Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the world's most widely recognized red wine grape varieties. It is grown in nearly every major wine producing country among a diverse spectrum of climates from Canada's Okanagan Valley to Lebanon's Beqaa Valley. Cabernet Sauvignon became internationally recognized through its prominence in Bordeaux wines where it is often blended with Merlot and Cabernet Franc. From France, the grape spread across Europe and to the New World where it found new homes in places like California's Santa Cruz Mountains, Napa Valley, New Zealand's Hawkes Bay, Australia's Margaret River and Coonawarra regions and Chile's Maipo Valley and Colchagua. The classic profile of Cabernet Sauvignon tends to be full-bodied wines with high tannins and noticeable acidity that contributes to the wine's aging potential. In cooler climates, Cabernet Sauvignon tends to produce wines with blackcurrant notes that can be accompanied by green bell pepper notes, mint and cedar which will all become more pronounced as the wine ages. In more moderate climates the blackcurrant notes are often seen with black cherry and black olives notes while in very hot climates the current flavors can veer towards the over-ripe and "jammy" side.
- Item #: i_208030Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Coming from estate fruit on Howell Mountain and made from 88% Cabernet Sauvignon and 4% each of Malbec, Petit Verdot, and Merlot, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate offers a darker, more mineral-driven style compared to the Napa release. It has beautiful blackcurrant, cassis, forest floor, graphite, and tobacco leaf-like aromas and flavors. Deep, full-bodied, beautifully polished and elegant, it's another remarkable effort from this team. As Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon goes, it's a brilliant value!"
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Cade Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, blended with 4% Malbec, 4% Petit Verdot and 4% Merlot, is deep garnet-purple colored and a little closed, slowly giving up warm cassis, blackberry tart and mulberries with touches of spice box, pencil shavings and Marmite toast. The full-bodied palate is firm, grainy and muscular with an earthy expression and just enough freshness, finishing on a lingering mineral note."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is a dense, chewy Howell Mountain wine. A blast of black cherry, plum, licorice, smoke, leather, bittersweet chocolate, spice and tobacco hit the palate. The 2017 is bold and immediate in feel, but it also has plenty of structure. I would give it a few years to soften but this is a potent, brooding wine with a bright future."
- Item #: i_214880Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsThe greatness of DAOU Mountain was foretold many decades ago when renowned winemaking authority Andre Tchelistcheff hailed it as "A JEWEL OF ECOLOGICAL ELEMENTS."
The calcareous clay soil here is comparable to Bordeaux's Right Bank, while the buffered Pacific microclimate is similar to Saint Helena-- a perfect confluence of elements. DAOU Mountain is blessed with extraordinary phenolic output, yielding some of the darkest, most deeply textured wines in the world. These wines are never acidified, as the ideal level of acidity comes naturally.
"Our wines are natural and pure: handpicked, hand-made and always free of artificial additives." All fruit from DAOU Mountain is handpicked, then sorted both by human eye and cutting-edge optical technology to ensure absolute fruit purity. Using only 100 percent free run juice, Winemaker Daniel Daou initiates fermentation with native yeasts cultivated from the estate. Each fermentation is customized by measuring phenolic composition and using sensory analysis, enabling Daniel to orchestrate natural balance and texture.
"We are committed to multifaceted sustainable practices that have earned our vineyard SIP (Sustainability in Practice) certification. The flavors and aromas you experience in DAOU wines originate from the earth and are poured into each bottle with an acute mindfulness for human and environmental well-being. ”
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion is a blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Cabernet Franc and 8% Petit Verdot aged 22 months in 100% new French oak. It has a deep ruby-purple color and wonderfully unique expression, with scents of forest floor, underbrush, English breakfast tea, espresso, blackcurrant bud, dark chocolate and exotic flowers mingling over a core of perfectly ripe wild blackberries and Morello cherries, all complemented by a classy framing of new oak spices. The medium to full-bodied palate is slow to unfurl, with a frame like liquid silk and a very long finish that gives up layer after layer of nuanced flavors. Wow!"
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion offers a forward, bona fide fruit bomb style yet has plenty of class. A sweet nose of cassis, Asian spice, cedar box, and chocolate gives way to a full-bodied, hedonistic 2017 that stays balanced and layered. This cuvee always delivers and the 2017 is just an incredible drink."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95-96 POINTS - "Inky ruby. Primary dark berry, cherry pit and pipe tobacco aromas are complemented by hints of vanillin oak, mocha and baking spices. Broad and fleshy in the mouth, offering sweet black cherry and cassis flavors and suggestions of dark chocolate, espresso and vanilla. Becomes smokier with air and finishes with superb clarity and strong, spicy persistence. (raised in new French oak barrels for 22 months)"
- Item #: i_220015Bottle Size: 1.5LCrafted by perhaps the #1 undiscovered talent in Napa today, winemaker Benoit Touguette, was Andy Erickson's right hand man, managing day-to-day wine production at Screaming Eagle during the 2005/2006 vintages (both 98 points) and the legendary 2007 vintage (100 points). Benoit also happens to be the French protege of world-famous winemaker Michel Rolland and assisted him along with Andy Erickson in launching Ovid. Today, Benoit is leveraging his substantial talent and connections in Napa to craft just five barrels of a glorious micro-production Cabernet under his new personal label he calls Fait Main which means "hand-crafted" in French. The fruit for this Cabernet Sauvignon comes from prime vineyards in Pritchard Hill, Saint Helena, Calistoga, Oakville, and Yountville.
