- Item #: i_344103Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's notes - This wine exclusively comes from vineyards of the Domain Marcel DEISS and is produced from 13 Alsatian grapes. These grapes express the story of Alsatian terroir.
Vinous Media 88 points: - "Medium straw. Aromas and flavors of ripe apricot, peach and spiced apple. Broad, fresh and dry in the mouth, with a clean, persistent finish. This lovely, easygoing white wine had me looking for a plate of bivalves." -- Ian D'Agata
- Item #: i_351602Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This creamy and dreamy gewurztraminer is very seductive with a great lightness of touch. Wonderfully fresh and bright at the long, spicy finish, which has a slight bitter-sweet twist. Drink or hold. Made from biodynamically grown grapes."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Bright yellow gold. Aromas of peach, melon and honeysuckle are complicated by a mineral element on the captivating nose. Dense and creamy, offering terrific depth to the peach, mango and clove flavors. Finishes with excellent clarity and cut. A beauty; I like how this displays a terrific balance of Gewürztraminer richness, sweetness and energy. In fact, much richer and sweeter than the Cuvée Théo, but also better balanced. Weinbach did not bottle their Gewürz Altenbourg and Gewürz Mambourg in 2017 because of a frost episode that greatly reduced production volumes, and so all those Grand Cru grapes were used to make this wine. The Cuvée Laurence is normally Weinbach’s best Gewürz anyway (in fact, I think it’s the estate’s best dry wine), but in 2017 it’s even better than usual."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "From the bottom of the Altenbourg, the 2017 Alsace Gewurztraminer Cuvée Laurence offers intense and generous yet bright fruit on the nose. Creamy, dense and concentrated, this is a very elegant and structured Gewurtz with a long finish."
- Item #: i_350395Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Here there’s an extra layer of complexity, more depth to the melon, rose petal and wild strawberry aromas, while on the palate fine stony notes grip languid flavours of ripe cantaloupe melon, quince and conference pear. Delicately spiced and really quite long. Needs a little time but with a few years cellaring you can expect notes of truffle and spice to appear in this most food friendly of wines. To wit, in 2016 the 2008 vintage provided one half of an unforgettable pairing with a very rich dish involving a slow cooked egg and fresh white truffles – it wasn’t bettered all year. Altenbourg itself is a fine limestone based vineyard excellent for Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris. It is situated directly below Furstentum, not officially designated Grand Cru, but almost certainly Grand Cru in quality.
- Item #: i_350891Bottle Size: 750mlRiesling is the king of Alsatian wine and the love of the Faller family. A dry and intense wine with much finesse from the estate vineyard, Clos des Capuchins. “Théo” refers to Catherine’s father, the indomitable Théo Faller, one of the most respected winemakers in Alsace before his untimely death in 1979.
This is more typical of the varietal on the nose than the Réserve Personelle and also has much more vibrant acidity. Sweet and sour with pungent citric lemon elements on the palate...almost lemon confit. To finish there are notes of butter and Granny Smith apple. It is ripe, yet not heavy or alcoholic
- Item #: i_350641Bottle Size: 750mlGentil has become a joyous, convivial wine whose arrival the Hugel family always awaits with impatience in the spring following each vintage. Gentil shows pure, fresh aromas, very fruit-driven and floral, as well as expressive and flattering. On the palate, this dry wine has a lively, youthful fresh character that is refreshing, with a pleasant, scented finish. Gentil is a perfect wine to sip with friends or to enjoy with simple everyday meals. Gentil is best enjoyed chilled with saltwater and freshwater fish, shellfish, starters and hors d'oeuvres. Blend: 50% Sylvaner and Pinot Blanc, 15% Gewurztraminer, 22% Pinot Gris, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat
- Item #: i_300182Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS: "Has some of the earthy power and complexity of a grand cru. An excellent balance of white-fruit character with robust minerality and crisp acidity, driving the imposing finish. Drink or hold."
Tasting notes by Serge Dubs, World's Best Sommelier 1989 :
Young, lively colour, moderately intense, bright lemon yellow with pistachio green hints, a flash of silver, delicately velvety and silky in appearance. Attractive, agreeable bouquet, not too forward, aromatic, perfumed, nicely elegant and refined. Mainly floral aromas of fresh rose, jasmine, reseda, lily, freesia, primrose, with passion fruit, mango and pear. The mouth is filled with aromas that are generous, yet still soft and suave to flatter and charm the palate. It is almost dry, with an elegant finish that is crisp and refreshing. A wine to enjoy now while it is young and its varietal qualities are clearly defined. Ideal as an aperitif, or at any time, to share an agreeable moment with friends. Serve at 8°C. Serve with cheese : munster, auvergne blue, stilton, aged goat's cheese, also with lightly spiced, tasty dishes, Chinese, Moroccan, Indian, and with fruit based cakes and desserts. May be aged for 2 to 3 years.
