Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_255130Bottle Size: 750MLIn the hills of California's Monterey County lies an area that grows some of the very best Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Syrah. This area is known as the Santa Lucia Highlands. Like many other famed grape growing regions of the state, what once was known for orchards and vegetables farms has become heralded for their grapes, and Roar's Franscioni family is regarded as having one of the top vineyards in the area. In fact, the Franscioni's Rosella's and Sierra Mar Vineyards are in such demand, due to the stellar quality of fruit pulled off the vines, that the finished wines command prices similar to what is found in the Russian River Valley!
Chocolate, bright red fruits and dusty scrub brush aromas comes together in the 2017 Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir - a lovely example of what the region has to offer. Strawberry and cherry fill the palate, supported by leather and herbs. Through the finish, the fruit is full and bolstered by earthy, dark accents, and lifted by a bit of spice and savory olive.
- Item #: i_255052Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "These are some of the very finest wines I have ever tasted from Tom Rochioli. Over the last few years, Rochioli has moved up harvest dates, a choice that gives his wine an added element of freshness and energy that works beautifully to complement the natural richness that comes so easily at this Russian River estate. The 2017s are simply brilliant."
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Big Hill is another fabulous wine in this range. Rich, sumptuous and explosive, it possesses stunning intensity in all of its dimensions, along with striking textural depth and resonance. Dark cherry, lavender, rose petal and exotic spice notes build in a Pinot that screams with personality and character."
- Item #: i_255063Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Little Hill comes from the Russian River and was 90% destemmed and aged 15 months in French oak (the percentage new wasn't specified). It's similar ruby translucent colored and has rocking notes of black cherries, mulberries, crushed violets, rose petals, and damp earth. Incredibly pure, finesse-driven yet still powerful and intense, this is a remarkable Pinot Noir that will benefit from short term cellaring and keep for 10-15 years."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "These are some of the very finest wines I have ever tasted from Tom Rochioli. Over the last few years, Rochioli has moved up harvest dates, a choice that gives his wine an added element of freshness and energy that works beautifully to complement the natural richness that comes so easily at this Russian River estate. The 2017s are simply brilliant."
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Little Hill presents an exotic profile of spice, star anise, blood orange and red berry fruit, all rich on the palate and also wonderfully translucent. Time in the glass brings out the wine's texture and overall resonance. This is another impeccably balanced Pinot from Tom Rochioli."
- Item #: i_257695Bottle Size: 750MLSan Simeon Pinot Noir is a rich, fruit-driven wine with ripe flavors of black cherry and raspberry. The mouth is soft and round with a lingering finish. Aromas of bright red fruit, cinnamon, and oak spice are revealed on the fragrant nose.
- Item #: i_257580Bottle Size: 750MLThis Pinot is bright red ruby in color and is bursting with black raspberry and orange peel, along with savory notes of lavender and white pepper. The palate delivers dense dusty, berry flavors with balanced acid and tannin structure, which carries on with a long and lovely finish.
- Item #: i_277027Bottle Size: 750MLThis fan-favorite classic is a must on any holiday table. Food friendly wine overflowimg with aromas and flavors of refreshing red fruit ranging from ripe cranberries and Bind cherries to sun-sweetened strawberries. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_258540Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleThis classic Carneros region Pinot Noir offers a wide range of flavors and aromas, in the tradition of the finest red Burgundies of France. "Clonal diversity" is achieved by carefully blending several vineyard lots, each retaining its own unique clonal signature in the blend. The result is a complex wine with a rich bouquet of cherries, berries and hints of spicy new oak. It has flavors reminiscent of black cherry, currant and strawberry, followed by a rich, spicy texture and a long silky finish. This wine pairs nicely with lamb, duck, even grilled fish, and will improve with additional cellaring for 2 to 5 years.