- Item #: i_219760Bottle Size: 750mlThe Martin Stelling Vineyard, located behind the winery in Oakville, is the cornerstone of Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon. Planted on some of the most beautiful, gravelly loam soil in the Napa Valley, the vineyard uniformly produces wines with supple tannins, bright, forward fruit, and beautiful tannin structure.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled is blended of 95.5% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3.25% Petit Verdot and 0.25% Malbec. Deep purple-black colored, it has pronounced black currant pastilles, black cherry compote and red currant preserves notes with touches of dried herbs, unsmoked cigars and fallen leaves plus a waft of cedar. Medium to full-bodied, it has a firm texture of grainy tannins and oodles of freshness supporting the muscular black fruit, finishing with an herbal lift."
- Item #: i_219740Bottle Size: 750mlPlease Note: This is the Napa Valley bottling; NOT the Oakville!!
Lifted aromas of boysenberry and dark cherry with bright floral notes and hints of sweet toasted oak that jump from the glass at the very first swirl. A silky and lush entry with boysenberry and cherry flavors, light hint of dusty earth and spiced oak, refined and smooth tannins for a long juicy finish.
- Item #: i_277570Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Lastly, the 2017 Estate Cuvee shows the effects of the heat spikes and has some firm, angular tannins that are buffered by lots of blackcurrant fruit. It has classic graphite, licorice, and lead pencil aromas, medium to full body, and good length, yet it's certainly not going to make you forget this brilliant 2016. Nevertheless, my money is on it being an outstanding wine."
- Item #: i_204700Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "From a single vineyard in Calistoga, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Amoenus isn't far off what the estate produced in 2016. It's a pure, full-bodied, powerful 2017 that does everything right. Loads of blueberries, cassis, Asian spice, and flowery incense define the bouquet, and it has a pure, classic, focused style on the palate. I love its purity of fruit, it has ripe, present tannins, and while it needs 2-3 years of bottle age, it's going to evolve gracefully for 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_251170Bottle Size: 750mlPilcrow was founded by wine-industry veteran Sara Beer. Raised in the United States by European parents, Sara discovered her passion for food, wine, and travel early in life. Taking on the role of winemaker was a new one for Sara. She has been the grateful beneficiary of tremendous tutoring from many role models, mentors, and friends. Her role models include those who have made some of the great wines dotting the hillsides of the Napa Valley; think Mayacamas, Diamond Creek, and Dunn. Her mentors include some of the most thoughtful vintners in both the new world and the old, including John Williams, Jean-Michel Comme, and Jean-Nicolas Meo. Her friends—including Marco DiGiulio, Keith Emerson and Toshiaki Wakayama—have helped define, challenge, and develop the wine itself.
The Ghost Block vineyard is a unicorn of sorts, being a "mountain" vineyard on the valley floor. The old vines of Ghost Block sit on the side of Yountville Hill—a mountaintop that formerly resided high above the Stags Leap District in the Vaca Mountains. Some eight million years ago, in a cataclysmic event, a portion of the Vacas toppled, tossing a peak to the west. This relocated peak (Yountville Hill) got turned on its side, revealing a unique, vertical bedding of rarely-everexposed Napa Tertiary Volcanics. Ghost Block Cabernet Sauvignon interprets this soil construct with soft, plush tannins and nervous, bright acidity. Downvalley cool mornings add a touch of black tea and rose petal to the varietal traits of blackberry and cassis, all wrapped in old-Napa elegance.
- Item #: i_275830Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate from this great estate checks in as 89% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Malbec, and 3% Petit Verdot. Its deep, saturated purple color is followed by a beautiful bouquet of blueberries, red plums, toasted spices, incense, and pen ink. This is a big, rich, pedal-to-the-metal beauty that stays remarkably well-balanced, has notable freshness and purity, and sweet tannins, which can be hard to find in the 2017 vintage. It's an undeniable success."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is a gorgeous wine that captures all of the natural intensity of the year. Super-ripe dark cherry, plum, mocha, licorice and leather all flesh out in the glass. Ample, creamy and generous, the Estate is terrific from the very first taste. In this vintage, the Estate is not too far off from the Reserve. Best of all the Estate will drink well with minimal cellaring. Rose petal, mint and cinnamon notes add brightness as the wine opens in the glass."
- Item #: i_277530Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsAfter more than a decade of "visits" to the wine country to purchase hand crafted boutique wines, and to enjoy the spectacular scenery, Steve Nordhoff, and a group of close friends decided to start the journey of creating a wine project that reflects their passion, past experiences, and love for Napa and Sonoma. If you have ever been to the Napa, Steve's story needs very little explanation as most visitors catch "the fever" upon arrival. But with Steve's numerous years of collecting many of the wines produced around the world, his educated palate would be what sets his story apart; he has gained the knowledge of what separates truly world class wine, and what makes a nice wine.
Steve wants world class! With the help of friends, and with his winemaker being Thomas Brown (who also makes the wine at Pulido-Walker, Maybach, Outpost, and Schrader), the Riverain wines are truly on their way to stun the wine world! This bottling comes from the Tench Vineyard in eastern Oakville (bordering Screaming Eagle and Rudd).
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Coming from the Tench Vineyard in Oakville, the deep purple-hued 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon offers a rocking bouquet of sweet black fruits interwoven with lots of chocolate, iron, black olives and an almost marine-like nuance that always seems to be present in wines from this vineyard. Medium to full-bodied, concentrated, and textured, it has silky tannins and is a straight-up brilliant Cabernet. Drink it over the coming 15-20 years."