- Item #: i_351957Bottle Size: 750mlDry Muscat, from one of Alsace’s most historic estates. Akin to riding a unicorn through a rainbow in an enchanted field of blossoming wildflowers. Like biting into all the juiciest fruits in the world—at once. And then that clean, mouthwatering, dry finish . . . This is not just Muscat, it is Boxler’s Muscat sec. Give it a try.
- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: i_345653Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Ripe apricots and a hint of mangoes, making this rich, but rather dry riesling very attractive. However, there's also serious concentration and major minerality coming out, especially at the long, delicately spicy finish. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Riesling Grand Cru Sommerberg is pure and flinty on the piquant, spicy/herbal and floral nose. This is the pure expression of granite in Riesling! Hints of pineapple and other tropical fruit flavors such as mangos are found in the far background. Rich and round on the palate, this is an intense, textured and juicy Riesling with lots of tropical fruit flavors and ripe, perfectly integrated acidity. This is very fine despite its intensity and ripeness. The salty finish is long and aromatic, and you get tannins rather than acidity. Impressive."
- Item #: i_344105Bottle Size: 750MLThe famous Schoenenbourg vineyard is sourced for the flagship of Domaine Deiss. This Terroir is distinguished by its southern exposure and steepness with marl mixed with gypsum covered by the Vosges sandstone. The result is a rich, ageable wine of nobility, which magically combines an impression of strong extract with a weightless quality, very impressive.
ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS - "Fresh peach and citrus lusciously inform the Deiss 2010 Schoenenbourg, whose creamy texture and honeyed richness, are matched by vivacious juiciness. White pepper, chalk, quinine, and shimmering mineral matter offer invigoration and counterpoint in a sustained and dynamically complex finish. The sweetness here is supportive without remotely getting the upper hand, so that I can well imagine over the 20-25 years during which this beauty will deserve to be admired, its versatility at table will vary inversely with a diminishing sense of sweetness.
"The vintage is not a reliable partner of the vintner," declares Jean-Michel Deiss. "Rather, it is every year an obstacle. You have to bank on your terroir." It's certainly easy to understand such an attitude when confronted with two such dissimilarly tricky vintages as 2010 and 2011, in which Deiss also credits the stabilizing influence of his terroir and vine management in his having "harvested significantly more wine than my colleagues in 2010 and significantly less in 2011." Apropos the faithlessness of the growing season and of vintage character, Deiss is wont to interject whenever I effuse over the scents emanating from one of his bottlings that aroma, too, is capricious and unfaithful. "I'm seeking to create wines for the mouth, not the nose" he says.
- Item #: i_353329Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Grand Cru Schoenenbourg is still a bit discreet and reductive on the nose, but intense in its concentrated citrus (lemon confit) and earthy flavors. Sweet and piquant on the palate, this is a generous, lush and juicy, but firmly structured and vivacious, Schoenenbourg with a nice tannin grip, lingering and refreshing salinity. It has an exciting mineral structure in the finish and remains firm and precise. Very promising."
- Item #: i_344103Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's notes - This wine exclusively comes from vineyards of the Domain Marcel DEISS and is produced from 13 Alsatian grapes. These grapes express the story of Alsatian terroir.
Vinous Media 88 points: - "Medium straw. Aromas and flavors of ripe apricot, peach and spiced apple. Broad, fresh and dry in the mouth, with a clean, persistent finish. This lovely, easygoing white wine had me looking for a plate of bivalves." -- Ian D'Agata
- Item #: i_351603Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 93 POINTS - "Bright straw-yellow. Aromas and flavors of tangerine, guava, lemon jelly and lemon verbena are complicated by a strong presence of orange peel on the long back end. Outstanding acid-sugar balance (35 g/L residual sugar and 5.4 g/L total acidity) and a refined mouthfeel make this racy, fresh wine the best Gewürz from Weinbach in 2016. This really showcases the greatness that grand cru vines can deliver."
- Item #: i_353337Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 91 POINTS - "Pale straw-green. Bright, fresh and juicy, with Earl Grey, elderberry, mint and grapefruit on the nose and in the mouth. Very fruity and even more floral in its bright, vibrant personality thanks to the majority of Muscat Ottonel (70%) and less Muscat d’Alsace (30%); the latter variety gives structure, but it’s the former that gives perfume. Readers might like to know that this lovely Muscat wine from Weinbach usually picks up a note of menthol three or four years after the harvest. Makes a perfect aperitif wine."
