- Item #: i_251070Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of vineyards from Lake and Napa Counties. We find these diverse, high quality vineyards to compliment one another perfectly. Our high altitude rocky vineyard sites in Lake County deliver angularity, complexity and austerity while our Napa Valley fruit provides deep concentration and focus. This wine is dense and tremendously focused, with a wonderful nose and palate of cedar, blueberry, saddle leather and white pepper. The finish showcases a perfect balance of acid, tannin and sweet toasted oak. Meticulous, detail oriented winemaking and complete attention to detail has produced a wine of tremendous presence and complexity that must be tasted to be believed.
- Item #: i_202860Bottle Size: 750MLWhile this is typically a Cabernet Sauvignon-dominated blend, Merlot stole the show in 2012, so this year's blend is comprised of 52% Merlot, 27% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Cabernet Franc, 7% Petit Verdot, and 3% Malbec. Very deeply-colored, the aromas exude beautifully ripened red fruits accented by subtle spice notes. The mouthfeel is very soft and full expressing delicious flavors of ripe cherry and plum. The finish is well structured with soft tannins promising a long life for this superb bottle, similar to a fine Bordeaux.
- Item #: i_205510Bottle Size: 750mlWe feel that Bogle has one of the most solid wine portfolios in the business, and they prove that it doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg! The Bogle family has been farming since the mid 1800’s and their reputation has continued to grow. The fact that they want to sell wines that people can actually afford doesn’t hurt, either. Cabernet Sauvignon is a grape that takes its own sweet time, slowly lingering to ripen on the vine. We are rewarded by its reluctance.
Ripe cherries and vivid plums create a welcome first impression, while touches of earth tones and leather nestle themselves among the fruit. Sixteen months in American barrels have produced wisps of tobacco leaf and notes of spicy cigar box. With well-integrated tannins and a rich and round finish, this wine is sure to be a favorite.
- Item #: i_205820Bottle Size: 750MLWhat is Bonterra wine? It’s a family of bright, fresh and balanced varietals just as they’re meant to be. Our organic growing approach creates grapes that are pure, vibrant and intense in flavor. This provides our winemakers with the very best fruit from which to work. From there it is simply about delivering the best expression of that fruit from our vines to your glass.
- Item #: i_206425Bottle Size: 750mlRich, round and flush with flavor. Aromas of blackberry and cassis with hints of spice and toasted oak are complemented by flavors of plum, black cherry and soft oak tannins.
- Item #: i_208140Bottle Size: 750MLThe Cannonball dive is a dive for the people. It doesn't discriminate against body type, race, religion, political affiliation, social status, or fashion sense. And if you've never done a Cannonball, then you'd better just put this newsletter down (or turn off your computer), go find a body of water, and dive in! When you're jumping into the water on a beautiful summer day (or winter, if it's warm enough), with nothing on your mind except leaping high, balling up tight, and making a splash that is going to get as many people wet as possible, that moment you're in the air might be the best feeling you can have with your swimsuit on.
Now you may think that a wine company called Cannonball is not very serious. They actually address that: "True, we try not to take ourselves too seriously, but that's because wine should be enjoyable. Now don't get us wrong. We're serious about quality, honesty, and enjoying life. And, we're dead serious about spreading our love and passion for wine by offering great wines at great prices."
This is seriously delicious wine. The nose is aloft with earth, spice and fruit; strawberry tea, cherries, garden rose, a touch of bramble. The palate loads up more fruit with cherries in the fore, easy tannins, light acidity; this is bold but balanced wine. Mid-palate, we taste cocoa and oak, mixed berries like in a compote, with sweet cherry dominating the lengthy finish.
- Item #: i_212040Bottle Size: 750mlJust as Cabernet is considered by many to be the "king" of all red wines, the carnivore in nature similarly sits atop the food chain. This Carnivor is a great Cab for the holidays-- it is bold, brash, but still very balanced wine. Carnivor starts and stays big: the nose is loaded with red and dark fruits with a touch of pepper/brown spices and earth. The palate continues with forward fruit (cherry and plum), more spice, earth, baker's chocolate and a soupcon of espresso. Following fermentation, Merlot was added to the wine, lending a touch of finesse to the power and structure of the Cabernet Sauvignon. Appropriate acidity keeps the palate from becoming cloying. The finish is long and rich with reverberations of fruit and earth. A large portion of the fruit for the Carnivor came from select vineyards in Lodi, where daytime heat and delta cooling in the evening help to produce intense ripe fruit.
