- Item #: i_350552Bottle Size: 750mlSubtle, harmonious - Burgundy from Domaine Anne Gros is intimately tied with the elegant and poised character of wines from Vosne-Romanée.
While each cru faithfully reflects its terroir, it is terroir as translated through Gros’ expert touch, offering richer aromatics, rounder curves, silkier tannins. The combination is irresistible, so much so that Gros’ very limited production is snapped up by global collectors faster and faster each vintage.
Anne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.
Anne Gros cares for her vineyards according to “lutte raisonée” principles, adhering to organic practices as much as possible depending on the conditions of the growing year. Grapes are always harvested by hand. Juice is fermented on indigenous yeasts in lined (enameled) cement tanks for the reds, and in stainless steel tanks for the whites. Wines are aged in barrel for approximately 16 months, with 80 percent new oak for grand cru wines, 50 percent for village wines and 30 percent for regional wines.
- Item #: 345644Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 86-88Burghound: 88BURGHOUND 88 POINTS: "Here the pretty nose is at once more elegant if more restrained with its array of various red berries, earth and a hint of the sauvage. There is good richness and notably more volume to the seductively textured, round and delicious medium-bodied flavors that culminate in a lightly structured, dusty and ever-so-mildly rustic finale. While this should reward a few years of cellar time it should also drink well young."
eROBERT PARKER 86-88 POINTS: "The 2014 Chassagne-Montrachet Vieilles Vignes Rouge was a little closed on the nose when I tasted it. The palate is medium-bodied, quite firm in the mouth with chalky tannin framing the raspberry and cranberry fruit. The modest 10% new oak gives a little weight on the finish. Give this a year in bottle so that it can find its groove."
- Item #: 322496Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 89-92 POINTS :" There is ample but again not dominating wood influence to the menthol, red and dark currant, earth and exotic tea scents. The attractively textured, intense and restrained medium weight flavors exhibit a lovely minerality on the ever-so-mildly austere finish where a barely perceptible hint of dryness creeps in. My range offers the benefit of the doubt that this will harmonize with a few years of age."
VINOUSMEDIA 89-91 POINTS :"(15% hail damage here, according to Philippe Prost; 32 hectoliters per hectare produced): Good dark red. Black cherry, licorice and bitter chocolate on the nose, plus a whiff of menthol. Juicy and deep, showing excellent definition and lift to its black cherry, chocolate and mineral flavors. Very good energy here, with the tannins avoiding dryness." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: 345112Bottle Size: 750MLFINE WINE REVIEW 89 - 92 POINTS - "The nose here is floral. The mouth shows raspberry and dark fruits, a smooth texture, and the wine is light on the palate. This Bouchard monopole is not one of the top Beaune vineyards, but Bouchard does an increasingly good job with it."
- Item #: 351855Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS - "There is a blend of both wood and natural spice elements that add scope to the dark pinot fruit suffused nose. There is excellent concentration to the mouth coating and vibrant flavors where the old vines are very much in evidence as there is an abundance of tannin-buffering sap. A terrific and impeccably well-balanced villages that is well worth your attention."
- Item #: 323173Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 93-95 POINTS: "A discreet hint of wood allows the slightly riper and definitely spicier aromas of earth, humus, dark berries and soft sauvage notes to shine. There is excellent power to the muscular and broad-shouldered flavors that also brim with structure-buffering dry extract that coats the palate on the mineral-driven, punchy and seriously persistent finish. This is a Beze of power and finesse though note that unlike many 2012s this is clearly built for the long haul."
- Item #: 311120Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+Burghound: 93Vinous Media: 92-95eROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS: - "The 2013 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos Saint-Jacques is "deeper" and more introverted, earthier than the Cazetiers 2013, though with just a little encouragement it develops some gorgeous limestone and sea spray aromas. The palate is structured and therefore quite masculine, that marine influence quite pronounced, especially on the finish. It feels very contained at the moment and yet the quality is clearly in position. What does it need? It needs time."
