- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: i_352909Bottle Size: 750mlORGANIC - "Albert Mann estate from the Barthelmé family is considered by Robert Parker as the elite of Alsace. With good reason, as the house delivers wines of great depth and even some exceptional Burgundy-style reds, a rare sight in the region. The estate is certified organic since 2000 and has applied biodynamic principles since 1997. This cuvee is produced from the Auxerrois varietal, a grape often mistaken for Pinot Blanc, or often assembled to it. There is a slight sweetness in the wine, balanced by nice acidity. It is marked by flavours of honey, white flowers, quince, Golden delicious apple, peach and smoke."
- Item #: i_333510Bottle Size: 750MLFlorian Beck-Hartweg, along with parents Michel and Yvette, share the philosophy that great wines aren't made in the cellar but in vineyards. Fermentation and aging is completed only in old oak casks, that don't interfere in any way with the taste of the wine (casks are 100 years old or so!). Fermentation with natural yeasts, and absolutely no other addition to the wine other than SO2, in small quantity of course. This newly imported producer follows the organic chart: absolutely, using no chemical products in the vineyards and absolutely no fertilization (chemical or organic) because Florian maintains that if the soil is healthy, microorganisms are able to give to the vineyard what it needs. By promoting biodiversity, better resistance against diseases and rotting is achieved. So when all this is done, it is very easy to spray less and only with natural products (sulfur, copper and plant extracts).
- Item #: i_333508Bottle Size: 750MLBeck-Hartweg has a mere 5.5 ha growed organic. This Riesling is attractive, classic fragrance with citrus, apple and a spicy pepper. The taste is solid and tight with elegant fruit. Typical from its granitic terroir, this Riesling is dry, elegant and shows a nice minerality. It is long in mouth and has some floral notes with a nice purity. Enjoy with oysters and fish
- Item #: i_352545Bottle Size: 750mlThe Beck-Hartweg vineyard has one more special feature: 25% is classified as Grand Cru Frankstein (only 4% of the total Grand Cru production of Alsatian wine has this classification) and is spread among four south-east sloping hillsides of solid granite. The mountain granite soil is a composite of light, stony,shallow sand and forces the roots to penetrate down into the rock fissures for nutrients which gives the wine crystalline minerality and long finish.
- Item #: i_344103Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's notes - This wine exclusively comes from vineyards of the Domain Marcel DEISS and is produced from 13 Alsatian grapes. These grapes express the story of Alsatian terroir.
Vinous Media 88 points: - "Medium straw. Aromas and flavors of ripe apricot, peach and spiced apple. Broad, fresh and dry in the mouth, with a clean, persistent finish. This lovely, easygoing white wine had me looking for a plate of bivalves." -- Ian D'Agata
- Item #: i_351602Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This creamy and dreamy gewurztraminer is very seductive with a great lightness of touch. Wonderfully fresh and bright at the long, spicy finish, which has a slight bitter-sweet twist. Drink or hold. Made from biodynamically grown grapes."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Bright yellow gold. Aromas of peach, melon and honeysuckle are complicated by a mineral element on the captivating nose. Dense and creamy, offering terrific depth to the peach, mango and clove flavors. Finishes with excellent clarity and cut. A beauty; I like how this displays a terrific balance of Gewürztraminer richness, sweetness and energy. In fact, much richer and sweeter than the Cuvée Théo, but also better balanced. Weinbach did not bottle their Gewürz Altenbourg and Gewürz Mambourg in 2017 because of a frost episode that greatly reduced production volumes, and so all those Grand Cru grapes were used to make this wine. The Cuvée Laurence is normally Weinbach’s best Gewürz anyway (in fact, I think it’s the estate’s best dry wine), but in 2017 it’s even better than usual."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "From the bottom of the Altenbourg, the 2017 Alsace Gewurztraminer Cuvée Laurence offers intense and generous yet bright fruit on the nose. Creamy, dense and concentrated, this is a very elegant and structured Gewurtz with a long finish."