- Item #: i_258460Bottle Size: 750MLThis classic Carneros region Pinot Noir offers a wide range of flavors and aromas, in the tradition of the finest red Burgundies of France. "Clonal diversity" is achieved by carefully blending several vineyard lots, each retaining its own unique clonal signature in the blend. The result is a complex wine with a rich bouquet of cherries, berries and hints of spicy new oak. It has flavors reminiscent of black cherry, currant and strawberry, followed by a rich, spicy texture and a long silky finish. This wine pairs nicely with lamb, duck, even grilled fish, and will improve with additional cellaring for 2 to 5 years.
- Item #: i_274530Bottle Size: 750mlThe fruit for Sean Minor's Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir is a blend of Pommard and Dijon clones from carefully selected vineyards within the region. All grapes are hand-picked at night and early mornigs to keep the fruit at optimal temperatures. The fruit is then de-stemmed into bins and placed into open top fermenters. The fruit is cold-soaked for 3 days prior to initiating fermentation. Once fermentation begins, each tank is punched down two to three times per day to maintain consistent contact between the must and pommace throughout fermentation. Once the wine is fermented dry it is racked to barrels for completion of malo-lactic fermentation. The wine is aged 10 months in 100% French oak of which 20% is new.
The finished wine is medium-bodied with rich aromas of plu, cherry, green tea, and a slight clove spice. On entry, the wine has a lean entry with rich and sweet cherry and plum flavors framed by canilla and oak noets throughout the mid-palate. The spicy finish lingers on the palate.
- Item #: i_275490Bottle Size: 750mlSt. Innocent's Villages Cuvee is produced from Pinot Noir grapes grown in Oregon's northern Willamette Valley. Fruit from their estate vineyard - Zenith - and other sites are blended to create a Pinot noir that complements rich white meat and fish dishes. To enhance this match, winemaker Mark Vlossak blends to maximize both the spectrum of flavors and length on the palate while minimizing the use of new oak.
Heady aromas of sweet, ground spice, fresh berries and black cherries with hints of mint and moist earth. Dark red fruit flavors, loads of spice and white pepper burst onto your palate. This is followed by a richer dark berry compote, cigar box, and hints of Asian five spice. The overall impression is of impressive length and breadth as well as remarkable pungent flavors while embracing round tannins well into the finish. Drink now or over the next several years to watch it evolve
- Item #: i_266450Bottle Size: 750mlStoller Family Estate is the largest contiguous vineyard in Oregon’s Dundee Hills, spanning 398 acres, with approximately 210 under vine. The vineyard is divided into 101 meticulously-farmed sections at elevations ranging from 220 to 640 feet. Made with Stoller's estate Pinot Noir, this wine saw whole berry, native yeast fermentation before aging primarily in neutral French oak for nine months. Notes of bright red fruit, baking spice, cola and earth are met with silky tannins, layers of complexity and a lengthy finish — a classic representation of the Dundee Hills.
- Item #: i_273604Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine has complex yet delicate nose of white pepper, fig reduction, black raspberry, cardamom and prosciutto. Layered and packed with fruit, it is round with powdery tannins that are both balanced and concentrated.
- Item #: i_200027Bottle Size: 750mlThis vintage has not been scored yet but the last 8 vintages scored 90 points or above by the top Pinot Noir critics. Valerie's terroir driven one-acre Carneros vineyard has come of age and we think that vintage to vintage this one is another winner, very Burgundian. The winemaking and the attention to detail in the vineyard has never been better.
The 2017 extols a rich velvety mouth-feel and well balanced fruit, oak and tannins. The cherry/plum flavors blend with traditional Burgundian nuisances such as cola and tea. The French oak program of new and two-year old French oak from numerous makers has created a unique flavor profile and aging regimen. The wine lives no less than 18 months in the oak.
- Item #: i_280110Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir La Brisa is medium to deep ruby-purple with a lovely nose of rose petal, tangerine peel and potpourri with spicy black and blue fruits at the core. Medium-bodied with a lovely silky texture, it offers intense, concentrated spicy fruit with soft framing tannins and juicy acidity on the finish. 5,430 cases produced."