- Item #: i_202990Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - " Light in the glass, this bottling offers loads of heady sage, wild thyme and dried flower aromas, with dried cherry and subtle beef-jerky tones in the backdrop. The taut structure delivers brisk cherry and muddled red-plum flavors as well as wood spice and a pinch of herbs."
- Item #: i_215930Bottle Size: 750mlOn the nose, the wine is beautifully aromatic, combining notes of ripe, fresh cherry, rasberry, and strawberry jam, along with intense floral notes of hibiscus and orange blossom, baking spices of cardamom, cacao and vanilla, and a touch of fresh herbs (bay leaf, celery leaf). On the palate the wine is medium bodied and silky, with waves of complex ripe red fruits (cherry, raspberry, cranberry) complicated by notes of rhurbarb, fresh herbs and hints of wood smoke. The wine has ample, bright acidity, and sturdy tannins which provide structure, energy and cut on the long smooth finish.
- Item #: i_241240Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93+Jeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94+ POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Estate Anna's was two-thirds destemmed and has a brighter, crisp feel in its raspberry and wild strawberry fruits as well as spicy, herbal notes. Medium-bodied, fresh, and focused on the palate, with present acidity and tannins, it's going to benefit from a year or two of bottle age and keep for over a decade as well. It's a beautiful wine."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93+ POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Anna's Block is one of the more reserved wines in the range today. Bright acids and veins of tannin are going to need a bit of time in bottle to integrate fully. Wines from this block rich in loam are often more forthcoming, but the 2018 needs time, which is likely a good thing for its long-term prospects."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Made with about 70% whole cluster, the 2018 Pinot Noir Anna's Block has a medium ruby color and delicate perfume of red and black berries with notes of dried flowers, nori and citrus peel. The palate has a singular contrast of broody character and bright, lifted freshness, finely grained and with a long, citrusy finish. 575 cases produced."
- Item #: i_241370Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Last of the Pinot Noirs, the 2018 Pinot Noir Estate Block M saw a bunch of stems (75% whole clusters) and aging all in neutral oak. Lots of stem influence as well as ripe red and black fruits, forest floor, and gamey, spicy notes emerge from the glass. Medium to full-bodied, it offers ripe, present tannins, good acidity, and all the right components. Give bottles 2-3 years and enjoy over the following decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Block M has very pretty scents of blue and red berries with accents of dried violets, tar and dried herbs. The medium-bodied palate is layered, broody, grainy and seamlessly fresh, with lovely floral perfume coming through on the long finish. 475 cases produced."
- Item #: i_241060Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 95The Sandy's block is named in honor of Ron Melville's sister and was deliberately planted on the extremely sandy northwest section of their east vineyard. Sandy's has performed heroically over the years particularly when considering its extreme location combined with the poor, well drained soils of this section. This block also contains clonal material representative of their new era of plantings and includes selections from Merry Edwards, Calera (Clone 90), and clones 459 and 114. These four selections, when planted on sand, produce wildly intense and pretty aromatics with a very ethereal and harmonic palate impression.
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Seeing 50% stems, the 2018 Pinot Noir Estate Sandy's offers a more rounded, complex style as well as beautiful spiced cherry, incense, orange blossom, and foresty, almost pine tree-like nuances. It's medium to full-bodied, with a wonderful texture, present tannins, and a great finish. It's capable of evolving for over a decade."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Melville's 2018 Pinot Noir Sandy's Block is delicate and airy in the glass. Sweet red cherry, mint, dried rose petal and a good bit of whole cluster savoriness all give this silky, delicate Pinot so much character and stylishness. The Sandy's (named after Ron Melville's sister) also happens to be planted on pure sand, which, along with the whole clusters, really brings out the wine's aromatics."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Sandy's has a medium ruby color and broody aromas of crushed blueberries, black cherries, dried violets and bergamot. The palate is medium-bodied with bright juiciness and Goldilocks ripeness, finishing long on a potpourri note. 675 cases produced."
- Item #: i_244890Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95If you do not yet know the name Paul Lato, and you haven't heard us talking about him in our store, then it's time to listen up! We are telling you right now that Paul Lato is producing some of the most exciting Pinot Noirs, Chardonnays, and Syrahs coming out of California's Central Coast!
After working as a Sommelier in Toronto, Paul decided to change gears and work in winemaking. After working with Jim Clenden at Au Bon Climat, Paul started making his first wines. Before he even had a name, esteemed critic Robert Parker tasted the wines and suggested that Paul hurry up and come up with a label, because Paul had true talent. Paul only works with premier vineyards; he tastes wines from other producers who use fruit from a potential vineyard, and if that wine excites him, then he tries to get the best fruit from the property.
Paul makes several different wines, but he does not make a large amount of any one bottling. In fact, he often makes just a few hundred cases of a particular label, which means getting your hands on them is even harder. However, our buyer has known Paul for well over a decade, so we tend to get a rather generous allocation...thanks Paul!
The scores for Paul's wines have only been going up and up. In fact, one of his Syrahs received 100 points! We just received a few releases this week, and we felt the need to bring these incredible wines to your attention before they're all gone!
JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "A great California success story, Polish immigrant Paul Lato started as a cellar hand in a Santa Maria co-op/custom crush and has worked his way up to being one of the leading producers of artisanal, world class wines in California today. Lato fashions a bevy of wines (I would normally say too many, yet given the quality he's able to achieve, the more the merrier) including Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Syrah. These aren't lightweight wines, yet they never lose their sense of balance and elegance. I always describe the wines as having a slightly Old World style, but with one foot planted firmly in California. As I hope the reviews show, his 2018s are incredible wines across the board."
"The 2018 Pinot Noir Seabiscuit Zotovich Vineyard, from the Sta. Rita Hills, saw a similar elevage and was all destemmed and brought up in 69% new French oak. Ruby/plum-colored, with a spicy, woody style in its red and black fruits, it has lots of cedary spice, flowery incense, and violet notes, medium to full body, a pure, balanced character, and a great finish. It's still relatively tight and focused and will benefit from another year in bottle. It should drink nicely through 2030."
- Item #: i_260240Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Sourced mostly from their Domaine de la Cote estate (70%), the blend is buttressed by old vines fruit from Sanford and Benedict (20%) and a touch from the newcomer, the Patterson Vineyard (10%). The wine was fermented 30% whole bunches and raised in neutral barrels for 14 months.
This deeply colored wine is brimming with aromatic intensity and notes of focused, dark fruits like plum and berry compote with an undercurrent of nori. On the palate the wine possesses great density and a silky texture with resolved tannins.
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir (Sta. Rita Hills) is a glorious wine. A burst of sweet red/purplish fruit makes a strong opening statement that reverberates off layers of savory and floral intensity. Deceptive in its mid-weight structure, the 2018 packs a serious punch. Readers who want to get a sense of the year would do well to start here. This striking appellation-level Pinot is one of the overachievers of the year. Then again, vineyard sites are Domaine de La Cote and Sanford and Benedict, which was not bottled separately, but used for wine. The 30% whole clusters are perfectly judged."
- Item #: i_257580Bottle Size: 750MLThis Pinot is bright red ruby in color and is bursting with black raspberry and orange peel, along with savory notes of lavender and white pepper. The palate delivers dense dusty, berry flavors with balanced acid and tannin structure, which carries on with a long and lovely finish.