Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_251750Bottle Size: 750MLSince their first commercial release of their Pinot Noir in 1974, Nancy & Dick Ponzi have garnered international acclaim for their limited production wines! Always looking for ways to make their stuff better, they have recently moved to gravity-flow technology for more gentle handling of the grapes and juice, and they've been going green longer than most. The Tavola bottling is the new kid on the block, and it's produced from Ponzi's LIVE Certified Sustainable Avellana Vineyard as well as other sustainably-grown vineyards in the Chehalem Mountains, Yamhill-Carlton and Eola-Amity Hills AVAs.
Beautiful aromatics of blackberry, cinnamon stick, dried cranberry and cedar jump from the glass. The mouth is supple with strawberry, balsamic reduction, lavender, thyme and cocoa powder finishing with soft tannins laced with black licorice.
- Item #: i_244990Bottle Size: 750mlPortlandia's passion is to bring you the best of what Oregon's Willamette Valley offers. They start with some natural advantages. The cool climate and coastal influences make Oregon's Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris some of the best in the world. But producing good wine in this climate still requires an enormous effort made possible only by a very creative and talented team. The people at Portlandia are very fortunate to have grower partners throughout the Willamette Valley that offer wonderful fruit, allowing the Portlandia team to bring you incredible Pinot Noir.
Bright youthful garnet color of medium intensity. Sweet ripe cherry and red plum aromas with a hint of minerality and spicy pipe tobacco. Aromas are medium-plus intensity. Aromas repeat as flavors, with a spicy lingering finish.
- Item #: i_252960Bottle Size: 750mlRaen is a new project put out by Carlo and Dante Mondavi, grandsons of the famed Robert Mondavi. Carlo and Dante are fourth generation vintners born and raised in Napa Valley who "cut their teeth" working under Tim Mondavi at the Robert Mondavi Winery as well as Opus One. The two brothers credit their dad Tim for the passion they share for Pinot Noir, as Tim is a big Burgundy fan and was a pioneer for California Pinot Noir through the '70s. Raen's Sonoma Coast bottling has been named Royal St. Robert Cuvee, in the honor of Carlo and Dante Mondavi's grandfather (Robert Mondavi) who taught them to be committed to excellence.
Steep and remote, Raen's Bodega vineyard sits just 4 miles from the coast. Being surrounded by redwoods, pines, wildflowers, coastal oaks and a beautiful assortment of plant life creates an incredibly diverse micro-flora for the vines. In the bowl, aromas of wild strawberry, pine, rose petals, herbs and raspberry give way to forest floor, resin and cherries. Flavors of wild dark berries, forest floor, savory herbs, exotic spice, floral notes and black tea lead to a wonderfully long finish.
- Item #: i_252970Bottle Size: 750mlRaen is a new project put out by Carlo and Dante Mondavi, grandsons of the famed Robert Mondavi. Carlo and Dante are fourth generation vintners born and raised in Napa Valley who "cut their teeth" working under Tim Mondavi at the Robert Mondavi Winery as well as Opus One. The two brothers credit their dad Tim for the passion they share for Pinot Noir, as Tim is a big Burgundy fan and was a pioneer for California Pinot Noir through the '70s. Raen's Sonoma Coast bottling has been named Royal St. Robert Cuvee, in the honor of Carlo and Dante Mondavi's grandfather (Robert Mondavi) who taught them to be committed to excellence.
Hailing from just under two miles from the Pacific Ocean, Raen's Home Field bottling is their most westerly site and also their most elegant. Each year this bottling presents a deep ruby red center that works its way to a brilliantly bridge edge in the glass. Initial notes of white tea, smashed raspberry, orange pith and wet gravel fill the bowl. Sun warmed damp earth, coastal moss-covered pine tree give way to rose petals and delicate spice that speak of this coast site, lingering on your palate.
