- Item #: i_353164Bottle Size: 750mlCertified biodynamic by Demeter since 2016, certi- fied organic by ecocert since 2010, practicing organic since 1996.
Jean-Marie Bechtold is the fourth generation to steward this traditional domaine. He began working with his father in 1980 and took the reins in 1995. The estate is located in Kirchheim, west of Strasbourg in the slopes of the “Couronne d’Or”, a region with 2000 years of viticultural history. Bechtold controls 12 hectares of vineyards and is the only organic grower in the village ( Jean-Marie Bechtold is currently making the conversion to biodynamic viticulture) and one of the few to harvest by hand. The estate provides the best examples of five of the Bas-Rhin's greatest vineyards (two of which are calssified grand cru): The Sussenberg, Engelberg, Sil- berberg, Steinklotz, and Obere Hund. The domaine’s wines have a silky structure without being soft and they are complex without being overwhelming; they offer classic examples of the flavor and structure that defines this special terroir: cool, refined, dignified.
- Item #: i_352545Bottle Size: 750mlThe Beck-Hartweg vineyard has one more special feature: 25% is classified as Grand Cru Frankstein (only 4% of the total Grand Cru production of Alsatian wine has this classification) and is spread among four south-east sloping hillsides of solid granite. The mountain granite soil is a composite of light, stony,shallow sand and forces the roots to penetrate down into the rock fissures for nutrients which gives the wine crystalline minerality and long finish.
- Item #: i_344105Bottle Size: 750MLThe famous Schoenenbourg vineyard is sourced for the flagship of Domaine Deiss. This Terroir is distinguished by its southern exposure and steepness with marl mixed with gypsum covered by the Vosges sandstone. The result is a rich, ageable wine of nobility, which magically combines an impression of strong extract with a weightless quality, very impressive.
ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS - "Fresh peach and citrus lusciously inform the Deiss 2010 Schoenenbourg, whose creamy texture and honeyed richness, are matched by vivacious juiciness. White pepper, chalk, quinine, and shimmering mineral matter offer invigoration and counterpoint in a sustained and dynamically complex finish. The sweetness here is supportive without remotely getting the upper hand, so that I can well imagine over the 20-25 years during which this beauty will deserve to be admired, its versatility at table will vary inversely with a diminishing sense of sweetness.
"The vintage is not a reliable partner of the vintner," declares Jean-Michel Deiss. "Rather, it is every year an obstacle. You have to bank on your terroir." It's certainly easy to understand such an attitude when confronted with two such dissimilarly tricky vintages as 2010 and 2011, in which Deiss also credits the stabilizing influence of his terroir and vine management in his having "harvested significantly more wine than my colleagues in 2010 and significantly less in 2011." Apropos the faithlessness of the growing season and of vintage character, Deiss is wont to interject whenever I effuse over the scents emanating from one of his bottlings that aroma, too, is capricious and unfaithful. "I'm seeking to create wines for the mouth, not the nose" he says.
- Item #: i_353329Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Grand Cru Schoenenbourg is still a bit discreet and reductive on the nose, but intense in its concentrated citrus (lemon confit) and earthy flavors. Sweet and piquant on the palate, this is a generous, lush and juicy, but firmly structured and vivacious, Schoenenbourg with a nice tannin grip, lingering and refreshing salinity. It has an exciting mineral structure in the finish and remains firm and precise. Very promising."
- Item #: i_344103Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's notes - This wine exclusively comes from vineyards of the Domain Marcel DEISS and is produced from 13 Alsatian grapes. These grapes express the story of Alsatian terroir.
Vinous Media 88 points: - "Medium straw. Aromas and flavors of ripe apricot, peach and spiced apple. Broad, fresh and dry in the mouth, with a clean, persistent finish. This lovely, easygoing white wine had me looking for a plate of bivalves." -- Ian D'Agata
- Item #: i_352076Bottle Size: 750mlFull-bodied and structured Pinot Blanc, yet bone-dry and mouthwatering. It exudes fresh and fruity aromas of yellow peaches and nectarine. A hint of hazelnut comes out with air. The mouthfeel is dense yet lent tension by its zesty minerality.
