Hungarian wine has a history dating back to at least Roman times. Outside of Hungary, the best-known wines are the white dessert wine Tokaji and the red wine Bull's Blood of Eger (Egri Bikavér). Hungary's most famous wine region lies in the foothills of the Zemplén Mountains of the far north of the country - in fact the traditional area crosses into the southeast corner of modern Slovakia. The area is notable for its long warm autumns and mists that come in from the River Bodrog, creating perfect conditions for noble rot. This can contribute towards creating the botrytised ('aszú') grapes for which the region is famous. These are individually picked as late as mid-November into buckets ('puttonyos') and crushed to a paste. Varying amounts of this aszú paste are then added to non-aszú must or wine made from a mix of Furmint, Hárslevelű, Muscat Blanc à Petits Grains, Kövérszőlő or Zéta grapes, and left to ferment. The resulting wine is then aged in relatively small barrels in a labyrinth of cellars in the soft volcanic tuff, on whose walls thick blankets of fungus regulate the humidity.
- Item #: i_372356Bottle Size: 750mlEgervary's 2011 Szekszardi Bikaver is made from 30% Cabernet Sauvignon; 25% Kekfrankos (Blaufrankisch); 10% Cabernet Franc and 10% Merlot.
Bikavér is a traditional, Kékfrankos based blend of international and native varieties. A straightforward, fruit driven wine with ripe dark berry fruit character and soft, spicy, smoky overtones.
Food recommandation: pork, beef, wild boar and fowl
- Item #: i_372370Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Our aim is to produce some of the finest white wines of the world. We have all the potential. The unique, high profile local variety, the Furmint, and the world’s most complex mineral bedrocks providing unique taste and structure for the wines produced in the right philosophy. Everything is happening in the vineyards. The target is to harvest perfectly ripe healthy grapes which express the particular character of the growing area. We apply strict yield control therefore minerality can be expressed. For fresh style we avoid oxidation from harvest to ageing thus the wine in the bottle is capable to show the unique character of the vineyards of Mád."
- Item #: i_374811Bottle Size: 500mlWine Spectator: 90Hungary’s sweet Tokaji (Tokay) wines have been considered one of the world’s greatest dessert wines since at least the Middle Ages. Wines labeled Aszú are made from late harvest, botrytis-affected Furmint and Harslevelu grapes with a small percentage of Muscat. 5 Puttonyos indicates the richness and sweetness level of this impressive wine.
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "The apricot, kumquat and honey flavors are tinged by lanolin in this medium-sweet white. Racy acidity keeps this fresh and lively on the lingering aftertaste. Drink now through 2020."
- Item #: i_342359Bottle Size: 500mlMore intense, this wine is produced from the company's 1st growth vineyards. Blended from declassified wines, quantities are always dependent on the quality of each vintage. As in all aszu wines, the three grape varieties are Furmint, Hárslevelu and Muscat de Lunel. The characteristics are a vivid gold colour with honeyed apricot and orange peel flavours which are uplifted with dramatic acidity.
Lovely, bright, old gold appearance. Elegant and well-integrated of spices, honey, honey- suckle and acacia. Develops on the palate into a complex array of exotic fruits with a finish of tremendous length.
- Item #: i_300034Bottle Size: 500mlHungary's remarkable Tokaj region has enjoyed royal patronage for 400 years. From the country's most exciting cellar, this is a divine sweet white - not a traditional Tokaji but a Late Harvest wine with intense honeyed fruit and brilliant freshness.