- Item #: i_333451Bottle Size: 750MLThe incremental changes made in both the winery and vineyards over the years and more recently by Benjamin Dagueneau have come together with a vintage that could best express what he was trying to say. Aromatic ripeness without high alcohol. Massive mineral concentration that will yield over time and marry perfectly with the high-toned fruit components and barrel and bottle complexity that seem in perfect harmony. The most young and backward of the bunch (as usual), this wine has massive acidity that provides the perfect balance to the mineral profile that is so prevalent in the mouth. No shortage of fruit, but for the time being, this wine is all about structure and potential. Sit back and marvel at what the years have in store for this wine, and make sure you save some.
- Item #: i_352097Bottle Size: 750mlThere are few winemakers in history as bullish or brazen, roguish or renegade, as the Loire Valley's Didier Dagueneau. High-standards, incredible risk-taking, impeccable attention to detail, zealous allegiance to his terroir, and a willingness to take a stand against convention made this once-professional motorcycle sidecar racer the stuff of legends.
However dare-devilish in both winemaking and in life, Didier's untimely death in a plane crash in 2008 shook the wine community to its core. Fortunately for all who love Didier's wines, his oldest son, Louis-Benjamin, is now steering the domaine with the audacity, passion and talent that many critics and wine-lovers agree equal those of his father.
Famous in the Loire and throughout the world for perfumed Sauvignon blanc, Pouilly-Fume sits due east, across the Loire River from Sancerre. Limestone soils with clay and flint (also called silex) contribute to the wines' freshness and often times smoky, flinty, mineral character.
- Item #: i_352282Bottle Size: 750mlThe legendary Didier Dagueneau changed the perception of Pouilly Fume. After his death in a plane crash in 2008, his son Louis Benjamin took the reins, and his years of working with his father led to a seamless transition. The Silex is among the greatest expression of Sauvignon Blanc in the world. The wine undergoes whole cluster fermentation, with varieties of native yeasts. Fermentation occurs in small stainless steel and oak barrels. After initial racking, the wine stays on the lees until bottling. There is no malolactic fermentation.
- Item #: i_352067Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Produced from biodynamically grown grapes, this wine is impressively ripe. Richness comes from the intense white fruits and the citrus streak that goes right through. Hints of more tropical flavors lead to a pure, fruity aftertaste."
- Item #: i_353269Bottle Size: 750mlAromas of orange and lemon zest, wildflowers. Vibrant and precise, with a nervous tension throughout. Stone fruit, sea-salt, more citrus.
PAIRING SUGGESTIONS: Rich seafood; white meats; cream sauces
"A classic Sancerre, with a racy profile and a sea-salty finish. This very steep vineyard has barely any soil, so vines feed directly from the region’s solid chalk “mother rock” below." - NORTH BERKELEY IMPORTS
Fermented on indigenous yeasts in large, upright wooden fermentation tanks (from 25-36HL). Racked, then aged for one year in same wooden tank. Unfiltered.
- Item #: i_351337Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the western portion of the Sancerre appellation, Chavignol has a unique type of soil called, in French, “terres blanches.” The region is essentially a chalk plateau (the same vein as is found in Chablis) with clay and limestone soils. The top vineyards, ‘Monts Damnés,’ ‘Grande Côte,’ and ‘Les Culs de Beaujeu,’ are perched on steep hillsides with little topsoil. Cotat as a rule harvests by hand and very late, as pushing ripeness to the extreme is one element that gives these wines their weighty texture and complexity. While Cotat is not organically certified, his habits are more or less according to organic principles. He does not treat his vines with pesticides; uses only indigenous yeasts for fermentation; and follows the lunar cycle for racking. Wines are barrel-fermented in older demi-muids and aged in larger tonneaux. All wines are bottled unfined and unfiltered.
- Item #: i_352741Bottle Size: 750mlFrancois Cotat produces ageworthy Sancerre from his only 3 hectare estate at the heart of the prized Chavignol commune. Francois adopt a very traditional, non-interventionist approach. He racks according to the phases of the moon and the wines develop with age and, the very best vintages, can be cellared for more than 50 years.This 100% sauvignon blanc is grown on 45% steep slopes facing south / south-east. The nose is very ripe with green apple and tropical fruit aromas. The palate is dense and energized by crisp acidity. The balance is superb and the length amazing.
- Item #: i_351338Bottle Size: 750mlFrancois Cotat produces ageworthy Sancerre from his only 3 hectare estate at the heart of the prized Chavignol commune. Francois adopt a very traditional, non-interventionist approach. He racks according to the phases of the moon and the wines develop with age and, the very best vintages, can be cellared for more than 50 years.
