- Item #: i_353639Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Mosse Cabernet Franc comes from 40 year-old vines on schistes soils with clay and gravel. The soils bring a unique mineral character to the Cabernet Franc and the wine is bone dry with zero residual sugar. Not a fruit bomb, but quite elegant and long with earthy red currant and black raspberry fruit.
- Item #: i_351513Bottle Size: 750mlThe vineyard was planted in 1130 by Cistercian monks and today consists of vines aged from 35 to 80 years old. The old small monastery still exists and a few hundred meters away, the castle of La Roche aux Moines was built and dismantled during the wars of religion. Always considered as a rare and unique product, the Serrant Casting was celebrated by Louis XI and Louis XIV as one of the best French white wines. The vineyard is cultivated partly by hand and partly by horse because of the steep slopes overlooking the Loire. Since 1984, the entire estate has been cultivated using biodynamic farming methods. Three wines are produced in small quantities on the property and benefit from the principles of biodynamic.
- Item #: i_334150Bottle Size: 750ML"Les Vieux Clos leaves quite an impression on the palate, with lingering flavors of succulent pear, quince, and baked apple all mingling with chamomile, honey and roast almonds. A bright acidity balances the rich texture of this wine." Producer
- Item #: i_350362Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Pascal Jolivet. Terroir: Situated 125 miles south of Paris, the Sancerre landscape undulates at an altitude between 650 and 1,300 feet. The Loire River on the Eastern side of the hilly environment creates a relatively temperate microclimate for the wines. Pascal Jolivet Sancerre Blanc is sourced from three vineyards in the heart of the appellation.
Pale and vibrant in color. The Pascal Jolivet Sancerre is fresh, clean and screaming with racy acidity. On the palate it is fresh and tightly wound; acidity is tempered by very subtle residual sugar; very clean; alive, racy, youthful. Overall, a dry and elegant wine.
- Item #: i_345938Bottle Size: 750mlThis Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire Valley is sourced from vineyards in Touraine and Anjou. It is made in manner to preserve freshness. Clean, crisp and dry with flavors of citrus, passion fruit, gooseberry and minerality.
- Item #: i_353795Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker Marc Ollivier hand harvests, uses natural yeasts, waits for the wine to finish and bottles with a very light filtration. The vineyards are in old vines (40 years and older) with a particularly good exposition on a plateau overlooking the river Sèvre. All the vineyards are from original stock: Ollivier is the only grower in the Muscadet who does not have a single clonal selection in his vineyards.The Domaine believes that the quality of a wine depends entirely on the quality of the grapes it was made with. Rémi joined the estate in 2007, and actively worked on the organic conversion of the vines. Gwénaëlle, who came in 2013, has pushed things further with a shift towards bio-dynamic viticulture.
Ollivier also produces a very-old-vine cuvée of Muscadet from a single-plot vineyard in schist, the Clos des Briords. These are among the oldest vines in his estate (they were planted in 1930) and they enjoy a particularly good exposition. Also, when most of his estate’s vines are planted on poor, shallow soil with hard granite very close to the surface, the Clos des Briords has a much deeper top soil of clay and silica over a brittle granite subsoil: this ensures excellent drainage in wet years, and better moisture retention in dry summers. Ripening is slower, and the longer hang-time before harvest allows for optimal maturity to be reached. Because of the soil and greater concentration achieved with old vines, the Clos des Briords is a more powerful wine that most Muscadets. It is very mineral and quite austere in its youth, rather than fruity and light. Over a few months, or even years, if one can wait for it, it develops much complexity in aromatics and structure.
- Item #: i_353069Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 90WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "This rich Sancerre is full of white fruits as well as the more familiar herbal characteristics. It is taut, with a sculptured texture. The wine is not quite ready and will be better from early 2020."
- Item #: i_322071Bottle Size: 750mlGroslot / Grolleau is a varietal in the minority, but historical in Anjou, which gives the wine light tannins and luscious fruit. Grololo is a play on words coming from 'gros' meaning large and 'lolo' (a child's word) meaning breasts.
"Anyone who has the guts to market a wine like this Grololo deserves to have success. A jeu de mots (play on words) - it refers to the grape variety from which it's made. Groslot (or Grolleau) is a work horse variety that is widely planted in Anjou, mostly for the production of rosé wines. A wine for friends and family this is not to be taken too seriously as indeed it is not. Full of juicy fruit, slightly peppery on the nose and with light tannins it's what we call a 'vin de soif' and was formerly their wine served at family meals during harvest time.