- Item #: i_353147Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsBIODYNAMIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Subtle hints of ripe peach and Mandarin appear on the nose accompanied by a breezy tone of wet stone. The fresh palate corrals its ripe citrus notes with a pleasantly bitter hint of pith. There is ripeness but also crunchiness within this concentrated cosmos of citrus. In the end it all merges into a citrus-scented, energetic and dry path of aromatic freshness."
- Item #: i_351603Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 93 POINTS - "Bright straw-yellow. Aromas and flavors of tangerine, guava, lemon jelly and lemon verbena are complicated by a strong presence of orange peel on the long back end. Outstanding acid-sugar balance (35 g/L residual sugar and 5.4 g/L total acidity) and a refined mouthfeel make this racy, fresh wine the best Gewürz from Weinbach in 2016. This really showcases the greatness that grand cru vines can deliver."
- Item #: i_353337Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 91 POINTS - "Pale straw-green. Bright, fresh and juicy, with Earl Grey, elderberry, mint and grapefruit on the nose and in the mouth. Very fruity and even more floral in its bright, vibrant personality thanks to the majority of Muscat Ottonel (70%) and less Muscat d’Alsace (30%); the latter variety gives structure, but it’s the former that gives perfume. Readers might like to know that this lovely Muscat wine from Weinbach usually picks up a note of menthol three or four years after the harvest. Makes a perfect aperitif wine."
- Item #: i_350395Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 94 POINTS - "Good full yellow with golden highlights. Pretty, floral aromas of yellow peach, strawberry, orange zest and balsamic oils. Very rich and suave in the mouth, featuring bitter orange jam and floral flavors. Finishes long and firm, but not hard, with outstanding length, youthfully chewy tannins and noteworthy power. Needs time. Best with blue cheeses and foie gras dishes."
- Item #: i_352486Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "This elegant Pinot Gris delivers the smoothness of a granitic soil with a flexible, round and medium-bodied flavor. The nose is filled with mineral, pear and stone fruit. On the palate, the wine envelops the mouth and caresses the palate with a touch of residual sugar and its fresh acidity and finishes dry. Although it certainly asserts itself now, this great wine will affirm its designation as a Grand Cru with age. In the Alsace, Pinot Gris is considered perfect partner to foie gras."
- Item #: i_350641Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A joyful dry white that's brimming with fruit aromas, from pears to lychee to flowers. A medium body with a very attractive balance of juicy fruit and fresh acidity. A properly dry finish."
Gentil has become a joyous, convivial wine whose arrival the Hugel family always awaits with impatience in the spring following each vintage. Gentil shows pure, fresh aromas, very fruit-driven and floral, as well as expressive and flattering. On the palate, this dry wine has a lively, youthful fresh character that is refreshing, with a pleasant, scented finish. Gentil is a perfect wine to sip with friends or to enjoy with simple everyday meals. Gentil is best enjoyed chilled with saltwater and freshwater fish, shellfish, starters and hors d'oeuvres. Blend: 50% Sylvaner and Pinot Blanc, 15% Gewurztraminer, 22% Pinot Gris, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat
- Item #: i_300182Bottle Size: 750MLTasting notes by Serge Dubs, World's Best Sommelier 1989 :
Young, lively colour, moderately intense, bright lemon yellow with pistachio green hints, a flash of silver, delicately velvety and silky in appearance. Attractive, agreeable bouquet, not too forward, aromatic, perfumed, nicely elegant and refined. Mainly floral aromas of fresh rose, jasmine, reseda, lily, freesia, primrose, with passion fruit, mango and pear. The mouth is filled with aromas that are generous, yet still soft and suave to flatter and charm the palate. It is almost dry, with an elegant finish that is crisp and refreshing. A wine to enjoy now while it is young and its varietal qualities are clearly defined. Ideal as an aperitif, or at any time, to share an agreeable moment with friends. Serve at 8°C. Serve with cheese : munster, auvergne blue, stilton, aged goat's cheese, also with lightly spiced, tasty dishes, Chinese, Moroccan, Indian, and with fruit based cakes and desserts. May be aged for 2 to 3 years.
- Item #: i_351895Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC
IMPORTER NOTES - "Literally the “sheep’s path,” Schoffweg leads into Grasberg and is an exceptional terroir: a thin slab of Aalenian limestone perched above the plains, the ultimate extension of the hillock of Altenberg in Bergheim. It faces east, but the warmer climate is tamed by strong winds. Drained by the northern wind in summer, protected by the foehn in autumn, this very poor terroir with rocky yellow limestone provides an extremely complex expression, without noble rot.