- Item #: i_351291Bottle Size: 750mlIn Alsace, Pinot Noir not only grows but thrives, and yet it has long flown under the radar. The Pinot Noir from Kuentz-Bas is an accessible, versatile red. Exploding with fresh blackberry and gently peppery, this is a great companion for breezy summer nights.
- Item #: i_351895Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC
IMPORTER NOTES - "Literally the “sheep’s path,” Schoffweg leads into Grasberg and is an exceptional terroir: a thin slab of Aalenian limestone perched above the plains, the ultimate extension of the hillock of Altenberg in Bergheim. It faces east, but the warmer climate is tamed by strong winds. Drained by the northern wind in summer, protected by the foehn in autumn, this very poor terroir with rocky yellow limestone provides an extremely complex expression, without noble rot.
- Item #: i_345853Bottle Size: 750MLRiesling by Marcel Deiss is a white wine made from grapes of more than 25 years old vines and it is a wine characterized by a remarkable complexity. A very ripe apple is felt on the nose, with a sensation due to chamomile herbal tea, mineral scents and di lime. The palate is dense and soft, fresh, sapid and slightly herbaceous. Organic wine, made with old style artisanal methods.
- Item #: i_345857Bottle Size: 750MLMasson’s young Jacquére based white wines grown on limestone and schist, and aged only in stainless steel, crackle with electricity and elegant power. His entire range of nearly a dozen organic and naturally made wines are all stars in their own way. However, it is the wines that bear the name Apremont that take the range to unexpected heights. The family’s nine hectares of vines are primarily planted to Jacquère, a white grape variety that when grown on Apremont’s east facing limestone vineyards can (if farmed well) yield wines with a dense core of electricity, ripping acidity and always strong mineral impressions. Like many Alpine wine regions (for example, like Italy’s Valle d’Aosta and Alto Adige/Sudtirol) the climate can be unpredictable from week to week, but generally have hot summers and cold, harsh winters. The close proximity to the mountains brings these alpine foothills optimal diurnal shifts (large day and nighttime temperature swings), which during the months before harvest brings balanced physiological ripeness while maintaining fresh natural acidity. Crisp, Dry, Floral, Fruity, High acid, Light, Mineral
- Item #: i_352186Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the Schoech family growers in the village of Ammerschwihr—the heart of the vineyard land of Alsace, France—comes a fabulous white wine. The wine is grown in the far northeastern corner of the country, near Germany, hemmed in between the Vosges Mountains and the Rhine River. You’ll find Côtes d’ Ammerschwihr available in our region for around $20. The Côtes d’ Ammerschwihr is a dry white wine. It’s got a richness to it, but a floral quality, too, giving the wine lift. Where does that lift come from? The “secret ingredient,” in the winemaker’s recipe is 5% Muscat. Rather than giving you an extremely fruity, heavy apricot flavor, that very deliberate percentage allows for a light, floral updraft, making the wine gorgeous as we transition from summer to fall. Faith imagines drinking this wine all fall long.
- Item #: i_300092Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker Notes - " This pale yellow Riesling has green reflections. The wine opens with fresh and alluring aromas of lemon, grapefruit and peach. Upon aeration, notes of sweet cherry blossoms are framed by minerally firestone character. On the palate, impressions of freshness and elegance dominate this well-balanced wine, but further tasting reveals opulence and a softly spicy finish."
- Item #: i_334257Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "A touch of quince plays about the rich notes of peach and tangerine on the nose. An aromatic notion of dark fir honey leads onto a medium-sweet palate of ripe peach, zesty tangerine peel, golden mirabelles and lemon. The citrus elements provide a high-toned brightness that works very well with the sweet juiciness and richness of the palate. On the palate it is the wonderfully aromatic zestiness that lasts and lasts."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Just off-dry, this rich, silky white is vibrant, with a firm backbone of acidity and a structural frame that allows the flavors of blood orange granita, candied ginger, white peach and smoky mineral to shine through to the lasting finish. Drink now through 2029."
- Item #: i_334260Bottle Size: 750MLThe robe is a lemon-yellow, with light green reflections of average intensity. The disk is bright, limpid, transparent. The wine shows youth.The nose is frank, pleasant, intense. Elegant, one perceives dominances of fruity scents, citrus fruits, lime, lemon peel, as well as spices, ginger; Airing enhances the previous aromas and reveals a fine smoky mineral hint with a subtle underlying floral note. The nose shows a primary, reserved expression. The ripeness and health of the grapes are perfect.The onset in the mouth is moderately ample, fresh. The alcohol support is balanced. One evolves on a medium with a strict, incisive vivacity marked by a sparkling note. The range of aromas is reminiscent of the nose, dominated by citrus fruits, lemon peel, lime, always the spices, ginger, and this fine smoky mineral note. The finish has a beautiful length, 7-8 caudalies and a sharp, persistent vivacity.The balance of this wine is based on freshness. This crystalline wine renders perfectly the digestible character of this very beautiful terroir. Technical sheet by M. Pascal Leonetti"Best Sommelier of France 2006"
- Item #: i_350700Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "The nose gives appetizing glimpses of pure ripe juicy pear. These flavors blossom fully on the palate and leave a most harmonious picture of ample, dry, but well-expressed pear fruit with lovely freshness. Everything here happens with ease. The finish is pure and fresh."
