- Item #: i_351957Bottle Size: 750mlDry Muscat, from one of Alsace’s most historic estates. Akin to riding a unicorn through a rainbow in an enchanted field of blossoming wildflowers. Like biting into all the juiciest fruits in the world—at once. And then that clean, mouthwatering, dry finish . . . This is not just Muscat, it is Boxler’s Muscat sec. Give it a try.
- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: i_345251Bottle Size: 750MLOver the past decade, the Albert Mann domaine has catapulted itself into the highest echelon of Alsatian producers. Biodynamic, delicious and always an incredible value, Mann’s Pinot Blanc again satisfies far beyond its price tag in the tiny, extremely high quality 2016 vintage. Lovely lemon-gold in the glass, Mann’s 2015 Pinot Blanc deftly balances a bold core of peach and pineapple fruit with soft minerality, acacia honey, and smoky, herbal notes. A full, lavish palate features suggestions of peach, Mirabelle plum and nectarine. On the finish, lifting acidity buoys the wine’s citrus and stone fruit expressions, while reprises of nectarine and yellow plum fruit yield to hints of fresh ginger and slate minerals. This is a textbook, mineral-driven Pinot Blanc in the elegant yet palate-staining Alsatian style: the kind that serves as inspiration for Pinot Blanc specialists in Italy and Oregon. Enjoy this over the coming two years with broiled salmon, choucroute garni, pork roasts, duck confit, quiches and washed-rind cheeses.
- Item #: i_321045Bottle Size: 750ml100% JACQUERE
From 50 year old vines grown on marl and limestone. This light easy driking wine is the perfect hot weather wine. Low alcohol, light and flavorful perfect before dinner or for just sitting on the patio taking in the sun.
- Item #: i_344103Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's notes - This wine exclusively comes from vineyards of the Domain Marcel DEISS and is produced from 13 Alsatian grapes. These grapes express the story of Alsatian terroir.
Vinous Media 88 points: - "Medium straw. Aromas and flavors of ripe apricot, peach and spiced apple. Broad, fresh and dry in the mouth, with a clean, persistent finish. This lovely, easygoing white wine had me looking for a plate of bivalves." -- Ian D'Agata
- Item #: i_350395Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Here there’s an extra layer of complexity, more depth to the melon, rose petal and wild strawberry aromas, while on the palate fine stony notes grip languid flavours of ripe cantaloupe melon, quince and conference pear. Delicately spiced and really quite long. Needs a little time but with a few years cellaring you can expect notes of truffle and spice to appear in this most food friendly of wines. To wit, in 2016 the 2008 vintage provided one half of an unforgettable pairing with a very rich dish involving a slow cooked egg and fresh white truffles – it wasn’t bettered all year. Altenbourg itself is a fine limestone based vineyard excellent for Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris. It is situated directly below Furstentum, not officially designated Grand Cru, but almost certainly Grand Cru in quality.
- Item #: i_350891Bottle Size: 750mlRiesling is the king of Alsatian wine and the love of the Faller family. A dry and intense wine with much finesse from the estate vineyard, Clos des Capuchins. “Théo” refers to Catherine’s father, the indomitable Théo Faller, one of the most respected winemakers in Alsace before his untimely death in 1979.
This is more typical of the varietal on the nose than the Réserve Personelle and also has much more vibrant acidity. Sweet and sour with pungent citric lemon elements on the palate...almost lemon confit. To finish there are notes of butter and Granny Smith apple. It is ripe, yet not heavy or alcoholic
- Item #: i_350641Bottle Size: 750mlGentil has become a joyous, convivial wine whose arrival the Hugel family always awaits with impatience in the spring following each vintage. Gentil shows pure, fresh aromas, very fruit-driven and floral, as well as expressive and flattering. On the palate, this dry wine has a lively, youthful fresh character that is refreshing, with a pleasant, scented finish. Gentil is a perfect wine to sip with friends or to enjoy with simple everyday meals. Gentil is best enjoyed chilled with saltwater and freshwater fish, shellfish, starters and hors d'oeuvres. Blend: 50% Sylvaner and Pinot Blanc, 15% Gewurztraminer, 22% Pinot Gris, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat
- Item #: i_351291Bottle Size: 750mlIn Alsace, Pinot Noir not only grows but thrives, and yet it has long flown under the radar. The Pinot Noir from Kuentz-Bas is an accessible, versatile red. Exploding with fresh blackberry and gently peppery, this is a great companion for breezy summer nights.