- Item #: i_350395Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Here there’s an extra layer of complexity, more depth to the melon, rose petal and wild strawberry aromas, while on the palate fine stony notes grip languid flavours of ripe cantaloupe melon, quince and conference pear. Delicately spiced and really quite long. Needs a little time but with a few years cellaring you can expect notes of truffle and spice to appear in this most food friendly of wines. To wit, in 2016 the 2008 vintage provided one half of an unforgettable pairing with a very rich dish involving a slow cooked egg and fresh white truffles – it wasn’t bettered all year. Altenbourg itself is a fine limestone based vineyard excellent for Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris. It is situated directly below Furstentum, not officially designated Grand Cru, but almost certainly Grand Cru in quality.
- Item #: i_352628Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92ROBERT PARKER 92 POINTS: "Weinbach's 2017 Alsace Riesling Cuvée Colette is pure and flinty on the nose, with discreet tropical fruit aromas. Full-bodied and firmly structured on the palate, this is an intensely flavored, quite rich and persistent Riesling with stunningly good length."
- Item #: i_350891Bottle Size: 750mlRiesling is the king of Alsatian wine and the love of the Faller family. A dry and intense wine with much finesse from the estate vineyard, Clos des Capuchins. “Théo” refers to Catherine’s father, the indomitable Théo Faller, one of the most respected winemakers in Alsace before his untimely death in 1979.
This is more typical of the varietal on the nose than the Réserve Personelle and also has much more vibrant acidity. Sweet and sour with pungent citric lemon elements on the palate...almost lemon confit. To finish there are notes of butter and Granny Smith apple. It is ripe, yet not heavy or alcoholic
- Item #: i_352486Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "This elegant Pinot Gris delivers the smoothness of a granitic soil with a flexible, round and medium-bodied flavor. The nose is filled with mineral, pear and stone fruit. On the palate, the wine envelops the mouth and caresses the palate with a touch of residual sugar and its fresh acidity and finishes dry. Although it certainly asserts itself now, this great wine will affirm its designation as a Grand Cru with age. In the Alsace, Pinot Gris is considered perfect partner to foie gras."
- Item #: i_345553Bottle Size: 750mlFrom a vineyard of 45 years old vine, opaque purple color. Wonderful notes of fresh berries, black cherries, with hint of gaminess and spices.
- Item #: i_350641Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A joyful dry white that's brimming with fruit aromas, from pears to lychee to flowers. A medium body with a very attractive balance of juicy fruit and fresh acidity. A properly dry finish."
Gentil has become a joyous, convivial wine whose arrival the Hugel family always awaits with impatience in the spring following each vintage. Gentil shows pure, fresh aromas, very fruit-driven and floral, as well as expressive and flattering. On the palate, this dry wine has a lively, youthful fresh character that is refreshing, with a pleasant, scented finish. Gentil is a perfect wine to sip with friends or to enjoy with simple everyday meals. Gentil is best enjoyed chilled with saltwater and freshwater fish, shellfish, starters and hors d'oeuvres. Blend: 50% Sylvaner and Pinot Blanc, 15% Gewurztraminer, 22% Pinot Gris, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat
- Item #: i_300182Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS: "Has some of the earthy power and complexity of a grand cru. An excellent balance of white-fruit character with robust minerality and crisp acidity, driving the imposing finish. Drink or hold."