- Item #: i_334259Bottle Size: 750MLDomaines Schlumberger was founded in 1810, when Nicolas Schlumberger established his vineyards on the renowned, sunny slopes above the town of Guebwiller. With a holding of more than 140 hectares of vineyards, Domaines Schlumberger are not only the largest owners of vineyards in Alsace, but also have the largest Grand Cru holding of 70 hectares. Les Prince Abbes range of wines is the entry point range of wines and is Named after the Prince Abbots who owned the vineyard from the 9th to the 18th century. The focus here is on the expression of classic varietal characteristics at an affordable price. Domaines Schlumberger Pinot Blanc Les Princes Abbes is blend of 70% Pinot Blanc and 30% Auxerrois. This is a well-structured wine with a dry character. Pairs well with summer salads, quiches and terrines, white fish.
- Item #: i_345654Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94James Suckling: 96Decanter: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "A phenomenal wine with roasted pineapple, dried pear, apple and mineral. Full body, incredible depth of fruit and liveliness with electrifying acidity. It goes on for minutes. Production was half."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "Unusually, the 2010 (grown organically) has a proportion of malolactic, giving a rounder, gentler feel. Unfurling now, with notes of apple, plum and turmeric. Full, dry, expressive, generous, complex – this is wonderful."
VINOUS 95 POINTS - "Bright, pale straw-yellow. Deep, intense aromas of yellow apple, mirabelle, jasmine and anise. Dense, suave and tangy, showing a lovely light touch and noteworthy lift to its flavors of apple, pear, minerals and flowers thanks to eye-watering acidity. Finishes cool, vibrant and palate-staining, with lingering notes of mint and liquid minerals."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Prominently briny and alkaline in a manner that comes as no surprise given the showing of the corresponding classic and Reserve bottlings, Trimbach’s 2010 Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile delivers mouthwatering intrigue of oyster liquor, iodine, and oyster shell, its near severity and firmness akin to 2008 but its infectious juiciness and sheer energy more impressive. White peach with its pit as well as hints of huckleberry, sloe berry and nut oils lend succulence as well as piquancy to the long, lemony, almost piercingly bright, minerally palate-coating finish. Tasted alongside the corresponding 2011, this proves even clearer and more rivetingly dynamic. I anticipate it excelling through at least 2028."
- Item #: i_345264Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "A flinty, sculpted white, weaving a steely structure with flavors of grapefruit sorbet, crunchy green pear, dried mint and lemon curd together like finest silk. Offers a long, minerally finish."
- Item #: i_373717Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the noblest of Alsace grapes, it produces a full, heady, rich fruity style, often with a lushness of aftertaste. Its great depth is balanced by the crisp acidity that gives structure and longevity. A slight smokiness, combined with underlying delicacy, is a typical feature.The selection of very ripe grapes allows this Pinot Gris Reserve to match wonderfully with exotic, asiatic and japanese food. Superb with food, the Pinot Gris comes into its own with terrines, foie gras, smoked fish, fish in sauce (notably salmon) and white meats.
- Item #: i_334123Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 90Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Wet stone and fresh lemon are faint but distinct on the nose. A pure lemon flavor streaks across the slender, taut palate, with a comet-like spray of freshness. This wine is dry and, if it weren't for juicy glimpses of ripe lemon, would be almost austere."
JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "Quite tart and firm. This has enough depth to carry well, and there's a great burst of candied-citrus character at the long finish. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_345460Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 89eROBERT PARKER 89 POINTS: "Signature smoky limestone and lemon flavors along with more international popcorn and fennel seed flavors open the 2012 Vin de Table Zind, a quite Burgundian wine that is not allowed to be marketed as Vin d'Alsace, due to the 23-year-old Chardonnay (65%) that is blended with coeval Auxerrois (35%); both varieties are cultivated in the Clos Windsbuhl, one of the top sites of the prestigious domaine. The wine is rich and intense on the palate, very pure, salty, and stimulatingly fresh and salty in the lingering finish. Rounder, bigger and richer than the 2013, although the alcohol volume is only 12.6%. "Unexpectedly, we have more residual sugar here (8 grams) because we had to ferment the wine in a new cask with no yeasts in it from previous vintages," explains Olivier Humbrecht. This might be the reason why I find the 2012 more saturating."