- Item #: i_351895Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC
IMPORTER NOTES - "Literally the “sheep’s path,” Schoffweg leads into Grasberg and is an exceptional terroir: a thin slab of Aalenian limestone perched above the plains, the ultimate extension of the hillock of Altenberg in Bergheim. It faces east, but the warmer climate is tamed by strong winds. Drained by the northern wind in summer, protected by the foehn in autumn, this very poor terroir with rocky yellow limestone provides an extremely complex expression, without noble rot.
- Item #: i_351894Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
VINOUS MEDIA 91 POINTS - "Bright straw-green. Precise aromas of white flowers, nutmeg and crushed stone. Dense but juicy, with strong acidity lifting the minty lemon and grapefruit flavors, complicated by a bright herbal note. A serious wine that is much more vertical than the Berckem, but also very precise. From grapes grown on grey granite soils in a lieu-dit is near Saint-Hyppolite."
- Item #: i_345852Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 90 PointsWINE ENTHUIAST 90 POINTS - "Notes of freshly turned soil and rich forest fruits mix on the nose. That interplay of earthy energy, fruity lift and richness constantly repeats itself on the lively, dry and rustically grippy body. This is full of juiciness and life and finishes with a little exuberant heat. This is unusual and rustic, but also very charming."
This wine comes from the estate vineyards of Domaine Marcel Deiss. It is made mainly from ripe Pinot Noir, with the utmost respect and without intervention. These grapes express the soil and climate of Alsace - it is a wine that speaks of our region : deep crimson color, complex and aromatic bouquet (hints of Burgundy's Cote de Nuits), silky mouthfeel, and thirst-quenching finish.
- Item #: i_345853Bottle Size: 750MLRiesling by Marcel Deiss is a white wine made from grapes of more than 25 years old vines and it is a wine characterized by a remarkable complexity. A very ripe apple is felt on the nose, with a sensation due to chamomile herbal tea, mineral scents and di lime. The palate is dense and soft, fresh, sapid and slightly herbaceous. Organic wine, made with old style artisanal methods.
- Item #: i_345857Bottle Size: 750MLMasson’s young Jacquére based white wines grown on limestone and schist, and aged only in stainless steel, crackle with electricity and elegant power. His entire range of nearly a dozen organic and naturally made wines are all stars in their own way. However, it is the wines that bear the name Apremont that take the range to unexpected heights. The family’s nine hectares of vines are primarily planted to Jacquère, a white grape variety that when grown on Apremont’s east facing limestone vineyards can (if farmed well) yield wines with a dense core of electricity, ripping acidity and always strong mineral impressions. Like many Alpine wine regions (for example, like Italy’s Valle d’Aosta and Alto Adige/Sudtirol) the climate can be unpredictable from week to week, but generally have hot summers and cold, harsh winters. The close proximity to the mountains brings these alpine foothills optimal diurnal shifts (large day and nighttime temperature swings), which during the months before harvest brings balanced physiological ripeness while maintaining fresh natural acidity. Crisp, Dry, Floral, Fruity, High acid, Light, Mineral
- Item #: i_300092Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker Notes - " This pale yellow Riesling has green reflections. The wine opens with fresh and alluring aromas of lemon, grapefruit and peach. Upon aeration, notes of sweet cherry blossoms are framed by minerally firestone character. On the palate, impressions of freshness and elegance dominate this well-balanced wine, but further tasting reveals opulence and a softly spicy finish."
- Item #: i_334257Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "A touch of quince plays about the rich notes of peach and tangerine on the nose. An aromatic notion of dark fir honey leads onto a medium-sweet palate of ripe peach, zesty tangerine peel, golden mirabelles and lemon. The citrus elements provide a high-toned brightness that works very well with the sweet juiciness and richness of the palate. On the palate it is the wonderfully aromatic zestiness that lasts and lasts."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Just off-dry, this rich, silky white is vibrant, with a firm backbone of acidity and a structural frame that allows the flavors of blood orange granita, candied ginger, white peach and smoky mineral to shine through to the lasting finish. Drink now through 2029."
- Item #: i_350700Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "The nose gives appetizing glimpses of pure ripe juicy pear. These flavors blossom fully on the palate and leave a most harmonious picture of ample, dry, but well-expressed pear fruit with lovely freshness. Everything here happens with ease. The finish is pure and fresh."
- Item #: i_303951Bottle Size: 750MLThese wines are especially interesting as they are made bio dynamically, the producer, Andre Ostertag, is a radical in the area and chooses to give some of his wines the barrique treatment. This Sylvaner is "Vieilles Vignes" (old vines) and touted as possibly the best example of this Austrian grape grown in Alsace.
There is a slight hint of lime zest and fern on the nose. The palate is more expressive but in a slender, subtle way, offering a lime zest flavor countered by white pepper and a streak of green fern. Citrus freshness tingles everywhere and even has a pithy, textural element to it.