VINOUSMEDIA 92-95 POINTS: "The third of Bruno Clair's Gevrey 1er Crus, the 2013 Gevrey-Chambertin Clos-St.-Jacques provides a fascinating window into one of the village's undisputed top sites. Here the impression is of pure power, energy and explosiveness. Leather, cedar, smoke and spice are some of the notes that flesh out in a dark, imposing Burgundy that will require considerable patience."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS: "A wonderfully elegant, ultra-cool and restrained nose exhibits notes of essence of herbal tea, red pinot fruit, wet stone, floral and subtle spice nuances. There is a very classy mouth feel to the intensely mineral-inflected middle weight flavors that culminate in an exceptionally refined and equally pure finish where the supporting tannins are notably finer. This is lovely stuff that will need time to develop more depth but the underlying potential certainly seems to be present."
- Item #: 350321Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 88-91BURGHOUND 88-91 POINTS: "A whiff of oak adds breadth to the red berry fruit, plum and earth-suffused nose. I very much like the sense of underlying tension to the intensely mineral-driven flavors that are shaped by relatively fine-grained tannins on the more complex and well-balanced finish that also displays a hint of austerity."
- Item #: 350883Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 90BURGHOUND 90 POINTS - "This too is super-fresh with its airy nose that combines floral, red currant and evident wet stone scents. The racy and tension-filled flavors possess a really lovely mouth feel if perhaps not quite the overall depth and length as the best of these villages wines."
- Item #: 350914Bottle Size: 750mlAs is typical of the vineyard, the Lavières is floral and spicy in the nose. The mouth is rounder than that of the Gravains with lots of finesse, even laciness. The wine features forward red fruit and would seem to be for earlier drinking than the Gravains. Nevertheless, there is the capacity for long aging here, as shown to my by Guillaume when he pulled out a 1981 (one of the most challenging red vintages in the last forty years) that was still quite fresh and drinkable.
- Item #: 350155Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 94BURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "The wood treatment has been almost completely integrated and allows the similar but more reserved, riper and more densely fruited and floral-suffused nose to display its charms while leading to elegant, pure and every bit as serious formidably-scaled flavors brimming with dry extract on the textured, concentrated and palate staining finish that seems to go on and on. Like the regular cuvée, there is less youthful austerity here than I'm used to seeing with more overall depth of material. A terrific '07 but note that ample patience will be required."
- Item #: i_345702Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker Notes - A very pleasant wine. Bright, clear red color. Aromas are surprising in their intensity and fruit. On the palate, a tender, supple, graceful, round body. Very flavorful in the aftertaste, with a hint of blackberry jam. When the wine gets older, wild blackberry is the dominant aroma. After three or five years, the wine takes on a distinctive smell of truffle and undergrowth evolving towards notes of venison. Chorey needs a fine but simple cuisine, pair with roasted poultry, grilled meats and soft cheese such as Reblochon or Brie.
- Item #: 300194Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 92BURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "This is slightly riper and certainly more complex with the same elegance to the plum, violet and dark berry fruit aromas that are liberally laced with warm earth nuances There is excellent phenolic maturity to the cool, pure and mineral-driven flavors that terminate in a long, serious and borderline rustic finish that displays a hint of salinity. This should mature well but it's sufficiently robust at present to require a few years in the cellar first. This is also good stuff and worth your attention."
- Item #: 345259Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Burghound: 91-94BURGHOUND 91-94 POINTS - "A discreet application of wood sets off the pure, refined and quite cool mix of various red berries and sour cherry aromas. There is a silky and equally pure mouth feel to the tension-filled, detailed and tautly muscular medium-bodied flavors that display excellent precision on the dry, clean and impressively persistent finish that also exhibits a hint of salinity."
eROBERT PARKER 92 POINTS - "The 2011 Griotte-Chambertin Grand Cru offers more volume on the bouquet when compared with the Charmes-Chambertin '11: a slow-motion explosion of raspberry and wild strawberry fruit, subtle notes of ripe (perhaps over-ripe?) oranges and apricot in the background with a balsamic note emerging in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with a little more fatness and weight than the Charmes. The acidity is nicely judged here, effortlessly slicing through the pure red and black fruit and segueing into a harmonious, finely-tuned finish that just needs a little more tension. It needs a couple of year in bottle to absorb the new oak, but will be more approachable than other vintages. Drink 2015-2025."
