- Item #: i_200410Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsWINERY NOTES - The 2018 Dundee Hills is opulent and teeming with balance. Wild berries and fresh roasted coffee on the nose lead to complex stone fruit flavors and the peppery nuance associated with whole-cluster fermentation. A master juggler, the '18 Dundee Hills handles tannin, new oak, and minerality with remarkable finesse. Driven by quintessential Red Hills locales and flavors, the wine is a culmination of our 25-year legacy-an opus to our special surroundings.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "This cuvée is the first to be released from each new vintage, and the most widely available. The 2018 marks the debut (from harvest to bottling) of winemaker Ian Burch, and it’s a promising one. Full bodied and open, this mixes ripe red and purple fruits, especially plums and cherries, with a touch of lightly minty chocolate. Delicious and ready for near-term enjoyment."
- Item #: i_220280Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsFor us, DuMol sets the benchmark for Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. Year after year, winemaker Andy Smith makes seamless, wonderfully textured, and downright delicious Pinot Noirs from this iconic region, and they always seem to be one of the best Pinots we taste all year! Yields are small, which means production is small, but that also means better wine!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Wester Reach has a medium ruby color and a nose of cranberry sauce, blackberries, cinnamon stick, forest floor, black tea leaves and accents of potpourri. Made entirely with free-run juice, the medium-bodied palate bursts with juicy berry fruits, perfumed and fresh, finishing very long."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "As with the Chardonnay, the 2018 Pinot Noir Wester Reach goes out to distribution only as opposed to being offered through the mailing list. As such, it's made in reasonable quantities, and there are 4,000 cases of the 2018. Lots of spice box, foresty, earthy notes, spring flowers, and a core of black raspberry fruit all give way to a more medium-bodied, elegant, silky wine that has no hard edges, ripe tannins, and the class to shine for 7-8 years. It's a beautiful wine as well as a terrific introduction into the wines of DuMOL."
- Item #: i_228840Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "Coming from a block located on a northern facing ridge north of Fort Ross, on the Sonoma Coast, the 2017 Pinot Noir Far Coast Vineyard was destemmed and spent 17 months in 32% new French oak. Bottled unfined and unfiltered, it offers a deeper, richer, more savory bouquet of black cherry and darker currant fruits as well as loads of ground herbs, chocolate, forest floor, and spice. This rich, opulent, incredibly sexy Pinot Noir has a wealth of fruit, a rounded, seamless texture, and a great finish. It's a rock star in this stacked lineup and a gem of a wine in the vintage. I love it!"
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Medium ruby-purple colored, the 2017 Pinot Noir Far Coast Vineyard is a little mute at first sniff, with the nose slowly unfurling to reveal beautifully perfumed notes of lilacs, Ceylon tea and bouquet garni over a core of Bing cherries, raspberry leaves and cranberries. Medium-bodied, the palate is fine-boned, refreshing and elegantly played with exquisitely ripe tannins and layers of red, black and blue fruits, finishing long and fragrant. 293 cases were made."
- Item #: i_274570Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsNamed in honor of co-proprietor Jennifer Hartford, this wine is defined by its power, concentration of fruit, structure and an underlying elegance. A wine that is built to age, Jennifer's proves that not all Pinot Noirs are shy, retiring, delicate souls. Jennifer's Pinot is sourced from a vineyard in the windy and very cool Sebastopol Hills sub region of the Russian River Valley AVA. Jennifer's Pinot is planted primarily to clone 23 and is known for very small berries, low yields and a high skin-to-pulp ratio. The dark color, intense black fruit aroma and flavor profile are a testament to the terroir of this site.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "One of the standouts in the lineup, the 2017 Pinot Noir Jennifer's comes from a vineyard south of Sebastopol, which sees lots of influence from the Petaluma Gap. Brought up largely in neutral oak (32% new), its deeper ruby/purple hue is followed by terrific notes of black raspberries, cedarwood, bay leaf, forest floor, and graphite. This head-turner is medium-bodied and has beautiful concentration, bright yet integrated acidity, and a killer finish. Locked and loaded, it needs 2-3 years of bottle age at a minimum, and my money is on it drinking brilliantly at age 20. It's a stunning, singular wine from this estate!"
