with air. Plays power off delicacy with a sure hand and finishes extremely long and silky, with polished tannins framing lingering red fruit and candied rose notes. 45% new oak."
- Item #: i_275444Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Wine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR #37 WINE OF 2020!
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Dynamic yet harmonious, with expressive raspberry and rose petal aromas, accented by flavors of orange peel and dusky spice. Builds richness toward polished tannins. Drink now through 2028."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Medium ruby-purple, the 2018 Pinot Noir Cumberland Reserve takes its time to unfold to notes of earth, tar and blue and black berries on the nose. The palate is medium-bodied, firm and seamlessly fresh with intense dark fruits and a peppery finish. It's youthfully coiled and will have more to show with another couple years in bottle."
- Item #: i_202640Bottle Size: 750mlFor Pinot Noir, the cream really does rise to the top. Pinot Noir is such a transparent grape that any faults or follies in the growing and winemaking process are amplified in the finished wine. Therefore, when we find a Pinot Noir that shines above the rest, and at the same time doesn't break the bank, we wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't let you know about it. And let us say, we've done our homework on this one to bring you a fantastic buy!
Bishop's Peak wines are handcrafted by Talley Vineyards to capture the varietal and regional diversity of San Luis Obispo County. The grapes for the wines come from small vineyard sites in Arroyo Grande Valley, Edna Valley, and Paso Robles. Some of these sites are owned by the Talley family while others are owned by growers who share the family's commitment to quality. This wine shows many of the similar qualities, nuances, and complexities of Pinot Noirs that sell for more than $25 a bottle, but seeing at this sells under $15 a bottle, this is one heck of a bargain!
- Item #: i_202610Bottle Size: 750mlThe Russian River Valley is recognized as one of the world's most ideal regions for growing Pinot Noir. Just a few miles from the Pacific ocean, the Russian River Valley benefits from natural air conditioning in the form of cool and often foggy air that arrives in the evening, then retreats the following morning. The result is a longer growing season which allows Pinot Noir to develop full flavors while retaining its natural acidity. The unique soils of the region also contribute exponentially to the quality of the wine grapes grown in them. Over millions of years water flowing off the mountains has carried with it eroded volcanic deposits and ancient, uplifted bedrock, while the Russian River has deposited large amounts of alluvial material to form prime benchlands.
This wine has a ruby-red color with sparkling garnet highlights, followed by aromatics of wild blackberry, Santa Rosa plum and strawberry with hints of oregano, sage and white pepper. Ripe on the palate with raspberry, boysenberry, black-fruit jam and warming spices, this finishes with moderate acidity and velvety tannins.
- Item #: i_207480Bottle Size: 750mlCakebread Cellars 2018 Two Creeks Pinot Noir is blend of several French Dijon clones and the famed Joseph Swan and Pommard clones. The grapes were night-harvested for freshness between September 20th and October 1st with an ideal balance of sugar and acidity. With the Dijon clones supplying bright fruit and acidity, the small-berried Swan clone providing intense varietal flavors, and the Pommard clone contributing mid-palate weight and a warm spice tone, Two Creeks is a fruit-forward, yet complex pinot noir showcasing the best of Anderson Valley.
The 2018 Cakebread Cellars Two Creeks Pinot Noir boasts fragrant red and black cherry, red raspberry, strawberry and rose petal aromas. It has a smooth, mouth-coating texture, velvety tannins and delightfully silky red raspberry, cherry and strawberry flavors that take on a spicy tone in the long, juicy finish. Delicious now, it will age well in bottle for at least five years.
- Item #: i_234270Bottle Size: 750MLJulia's Vineyard, named for Julia Jackson in 1988, consists of ancient soils with fossilized seashells, shale, limestone and sand, with fog-swept vines that have endured since the 1970s. This unique piece of land thrives in the cool, maritime influences that funnel in from the Pacific Ocean, allowing for the longest growing season in the state.
Red fruit characters of cranberry, cherry, pomegranate; a balance of earth and baking spices; elegant tannins and a savory finish.
- Item #: i_274810Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 92Sean Capiaux launched his eponymous label in 1994 and he presently works as winemaker for O'Shaughnessy in the Howell Mountain appellation of Napa Valley. He has established a notable career that includes prominent wineries such as Jordan, Pine Ridge and Peter Michael. He specializes in small lots of vineyard designated Pinot Noir that express the unique location from which they came.