VINOUSMEDIA 93+ POINTS: "Bright medium red. Enticing, ethereal aromas of urgent crushed berries, flowers and medicinal herbs. Shows less volume than the 2012 version but this is silky and balanced, with harmonious acidity giving shape to the smoky red and black fruit flavors. This should evolve gracefully and gain in sweetness and complexity with bottle age. Dugat told me he'd wait ten years before pulling the cork."
- Item #: 324212Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 89-91 POINTS -"The 2012 Gevrey-Chambertin Village comes from around 15 parcels mostly from around the south of village and towards Brochon, the malo-lactics late and not finishing until July. It has a clean, pure bouquet with lifted cassis and raspberry fruit, touches of cold stone and a subtle marine influence. The palate is medium-bodied with firm tannins, good depth and substance for a village cru. The wood shows just a little bit here, with a fine grip on the finish. Give this a year after bottling and you will have a dependable village cru."
BURGHOUND 87-89 POINTS: "A markedly more elegant and slightly more complex nose features aromas of lavender, plum and violets along with plenty of earth character. There is a supple and very round mouth feel to the medium-bodied flavors that possess a saline, delicious and refreshing finish that offers fine length. This is relatively forward and already accessible."
- Item #: 322036Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Burghound: 92-94BURGHOUND 92-94 POINTS: "This is quite floral with pretty and very spicy aromas of violets, plum, black cherry and plum liqueur scents. There is a relatively refined mouth feel to the powerful, intense and solidly well-concentrated medium weight plus flavors that possess a subtle trace of minerality on the balanced and impressively long finish. In the context of recent vintages, 2013 is not a huge vintage for this wine but it certainly produced a robust version."
eROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "The 2013 Clos de Tart has a succinct and perfumed bouquet: distant at first but warming to you with time. It is very well defined (as usual) with blackcurrant and cassis, a tangible mineral component courtesy of vines planted on wet limestone. The palate is medium-bodied with tensile tannins, symmetrical with a keen thread of acidity. The whole bunch component is barely tangible, but perhaps it renders it more backward than when I tasted the 2012 last year. It is linear and focused with a subtle brine influence toward the finish. There is an effortlessness about this Clos de Tart."
- Item #: 351016Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 93 POINTS-OUTSTANDING!: "The intensely floral-suffused nose reveals notes of lavender, rose petal and lilac along with plenty of spice elements on the mostly dark berry fruit aromas. There is notably more volume to the equally pure medium weight plus flavors that positively vibrate with energy and minerality before culminating in a harmonious and beautifully well-balanced finale. This marvelously complex effort really builds from the mid-palate as the finish is sneaky long."
- Item #: 351015Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 95 POINTS: "An extract of black cherry nose is interwoven with notes of earth, violet, spice and plum liqueur scents. The very dense and serious yet vibrant and relatively refined big-bodied flavors brim with dry extract that serves to mostly buffer the powerful and very firm tannic spine on the once again naturally sweet, sappy and massively long finish. As is often the case with the de Vogüé Bonnes Mares, this is a 'buy and forget you own it' wine."
- Item #: 350454Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 93 POINTS-OUTSTANDING!: "This is equally pretty and even cooler with its airy if slightly riper mix of both red and dark pinot fruit, violet, plum, exotic tea and all but invisible wood nuances. There is excellent volume and punch to the focused and quite powerful medium weight flavors that possess a caressing mouthfeel on the even more mineral-inflected finish that goes on and on. Note well however that this palate coating effort is very much built-to-age and is going to need it."
- Item #: 334050Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 97 POINTS: "Deep ruby color. A kaleidoscopically spicy and broad-ranging nose grudgingly reveals notes of red cherry, cassis, plum, violet, Asian-style tea, sandalwood and hoisin. The velvety and mouth coating imposingly-scaled and intense mineral-driven flavors are blessed with seemingly endless reserves of dry extract that coat the palate on the highly seductive finish that delivers fantastically good length on the youthfully austere, backward and immaculately well-balanced finale. This opulent yet very serious effort is also going to require a very long snooze in a very cool cellar but it should be a remarkable Musigny when it finally emerges. I would add that I don't know if this will be potentially one of the all-time great vintages for the de Vogüé Musigny but my guess is that it will at least be in the conversation, which given the historical track record of this wine, is no small compliment."