- Item #: i_353016Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson-Vadot, run by father and son team of Bernard and Pierre Boisson, is one of the rising stars in Mersault. The philosophy of the Domaine revolves around careful, hands-on vineyard management to coax the greatest potential of each vintage out of the various plots, and low-impact winemaking in the cellars that allows the unique terroir of each vineyard to surface. New oak is very minimal, no more than 30% for the top cuvées, and much more restraint in the village wines and in Bourgogne Blanc. Pierre Boisson produces a village Meursault from his grandmother’s vineyards (50 year old vines in the lieu-dits of Criots and Perchots) that is hailed an model wine for the appellation. The Domaine also crafts other bottlings, from three of the best lieux à dits in Meursault: Sous la Velle , Grands Charrons (planted in 1988) and Chevalières (planted in 1982). The Grands Charrons is the most expressive, intensely flavoured of the three. The Sous la Velle is a more elegant version of the Grand Charrons. The Chevalières is the most mineral-driven, with a more restraint fruit flavours in its youth but great ageing potential- More like premier crus than village wines. Finally, Boisson-Vadot makes a powerful yet charming Meursault Genevrières premier cru.
- Item #: i_353253Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottleDECANTER 96 POINTS - "Outer quote mark Anyone who feared that quality would drop after a change of ownership at this historic domaine will be happy to know that this grand cru white is as good as ever. Blending components from three different terroirs and altitudes, it's an elegant, textured, saline white of incredible precision and understated power, with subtle toasty oak and undertones of jasmine and lemongrass."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Outer quote mark The 2017 Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru is showing superbly from bottle, wafting from the glass with a complex and beautifully integrated bouquet of pear, citrus oil, toasted sesame, warm bread, oyster shell and white flowers. On the palate, it's full-bodied, layered and multidimensional, with a racy spine of acidity and superb concentration without weight, followed by a long, defined finish. Surpassing the high expectations I formed a year ago, this would appear to be the finest wine produced at Bonneau du Martray for over a decade."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "Outer quote mark An elegant, pure and admirably fresh nose flashes notes of green apple, mineral reduction and white flower scents. The racy but lacy middle weight flavors possess both excellent detail and an abundance of minerality before culminating in a refreshing, dry and clean finish that is less austere than usual. This should age well over the next decade."
- Item #: i_345109Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 92-94 POINTS :"The 2013 Meursault 1er Cru les Perrières has an attractive austerity on the nose, well defined, and actually capturing the essence of Perrières better than some of the more famous producers. The palate is crisp and precise with a keen line of acidity, well-integrated oak and a touch of grilled walnut and salinity toward the long finish. Bravo! This is very well-executed Perrières."
BURGHOUND POINTS 92 "OUTSTANDING" :"A subtle application of wood easily allows the elegant, pure and airy aromas of floral, citrus and wet stone where a hint of Asian style tea lurks in the background. There is plenty of mineral character to the beautifully well-detailed, intense and delicious middle weight flavors that conclude in an impressively long and palate coating finish. This is not especially complex at present and I would suggest acquiring this only if you have the express intention of holding it for at least 5 years."
VINOUSMEDIA 91-93 POINTS :"Discreet nose hints at white flowers, rose petal and white pepper, with citrus peel in the deep background. Fine-grained and aromatic in the mouth, offering an intriguing blend of sweet and peppery elements and wet-stone minerality. Finishes classically dry and long, with soil-driven smoky, saline minerality." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_353342Bottle Size: 750mlA brilliant golden color. There is a very perfumed floral nose of hawthorn mixed with aroma of almond paste and a touch of spices. The palate is big and well rounded with a rich intensity of vanilla and toast flavors. This wine represents a great persistence; it’s rich and expands offering a palate of beautiful complexity and density.
- Item #: i_344258Bottle Size: 750MLTillets is south facing and therefore profiting in more sunlight. This vineyard used to have lime-trees (called Tille Tillet Or) growing around the outskirts which in the medeival times were used for creating medicines. This soil gives us a wine that shows off the wonderful characteristics of a typical Meursault - the subtle yet powerful aromas staying loyal to its name. Subtle aromas of stone fruits, with a bold palate, balanced minerality, and a long, elegant finish. Pairs well with salmon.