Tasting notes by Serge Dubs, World's Best Sommelier 1989 :
Young, lively colour, moderately intense, bright lemon yellow with pistachio green hints, a flash of silver, delicately velvety and silky in appearance. Attractive, agreeable bouquet, not too forward, aromatic, perfumed, nicely elegant and refined. Mainly floral aromas of fresh rose, jasmine, reseda, lily, freesia, primrose, with passion fruit, mango and pear. The mouth is filled with aromas that are generous, yet still soft and suave to flatter and charm the palate. It is almost dry, with an elegant finish that is crisp and refreshing. A wine to enjoy now while it is young and its varietal qualities are clearly defined. Ideal as an aperitif, or at any time, to share an agreeable moment with friends. Serve at 8°C. Serve with cheese : munster, auvergne blue, stilton, aged goat's cheese, also with lightly spiced, tasty dishes, Chinese, Moroccan, Indian, and with fruit based cakes and desserts. May be aged for 2 to 3 years.
- Item #: i_351291Bottle Size: 750mlIn Alsace, Pinot Noir not only grows but thrives, and yet it has long flown under the radar. The Pinot Noir from Kuentz-Bas is an accessible, versatile red. Exploding with fresh blackberry and gently peppery, this is a great companion for breezy summer nights.
- Item #: i_351895Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC
IMPORTER NOTES - "Literally the “sheep’s path,” Schoffweg leads into Grasberg and is an exceptional terroir: a thin slab of Aalenian limestone perched above the plains, the ultimate extension of the hillock of Altenberg in Bergheim. It faces east, but the warmer climate is tamed by strong winds. Drained by the northern wind in summer, protected by the foehn in autumn, this very poor terroir with rocky yellow limestone provides an extremely complex expression, without noble rot.
- Item #: i_345852Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine comes from the estate vineyards of Domaine Marcel Deiss. It is made from ripe Pinot Noir, with the utmost respect and without intervention. These grapes express the soil and climate of Alsace - it is a wine that speaks of our region : deep crimson color, complex and aromatic bouquet (hints of Burgundy's Cote de Nuits), silky mouthfeel, and thirst-quenching finish.
- Item #: i_352186Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the Schoech family growers in the village of Ammerschwihr—the heart of the vineyard land of Alsace, France—comes a fabulous white wine. The wine is grown in the far northeastern corner of the country, near Germany, hemmed in between the Vosges Mountains and the Rhine River. You’ll find Côtes d’ Ammerschwihr available in our region for around $20. The Côtes d’ Ammerschwihr is a dry white wine. It’s got a richness to it, but a floral quality, too, giving the wine lift. Where does that lift come from? The “secret ingredient,” in the winemaker’s recipe is 5% Muscat. Rather than giving you an extremely fruity, heavy apricot flavor, that very deliberate percentage allows for a light, floral updraft, making the wine gorgeous as we transition from summer to fall. Faith imagines drinking this wine all fall long.
- Item #: i_334257Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "A touch of quince plays about the rich notes of peach and tangerine on the nose. An aromatic notion of dark fir honey leads onto a medium-sweet palate of ripe peach, zesty tangerine peel, golden mirabelles and lemon. The citrus elements provide a high-toned brightness that works very well with the sweet juiciness and richness of the palate. On the palate it is the wonderfully aromatic zestiness that lasts and lasts."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Just off-dry, this rich, silky white is vibrant, with a firm backbone of acidity and a structural frame that allows the flavors of blood orange granita, candied ginger, white peach and smoky mineral to shine through to the lasting finish. Drink now through 2029."
- Item #: i_334259Bottle Size: 750MLDomaines Schlumberger was founded in 1810, when Nicolas Schlumberger established his vineyards on the renowned, sunny slopes above the town of Guebwiller. With a holding of more than 140 hectares of vineyards, Domaines Schlumberger are not only the largest owners of vineyards in Alsace, but also have the largest Grand Cru holding of 70 hectares. Les Prince Abbes range of wines is the entry point range of wines and is Named after the Prince Abbots who owned the vineyard from the 9th to the 18th century. The focus here is on the expression of classic varietal characteristics at an affordable price. Domaines Schlumberger Pinot Blanc Les Princes Abbes is blend of 70% Pinot Blanc and 30% Auxerrois. This is a well-structured wine with a dry character. Pairs well with summer salads, quiches and terrines, white fish.