Argentina is the fifth largest producer of wine in the world. Argentine wine, as with some aspects of Argentine cuisine, has its roots in Spain. The wines started being exported during the 1990s, and are currently growing in popularity, making it now the largest wine exporter in South America. The most important wine regions of the country are located in the provinces of Mendoza, San Juan and La Rioja. Salta, Catamarca, Río Negro and more recently Southern Buenos Aires are also wine producing regions. The Mendoza province produces more than 60% of the Argentine wine. Due to the high altitude and low humidity of the main wine producing regions, Argentine vineyards rarely face the problems of insects, fungi, molds and other grape diseases that affect vineyards in other countries. This allows cultivating with little or no pesticides, enabling even organic wines to be easily produced. There are many different varieties of grapes cultivated in Argentina, reflecting the country's many immigrant groups. The French brought Malbec, which makes most of Argentina's best known wines. The Italians brought vines that they called Bonarda, although Argentine Bonarda appears to be the Douce noir of Savoie, also known as Charbono in California. It has nothing in common with the light fruity wines made from Bonarda Piemontese in Piedmont. Torrontés is another typically Argentine grape and is mostly found in the provinces of La Rioja, San Juan, and Salta. Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Chardonnay and other international varieties are becoming more widely planted.
- Item #: 350251Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2007 Finca Mirador was sourced from a 13-acre parcel in Medrano planted in 1921. The yields for this wine were 0.9 tons per acre with the wine aged for 15 months in new French oak. Purple-colored with a superb display of toasty new oak, lilacs, spice box, black cherry, and black raspberry, on the palate it sports an elegant personality, savory flavors, underlying structure, and a lengthy, 45-second finish. It, too, will drink well from 2013 to 2022."
- Item #: 378352Bottle Size: 750mlAlamos crafts quality wines from Argentina, offering the best of the country's high altitude vineyards at an incredible value. Alamos grapes are grown at the foothills of the Andes Mountains at elevations of 3,000 to 6,000 feet, where intense sunlight, cool evening temperatures and mineral-rich irrigation from mountain snowmelt translate to bright aromatics and rich flavors. Alamos Chardonnay offers flavors of ripe apple, apricot and peach with layers of tropical fruit. Oak aging lent this wine aromas and flavors of brown spice and butterscotch, creating a full mouthfeel and lingering finish.
- Item #: 377778Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A medium-bodied red with firm tannins and a fresh and clean finish. Really intense and flavorful. Lovely balance and finesse. One of the best deals out there."
The purple-colored Malbec Blend contains 5% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Bonarda. The wine was aged in French and American oak. It offers up a nose of cedar, black cherry, and plum leading to a dense wine with plenty of savory black fruit flavor, a forward personality, and good length.
This organic wine is stored in American and French oak barrels for nine months; a quarter of this time is spent in new oak barrels. Rich dark violet colour. Intense aroma of dark berries and plums. The taste has elegant tones of concentrated fruit, coffee and tannins.
- Item #: 383919Bottle Size: 750mlThis superb Bonarda offers a nose of intense raspberries with light floral notes. Ripe red berry flavors are combined with a touch of vanilla and lead into a soft, round finish. This wine is perfect as an accompaniment to vegetable and mushroom risottos, pasta with rag
- Item #: 377824Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Aromas of spices, smoke, berries and bark follow through to a medium body, medium round tannins and a wonderful finish. Love the finish of this, which gives a hint of walnuts, dark tea and ripe fruit. Very sophisticated. A blend of Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon."
Bodegas Caro was born of an alliance between two wine cultures, (French and Argentine), two noble grape varieties, (Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec), and two royal families of winemaking, (Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) and Nicolas Catena.) The name of the winery, Bodegas Caro is a contraction of the two family names, CAtena and ROthschild. Their plan was to produce a wine that would combine their expertise and the signature grapes of each producer. Together, these families have made a wine which delivers immediate gratification and can also be cellared over the mid-term.
Malbec is a powerful, exuberant fruity grape variety that benefits from the structure and elegance given by the Cabernet. These two grape varieties go well together with the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Bodegas Caro has succeeded in making a wine that is flat-out gorgeous and immensely satisfying.
- Item #: 380678Bottle Size: 750MLDense violet and plum. Dark berries, cherry and cocoa on the nose. Excellent structure with fruit notes of cherry and cassis; medium-bodied with balanced, persistent tannins. A Lisa is a very versatile wine that can be enjoyed by itself, with pasta, red or white meat, or even fish.
- Item #: 380185Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 93Winemaker Notes - "Intense Bordeaux color with brilliant violet hues. Fresh prunes aromas, dry figs and blackberries. Barrel aromas such as tobacco, vanilla and cedarwood. Sweet and velvety tannins. Great volume and body. Cacao, dark chocolate and subtle coffee notes can be found on its long lasting finish. Pairs perfectly with stews, meat, hard cheese, grilled meat, casseroles, pasta, pizza, spicy dishes and desserts."
Blend: 81% Malbec, 11% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Bonarda
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Tight and focused with chewy yet polished tannins and a lovely texture. Shows tension and intensity. Medium to full body. Flavorful finish. Drink now or hold."
- Item #: 381264Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker Notes - "The Catena Cabernet Franc Appellation El Cepillo presents a purple color with red ruby tones. The nose offers elegant aromas of spices, and fresh herbs as thyme and rosemary, red berries, cassis and raspberries, with layers of cedar. The mouthfeel is full and rich with cassis, raspberries flavors and notes of black pepper and oregano . The finish is bright and fresh with finely grained tannins. This versatile wine is fantastic paired with rich meat dishes such as stews and braises, Latin dishes with heat and a little kick such as enchiladas or moles and lamb dishes and tomato based pasta and sauces."
