- Item #: i_201750Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - " This has an attractive, fresh and silky feel with a very smooth, vibrant and lively set of red-fruit aromas on offer. The palate has a fresh and quite detailed core of red cherries with neatly groomed tannins. Drink or hold. Screw cap."
- Item #: i_201680Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "Deep lurid red. Spice- and smoke-accented cherry, raspberry and musky floral scents are complemented by building mineral and earth accents. Concentrated yet lively in character, offering intense cherry, Chambord and cola flavors that tighten up slowly on the back half. Smoothly plays power off finesse and finishes very long and appealingly sweet, with dusty tannins sneaking in late."
- Item #: i_204050Bottle Size: 750MLClark and Telephone Vineyard, located near the corner of Clark Avenue and Telephone Road in the Santa Maria Valley, is cooled by wind and fog that snakes in from the Pacific Ocean along a channel of the Santa Maria River. Established in 1972, the Clark and Telephone Vineyard was planted "own root" to the Martini clone. This heirloom clone of Pinot Noir, one of the first to grace the California coastlands, has become something of a lost treasure.
In the winery, the clusters were de-stemmed and the must underwent a cold soak. Fermentation began with the inoculation of yeast strains matched to each lot of grapes. The maceration process during fermentation consisted of a combination of punch-down and pump-over techniques, each day the techniques would be reassessed to ensure that we were riding the line between over extraction and under extraction. The wine was aged in French oak (60% percent new) for nine months and was racked once upon completion of malolactic fermentation and again upon blending.
Scarlet in color; bursting with aromas of cinnamon, caramel and hints of ginger-spiced tea. On the palate, the plush weight coats the mouth with more brown spice and sweet oak flavors, layered into the deep blueberry and strawberry base. The viscosity paired with the flavors and lively acidity lead into a long finish with supple tannins.
- Item #: i_214050Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "A classic Russian River Pinot, Dehlinger's 2017 Pinot Noir Goldridge is bold and succulent, with tons of presence and immediacy. Crushed red berries, spice and sweet red berry fruit all grace this super-expressive Pinot. Hints of dried cherry, hard candy, strawberry and sweet spice all add complexity. Best of all, the 2017 will drink well right out of the gate."
- Item #: i_216350Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "Limpid ruby-red. Ripe, spice-tinged red berries, candied flowers, mocha and smoky minerals on the perfumed nose. Silky and open-knit, offering intense raspberry, cherry and lavender pastille flavors that become weightier as the wine opens up. Shows fine clarity and floral lift on the long, incisive finish, which is firmed by a lively mineral quality."
- Item #: i_216804Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 91Capturing the rustic elegance of the Anderson Valley, this wine begins with lively aromas of fresh-picked wild strawberry, dusty earth and sweet tobacco leaf. The dynamic strawberry aromas are echoed on the palate, where they are supported by supple tannins and a bright underlying acidity that adds energy and zest to a long, nuanced finish.
- Item #: i_229610Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Pinot Noirs, the 2017 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley is the appellation release from Hobbs, and it's brought up all in French oak. Black raspberries, bouquet garni, crushed flowers, and honeyed strawberry notes all emerge from this beautifully polished, medium-bodied, seamless effort. With lots of upfront fruit, plenty of underlying depth and structure, and a great finish, it's a winner. Drink it over the coming decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir is pale to medium ruby-purple colored and reveals gregarious notes of crushed black and red cherries, warm raspberries and mulberries with touches of baking spices, red roses and spearmint. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is completely packed with red and black berry layers, framed by plush tannins and a lively line, finishing long and spicy. 7,265 cases produced, to be released in March 2019."
- Item #: i_266440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Stoller's 2017 Reserve Pinot Noir is a blend of our older Pinot Noir vines, with Pommard being the dominant clone. They fermented this wine with native yeast in stainless steel tanks and their oak fermenter. It spent 12-months in French oak barrels during which it saw full malolactic conversion. After blending, the wine is put back in stainless steel tanks for another six months to gain extended time on lees and marry before bottling.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Reserve Pinot Noir is shy on the nose, offering earthy nuances over a core of red and black berries with citrus peel and floral sparks emerging with some air. It's medium-bodied, concentrated and silky, with a long, fresh finish. Give it another year or two in bottle. 8,000 cases were made."