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Medium ruby-purple colored, the 2017 Pinot Noir Jennifer's comes charging out of the gate with bold raspberry coulis, kirsch and warm redcurrant scents plus nuances of wild sage, damp soil, fallen leaves and spice box. Full-bodied, the palate is jam-packed with red berry preserves and earthy layers, framed by firm, fine-grained tannins, finishing long and perfumed. 298 cases were made."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "One of the standouts in this tasting, the 2017 Pinot Noir Jennifer's is fabulous. Super-ripe red and purplish fruit, rose petal, lavender, game and blood orange infuse the 2017 with striking character. The Jennifer's is one of the more savory wines in the range. I especially admire the wine's aromatic depth, but there are many dimensions here to discover."
- Item #: i_228930Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96+ POINTS - "Coming from the Sonoma Coast, the 2017 Pinot Noir Seascape Vineyard nevertheless seems to have a touch of Russian River-like opulence and power, showing loads of mulberry and cranberry fruit as well as notes of scorched earth, graphite, licorice, and damp forest floor. Rich, concentrated, and medium to full-bodied, it shows the more focused, backward, chiseled style of the vintage yet is far from austere or angular. The cellar will be your friend on this one, and a solid 2-3 years of bottle age are warranted. Nevertheless, it's packed with potential."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Pale to medium ruby-purple in color, the 2017 Pinot Noir Seascape Vineyard gives up pronounced notes of warm cranberries, Bing cherries and raspberry coulis with hints of lilacs, underbrush and fungi. Medium-bodied, the palate is charged with red berries and earthy sparks, framed by silken-textured tannins and bold freshness, finishing long and mineral laced. 313 cases were made."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Seascape Vineyard is bright, fruity and beautifully focused. Sweet red cherry, raspberry, mint and earthy notes grace this expressive, coastal Pinot Noir from Hartford Court. This mid-weight, gracious Pinot has so much to offer."
- Item #: i_238670Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard is a little more dense, focused, and tight, with beautiful black cherry and currant fruits as well as notes of camphor, new leather, violets, and earthy notes. I love its balance. Medium to full-bodied, it has nicely integrated acidity, subtle oak, and a great finish. It's going to keep for 7-8 years, easily. Along with the 2016, its the finest vintage of this release I've tasted!"
- Item #: i_238860Bottle Size: 750mlThe Soberanes Vineyard is the latest exciting jointventure between the Pisoni and Franscioni Families. The site features tightly spaced vines and is planted to 33 acres of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah and sits on the Santa Lucia Highlands Bench adjacent to the Garys' Vineyard. The clonal material planted in the loamy, rocky soil is very diverse and features over a dozen of the most renowned heritage selections from California and Burgundy in pursuit of the finest wine quality.
Classic Soberanes to its dark ruby core, the 2018 Lucia Soberanes Vineyard Pinot Noir harnesses the rich, spicy, and floral notes for which this site is famous. Lush notes of black currant, black cherry, and macerated strawberry burst forth as this wine coats the palate, backed elegantly by savory notes of sandalwood, clove, and sage. With each successive moment that the wine breathes in the glass, persistent tannin from 10% whole cluster fermentation softens to velvet, contributing additional complexity and texture to the palate. Though this Pinot Noir will drink beautifully in its youth, early morning fog and brisk, windy afternoons have preserved its refreshing acidity, which will ensure a long, graceful aging in bottle.
- Item #: i_245470Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir is a very pretty, open-knit wine. Crushed rose petal, sweet red berry, mint, cedar and sweet pipe tobacco give the 2017 striking aromatic presence. In 2017, the Mount Eden Pinot is a decidedly forward, silky wine that looks like it will offer its best drinking sooner rather than later. The 2017 was done with 33% whole clusters and saw 50% new barrels."
- Item #: i_250010Bottle Size: 750mlAfter establishing his eponymous winery as one of the leaders in Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from both Napa and Sonoma, Steve Kistler has branched out and begun a new winery and named it Occidental. Steve's new winery is a slight diversion from his prior one. The Kistler wines come from prime vineyards throughout Sonoma and Napa Counties, but the name Occidental (which comes from the Latin word for "western") gives a clue to the difference in these wines, as the vineyards for Steve's new project come from vineyards that lie in the far western reaches of Sonoma County, near the coast.
The vineyard sites were chosen so the grapes would achieve total maturity at lower sugar levels, yet maintain fresh acidity. Steve Kistler had already taken notice of this cool, wind-swept region in the early 2000s, as he planted two vineyards in the area and bottled them under the "Cuvee Elizabeth" and "Cuvee Catherine" designations for the Kistler wines. The microclimate of this area results in a wine with more moderate alcohol levels, more freshness, yet continue to be full-flavored. The wines are fermented using native yeasts, manual punchdowns multiple times per day (to get full flavor, color, and aromatics), spontaneous malolactic fermentation, and aged in a combination of new and seasoned French oak barrels.