The term Grololo is a used to describe 'big breasts' hence the label. Jo Pithon laughs out loud as he explains its meaning to us and while there may be the odd one amongst you who may feel this is a little inappropriate I'm afraid everyone around him laughed along too." - Letastingroom.com
- Item #: i_373252Bottle Size: 750MLThe Delaille family has owned Domaine du Salvard for more than a century; they have passed it down through generations and expanded the property from 25 acres to nearly 90. Brothers Emmanuel and Thierry represent the fifth generation of the family to farm the land, which they now work sustainably, and continue the winemaking tradition. Their white wine is an 85/15% blend of Sauvignon Blanc and CHARDONNAY; crisp and light, a blend of tropical fruit notes and citrus, the wine has great acidity and plenty of minerality.
- Item #: i_353165Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
100% Chenin Blanc
70+ year old vines
Highest sites in the appellation – 200 meters
Clay and silex, on pure limestone
Fermented and aged in barrel (20% new, 80% 1-4 year old barrels)
- Item #: i_351095Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
You learn a lot about a man by his compost pile. One of the few producers in the appellation of Saumur-Champigny to farm naturally, Thierry Germain is extremely proud of his, reaching into the heart of his compost to show off the smoking debris to visitors. While others are pumping as much synthetic fertilizer into their vineyard as possible to reach the highest potential yields, Thierry Germain is going the other direction, using his compost only when necessary, and asking the vines to suffer to produce much, much less fruit. The end results are stunning.
- Item #: i_345837Bottle Size: 750MLThierry’s domaine, Roches Neuves, whose vineyards are planted in the Saumur (Blanc) and Saumur-Champigny (Rouge) appellations, has rightfully become one of the greatest examples of high achievement in biodynamic vine growing in France. We put him up there with the greats: Abbatucci in Corsica, Ganevat in the Jura, Ostertag in Alsace. His total dedication to site specific wines produced from Cabernet Franc and Chenin Blanc, his “parcellaires,” has produced some of the most exciting wines in the Loire Valley today.
• 100% de-stemmed
• Fermentation in stainless steel tank for 8 to 10 days
• Light pumpovers during fermentation—meant to infuse the grapes not extract them
• Aged in stainless steel and wood tanks, on fine lees, without sulfur, for 3 to 4 months
• Communes: Chaintres de Varrains and Saumur
- Item #: i_351303Bottle Size: 750mlIf Chene Marchand is all about power and stature, Petit Chemarin represents the silky and supremely elegant end of the Pinard’s single vineyard spectrum. Wonderfully fine and with precise aromas of lime, Sicilian lemon, salt, chalk and honeysuckle, the palate is liquid silk, utterly seamless from start to finish, a wine of great elegance and sustained refinement. Gorgeous.
- Item #: i_351302Bottle Size: 750mlVincent Pinard is one of the most dedicated producers of the Loire valley and, with 15 hectares based in Bué, has vines in some of the best sites around Sancerre. The excessively low yields, hand harvesting and modern winery, complete with temperature controlled vats, result in enticing, aromatic and intense wines. Although not certified organic, they do not use any pesticides in the vineyard.
- Item #: i_353784Bottle Size: 750mlThe current domaine, founded in 1996, is now helmed by Florent and Clémente, taking over from their father, Vincent. The winery is more innovative than ever before, while still maintaining the natural winemaking practices that have been followed for hundreds of years. Florent and Clément are laser-focused on creating wines with a sense of place, specializing on site-specific cuvées that are different expressions of this special terroir. Incorporating the use of new and used oak (an unusual form of elévage for Sauvignon Blanc), the Pinards are creating wines that have weight and depth, a far cry from the straightforward Sancerres produced by so many others. When you taste these whites, don't think about drinking Sauvignon Blanc, a grape variety that is known for exuberant tropical and herbal notes when grown elsewhere. Instead, remember that you're drinking a northern white wine, grown on very similar soil and in close proximity to Chablis. These wines are elegant, nuanced, full of personality but not bombastic. Their Pinot Noir is grown on clay-limestone soil with a limestone subsoil. With old vines and low yields, these reds are powerful but balanced and have the capacity for a long life in the cellar. The Pinards have been passing down winemaking techniques for generations, with the goal of always creating the most precise, pure, and fine wines possible. While many wineries are reverting to these natural winemaking practices, the Pinards have been implementing these methods for hundreds of years on their 17 hectares. They do everything as naturally as possible; intervene as little as feasible, limit yields, harvest by hand, and do not use herbicides, insecticides or anti-rot treatments. They believe that if the fruit is healthy, there is no need to use artificial products during the vinification process. And as to the top vignerons of Burgundy, should they visit Sancerre, there is one essential domaine that they visit...Vincent Pinard!