- Item #: i_228260Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 95+ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - " 'Pricing is important to me, says Steven Hansel. 'In the marketplace, most people treat wine like a commodity—if people are willing to pay $100, that's what it's sold for—without any relation to what it actually costs to make. If we're going to get young people to drink wine, they can't pay those prices. I believe young people would like to enjoy wine, but they don't have the resources. So, why are we raising prices? If we charge too much, they'll buy tequila or something else—and then we're all out of a job.' An astute observation. The Hansel wines, besides being delicious, provide excellent value. Bravo!"
"Pale to medium ruby-purple, the 2017 Pinot Noir Cahill Lane has a broody nose of sliced blueberry, black cherry and warm blackberries with cinnamon, nutmeg, tree bark and amaro accents plus crushed red cherries, raspberry jam, warm strawberries and dried flowers. Medium-bodied and silky, it fans out in the mouth with lush, concentrated fruits and tons and tons of spicy and earthy accents, with a firm frame of grainy tannins and very juicy acidity, finishing very long and layered. 750 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "This is a superb set of wines from Stephen Hansel. In my view, the Hansel Chardonnays and Pinots are quintessential expressions of the Russian River Valley. Best of all, these are some of the most fairly priced wines readers will find anywhere in the world."
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Cahill Lane Vineyard is soft, creamy and voluptuous, all of which give it tremendous raciness and immediacy, especially for this wine and given its bottling just two weeks before I saw it. Ripe red cherry/raspberry, mint, chalk and floral notes abound. The Cahill Lane is surprisingly, shockingly open at this stage, not that that will be an issue of any kind."
- Item #: i_228200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 94To put it bluntly, if you enjoy balanced, flavorful, and complex Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays, then the Walter Hansel Winery should be on your radar...plain and simple! Winemaker Stephen Hansel crafts masterpieces year-in and year-out from his family's 75+ acres in Russian River Valley, creating Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays that remind us of premier cru Burgundy.
The Russian River Valley is regarded as one of the best regions in the world for growing top notch Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. For that reason, it is not uncommon for prices to exceed $75-$100 for a bottle from some producers...but not this producer. Stephen Hansel knows that if wineries keep charging elevated prices, then people start to look elsewhere. Even esteemed wine critic Antonio Galloni states that "these are some of the most fairly priced wines readers will find anywhere in the world."
So here we have somebody who makes wines from one of the best regions in the world, doesn't make a lot of them, he gets high scores from the critics, and charges reasonable prices?? Folks, if this doesn't get your attention, then check your pulse, because Walter Hansel Winery has been one of our favorite Sonoma County producers for over a decade, and the wines are guaranteed to rock your world!
ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS - "'Pricing is important to me,' says Steven Hansel. 'In the marketplace, most people treat wine like a commodity—if people are willing to pay $100, that's what it's sold for—without any relation to what it actually costs to make. If we're going to get young people to drink wine, they can't pay those prices. I believe young people would like to enjoy wine, but they don't have the resources. So, why are we raising prices? If we charge too much, they'll buy tequila or something else—and then we're all out of a job.' An astute observation. The Hansel wines, besides being delicious, provide excellent value. Bravo!"
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Cuvee Alyce is pale to medium ruby-purple with scents of warm cinnamon, spiced cranberry sauce, orange peel, dried roses, tea leaves, warm earth, crushed strawberries, blackberries, saline and woodsmoke—so many layers! It's medium to full-bodied and floods the mouth with warm fruits laced with classy new oak spices. It has a frame of fine, grainy tannins and wonderful juicy freshness, finishing very long and layered. So good! 938 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "This is a superb set of wines from Stephen Hansel. In my view, the Hansel Chardonnays and Pinots are quintessential expressions of the Russian River Valley. Best of all, these are some of the most fairly priced wines readers will find anywhere in the world."
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Cuvee Alyce is showing very well, especially considering its recent bottling. Dense, pliant and juicy, the Cuvée Alyce has much to offer. A rush of dark raspberry, pomegranate, blood orange, mint and wild flowers builds in a deep, beautifully layered Pinot from Hansel."