- Item #: i_244790Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "A great California success story, Polish immigrant Paul Lato started as a cellar hand in a Santa Maria co-op/custom crush and has worked his way up to being one of the leading producers of artisanal, world class wines in California today. Lato fashions a bevy of wines (I would normally say too many, yet given the quality he's able to achieve, the more the merrier) including Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Syrah. These aren't lightweight wines, yet they never lose their sense of balance and elegance. I always describe the wines as having a slightly Old World style, but with one foot planted firmly in California. As I hope the reviews show, his 2018s are incredible wines across the board."
"Another Sta. Rita Hills release (I think this is the first vintage for this cuvee), the 2018 Victor Francis Peake Ranch Vineyard has a pure, nicely concentrated, full-bodied style with good complexity in its spiced cherry and blackberry fruits, chocolate, leafy herbs, and forest floor aromas and flavors. I love the overall richness and texture here, and it's one of the more meaty, powerful wines in the lineup."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "This is a new wine from Paul Lato, named after his son. Medium ruby-purple, the 2018 Pinot Noir Victor Francis Peake Ranch Vineyard is delicately styled with aromas of rosewater, saline, lavender, crushed raspberries and strawberries, with an undercurrent of fragrant earth. Medium-bodied, it's concentrated, broody and firm with seamless freshness and a long, perfumed finish. This has what it needs to age well in bottle, and I'd give it another two or three years in the cellar. 185 cases were made."
- Item #: i_249700Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "Peay was without question of the highlights of my January trip. The wines I tasted for this report are positively stellar, with the sole exception of the Viognier, which was off. In terms of the core wine – the Pinots and the Syrahs – they are all strikingly beautiful, compelling and flat-out gorgeous. I would be thrilled to own and drink them. I can't add much more than that."
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Estate Scallop Shelf is distinguished by its bright, focused personality and energy. As it often is, the Scallop Shelf is a wine of reserve and tension, showing plenty of savory and mineral character and less overt fruit than some of the other wines in the range. The 2017 is likely to require at least a few years to come into its own, but it is super-impressive."
- Item #: i_252940Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Raen is a new project put out by Carlo and Dante Mondavi, grandsons of the famed Robert Mondavi. Carlo and Dante are fourth generation vintners born and raised in Napa Valley who "cut their teeth" working under Tim Mondavi at the Robert Mondavi Winery as well as Opus One. The two brothers credit their dad Tim for the passion they share for Pinot Noir, as Tim is a big Burgundy fan and was a pioneer for California Pinot Noir through the '70s. Raen's Sonoma Coast bottling has been named Royal St. Robert Cuvee, in the honor of Carlo and Dante Mondavi's grandfather (Robert Mondavi) who taught them to be committed to excellence.
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Raen's 2018 Pinot Noir Royal St. Robert is a fabulous introduction to these wines. Airy, gracious and beautifully perfumed, the Royal St. Robert is especially lifted in this vintage. Intense floral, savory and spice notes give the 2018 striking aromatic presence. The 100% whole clusters are evident, but also nicely layered into the wine's fabric. This is an especially ethereal style. I would prefer to give the 2018 a year or two in bottle, as it is a bit clenched, especially on the finish."
- Item #: i_255120Bottle Size: 750MLLeather, tobacco, and cola in a dense, masculine cloak of ripe dark berries makes one imagine sipping this in an old 19th-century library. This wine has a refined richness that stands out, and ages beautifully.
- Item #: i_278010Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 94 POINTS - "Veteran winemaker Tony Soter and his longtime assistant winemaker, James Cahill, make wines that age magnificently. The bottlings from Soter's estate vineyard, Mineral Springs, are often among the Willamette Valley's top Pinot Noirs, while those bottled under the North Valley label convey a somewhat more approachable style. I say 'somewhat' because, like their big brothers, they are built to reward aging, but at a user-friendly price point. The 2017s here show very good depth and possess the freshness and energy to make them drinkable on the young side, if one so desires."
"Limpid ruby-red. Powerful, spice-accented red and dark berries, incense and candied flowers on the seductively perfumed nose; a mineral nuance builds in the glass. Alluringly sweet, sharply delineated cherry, raspberry preserve and rose pastille flavors are complemented by an exotic spice nuance. Fine-grained and seamless in texture, finishing extremely long and sappy, with resonating spiciness and slowly building tannins. 40% new oak."