Carnivor is a fantastic Cab-- it drinks way above its price point, has plenty of depth with ample fruit, earth and spice in its profile, has the backbone to pair with foods (and the fruit to enjoy solo) and will be a definite crowd-pleaser. It's good to be the king!
- Item #: i_212415Bottle Size: 750mlColby Red is a delicious red wine dedicated to raising funds for cardiac research. It is a unique blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Syrah, Petite Sirah and Merlot that is rich and smooth.
This wine is named in honor of Colby Rex Groom, 16 year old son of Winemaker Daryl and Lisa Groom, who just prior to his 10th birthday underwent back to back open-heart surgeries. Colby is now living a healthy and happy life. With your support, over $1,000,000 is expected to be raised and donated to the American Heart Association and other Heart Health causes through sales of Colby Red.Now $1,500,OOO (12/12/2019)
"Colby Red is a wine for sheer delicious enjoyment. While it's a great wine with food, it tastes best in the company of good friends and family, savored with an appreciation of the gifts each moment brings." — Daryl Groom, Winemaker
- Item #: i_227420Bottle Size: 750mlGuenoc is part of the Langtry Estate, purchased by well-known personality and actress Lillie Langtry (1853-1929) in 1888. The Langtry Estate is located in the picturesque Guenoc Valley of Lake County, CA. With over 23,000 acres of land (Lillie’s initial purchase was for 4,200 acres), Langtry’s vast property spans throughout Lake County and into the northern tip of Napa Valley.
The Guenoc Lake County Wines are produced at their Lake County Winery from primarily estate grown fruit. Known as perennial “best buys”, these wines deliver the goods when it comes to quality-- and once the wine buyers tasted it, we knew we had “The One” when this was featured as a "Wine of the Month" (we’re suckers for excellent juice at fair prices!).
The nose on this California Cab is classic California-- plenty of ripe red fruits, cherries, redcurrant, with a layer of carob/chocolate and earthy dust. In the mouth, the fruit flavors are quite forward, with sweet cherries again in the lead, as cherry cousins (cola, lambic, Kirsch) tag along. Acidity is ample and keeps the sweet fruit honest as a hint of rose petal and more loamy earth and a brush of cocoa expands the profile. This is both an easy-drinker and comfy quaffer-- but it also keeps one foot in the erudite row of wine profiles with depth and range of flavors, full frontal acidity and smooth tannins.
- Item #: i_245500Bottle Size: 750MLIn a world where our competitors use the term too loosely, this wine truly is one that over delivers vis-à-vis its price point! Sourced from prime vineyards throughout California, Heavyweight packs quite a punch for the money, making it a Cabernet that will rival bottlings well above its small asking price. It is a knockout of a wine, with a dark ruby/garnet color, and rich, ripe, vibrant aromas of cherry, currant, raspberries, vanilla, and crème de cassis. Flamboyant and fruit-driven, the flavors of boysenberry, raspberry, cherry, and oak are brought together by additions of Syrah and Zin, giving the wine a touch of spice, richness, and soft, silky tannins.
- Item #: i_274420Bottle Size: 750mlThis only the 5th time that Russel From has made Bolt Cutter. This wine is a swerve from the historically Rhone focus of Herman Story. The name is a playful nod to Russel P. From's most iconic wine: Nuts and Bolts. This is Herman Story for the "I only drink Napa Cab" crowd.
A blend of 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Petit Verdot, and 25% Syrah, Russel writes his tasting notes like a story. This one goes "You know him only by his ring name, Rage, but he just took home the bare-knuckle brawling belt in a vicious onslaught of left jabs and right hooks. Still bleeding from his eye, he exits the makeshift parking lot ring, flips off the crowd, and hops in his black-on-black Silverado. On the way home, he picks up his lavender-shampooed Bichon Frise from the groomer, a dozen roses for his wife, and the poet laureate's newest chapbook. He's got a bookshelf next to his barbells and a spice garden not far from his speed bag, where he eats plums and sips kopi luwak coffee. You might think that makes him soft, but you wouldn't dare say it to his face."
