The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: i_379944Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Even bigger, richer and darker than the 2015, the 2016 Anaperenna Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon is 84% Shiraz and 16% Cabernet. These are not wines for fans of shy, delicate wines, but neither are they clumsy fruit bombs. This is pleasantly multifaceted, with complex notes ranging from charred beef, black olive and asphalt to blackberries and cassis, all underscored by loam, vanilla and cedar. Full-bodied (15.5% alcohol), it's hugely ripe but balanced, with supple tannins and enough acidity on the long, velvety finish to balance the ledger."
From the warm, northern district of Ebenezer in the Barossa Valley, Shiraz vines up to 130-years-old produce concentrated grapes with depth of flavor and complexity. Cabernet is 30-130 year old vines.
The first Glaetzers settled in Australia’s Barossa Valley in 1888, after emigrating from Brandenburg, Germany, bringing with them a passion for winemaking. Over a century later, winemaking patriarch Colin Glaetzer established Glaetzer Wines.
Ben Glaetzer, son of Colin, heads up the winemaking team today. He is committed to expressing the purity of fruit; using minimal intervention techniques, Ben produces ultra-premium wines that are unmistakably Barossan, yet markedly elegant.
- Item #: i_301684Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Deep crimson with ruby hues. Attractive aromas of spiced plum, red currant and blue and black berry fruits are met with floral nuances of violets and black pepper spice. The round, supple palate is filled with juicy blue and red fruits, spiced plum, liquorice and notes of crushed tarragon, with beautifully textured svelte tannins and a long, peppery finish."
Blend: 66% Shiraz, 15% Grenache, 10% Mataro, 9% Viognier
- Item #: i_377252Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine is a spectacular example of how Shiraz, Merlot and Cabernet can be blended together to create flavors that complement each other so well. Lavish aromas of chocolate, cherry and vanilla cream, lead to a palate of deep plum, spice and liquorice. With soft, integrated tannins and lingering flavors, this is an opulent wine and seriously delicious.
- Item #: i_383659Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of shiraz and cabernet from the Hunter Valley, with the shiraz sourced from premium vineyards on the Tyrrell's property and Moon Mountain vineyard and the cabernet coming from Pokolbin. All of the components were fermented and matured separately until blending. After blending the wine was put back into French oak barriques, 30% of which were new, until bottling. The wine was predominately matured in smaller 225L barriques. As always with Vat 8, we see much darker fruits and some chocolate characters in the wine, along with the extra element of spice from the higher percentage of new oak.
- Item #: i_380580Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 95Wine Enthusiast: 94 Points77% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Malbec, & 7% Petit Verdot
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Love the aromas of fresh mushrooms, flowers and currants. Pops out of the glass. Full body, very tight in the center palate but that takes off at the finish. Tangy and vivid acidity gives focus and life to this wine. What a wine. Screw cap. Drink or hold."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "Although it's full-bodied and lush, it's by no means the world's biggest or ripest Cabernet blend. Instead, it's impeccably balanced and gentle, serving up cassis, vanilla and a touch of baking spices in generous swirls that reach a crescendo on the long finish. Drink now–2030."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2012 Heytesbury was the first vintage winemaker Virginia Willcock used only indigenous yeasts for the ferment, which she says has added "life" to the wine. The blend...is indeed lively, showing vibrant notes of cassis framed by hints of menthol, vanilla and tight tannins. It's medium to full in body yet avoids any sense of jamminess or excessive weight, finishing long and fine."
Heytesbury is a blend of the best barrels from the best batches of old-vine Cabernet Sauvignon and small parcels of Petit Verdot and Malbec. The Margaret River Wine Region is positioned on a cape that is surrounded by ocean on three sides in the south-west corner of Australia. Unique to the Margaret River region is a system ofnatural sea breezes and currents that help regulate the variance between seasonal temperatures, reducing extreme cold and heat within the vineyards. These cooling breezes steady the ripening process for the development of physiologically balanced grapes with concentrated fruit flavors. Heytesbury shows incredible elegance and finesse with silky smooth tannins.
Deep purple fading to a ruby rim. On the nose, the wine is very aromatic with violet florals leading the way. Currants, black cherry, cedar, sassafras root, eucalyptol and exotic spices tantalize. On the palate, the wine is dry and full-bodied, yet well-balanced with fine matured tannins. The flavors mirror the aromatics with crème de cassis, black cherry and blackberries leading the way. Savory spices and a hint of vanillin culminate in a seamless, lingering finish. This wine shows incredible balance, complexity, intensity and length. Well done!
- Item #: i_382795Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 9250% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Shiraz, 13% Merlot
This is a seriously delicious wine for the price that will satisfy full-bodied wine lovers who enjoy the cocoa and vanilla notes that come with well-judged use of oak, and a crushed velvet texture that has softened since Suckling tasted it!
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A dense and chewy wine with lots of chocolate, berry and hints of herbs. Full body, tannic and flavorful...Try in 2019 [and on]."
WINERY NOTES - "Deep plum in color with vivid red hues. Lifted cassis and leaf with cedar and clove spice. The fragrant cabernet sauvignon dominates with bright red fruits and plums. The palate is rich and generous with plush dark fruits. The red and black currants, Satsuma plums and raspberries are balanced by fine savory tannins and cedary oak."