Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_200270Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 92 POINTS - "Elegant and intense, offering layered aromas of red raspberries, fresh Oregon strawberries, brown spice, and cedar. It is exceptionally balanced with silky tannins and a persistent finish. This wine would pair well with lamb, duck, salmon, and aged cheeses."
David Adelsheim and Ginny Adelsheim planted their first vineyards in Oregon's Willamette Valley back in 1972. Since producing their first commercial vintage in 1978, the Adelsheims have used sustainable farming practices and take great care to bring out the best in each of their unique vineyard sites. In the winery, they combine traditional and modern techniques, crafting wines in a style that centers on elegance, complexity and richness in flavor and texture.
The Elizabeth's Reserve bottling is a "best of" blend, using only the best barrels in the cellar. With many wonderful lots representing different soil types, clones, site climates, fermenter sizes and barrel characteristics, winemaker Dave Paige pulls together a wine that truly reflects the vintage and character.
This wine is both elegant and intense, offering layered aromas of red raspberries, fresh Oregon strawberries, brown spice and cedar. Aromas reflected on the palate are pure and elegant, it is exceptionally balanced with silky tannins and a persistent finish. This wine will pair beautifully with lamb, duck, grilled salmon and aged cheeses.
- Item #: i_207540Bottle Size: 750ml2013 was an ideal year in the Anderson Valley. It started very early and with steady temperatures through fall, we received a great sugar, acid, and ph balance that only happens in the best years. Picked on Sept 13th, with a 3.4 ph and 24.5 brix, this wine has bright strawberry, tart red cherry, and cranberry on a lively frame with just 15% new oak giving it just hints of spice.
- Item #: i_216240Bottle Size: 750mlEarth bark spice and exotic oak flavors intermingle with fresh fruits. Black cherry is echoed on the palate. The firm tannic core is enveloped in a satiny robe of black and red cherries and red plum skin flavors. Generous without heaviness, the wine is sophisticated and confident.
- Item #: i_241420Bottle Size: 750mlWe've enjoyed the Cabernets and Chardonnays from Merryvale for some time, but this Pinot Noir is a new one to us. This wine really does fire on all cylinders, and while this sells under $30 a bottle, we think it compares to others that reach that $40 price points! Merryvale carefully blended many different Pinot Noir clones in order to get good balance, freshness, richness, and flavors. Deep ruby in color with notes of red cherries, earth and orange rind in the aroma. Medium density, with intense fruit flavors and strong floral notes. A soft and delicate palate resolves into smooth velvety tannins. As this wine evolves, further floral flavors will emerge along with notes of tobacco. Properly cellared, this wine will grow and develop over the next 10 years.. Bravo!
- Item #: i_268270Bottle Size: 750mlTalbott's "Diamond T" Pinot Noir is made using a selection of the finest Dijon clone grapes. It has a deep, vibrant color and aromas of ripe fruit and exotic spices. The palate provides rich flavors of cherry, plum and spice, with clean, crisp acidity and supple tannins. Aging in 80 percent new French oak has contributed to the tannin structure, as well as the complexity of this wine, which concludes with a round, lingering finish. This wine is a cool-climate Pinot Noir that shows the power and elegance of the Diamond T Vineyard.