- Item #: i_252980Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Raen is a new project put out by Carlo and Dante Mondavi, grandsons of the famed Robert Mondavi. Carlo and Dante are fourth generation vintners born and raised in Napa Valley who "cut their teeth" working under Tim Mondavi at the Robert Mondavi Winery as well as Opus One. The two brothers credit their dad Tim for the passion they share for Pinot Noir, as Tim is a big Burgundy fan and was a pioneer for California Pinot Noir through the '70s. Raen's Sonoma Coast bottling has been named Royal St. Robert Cuvee, in the honor of Carlo and Dante Mondavi's grandfather (Robert Mondavi) who taught them to be committed to excellence.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Royal St. Robert is absolutely gorgeous. A wild array of floral and savory notes make a strong opening statement. Expressive and multi-faceted, the Royal St. Robert is positively dazzling from the very first taste. The interplay of fruit, whole cluster savoriness and structure results in a captivating Pinot that has more than enough pedigree to reward a number of years of cellaring. This is a brilliant showing. Wow!"
- Item #: i_277550Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93The Willamette Valley Pinot Noir from Resonance is sourced from both estate vineyards (Resonance and Decouverte Vineyards) and top vineyards in the Willamette Valley. The wine showcases the absolute best of the Willamette Valley, and elegantly blends Maison Louis Jadot's winemaking with the Willamette Valley's signature terroir.
The wine reflects a bright ruby color. The nose is very fresh and fruity, with a lot of red (strawberry, raspberry) and black fruits ( wild cherry, blackberry), enhanced by subtle floral and spicy aromas. Elegance and harmony describe precisely the palate. Tannins are present and fine, while the acidity brings a nice freshness, particularly long.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A wine with structure and presence, buoyed by a complex backbone of minerality, wrapped in refined dark cherry and black tea flavors and finishing with fine-grained tannins."
- Item #: i_253180Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "In the same league, the 2017 Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard (70% new French oak) has the most salinity as well as minerality in the lineup. Dusty earth, blackberries, violets, and rose garden-like characteristics all soar from the glass. It's ethereal and elegant on the palate, yet has the classic Pisoni power and tension front and center. It will be better with a year of bottle age and keep for a decade. It’s another thrilling wine from winemaker Scott Shapley and the team at Roar."
- Item #: i_253190Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Rosella's Vineyard is a pretty, elegant effort that has a sunny style in its strawberry, spice, and dried herb aromas and flavors. Picking up a kiss of orange rind and citrus with time in the glass, it's medium-bodied and seamless on the palate, with plenty of upfront charm."
- Item #: i_255130Bottle Size: 750MLIn the hills of California's Monterey County lies an area that grows some of the very best Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Syrah. This area is known as the Santa Lucia Highlands. Like many other famed grape growing regions of the state, what once was known for orchards and vegetables farms has become heralded for their grapes, and Roar's Franscioni family is regarded as having one of the top vineyards in the area. In fact, the Franscioni's Rosella's and Sierra Mar Vineyards are in such demand, due to the stellar quality of fruit pulled off the vines, that the finished wines command prices similar to what is found in the Russian River Valley!
Chocolate, bright red fruits and dusty scrub brush aromas comes together in the 2017 Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir - a lovely example of what the region has to offer. Strawberry and cherry fill the palate, supported by leather and herbs. Through the finish, the fruit is full and bolstered by earthy, dark accents, and lifted by a bit of spice and savory olive.
- Item #: i_255052Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "These are some of the very finest wines I have ever tasted from Tom Rochioli. Over the last few years, Rochioli has moved up harvest dates, a choice that gives his wine an added element of freshness and energy that works beautifully to complement the natural richness that comes so easily at this Russian River estate. The 2017s are simply brilliant."
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Big Hill is another fabulous wine in this range. Rich, sumptuous and explosive, it possesses stunning intensity in all of its dimensions, along with striking textural depth and resonance. Dark cherry, lavender, rose petal and exotic spice notes build in a Pinot that screams with personality and character."