- Item #: i_353341Bottle Size: 750mlThe estate practices sustainable farming, avoiding pesticides and herbicides, and using indigenous yeasts for fermentation. Harvest is exclusively by hand.
A lower-altitude villages-level plot, ‘Reuchaux’ is found near the village border with Meursault. Soils are deeper, with limestone subsoils. A bit more heft, a bit more flesh than your usual Puligny, but still chock-full of herbs and flowers and spice.
- Item #: i_345483Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 90 POINTS -"This too is super-fresh with its airy nose that combines floral, red currant and evident wet stone scents. The racy and tension-filled flavors possess a really lovely mouth feel if perhaps not quite the overall depth and length as the best of these villages wines."
VINOUS 90 POINTS - "(from vines planted in the 1980s on rocky soil): Good dark red. Quite reticent on the nose, and a bit diffuse. Then juicy and sweet in the mouth, with soil-driven red berry flavors complicated by red licorice and mineral notes. Good density and breadth here--and a bit more size than usual for this wine. Finishes with dusty, horizontal tannins. Clair noted that this bottling is taking on more power as the vines age."
- Item #: i_353486Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Unwinding in the glass with scents of citrus oil, pear, warm bread, nutmeg and a subtle touch of reduction, the 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot is medium to full-bodied, textural and enveloping, with chalky structuring extract and racy acids, displaying real texture and mid-palate volume."
- Item #: i_350966Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - "e 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé Clos des Quarts, co-owned by Olivier Merlin and Dominique Lafon, does not include the oldest vines in this particular vintage. Since these were planted in 1917, this plot was bottled separately in magnums to celebrate its centenary. It has a very classy bouquet, one that is beautifully defined with orange pith, apricot, lime flower and jasmine aromas that all gain intensity with aeration. The quality terroir comes through, even without those old vines. The palate is fresh and citrus-driven on the entry, bright and vivid with notes of orange rind, pine kernels, hints of mango and spice. This feels very harmonious and focused, demonstrating impressive depth on the flinty finish. This is a very impressive Pouilly-Fuissé from one of its most historic and now rejuvenated vineyards"
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS -"The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Clos des Quarts is very pretty, opening in the glass with a complex bouquet of peach, confit citrus, lemon and smoke, framed by a judicious touch of recently used oak. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, satiny and elegant, with succulent balancing acids. This is an ample, approachable and open-knit rendition of the Clos des Quarts, replete with immediate charm."
- Item #: i_351540Bottle Size: 750mlWe recently tasted the 2017 releases from Domaine Chavy-Chouet and were thoroughly impressed. We called down additional staff members to try them at the wine bar and everyone was blown away by the entire line-up. This is exactly what we look for from fine Burgundy where Chardonnay achieves its greatest expression. We immediately grabbed as much wine as we could and are thrilled to offer you our best white Burgundy purchase in recent memory.
For those wanting to do a "deep dive" into what makes White Burgundy so special these wines from Chavy-Chouet are the perfect introduction. Romaric took over day to day operations of the estate in 2014 after growing up in the vineyards. He has great respect for the history and tradition of Burgundy yet has made improvements in the vineyard and the cellar which reveal themselves in every bottle.
The Bourgogne Blanc is a fantastic wine which will make believers out of anyone who tries it. You would be hard pressed to find a better white Burgundy for the price. Vinous Media's Burgundy critic, Neal Martin loved the Chavy Chouet wines and wrote, "There is a lot in this regional white and it represents great value." This wine is an absolute steal and one to purchase by the case with confidence.
Enjoy the wines from Chavy Chouet and discover how good Chardonnay can be.
VINOUS 90 POINTS - "The 2017 Bourgogne Blanc Les Femelottes comes from five parcels from 15 to 60 years old vines adjacent to the Puligny-Montrachet village crus. It has a lovely, almond and white chocolate scented bouquet that is very well defined. The palate is well balanced with a fine thread of acidity, a touch of bitter lemon and frangipane towards the composed, quite phenolic finish. There is a lot in this regional white and it represents great value."
- Item #: i_353328Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI, VINOUS 91 POINTS - " "The 2018 Puligny-Montrachet Les Champs-Gain 1er Cru has an intense, voluminous bouquet of yellow flowers, white peach and crushed stone aromas that feel very cohesive. The palate has a rounded texture on the entry. Slightly lower in acidity and quite plush for a Puligny, with a pure and quite persistent finish."