- Item #: i_230680Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of Merlot, Valdiguie, Tempernillo, and Syrah, "GEN RED" is Hitching Post's blend of grapes from several vineyards along the Central Coast. This vintage is mostly Merlot that lends roundness and drinkability, with Tempernillo for richness, Syrah and Valdiguie for spice and fruit.
- Item #: i_226230Bottle Size: 750MLSourced from Napa Valley, Mendocino, Paso Robles, and Lake County, Joel makes the wine with the guiding eye of his wife, Sarah (who has worked at Gloria Ferrer, Joseph Phelps, and Quintessa). The dark garnet colored wine starts off with a big nose of cherry, currant, and vanilla, leading to similar flavors on the palate, with spicy oak joining the mix. This Cab balances ripe, rich fruit with good tannin, and is able to be drank on its own, or paired with a variety of foods. Simply put, it’s quite a value for Cabernet!
- Item #: i_232615Bottle Size: 750mlThe bouquet on this wine is rich with dark fruits, cinnamon, clove and toasty oak flavors. The wine is juicy on the palate with blackcurrant and blackberry flavors prominent, accented by roasted almonds, vanilla and hazelnuts, finishing long with fine, firm tannins.
- Item #: i_276500Bottle Size: 750MLThe Layer Cake team has the same (yet much harder) goal for their Cabernet Sauvignon as their other red wines; find great vineyards that allow them to make rich, delicious wines that cost less than $20, but taste like they cost more! By sourcing fruit from two great vineyards (one in Alexander Valley and the other in Paso Robles), they were able to make a wine that expresses the concentration, complexity, and richness Layer Cake fans have come to expect.
The vineyard in Alexander Valley is a classic example of the appellation. Partially comprised of an ancient volcanic eruption of Mt. St. Helena that laid down multiple layers of ash and rock, cool air pours in from the Pacific each afternoon allowing the fruit to hang late in the season, while maintaining acidity that is bright and fresh. The vineyard in Paso Robles is sprawled over rolling hills, with deep roots combined with long, warm days give the wine rich, dense black fruit aromas and mouth-filling flavors.
This 100% Cabernet Sauvignon was aged entire in French Oak barrels (of which 30% were new) to create a perfectly balanced and complex wine at an everyday price. This wine jumps from the glass with aromas of ripe Bing cherries and blackberries plus cedar and maduro tobacco. Deep layers of spice-infused dark fruit fill the mouth, with a rich, creamy layered texture, and powerful structure. Flavors of chocolate and espresso continue through the long, lingering finish.
- Item #: i_275832Bottle Size: 750mlLine 39's Cabernet Sauvignon exhibits rich fruit flavors of currant, blackberry, and ripe plum with hints of black tea on the palate. The wine finishes with subtle, smooth tannins that don't overpower this easy-to-drink Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Item #: i_245010Bottle Size: 750mlInspired by the age-old method of using cuttings from idyllic sites for the propagation of new vines, this Cabernet Sauvignon showcases some of our favorite hillside vineyards. Cuttings combines the deep, intense flavor of Cabernet Sauvignon with the structure and richness of Petite Sirah and Syrah. A small amount of Zinfandel adds a nice layer of complexity and spiciness. Deliciously smooth with flavors of blueberry, dark cherry, and cocoa. Aromas of fresh roasted coffee, black currant, vanilla bean, brown spice, and wild berries. 80% Cabernet Sauvignon; 20% Blend of Petite Sirah, Syrah, and Zinfandel.
- Item #: i_279560Bottle Size: 750mlWilliam Hill's North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon has a rich palate of dark fruit flavors, with subtle hints of caramel and cocoa. The Sonoma and Napa fruit gave this wine its ripe blackberry and black cherry flavors, while the grapes from Lake and Mendocino brought tremendous structure and presence to the blend. This Cabernet, which was blended with a touch of Merlot to round out the mouthfeel, will reveal more complex layers with time in the bottle.