- Item #: i_255063Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Little Hill comes from the Russian River and was 90% destemmed and aged 15 months in French oak (the percentage new wasn't specified). It's similar ruby translucent colored and has rocking notes of black cherries, mulberries, crushed violets, rose petals, and damp earth. Incredibly pure, finesse-driven yet still powerful and intense, this is a remarkable Pinot Noir that will benefit from short term cellaring and keep for 10-15 years."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "These are some of the very finest wines I have ever tasted from Tom Rochioli. Over the last few years, Rochioli has moved up harvest dates, a choice that gives his wine an added element of freshness and energy that works beautifully to complement the natural richness that comes so easily at this Russian River estate. The 2017s are simply brilliant."
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Little Hill presents an exotic profile of spice, star anise, blood orange and red berry fruit, all rich on the palate and also wonderfully translucent. Time in the glass brings out the wine's texture and overall resonance. This is another impeccably balanced Pinot from Tom Rochioli."
- Item #: i_257695Bottle Size: 750MLSan Simeon Pinot Noir is a rich, fruit-driven wine with ripe flavors of black cherry and raspberry. The mouth is soft and round with a lingering finish. Aromas of bright red fruit, cinnamon, and oak spice are revealed on the fragrant nose.
- Item #: i_260240Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 90ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills is made using fruit from the Domaine de la Cote vineyards (80%) with the rest from the Sanford and Benedict vineyard and was 100% destemmed and aged in neutral barrels. Pale to medium ruby, the nose slowly opens to pretty layers of spice and savory fruit, with aromas of rose petal, sliced blueberries, warm Bing cherries, wild blackberries, peppered salami, amaro and raspberry jam. Light to medium-bodied, the palate gives up lots of spices and savory notes with ripe, grainy tannins and seamless acidity, finishing long and nuanced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir (Sta. Rita Hills) is a gorgeous appellation wine that punches well above its weight. Then again, most of the fruit is from Domaine de la Cote, with a healthy dollop (20%) of grapes from Sanford and Benedict. Dark cherry, plum, spice, licorice and menthol infuse this radiant Pinot with tremendous fruit density and power. Dark cherry, plum, licorice and spice are pushed forward. There is so much to like."
- Item #: i_257580Bottle Size: 750MLThis Pinot is bright red ruby in color and is bursting with black raspberry and orange peel, along with savory notes of lavender and white pepper. The palate delivers dense dusty, berry flavors with balanced acid and tannin structure, which carries on with a long and lovely finish.
- Item #: i_277027Bottle Size: 750MLThis fan-favorite classic is a must on any holiday table. Food friendly wine overflowimg with aromas and flavors of refreshing red fruit ranging from ripe cranberries and Bind cherries to sun-sweetened strawberries. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_258540Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleThis classic Carneros region Pinot Noir offers a wide range of flavors and aromas, in the tradition of the finest red Burgundies of France. "Clonal diversity" is achieved by carefully blending several vineyard lots, each retaining its own unique clonal signature in the blend. The result is a complex wine with a rich bouquet of cherries, berries and hints of spicy new oak. It has flavors reminiscent of black cherry, currant and strawberry, followed by a rich, spicy texture and a long silky finish. This wine pairs nicely with lamb, duck, even grilled fish, and will improve with additional cellaring for 2 to 5 years.
- Item #: i_258460Bottle Size: 750MLThis classic Carneros region Pinot Noir offers a wide range of flavors and aromas, in the tradition of the finest red Burgundies of France. "Clonal diversity" is achieved by carefully blending several vineyard lots, each retaining its own unique clonal signature in the blend. The result is a complex wine with a rich bouquet of cherries, berries and hints of spicy new oak. It has flavors reminiscent of black cherry, currant and strawberry, followed by a rich, spicy texture and a long silky finish. This wine pairs nicely with lamb, duck, even grilled fish, and will improve with additional cellaring for 2 to 5 years.