- Item #: 377329Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This deep and layered white shows sliced apple, cream and stone flavors. Full body. Dense yet fresh. Long and flavorful."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The super fresh and elegant 2015 Catena Alta Chardonnay has penetrating aromas and I could swear I smelled wet stones, a soil-driven white that feels cleaner and sharper than the 2014. The palate has electric acidity, moderate alcohol and great freshness. It finishes with an austere, mineral-driven sensation. It would be fun to put this wine as a ringer in a blind white Burgundy tasting..."
- Item #: 377265Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91James Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Aromas of blackberry and walnut with hints of flowers. Medium body, focused and bright with dried fruit and just a hint of mushroom in the aftertaste. Drink now."
ROBERT PARKER 91 POINTS - "The impressive 2015 Catena Malbec is subtle, balanced and elegant. It mixes fruit from many different zones, with the grapes from the higher part of Valle de Uco fermented with full clusters, the medium part (Vista Flores, lower La Consulta) destemmed and put together with the full clusters from the higher altitude vineyards and the lower parts totally destemmed and in stainless steel. This is a complex blend that showcases the typicity of Malbec in the province of Mendoza with perfumed notes of violets and black cherries, and a touch of spices. The palate has great balance, elegance and subtleness with very fine tannins. Great value for money. The production figures are truly impressive as this is in the ballpark of one million bottles per year." The Catena Malbec presents a deep violet color. This microclimate blend of four unique vineyards offers intense aromas, a soft texture, and concentrated flavor. Deep aromas of ripe red and dark fruits are joined by delicate violet and lavender notes, with traces of vanilla and mocha. A rich, concentrated mouthfeel is highlighted by flavors of blueberries and blackberries with a touch of sweet spice, and leather. The wine finishes with bright acidity, well-integrated and silky tannins, and a flinty minerality that lingers on the palate.
- Item #: 380668Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "This is another phenomenal Fortuna Terrae that just rolls across the palate with amazingly complex and beautiful fruit. Full body yet tight and refined. Berry, light meat, mushroom and truffle character. Made from organically grown grapes. Love now."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "(from deeper soils than the River Stones bottling, and even higher in acidity; from 22-year-old vines that produced just 1.6 tons per acre of fruit): Bright ruby-red. Crushed blackberry, licorice, minerals and menthol on the nose, lifted by a violet topnote. Penetrating acidity and pungent minerality give the middle palate rapier-like cut. The youthful red berry flavors are compellingly deep and convey an exhilarating tart edge. The rising, palate-staining, floral finish showcases this site's fruit intensity and grip. A great wine in the making. These vines at an altitude of 4,725 feet are planted on calcaire soil similar to that used for the White Bones Chardonnay; the powerful acidity here is just over 5 grams per liter."
- Item #: 382774Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "The blend here comes through beautifully with chocolate, berry and cedar character. Medium to full body, polished tannins and a flavorful finish. Always focused and precise."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "I also tasted the 2015 Cocodrilo Corte, which is a different blend every year, although always Cabernet Sauvignon-based, which in 2015 was complemented by 15% Malbec and 8% Cabernet Franc. The origin of the grapes also changes, and here it's mostly fruit from Luj
- Item #: 381973Bottle Size: 750mlThe true expression of terroir in this Malbec comes from the extreme altitude at which the vineyard sits, it receives much more sun, much less UV protection, producing thicker skinned grapes that deliver a more robust mouthfeel supported by fresh acidity.
- Item #: 380683Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS; #18 WINE SPECTATOR TOP 100 WINES 2017 - "Refined and rich-tasting, with effusive minerality to the red berry and cherry flavors, layered with plenty of creamy accents. Pepper and cigar box notes show on the long and complex finish. Drink now through 2022."
"A Swiss businessman and Napa vintner Donald Hess bought Bodega Colom
- Item #: 382608Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS, STEPHEN TANZER 92 POINTS - "Bright medium ruby. Musky perfume of blackberry, dried flowers, graphite, mocha and bitter chocolate, lifted by a mineral element. Sweet, plush and deep; much more pliant than the 2012 Grand Malbec, with less obvious alcohol to mute the wine's intense fruit. Much suaver and more harmonious than the Grand Malbec, finishing with sweeter but serious tannins, a saline nuance and superb length. Just approaching its maturity but I'd still wait another year to pull the cork."
Cuvelier Los Andes is owned by Bertrand and Jean-Guy Cuvelier, part-owners of renowned Bordeaux Chateau Leoville-Poyferre in Saint Julien. The estate is located in the Uco Valley at the foothills of the Andes and encompasses 115 acres of still young vines. The consulting winemaker is Michel Rolland.
- Item #: 377994Bottle Size: 750mlThe Owl & Dust Devil has the silky structure synonymous with the wines of our Remolinos Vineyard. An exceptionally rich core provides depth of character and flavor for superb ageing potential.
Sourced from westerly blocks of our Remolinos Vineyard, selected parcels are fermented in 620 liter French oak barrels to add layers of complexity and structure to the wine. Violet aromatics of the Malbec compliment the darker notes and structural backbone of the Cabernet Sauvignon whilst the abundant Petit Verdot and Tannat in this wine provide considerable richness and tannins. The wine has been matured for 18 months in smaller French oak barrels prior to release.
- Item #: 383623Bottle Size: 750mlBright, saturated ruby to the rim. Strong bitter chocolate oak and graphite minerality on the nose, along with primary aromas of crushed blackberry and liquorice. Dense and plush, showing an enticing sweet/savoury balance and lovely minty lift to the primary black fruit and spice flavours.
Grape: 70% Malbec; 10% Merlot; 10% Cabernet Sauvignon; 5% Syrah; 5% Petit Verdot