- Item #: i_353471Bottle Size: 750mlConsistently excellent year after year, the 2018 Chablis is again, despite the warm year, a crisp, incisive and very pure wine graced with good energy and grip in its bright fruit and long, elegant finish. After time in the glass, the wine’s class begins to emerge and it’s saline, citrus and geological qualities build. This is flat out terrific Chablis from Sébastien Christophe.The wines of Domaine Christophe all display classic Chablis notes of shells and green apples on the nose, along with a pretty, underlying hint of white flower and lemon. It’s the kind of bright nose that gives the drinker an intimation of the acidity and tension that will follow on the palate, which is indeed nervy but also generous with an appealing balance of flavours offset by a rocky, shell-y harmony. The wine finishes with the sort of mouth-coating minerality and mouth-watering citrusy acidity that makes Chablis a favourite amongst lovers of wines that truly reflect their terroir.
- Item #: i_345430Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Decanter: 94 PointsDECANTER 94 POINTS -"Dominique Lafon's home vineyard is a 2.4ha parcel that sits just below the winery on clay and limestone soils and regularly produces one of the best village Meursaults. Made without new wood, it has notes of aromatic baking spices, fennel and lemon tart with plenty of texture and weight."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS -"The 2017 Meursault Clos de la Barre has turned out very well, opening in the glass with a youthfully reserved bouquet of citrus oil, clear honey, green orchard fruit and almond paste that's actually less forthcoming than the Perrières at this very early stage. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, supple and satiny, with tangy acids, good concentration and a lively, saline finish. While this will be approachable young, expect real complexity to emerge with a decade's bottle age."
- Item #: i_351598Bottle Size: 750mlThe vineyards are farmed organically. The only thing David Croix doesn’t like in 2016 is the lack of volume. He was full of praise for the quality of the vintage, explaining that the grapes were very healthy at harvest despite the difficult season, and said the aromas in the winery during fermentation were glorious. He describes the wines as “harmonious, with nothing that is out of balance”. No Bourgogne was made this year, there are tiny volumes of village wines and several of the Beaune Premiers Crus have been blended to make a single wine. In fact, only Corton-Charlemagne has achieved anything like a normal yield. This has delicious red fruit and almost endless strawberry and juicy cherry flavours- although this is not a massive wine. The 60-year-old vines are planted on shallow topsoil with lots of iron oxide which gives the dense tannic structure.
- Item #: i_351634Bottle Size: 750mlThe vines here are from southeast facing slopes in a section of Les Lys known as “Clos du Roi” (effectively a monopole of the Defaix estate). The Defaix domaine owns 3.5 hectares of this 5 hectare 1er Cru. The resulting wine is long-lived and displays remarkable finesse and length, a classic Chablis. One often encounters the flavors and aromas of bergamot, acacia and honey in the Les Lys alongside a compelling freshness, a wine of excellent tension. The average age of the vines is 45 years.
- Item #: i_351097Bottle Size: 750mlDaniel Defaix makes delicious Chablis that he only releases when fully mature. He eschews wood, instead keeping the wine in stainless steel, stirring up the lees to get complex biscuity flavours, combined here with soft richness. Developed, mature style.
- Item #: i_352091Bottle Size: 750mlDemougeot is a native of Burgundy who started his domaine in the heart of Meursault in 1992. Today he has a total of almost 20 acres under vine and makes 14 different wines so there isn't much of any single wine. There are no synthetic herbicides, pesticides or fertilizers used in the vineyards. Much of the plowing is done with a horse and all harvest is by hand. The farming is probably closer to biodynamic than organic but he follows neither with religious ferver, instead relying on his connection with the land to determine the methods that keep the land the healthiest and most lively. The style here is one of classism and elegance. The wines are gentle and never forced yet have a verve that allows them to age with ease. Fermentation is done in cement cuve. Elevage is relatively long at 18 months for both the red and whites. Chardonnay grapes for this 2016 Meursault are sourced from three distinct parcels in three lieux-dits, namely ‘Les Chaumes, ‘Les Pellans’ and ‘Limouzin’. Vines are 18-60 years of age. Matured for 12 months in French oak barriques, 10% new. It shows hints of white peach and minerals on the nose. Elegant and bracing on the palate with beautiful notes of peach, apple, nectarine and minerality.