- Item #: i_202540Bottle Size: 750mlJack Niven pioneered winegrape planting with Paragon Vineyard in the Edna Valley in 1973. Not the bystander type, his wife Catharine soon after began a project that grew into what is now Baileyana Winery. In the mid 1990s, their two sons, James and John, purchased property next door, and expanded Paragon Vineyard. They designed and planted these new blocks with select clones, varieties and rootstocks specific to the site. They named this section Firepeak, in homage of the extinct volcanoes in the area, and the resulting volcanic soils.
Aromas of bright cherry, blackberry, rose petal and hints of spice burst from the glass of this bright and nicely balanced Pinot Noir. Flavors of dark fruit, blueberry, mocha and cola flavors along with soft supple tannins create a beautiful finish.
- Item #: i_202640Bottle Size: 750mlFor Pinot Noir, the cream really does rise to the top. Pinot Noir is such a transparent grape that any faults or follies in the growing and winemaking process are amplified in the finished wine. Therefore, when we find a Pinot Noir that shines above the rest, and at the same time doesn't break the bank, we wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't let you know about it. And let us say, we've done our homework on this one to bring you a fantastic buy!
Bishop's Peak wines are handcrafted by Talley Vineyards to capture the varietal and regional diversity of San Luis Obispo County. The grapes for the wines come from small vineyard sites in Arroyo Grande Valley, Edna Valley, and Paso Robles. Some of these sites are owned by the Talley family while others are owned by growers who share the family's commitment to quality. This wine shows many of the similar qualities, nuances, and complexities of Pinot Noirs that sell for more than $25 a bottle, but seeing at this sells under $15 a bottle, this is one heck of a bargain!
- Item #: i_274430Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a blend of 40% Syrah, 35% Mourvedre, 19% Grenache, 4% Carignan, and 2% Tannat. Russel writes his tasting notes like a story, and he writes: "You never thought you'd get this far, but the wood-paneled bar with neon-lit signs has dissolved into your apartment balcony, where she's hungry and waiting. Frying up a grilled cheese in the kitchen you realize you're not kids anymore, so you're trying to channel your inner Thomas Keller, chopping fresh rosemary and sage, sizzling bacon, spreading pepper jelly. She hand-rolls a cigarette as you split the sandwich. Miles away, thunder rolls. The air turns earthy and sweet. Let it fill the space between you until the rain begins."
- Item #: i_236920Bottle Size: 750mlBlending vineyards from cool climate sites in Sonoma, Monterey, and San Benito Counties, Landmark's Overlook Pinot Noir represents the best of the vintage. Quality and flavor begin in the vineyard, which is why rapport with their growers is so important. Winemaker Greg Stach becomes intimately involved in the growers' viticultural practices, and personally chooses grapes from the finest vineyards allowing him to create a wine that captures the essence of the vintage.
On the nose, the wine is rich with molasses, cherry, spearmint, black tea, cranberry and plum. The palate features notes of gingerbread spice, red raspberry and grilled mushroom with a lengthy finish of mocha, black tea and forest floor.
- Item #: i_238900Bottle Size: 750MLThis Pinot Noir was crafted almost entirely with fruit from Olson Ranch, a spectacular vineyard in the Central Coast's Santa Lucia Highlands appellation known for producing elegant, nuanced Pinot Noir. This phenomenal site is heavily in fluenced by the nearby Pacific Ocean, making this a cool and windy site characterized by clay loam soils over fractured limestone. The Pinot Noir grapes grown here deliver classic, cool-climate Pinot flavors of red cherry and raspberry. Deep ruby in color, MacMurray's Central Coast Pinot Noir opens with delicate notes of black cherry, raspberry and pomegranate, accented by a distinct spice character that typifies Olson Ranch . Velvety soft tannins meld with ripe red fruit flavors to create a smooth mouth feel and long finish.
- Item #: i_268440Bottle Size: 750MLFor three generations the Talley family has farmed in Coastal San Luis Obispo County, a tradition that began in 1948 when Oliver Talley founded Talley Farms and started growing vegetables in the Arroyo Grande Valley. After witnessing the success of winegrowing in the neighboring Edna Valley, Oliver's son, Don Talley, became convinced of the potential for growing high-quality wine grapes on the steep hillsides above Talley Farms. He planted a small test plot in 1982 on the west hillside of the Rincon Vineyard. In 1986 Don made 450 cases of wine, which sold out very quickly. Production increased over the next five years, until 1991, when a new winery was built at the foot of their Rincon Vineyard. Today, Don and Rosemary Talley's son, Brian Talley, runs the business after developing a passion for wine when he worked in a wine shop while attending UC Berkely.
The Talley family has a commitment to high quality and long-term sustainability which are the two principles that guide Talley Vineyards' farming decisions. Their vineyards are SIP Certified (Sustainability in Practice) by the Central Coast Vineyard Team. Biologically based farming techniques and integrated pest management practices are employed throughout the vineyards. To improve soil conditions, prevent erosion and provide fertility, cover crops are maintained in all vineyard blocks. No herbicides are used.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "Deep glistening ruby-red. Vibrant, sharply focused aromas of cherry, potpourri and Asian spices are lifted by a smoky mineral flourish. Broad and concentrated on the palate, offering raspberry, bitter cherry and spicecake flavors that show impressive energy and focus. Rich yet lively in character, finishing with strong, spicy drive and fine-grained tannins that come in late. 26% new French oak."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The appellation release, the 2017 Pinot Noir Estate is all estate fruit that spent 15 months in 35% new French oak. Beautiful notes of red currants, raspberries, spring flowers, and ground herbs notes all emerge from this medium-bodied, fresh, racy effort that has bright acidity, fine tannins, and a great finish. This vibrant, age-worthy effort will keep for over a decade."
- Item #: i_274670Bottle Size: 750mlRuby in color with nuanced aromas of graham cracker, black cherry, cola, raspberry puree, with an underlaying earthy note of fennel. The wine exhibits a ripe plumpness of fleshy plum with supporting aromas of flint, blood orange, and tea leaves. This wine has velvety tannins that linger on the finish.