South African wine has a history dating back to 1659 with Constantia, a vineyard near Cape Town, being considered one of the greatest wines in the world. Access to international markets has unleashed a burst of new energy and new investment. Production is concentrated around Cape Town, with major vineyard and production centers at Paarl, Stellenbosch and Worcester. There are about 60 appellations within the Wine of Origin (WO) system, which was implemented in 1973 with a hierarchy of designated production regions, districts and wards. WO wines must be made 100% from grapes from the designated area. "Single vineyard" wines must come from a defined area of less than 5 hectares. An "Estate Wine" can come from adjacent farms, as long as they are farmed together and wine is produced on site. A ward is an area with a distinctive soil type or climate, and is roughly equivalent to a European appellation. The grape varieties in South Africa are known as cultivar, with many common international varieties.
- Item #: i_378947Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST BEST BUY - "There's a strong green, herbal edge to the nose of this refreshing white, expressed in waves of lime peel, peppery herbs and green bean. The lightweight and direct palate offers pithy citrus tones that lend a pleasant astringency to the tart finish. Enjoy now."
- Item #: i_377599Bottle Size: 750ml"Our low-vigour, stony, clay-rich soil, cool maritime mesoclimate, naturally tiny yields of well under 35 hl/ha and our philosophy of expressing our terroir in our wines – give rise to a certain tightness, tannin line and elevated length to balance the richness and generosity of our Pinot noir. Our Pinot noir is not overtly fruity, soft and "sweet" and it generally shows hints of that alluring savoury "primal" character along with a dark, spicy, complex primary fruit perfume."
Aged 10 months in mostly lightly toasted French oak, about 1/3 new.
- Item #: i_381664Bottle Size: 750mlThis MAN thing all began with three friends and an idea: to make a wine that we ourselves would love to buy. Good quality, good value, good packaging. Not exactly an epiphany, but enough to motivate us into action. What do we name it? Keeping peace in the family, we took the first initials of our wives. (We each have one wife, that is.) So this is how we explained to Marie, Anette, and Nicky that we were going to be "busy" most weekends. It's for you! we told them. And it's mostly true. But MAN is not only about woMAN, it is about MANkind and huMANity as well. Remember, Africa is the cradle of MAN! For those of you that have experienced South Africa, it won't be a surprise if we state (objectively) that this is the most heavenly spot on earth. The winelands are stunning, with dramatic mountains, lush rolling vineyards, and that African blue sky. Taste a bit of Africa!"
Winemaker notes - The richest and fullest white wine in the M·A·N range, we've won fans with the very delicate oak flavours that are complemented by prominent fruit flavours and butterscotch notes. After a great deal of experimentation, we found the perfect balance by fermenting 10-20% of the wine in small American oak barrels, and keeping the rest of the wine on the lees for up to six months. Complex yet elegant, we're very proud of this grown-up Chardonnay.
- Item #: i_380584Bottle Size: 750MLA crisp, expressive, medium-bodied wine. Vibrant aromas of quince and tropical fruit. On the palate, fresh stone fruit and apple flavors are backed by refreshing acidity and minerality. A versatile food wine that will pair well with poultry, shellfish and vegetable dishes.
- Item #: i_377147Bottle Size: 750mlPinotage is a red wine grape that is South Africa's signature variety. It is a viticultural cross of two varieties of the Vitis Vinifera varieties of Pinot Noir and Cinsault, which occurred in 1925. Cinsault was known as 'Hermitage' in South Africa during that time, hence the Portmanteau name of Pinotage. Southern Right is a small Pinotage and Sauvignon Blanc project created by Anthony Hamilton Russell in the cool, maritime, Hemel-en-Aarde Valley appellation of South Africa. The wines are named after the rare Southern Right whales, which frequent the cool South Atlantic Walker Bay. Southern Right's aim was to produce a serious, age-worthy Pinotage combining a distinct South African grape variety with great flavor, classic styling and refinement.
Southern Right has elevated South Africa's red grape variety and is easily the best-selling Pinotage we carry at Hi-Time. In fact, this is the best Pinotage we have ever tasted! If you’ve been looking to try something new, this Pinotage is firing on all cylinders and is a great way to broaden your horizons! This wine is seriously dark in color, almost opaque. The complex nose includes essences of black cherry, toasty notes, spices, pekoe tea, and exotic purple flowers. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied and extremely balanced with black cherry, black raspberry and a smoky minerality. There is excellent balance and persistence from the initial taste, continuing through the mid-palate and culminating in a very long finish.