- Item #: i_321045Bottle Size: 750ml100% JACQUERE
From 50 year old vines grown on marl and limestone. This light easy driking wine is the perfect hot weather wine. Low alcohol, light and flavorful perfect before dinner or for just sitting on the patio taking in the sun.
- Item #: i_353164Bottle Size: 750mlCertified biodynamic by Demeter since 2016, certi- fied organic by ecocert since 2010, practicing organic since 1996.
Jean-Marie Bechtold is the fourth generation to steward this traditional domaine. He began working with his father in 1980 and took the reins in 1995. The estate is located in Kirchheim, west of Strasbourg in the slopes of the “Couronne d’Or”, a region with 2000 years of viticultural history. Bechtold controls 12 hectares of vineyards and is the only organic grower in the village ( Jean-Marie Bechtold is currently making the conversion to biodynamic viticulture) and one of the few to harvest by hand. The estate provides the best examples of five of the Bas-Rhin's greatest vineyards (two of which are calssified grand cru): The Sussenberg, Engelberg, Sil- berberg, Steinklotz, and Obere Hund. The domaine’s wines have a silky structure without being soft and they are complex without being overwhelming; they offer classic examples of the flavor and structure that defines this special terroir: cool, refined, dignified.
- Item #: i_353163Bottle Size: 750mlImporter Neal Rosenthal: “Nef des Folles” translates to “the nave of the mad”—a nave being the central area of a church which houses the congregation. Jean-Marie may well consider himself slightly mad, in his gently self-deprecating way, for such unorthodox experimentation, but this wine makes a wholly compelling plea for his sanity. Comprising Pinot Gris from the Obere Hund vineyard macerated for twelve days on its skins and aged in a single old foudre, this 2018 is vivid and luscious, with notes of honeycomb, ripe apricot, and chamomile. It is both palate-coating and gentle, exuding a sense of calm in its equipoise, and its total lack of added sulfur manifests in a palate of great purity and directness. Only 100 cases were imported."
- Item #: i_333508Bottle Size: 750MLBeck-Hartweg has a mere 5.5 ha growed organic. This Riesling is attractive, classic fragrance with citrus, apple and a spicy pepper. The taste is solid and tight with elegant fruit. Typical from its granitic terroir, this Riesling is dry, elegant and shows a nice minerality. It is long in mouth and has some floral notes with a nice purity. Enjoy with oysters and fish
- Item #: i_352545Bottle Size: 750mlThe Beck-Hartweg vineyard has one more special feature: 25% is classified as Grand Cru Frankstein (only 4% of the total Grand Cru production of Alsatian wine has this classification) and is spread among four south-east sloping hillsides of solid granite. The mountain granite soil is a composite of light, stony,shallow sand and forces the roots to penetrate down into the rock fissures for nutrients which gives the wine crystalline minerality and long finish.
- Item #: i_345653Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 94+ POINTS - "Luminous straw-yellow. Lemon, minerals, lime and pomaceous orchard fruit, and actually not much of the spice typically associated with granite soils. Long and lively in the mouth, and boasting noteworthy clarity and cut thanks to juicy acidity that channels the flavor molecules directly onto the taste buds. More restrained than the Sommerberg, but also more refined, with sneaky concentration and depth. These vines were planted in the 1970s and are located higher up than Boxler’s two Sommerberg parcels where there is a warmer microclimate. The slightly tactile note on the finish had me thinking some cold-soaking had been done, but Boxler told me it was not so, as he prefers to press the grapes very slowly and that leads to wines with bigger extract and palate presence, accounting for the wine’s tactile sensation."
- Item #: i_344103Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's notes - This wine exclusively comes from vineyards of the Domain Marcel DEISS and is produced from 13 Alsatian grapes. These grapes express the story of Alsatian terroir.
Vinous Media 88 points: - "Medium straw. Aromas and flavors of ripe apricot, peach and spiced apple. Broad, fresh and dry in the mouth, with a clean, persistent finish. This lovely, easygoing white wine had me looking for a plate of bivalves." -- Ian D'Agata
- Item #: i_352076Bottle Size: 750mlFull-bodied and structured Pinot Blanc, yet bone-dry and mouthwatering. It exudes fresh and fruity aromas of yellow peaches and nectarine. A hint of hazelnut comes out with air. The mouthfeel is dense yet lent tension by its zesty minerality.
- Item #: i_353147Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsBIODYNAMIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Subtle hints of ripe peach and Mandarin appear on the nose accompanied by a breezy tone of wet stone. The fresh palate corrals its ripe citrus notes with a pleasantly bitter hint of pith. There is ripeness but also crunchiness within this concentrated cosmos of citrus. In the end it all merges into a citrus-scented, energetic and dry path of aromatic freshness."
- Item #: i_352628Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92ROBERT PARKER 92 POINTS: "Weinbach's 2017 Alsace Riesling Cuvée Colette is pure and flinty on the nose, with discreet tropical fruit aromas. Full-bodied and firmly structured on the palate, this is an intensely flavored, quite rich and persistent Riesling with stunningly good length."