- Item #: i_351602Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This creamy and dreamy gewurztraminer is very seductive with a great lightness of touch. Wonderfully fresh and bright at the long, spicy finish, which has a slight bitter-sweet twist. Drink or hold. Made from biodynamically grown grapes."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Bright yellow gold. Aromas of peach, melon and honeysuckle are complicated by a mineral element on the captivating nose. Dense and creamy, offering terrific depth to the peach, mango and clove flavors. Finishes with excellent clarity and cut. A beauty; I like how this displays a terrific balance of Gewürztraminer richness, sweetness and energy. In fact, much richer and sweeter than the Cuvée Théo, but also better balanced. Weinbach did not bottle their Gewürz Altenbourg and Gewürz Mambourg in 2017 because of a frost episode that greatly reduced production volumes, and so all those Grand Cru grapes were used to make this wine. The Cuvée Laurence is normally Weinbach’s best Gewürz anyway (in fact, I think it’s the estate’s best dry wine), but in 2017 it’s even better than usual."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "From the bottom of the Altenbourg, the 2017 Alsace Gewurztraminer Cuvée Laurence offers intense and generous yet bright fruit on the nose. Creamy, dense and concentrated, this is a very elegant and structured Gewurtz with a long finish."
- Item #: i_352486Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "This elegant Pinot Gris delivers the smoothness of a granitic soil with a flexible, round and medium-bodied flavor. The nose is filled with mineral, pear and stone fruit. On the palate, the wine envelops the mouth and caresses the palate with a touch of residual sugar and its fresh acidity and finishes dry. Although it certainly asserts itself now, this great wine will affirm its designation as a Grand Cru with age. In the Alsace, Pinot Gris is considered perfect partner to foie gras."
- Item #: i_345553Bottle Size: 750mlFrom a vineyard of 45 years old vine, opaque purple color. Wonderful notes of fresh berries, black cherries, with hint of gaminess and spices.
- Item #: i_300182Bottle Size: 750MLTasting notes by Serge Dubs, World's Best Sommelier 1989 :
Young, lively colour, moderately intense, bright lemon yellow with pistachio green hints, a flash of silver, delicately velvety and silky in appearance. Attractive, agreeable bouquet, not too forward, aromatic, perfumed, nicely elegant and refined. Mainly floral aromas of fresh rose, jasmine, reseda, lily, freesia, primrose, with passion fruit, mango and pear. The mouth is filled with aromas that are generous, yet still soft and suave to flatter and charm the palate. It is almost dry, with an elegant finish that is crisp and refreshing. A wine to enjoy now while it is young and its varietal qualities are clearly defined. Ideal as an aperitif, or at any time, to share an agreeable moment with friends. Serve at 8°C. Serve with cheese : munster, auvergne blue, stilton, aged goat's cheese, also with lightly spiced, tasty dishes, Chinese, Moroccan, Indian, and with fruit based cakes and desserts. May be aged for 2 to 3 years.
- Item #: i_351895Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC
IMPORTER NOTES - "Literally the “sheep’s path,” Schoffweg leads into Grasberg and is an exceptional terroir: a thin slab of Aalenian limestone perched above the plains, the ultimate extension of the hillock of Altenberg in Bergheim. It faces east, but the warmer climate is tamed by strong winds. Drained by the northern wind in summer, protected by the foehn in autumn, this very poor terroir with rocky yellow limestone provides an extremely complex expression, without noble rot.
- Item #: i_351893Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Certified organic (Ecocert) and biodynamic -
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The Deiss 2011 Grasberg leads with saline, alkaline and marine aromatics, though also with intimations of the diverse ripe peach, pear, and melons – backed by distinct sweetness – that mark a ripe and infectiously juicy though firm palate. There is grip and nearly explosive interactivity in the finish, with nut oils, nutmeg, caraway as well as mineral elements bouncing off of the rich, resilient base of ripe fruit. Hardship of site certainly seems to have borne positive results here. Look for exciting performances through at least 2025. Deiss finds this “a bit timid” when compared with the corresponding 2010, but those are hardly words I would use to describe it!"
VINOUS MEDIA 92+ POINTS - "Good full yellow. Aromatic nose of lime, gooseberry, cinnamon and white flowers, complicated by smoke and a whiff of varnish; shows obvious notes of noble rot and gewÃ¼rztraminer. Off-dry on the palate, offering notes of spicy rhubarb and candied rose petal. Finishes with slight heat but has the material to support the alcohol. From vines situated very close to the Rotenberg at 350 meters above sea level, exposed north. This colder, later-ripening site allows for a more complex co-plantation of grape varieties, and this is why there is gewÃ¼rztraminer here.