All the vineyards are contracted on a by-the-acre rather than a "per-ton" basis. This means he pays a set fee for the acreage guarantying the grower cash for his crop regardless of the tonnage. This allows him to prune, shoot-thin and drop crop for low yields that result in only high quality grapes. His winemaking style is a blend of classic and contemporary, utilizing cutting edge fermentation equipment paired with natural hands on winemaking, and an emphasis on balance. All the wines are naturally fermented and unfined and unfiltered to preserve their innate flavors and aromas.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Sean Capiaux's 2018s are some of the best wines I have tasted from him. I won't be surprised if they show even better with more time in bottle. Capiaux describes 2018 as a year with a moderate temperature and a harvest that was 2-3 weeks later than what has become normal in recent times."
"The 2018 Pinot Noir Chimera is compelling. Bright, sculpted and energetic, the 2018 is just singing today. Sweet red cherry, mint, blood orange, spice and rose petal all race out of the glass. The Russian River Pinot here has often been a bit juicier, but the 2018 is done in a style that emphasizes aromatic depth and focus. Of course, the wines were just bottled about six weeks ago, so there may be some bottle shock. In any event, the 2018 is superb."
- Item #: i_276541Bottle Size: 750mlAged 9 months in barrel, 16% new French oak. · Moderately light ruby red color in the glass. The nose opens nicely over time in the glass, offering fresh aromas of dark red cherry, spice and dusty oak. Light weighted and easy going, with bright flavors of cherry, strawberry and mocha. Lacy in texture with silky tannins and a cherry-fueled finish. A simple but redeeming wine.
- Item #: i_210180Bottle Size: 750mlSince its founding, Chalk Hill has been producing artisan wines from their Estate vineyards in the hills of northeastern Sonoma County. For four decades they studied, prodded, and coaxed their complex terroir to ensure that their Estate wines deliver vivid aromatics, commanding flavors, great character, and regional accuracy. While their 300+ acres of vineyards surrounding the winery will always be the cornerstone of their identity, starting with the 2012 vintage, they started producing our first Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. This 2018 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir comes from extraordinary vineyards throughout Sonoma County, consisting primarily of Foley Family estate Vineyards and fruit from some of the best sites in Carneros, Russian River Valley, Sonoma Valley, and Sonoma Coast.
This wine is dark ruby in color and showcases strawberry, black cherry, oriental spice and toasty oak on the nose. Flavors of strawberry, and juicy cherry round out the palate with vanilla undertones and a bright acidity. The finish on this Pinot Noir lingers with a velvety softness and notes of maraschino cherry and sweet vanilla oak. Overall, this is a fruit-forward style that can be enjoyed in its youth or aged for another few years.
- Item #: i_212280Bottle Size: 750MLCarneros was the first wine region defined by its climate characteristics rather than political boundaries. As a result, this is one of the few AVA’s within Napa Valley that crosses both Napa and Sonoma. The Carneros AVA is the driest and coolest sub-AVA of Napa Valley. Fierce and persistent winds off the San Pablo Bay encourages the grapevines to struggle and retain moisture. Heavily influenced by morning fog from the San Pablo Bay, in the summer there can be a ten degree temperature difference between Carneros and the Northern Napa Valley sub-AVAs such as Calistoga or Rutherford. As a result, this makes the perfect growing conditions for Pinot Noir as the the cool climate slows down ripening and preserves acidity in the grapes.
Winery's Tasting Notes: "The inaugural vintage of the 2018 San Pablo Bay Block is racy with flavors of tart cranberries, red cherries and a delicate perfume of rose petals. The palate is layered with similar fruit notes, along with a depth of pomegranate, macerated strawberries and baking spices with a subtle hint of vanilla that leads to a smooth finish. This wine is full of verve and will beautifully round out with aging."
- Item #: i_212240Bottle Size: 750mlMade by Michael Browne (formerlly of Kosta Browne), this Russian River Valley Pinot Noir has aromas of violet, hibiscus, and dried rose petals. Subtle notes of light earth, ripe cherry, allspice and aged tobacco leaf. The palate has layers of black cherry, dark plum and lightly candied apple. A mouth-watering red-velvety texture, with lively acidity, a combination of soft and grippy tannins and a full mouth finish, centered on the mid-palate.
- Item #: i_213980Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 90This wine is Paul Hobbs' companion label that complements his eponymous line of wines. This Pinot Noir was produced using hand-harvested fruit from carefully selected vineyards within the Sonoma Coast region, and receives the same techniques as its big sister.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Medium ruby, the 2018 Pinot Noir is made with about 72% estate fruit and very little oak. It's a fresh style with open-knit aromas of roast cranberry and rhubarb with touches of dried leaves, soil and tar. The palate is medium-bodied, bright and juicy with good concentration and spiciness and a lifted finish. Enjoy it over the next two to three years. 19,500 cases produced."
JEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast comes from multiple sites on the Sonoma Coast and saw a touch of stems and 9 months on lees in 11% new French oak. Its ruby hue gives way to a pretty, strawberry, spice, and brambly, forest floor-laced Pinot Noir that has good acidity, plenty of sweet fruit, no hard edges, and a clean finish. It's well worth seeking out."
- Item #: i_216190Bottle Size: 750mlDivision's "UN" Pinot Noir is a blend of fruit from vineyards located in the cooler portions of the Willamette Valley, including Eola Springs, Bjornson, and Temperance Hill vineyards. All but one of the vineyards included in the "Un" cuvee is organically, LIVE Certified and/or Biodynamically farmed. The oldest vines, the Eola Springs Vineyard, has transitioned to Biodynamic and organic principled farming (save for phylloxera treatment in the old vines).
Division's 2018 Pinot Noir "Un" gives generous huckleberry fruit on the nose andpalate, matching the darker fruit flavors with brambliness and acidity. Heaps of wet slate, allspice, and a sweet praline nuttiness round out the wine for a savory finish that somehow manages to be dense and airy. For a base level Pinot Noir, it packs serious punch and complexity – this is not a wine to be missed!
- Item #: i_215930Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92On the nose, the wine is beautifully aromatic, combining notes of ripe, fresh cherry, rasberry, and strawberry jam, along with intense floral notes of hibiscus and orange blossom, baking spices of cardamom, cacao and vanilla, and a touch of fresh herbs (bay leaf, celery leaf). On the palate the wine is medium bodied and silky, with waves of complex ripe red fruits (cherry, raspberry, cranberry) complicated by notes of rhurbarb, fresh herbs and hints of wood smoke. The wine has ample, bright acidity, and sturdy tannins which provide structure, energy and cut on the long smooth finish.
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "This red is loaded with juicy acidity, backing the lively mix of cherry tart and dried raspberry flavors that are filled with savory richness. Mineral and hot stone notes on the toasty finish. Drink now through 2025."
- Item #: i_215960Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95If you've ever had any of the Dagueneau Sauvignon Blancs from France's Loire Valley, then you know those wines are things of beauty. It was over a glass of Dagueneau that brothers Steve and John Dragonette and close friend Brandon Sparks-Gillis decided to leave their jobs at a Los Angeles wine shop and search throughout Santa Barbara's Santa Ynez Valley to find vineyards that could best exemplify the enticing characteristics of this grape. They have found those vineyards, and now their Sauvignon Blancs have become some of our favorites! The Vogelzang Vineyard is our favorite bottling of Sauvignon Blanc from the boys. Situated on a gently sloping bed of well-drained, gravelly loam with serpentine, the warm to hot summer days and cool to cold evenings is ideal for promoting full phenolic ripeness while still retaining critical acidity.
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Possibly my favorite of the Sauvignon Blanc releases, the 2018 Sauvignon Blanc Vogelzang Vineyard has a more powerful, broad, concentrated style to go with lots of stone fruits, brioche, honeyed minerality, and sappy herbs. It's possibly less complex than the Grimm's Bluff release, but it's simply beautifully balanced, layered, and textured on the palate."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Sauvignon Blanc Vogelzang Vineyard is another compelling wine in this range. Here rich orchard and tropical fruit flavors meld with brighter more citrus and mineral-driven nuances in a Sauvignon Blanc that is incredibly complex and delicious. The Vogelzang is another superb wine from Dragonette."
- Item #: i_220280Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 93For us, DuMol sets the benchmark for Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. Year after year, winemaker Andy Smith makes seamless, wonderfully textured, and downright delicious Pinot Noirs from this iconic region, and they always seem to be one of the best Pinots we taste all year! Yields are small, which means production is small, but that also means better wine!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Wester Reach has a medium ruby color and a nose of cranberry sauce, blackberries, cinnamon stick, forest floor, black tea leaves and accents of potpourri. Made entirely with free-run juice, the medium-bodied palate bursts with juicy berry fruits, perfumed and fresh, finishing very long."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "As with the Chardonnay, the 2018 Pinot Noir Wester Reach goes out to distribution only as opposed to being offered through the mailing list. As such, it's made in reasonable quantities, and there are 4,000 cases of the 2018. Lots of spice box, foresty, earthy notes, spring flowers, and a core of black raspberry fruit all give way to a more medium-bodied, elegant, silky wine that has no hard edges, ripe tannins, and the class to shine for 7-8 years. It's a beautiful wine as well as a terrific introduction into the wines of DuMOL."