- Item #: i_352486Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "This elegant Pinot Gris delivers the smoothness of a granitic soil with a flexible, round and medium-bodied flavor. The nose is filled with mineral, pear and stone fruit. On the palate, the wine envelops the mouth and caresses the palate with a touch of residual sugar and its fresh acidity and finishes dry. Although it certainly asserts itself now, this great wine will affirm its designation as a Grand Cru with age. In the Alsace, Pinot Gris is considered perfect partner to foie gras."
- Item #: i_345553Bottle Size: 750mlFrom a vineyard of 45 years old vine, opaque purple color. Wonderful notes of fresh berries, black cherries, with hint of gaminess and spices.
- Item #: i_350641Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A joyful dry white that's brimming with fruit aromas, from pears to lychee to flowers. A medium body with a very attractive balance of juicy fruit and fresh acidity. A properly dry finish."
Gentil has become a joyous, convivial wine whose arrival the Hugel family always awaits with impatience in the spring following each vintage. Gentil shows pure, fresh aromas, very fruit-driven and floral, as well as expressive and flattering. On the palate, this dry wine has a lively, youthful fresh character that is refreshing, with a pleasant, scented finish. Gentil is a perfect wine to sip with friends or to enjoy with simple everyday meals. Gentil is best enjoyed chilled with saltwater and freshwater fish, shellfish, starters and hors d'oeuvres. Blend: 50% Sylvaner and Pinot Blanc, 15% Gewurztraminer, 22% Pinot Gris, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat
- Item #: i_300182Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS: "Has some of the earthy power and complexity of a grand cru. An excellent balance of white-fruit character with robust minerality and crisp acidity, driving the imposing finish. Drink or hold."
Tasting notes by Serge Dubs, World's Best Sommelier 1989 :
Young, lively colour, moderately intense, bright lemon yellow with pistachio green hints, a flash of silver, delicately velvety and silky in appearance. Attractive, agreeable bouquet, not too forward, aromatic, perfumed, nicely elegant and refined. Mainly floral aromas of fresh rose, jasmine, reseda, lily, freesia, primrose, with passion fruit, mango and pear. The mouth is filled with aromas that are generous, yet still soft and suave to flatter and charm the palate. It is almost dry, with an elegant finish that is crisp and refreshing. A wine to enjoy now while it is young and its varietal qualities are clearly defined. Ideal as an aperitif, or at any time, to share an agreeable moment with friends. Serve at 8°C. Serve with cheese : munster, auvergne blue, stilton, aged goat's cheese, also with lightly spiced, tasty dishes, Chinese, Moroccan, Indian, and with fruit based cakes and desserts. May be aged for 2 to 3 years.
- Item #: i_351895Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC
IMPORTER NOTES - "Literally the “sheep’s path,” Schoffweg leads into Grasberg and is an exceptional terroir: a thin slab of Aalenian limestone perched above the plains, the ultimate extension of the hillock of Altenberg in Bergheim. It faces east, but the warmer climate is tamed by strong winds. Drained by the northern wind in summer, protected by the foehn in autumn, this very poor terroir with rocky yellow limestone provides an extremely complex expression, without noble rot.
- Item #: i_345852Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine comes from the estate vineyards of Domaine Marcel Deiss. It is made from ripe Pinot Noir, with the utmost respect and without intervention. These grapes express the soil and climate of Alsace - it is a wine that speaks of our region : deep crimson color, complex and aromatic bouquet (hints of Burgundy's Cote de Nuits), silky mouthfeel, and thirst-quenching finish.
- Item #: i_352186Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the Schoech family growers in the village of Ammerschwihr—the heart of the vineyard land of Alsace, France—comes a fabulous white wine. The wine is grown in the far northeastern corner of the country, near Germany, hemmed in between the Vosges Mountains and the Rhine River. You’ll find Côtes d’ Ammerschwihr available in our region for around $20. The Côtes d’ Ammerschwihr is a dry white wine. It’s got a richness to it, but a floral quality, too, giving the wine lift. Where does that lift come from? The “secret ingredient,” in the winemaker’s recipe is 5% Muscat. Rather than giving you an extremely fruity, heavy apricot flavor, that very deliberate percentage allows for a light, floral updraft, making the wine gorgeous as we transition from summer to fall. Faith imagines drinking this wine all fall long.
- Item #: i_334259Bottle Size: 750MLThe robe is light lemon yellow with green reflections of good intensity. The disk is bright, limpid and transparent. The nose is marked, pleasant and of good intensity with flowers, citrus fruits (lemon zest) and spices (white pepper). The nose has a nice character. Its youth shows radiance and a welcomed sensation of freshness. The balance is elegant and slightly strong, which gives the wine character.
- Item #: i_303951Bottle Size: 750MLThese wines are especially interesting as they are made bio dynamically, the producer, Andre Ostertag, is a radical in the area and chooses to give some of his wines the barrique treatment. This Sylvaner is "Vieilles Vignes" (old vines) and touted as possibly the best example of this Austrian grape grown in Alsace.
There is a slight hint of lime zest and fern on the nose. The palate is more expressive but in a slender, subtle way, offering a lime zest flavor countered by white pepper and a streak of green fern. Citrus freshness tingles everywhere and even has a pithy, textural element to it.
- Item #: i_373047Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 90 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Very ripe notes of pear and peach dominate the nose, while the palate brims with freshness. The concentrated body has texture from the zestiness but also that background of ripe richness. It finishes completely dry, with a streak of mandarin on the long finish."