- Item #: i_351894Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The bright and fresh citrus color of the 2012 Langenberg indicates a traditional field blend of different (mostly white) grape varieties, such as Riesling and the early ripening Muscat and diverse Pinots. The complantation is cultivated on the poor and weathered granite soils of a steep, south-facing and terraced vineyard in St-Hippolyte, and all the grapes were picked in one passage. The wine starts with a lovely clear bouquet of white fruits and flowers, along with refreshing citrus flavors and a stony/mineral touch. The minerality is even more present and expressive on the palate which reveals a subtle, gently sweet and elegant fruit, as well as a lot of tension and vibrancy. The Langenberg finishes pure, minerally-piquant and salty and with a stimulating grip. “Granite gives tension and finesse, not volume,” says Jean-Marcel Deiss, adding that the Langenberg "is a strict and protestant" wine. However, it is excellent at least for the next 8 years."
- Item #: i_345853Bottle Size: 750MLRiesling by Marcel Deiss is a white wine made from grapes of more than 25 years old vines and it is a wine characterized by a remarkable complexity. A very ripe apple is felt on the nose, with a sensation due to chamomile herbal tea, mineral scents and di lime. The palate is dense and soft, fresh, sapid and slightly herbaceous. Organic wine, made with old style artisanal methods.
- Item #: i_345852Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine comes from the estate vineyards of Domaine Marcel Deiss. It is made from ripe Pinot Noir, with the utmost respect and without intervention. These grapes express the soil and climate of Alsace - it is a wine that speaks of our region : deep crimson color, complex and aromatic bouquet (hints of Burgundy's Cote de Nuits), silky mouthfeel, and thirst-quenching finish.
- Item #: i_334260Bottle Size: 750MLThe robe is a lemon-yellow, with light green reflections of average intensity. The disk is bright, limpid, transparent. The wine shows youth.The nose is frank, pleasant, intense. Elegant, one perceives dominances of fruity scents, citrus fruits, lime, lemon peel, as well as spices, ginger; Airing enhances the previous aromas and reveals a fine smoky mineral hint with a subtle underlying floral note. The nose shows a primary, reserved expression. The ripeness and health of the grapes are perfect.The onset in the mouth is moderately ample, fresh. The alcohol support is balanced. One evolves on a medium with a strict, incisive vivacity marked by a sparkling note. The range of aromas is reminiscent of the nose, dominated by citrus fruits, lemon peel, lime, always the spices, ginger, and this fine smoky mineral note. The finish has a beautiful length, 7-8 caudalies and a sharp, persistent vivacity.The balance of this wine is based on freshness. This crystalline wine renders perfectly the digestible character of this very beautiful terroir. Technical sheet by M. Pascal Leonetti"Best Sommelier of France 2006"
- Item #: i_334259Bottle Size: 750MLThe robe is light lemon yellow with green reflections of good intensity. The disk is bright, limpid and transparent. The nose is marked, pleasant and of good intensity with flowers, citrus fruits (lemon zest) and spices (white pepper). The nose has a nice character. Its youth shows radiance and a welcomed sensation of freshness. The balance is elegant and slightly strong, which gives the wine character.
- Item #: i_353514Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 91Wine Enthusiast: 91 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Cool, fresh and delicate with a very lively acidity, this delightful pinot blanc has spot-on balance. It is delicious now and will be an extremely flexible wine on the dining table. Made from biodynamically grown grapes."
- Item #: i_345460Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 89eROBERT PARKER 89 POINTS: "Signature smoky limestone and lemon flavors along with more international popcorn and fennel seed flavors open the 2012 Vin de Table Zind, a quite Burgundian wine that is not allowed to be marketed as Vin d'Alsace, due to the 23-year-old Chardonnay (65%) that is blended with coeval Auxerrois (35%); both varieties are cultivated in the Clos Windsbuhl, one of the top sites of the prestigious domaine. The wine is rich and intense on the palate, very pure, salty, and stimulatingly fresh and salty in the lingering finish. Rounder, bigger and richer than the 2013, although the alcohol volume is only 12.6%. "Unexpectedly, we have more residual sugar here (8 grams) because we had to ferment the wine in a new cask with no yeasts in it from previous vintages," explains Olivier Humbrecht. This might be the reason why I find the 2012 more saturating."
- Item #: i_350463Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "This has such attractive, fresh perfume with sweetly floral aromas, as well as sweetly fragrant and ripe lychees, peaches and roses. The palate is very attractive and succulent with such impressive concentration of lychees. Some honey and pastry, too. This is stunning. Full and gently sweet. Drink or hold."