- Item #: i_351893Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Certified organic (Ecocert) and biodynamic -
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The Deiss 2011 Grasberg leads with saline, alkaline and marine aromatics, though also with intimations of the diverse ripe peach, pear, and melons – backed by distinct sweetness – that mark a ripe and infectiously juicy though firm palate. There is grip and nearly explosive interactivity in the finish, with nut oils, nutmeg, caraway as well as mineral elements bouncing off of the rich, resilient base of ripe fruit. Hardship of site certainly seems to have borne positive results here. Look for exciting performances through at least 2025. Deiss finds this “a bit timid” when compared with the corresponding 2010, but those are hardly words I would use to describe it!"
VINOUS MEDIA 92+ POINTS - "Good full yellow. Aromatic nose of lime, gooseberry, cinnamon and white flowers, complicated by smoke and a whiff of varnish; shows obvious notes of noble rot and gewÃ¼rztraminer. Off-dry on the palate, offering notes of spicy rhubarb and candied rose petal. Finishes with slight heat but has the material to support the alcohol. From vines situated very close to the Rotenberg at 350 meters above sea level, exposed north. This colder, later-ripening site allows for a more complex co-plantation of grape varieties, and this is why there is gewÃ¼rztraminer here.
- Item #: i_351894Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The bright and fresh citrus color of the 2012 Langenberg indicates a traditional field blend of different (mostly white) grape varieties, such as Riesling and the early ripening Muscat and diverse Pinots. The complantation is cultivated on the poor and weathered granite soils of a steep, south-facing and terraced vineyard in St-Hippolyte, and all the grapes were picked in one passage. The wine starts with a lovely clear bouquet of white fruits and flowers, along with refreshing citrus flavors and a stony/mineral touch. The minerality is even more present and expressive on the palate which reveals a subtle, gently sweet and elegant fruit, as well as a lot of tension and vibrancy. The Langenberg finishes pure, minerally-piquant and salty and with a stimulating grip. “Granite gives tension and finesse, not volume,” says Jean-Marcel Deiss, adding that the Langenberg "is a strict and protestant" wine. However, it is excellent at least for the next 8 years."
- Item #: i_345853Bottle Size: 750MLRiesling by Marcel Deiss is a white wine made from grapes of more than 25 years old vines and it is a wine characterized by a remarkable complexity. A very ripe apple is felt on the nose, with a sensation due to chamomile herbal tea, mineral scents and di lime. The palate is dense and soft, fresh, sapid and slightly herbaceous. Organic wine, made with old style artisanal methods.
- Item #: i_334259Bottle Size: 750MLThe robe is light lemon yellow with green reflections of good intensity. The disk is bright, limpid and transparent. The nose is marked, pleasant and of good intensity with flowers, citrus fruits (lemon zest) and spices (white pepper). The nose has a nice character. Its youth shows radiance and a welcomed sensation of freshness. The balance is elegant and slightly strong, which gives the wine character.
- Item #: i_345654Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "For a seven-year-old dry white, this has great vitality. The more air it gets, the more candied-citrus, pear and dried-herb aromas emerge. Although the wine's frame is on the sleek side, there's serious concentration. The finish is very long with a cascade of herbal and mineral notes. Drink or hold.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Trimbach’s 2011 Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile leads with a fascinating nose mingling quinine and smoky black tea with the more usual lime, white peach and crushed chalk. Silken-textured and generously juicy, with hauntingly bittersweet inner-mouth floral perfume, it opens-up in an infectiously juicy manner one seldom expects from youthful exemplars of this cuvee, thus drinking-well before one is able to purchase it! (But at least you can safely count on savoring it in its elegant prime through at least 2025.) Lentil sprout, peach kernel, and almond oil add to the diversity of flavors already intimated on the nose in a superbly sustained, bell-clear and invigorating as well as surprisingly and delightfully buoyant finish.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Lovely spice and smoke notes lead the way in this firm, linear white, accenting poached apple, chopped almond, dried thyme and lemon pith flavors on the harmonious palate. Best from 2019 through 2029."