With only 0.5 hectares dedicated to the production of reds and rosés, this is a very confidential cuvée. The vines are facing north and planted on a very rich limestone and clay soil. The wine is aged in stainless steel and stands somewhere is between freshness and greediness.
- Item #: i_333864Bottle Size: 750MLThese vines are 25 years old on average. It is a blend of many different parcels owned by Francois. The soil here is a mixture of silex, chalk and clay.
Very expressive nose. Fresh grapes, lemon and grapefruit aromas. Structured and very rich wine in the palate, which has the same aromatic range as the nose.
- Item #: i_353314Bottle Size: 750mlCuvée Ortus is only bottled in exceptional vintages
Selected juice is initially fermented as regular Sancerre Blanc, undergoes malolactic fermentation, but wine is aged in 400-L oak barrels, and the lees are stirred daily for a year. The wine is then racked into neutral cask where it ages and settles for an additional year.
Bottled unfiltered then aged for another year in bottle before release Only made in select vintages; only the 2003 and the 2005 have been released so far and now the 2015.
- Item #: i_315005Bottle Size: 750MLThere is perhaps no better match for a dozen oysters than this minerally Sancerre from one of the best producers in the region. The wine displays textbook Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc, with bright acidity, smoke, citrus, and grassiness. It is Insanely addictive and so so good with shellfish! Hippolyte Reverdy's family has been making wine in the charming village of Verdigny, a commune of Sancerre in the eastern Loire, for many generations- perhaps as far back as 1600.
- Item #: i_353326Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC, NO SULFUR ADDED
Julien Pineau, who now owns 6.5 hectares of the Clos Roche Blanche, is making briliant wines, including this distinctive Sauvignon Blanc. Produced without the addition of SO2, this is a lovely natural wine that benefits from decanting or aeration, then shows aromas of white fruits, melon, lemon zest and lime-flower with bright herbal notes and a lifting hint of oxidation. The palate is intensely flavored with quince, dried herbs, grapefruit rind and minerals backed by very firm acidity. The finish is very long with white fruits, citrus, herbal and mineral flavors.
- Item #: i_345552Bottle Size: 750MLRoger & Didier Raimbault have been growing grapes in Sancerre for ten generations. Experience, technical savoir-faire and nature combined allow them to produce wines of great quality, respecting the typical characteristics of each vintage. The estate is located in Verdigny in the heart of Sancerre with two vineyards, Les Terres Blanches and Les Caillottes. The two grape varieties that are used in Sancerre are Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. The white wines are fresh, fruity and elegant, the rosés are delicate and subtle and the reds are perfumed and smooth. “When nature gives you a treasure, please respect and share it”.
Light yellow with gold tints. An elegant nose that is fruity with aromas of citrus and tropical fruit. Beautifully fresh, intense aromas that come from ripe sauvignon blanc. Good length and minerality. Can be enjoyed as an aperitif, with sea-food, fish dishes or cheese.
- Item #: i_353908Bottle Size: 750mlAromas of white fruit, peach then pear and pebble (terroir). Beautiful tension and expression of the calcareous terroir, mineral with aromas of white fruit. Nice balance between tension and roundness.
Organic fertilizers have been used since 1989
- Item #: i_370710Bottle Size: 750MLThe grapes for this basic cuvée of Sancerre are sourced from the vineyards in Bué, Vinon and Crézancy. After harvest, fermentation is done in stainless steel cuves at temperatures between 14 and 18 degrees Celsius. As with all the whites at the domaine, this wine sits in contact with the fine lies for a considerable period of time with the racking being done late in the spring following harvest. The first bottling occurs no earlier than July and frequently does not occur until September of the year following harvest.
- Item #: i_302672Bottle Size: 750MLWINEMAKER'S NOTES - "Sourced from several parcels that are planted in rocky, white soils with an east-southeast exposure (including the "Clos du Roy"), this cuvée is the most full-bodied and masculine of the three core Sancerres of the domaine."
Outstanding, textbook Sancerre. Lucien Crochet is renowned for his excellent Loire wines, and "La Croix Du Roy" is one of them. With bright citrus fruit with delightful earthy and herbal tones, this is exactly what a great Sancerre should be.
- Item #: i_302673Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine is produced from vineyards in the village of Bué (principally the “Clos du Chene Marchand”) that are planted uniquely to clay-limestone soils, known as “caillottes and griottes” which yield a wine of particularly fine quality and exceptional length. Usually harvested earlier than the other cuvées because of the excellent exposure of the vines to the sun, “Le Chene” maintains an elegant acidity in support of the ripe fruit of these well-positioned vines.
Le Chêne is a vineyard located in the commune of Bué, and is highly reputed for its quality wines.
Notes of fresh grapes, citrus, lemon zest and grapefruit.
Palate : Nice attack with volume and fat. Wet chalk, mineral and long in the mouth