- Item #: i_274530Bottle Size: 750mlThe fruit for Sean Minor's Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir is a blend of Pommard and Dijon clones from carefully selected vineyards within the region. All grapes are hand-picked at night and early mornigs to keep the fruit at optimal temperatures. The fruit is then de-stemmed into bins and placed into open top fermenters. The fruit is cold-soaked for 3 days prior to initiating fermentation. Once fermentation begins, each tank is punched down two to three times per day to maintain consistent contact between the must and pommace throughout fermentation. Once the wine is fermented dry it is racked to barrels for completion of malo-lactic fermentation. The wine is aged 10 months in 100% French oak of which 20% is new.
The finished wine is medium-bodied with rich aromas of plu, cherry, green tea, and a slight clove spice. On entry, the wine has a lean entry with rich and sweet cherry and plum flavors framed by canilla and oak noets throughout the mid-palate. The spicy finish lingers on the palate.
- Item #: i_275490Bottle Size: 750mlSt. Innocent's Villages Cuvee is produced from Pinot Noir grapes grown in Oregon's northern Willamette Valley. Fruit from their estate vineyard - Zenith - and other sites are blended to create a Pinot noir that complements rich white meat and fish dishes. To enhance this match, winemaker Mark Vlossak blends to maximize both the spectrum of flavors and length on the palate while minimizing the use of new oak.
Heady aromas of sweet, ground spice, fresh berries and black cherries with hints of mint and moist earth. Dark red fruit flavors, loads of spice and white pepper burst onto your palate. This is followed by a richer dark berry compote, cigar box, and hints of Asian five spice. The overall impression is of impressive length and breadth as well as remarkable pungent flavors while embracing round tannins well into the finish. Drink now or over the next several years to watch it evolve
- Item #: i_266450Bottle Size: 750mlStoller Family Estate is the largest contiguous vineyard in Oregon’s Dundee Hills, spanning 398 acres, with approximately 210 under vine. The vineyard is divided into 101 meticulously-farmed sections at elevations ranging from 220 to 640 feet. Made with Stoller's estate Pinot Noir, this wine saw whole berry, native yeast fermentation before aging primarily in neutral French oak for nine months. Notes of bright red fruit, baking spice, cola and earth are met with silky tannins, layers of complexity and a lengthy finish — a classic representation of the Dundee Hills.
- Item #: i_222180Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Oregon Pinot Noir is on a string of rock star vintages! 2015 was ripe, juicy, and hedonistic, while 2016 was fresh, lively, and aromatic. 2017 may turn out to be the "Goldilocks" of the trio, showing ripe fruit with good intensity, yet retaining freshness and verve. Oregon Pinot Noir has the potential to stand up to the best wines coming out of California, Burgundy, or New Zealand, and with a wine of this price...earning this score...Oregon may become the best area in the new world to find quality Pinot Noir for not a lot of money!
The Black Family purchased a vineyard in the warm Dundee Hills of Oregon's Willamette Valley as a family retreat. With family and longevity in mind, they immediately changed the farming techniques in the vineyard, and began to employ sustainable farming on the property. Two years later, the family purchased property in the neighboring Yamhill-Carlton District, employing the same sustainable farming practices, and even practicing biodynamic farming on half of the vineyard! This vineyard has been turned into one of the largest experiments of its kind, with 40 acres farmed sustainably through the L.I.V.E. (Low Impact Viticulture and Enology) program. Today, The Four Graces combines the fruit from these two properties to make one fantastic Pinot Noir! This wine was aged for nine months in French oak barrels (of which 15% were new).
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS 'HIGHLY RECOMMENDED' - "Graceful and sleekly complex, with pretty cherry blossom aromas that open to poised raspberry, green tea and spice flavors that glide along the finish. Drink now through 2026."
Winery Notes - Pleasant aromas of raspberry, Bing cherry and hints of earthy forest floor mingle. The palate exudes bright red fruit flavors of cherry and cranberry complemented by a focused mid palate of black pepper and light roasted coffee beans.
- Item #: i_273604Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine has complex yet delicate nose of white pepper, fig reduction, black raspberry, cardamom and prosciutto. Layered and packed with fruit, it is round with powdery tannins that are both balanced and concentrated.