- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: 321045Bottle Size: 750ml100% JACQUERE
From 50 year old vines grown on marl and limestone. This light easy driking wine is the perfect hot weather wine. Low alcohol, light and flavorful perfect before dinner or for just sitting on the patio taking in the sun.
- Item #: 345653Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER 95 POINTS - Boxler's 2015 Riesling Grand Cru Sommerberg opens with the discreet charm and aristocratic distinction of a great wine. Very pure, clear, fine and elegant on the nose, with fine stony and herbal flavors but also ripe stone fruit and floral aromas, the 2015 tells the story of its origin in the glass in an excitingly subtle yet deep way. The palate is great! It is intense and juicy, nicely concentrated and ripe, with a touch of sweetness but gorgeous finesse, vitality and piquancy. The finish is pure and salty and develops a fascinating juiciness that explodes in the finish. This is not a wine for mouthfeel drinkers, but it is surely one of the finest, most delicate and balanced Rieslings you can find from this vintage. The combination of concentration, complexity, structure, minerality and sweetness (due to the low acidity, higher alcohol and extract) could hardly be better.
- Item #: 345885Bottle Size: 750MLFrom Domaine des Ardoisieres, it seems Mont Blanc is everywhere. The towering mountain watches over this small estate near the Swiss border from every angle, shaping the wines so expertly grown and made here.The domaine was planted during Roman times, then became overgrown with forest. A passionate group of supporters cleared the vineyard in 1998 and began piecing the steep terraces back together to create Domaine des Ardoisieres. Since 2005, Champagne native Brice Omont has taken over the winemaking and is now considered one of the most exciting producers in France. For the very first time, Brice
- Item #: i_344103Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's notes - This wine exclusively comes from vineyards of the Domain Marcel DEISS and is produced from 13 Alsatian grapes. These grapes express the story of Alsatian terroir.
Vinous Media 88 points: - "Medium straw. Aromas and flavors of ripe apricot, peach and spiced apple. Broad, fresh and dry in the mouth, with a clean, persistent finish. This lovely, easygoing white wine had me looking for a plate of bivalves." -- Ian D'Agata
- Item #: 350891Bottle Size: 750mlRiesling is the king of Alsatian wine and the love of the Faller family. A dry and intense wine with much finesse from the estate vineyard, Clos des Capuchins. “Théo” refers to Catherine’s father, the indomitable Théo Faller, one of the most respected winemakers in Alsace before his untimely death in 1979.
This is more typical of the varietal on the nose than the Réserve Personelle and also has much more vibrant acidity. Sweet and sour with pungent citric lemon elements on the palate...almost lemon confit. To finish there are notes of butter and Granny Smith apple. It is ripe, yet not heavy or alcoholic
- Item #: i_333001Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "A floral freshness hovers above the lemony notes on the nose. It is those concentrated, clean but ripe and pure lemon notes that totally inform the slender and dry palate. This is light but has real impact. Its fruity core reveals some fresh apple notes on the long, clean and refreshing finish. Drink now through 2025 at least."
- Item #: 351895Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC
IMPORTER NOTES - "Literally the “sheep’s path,” Schoffweg leads into Grasberg and is an exceptional terroir: a thin slab of Aalenian limestone perched above the plains, the ultimate extension of the hillock of Altenberg in Bergheim. It faces east, but the warmer climate is tamed by strong winds. Drained by the northern wind in summer, protected by the foehn in autumn, this very poor terroir with rocky yellow limestone provides an extremely complex expression, without noble rot.
- Item #: 351893Bottle Size: 750mlCertified organic (Ecocert) and biodynamic -
VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "The Deiss 2011 Grasberg leads with saline, alkaline and marine aromatics, though also with intimations of the diverse ripe peach, pear, and melons – backed by distinct sweetness – that mark a ripe and infectiously juicy though firm palate. There is grip and nearly explosive interactivity in the finish, with nut oils, nutmeg, caraway as well as mineral elements bouncing off of the rich, resilient base of ripe fruit. Hardship of site certainly seems to have borne positive results here. Look for exciting performances through at least 2025. Deiss finds this “a bit timid” when compared with the corresponding 2010, but those are hardly words I would use to describe it!"
- Item #: 351894Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
VINOUS MEDIA 91 POINTS - "Bright straw-green. Precise aromas of white flowers, nutmeg and crushed stone. Dense but juicy, with strong acidity lifting the minty lemon and grapefruit flavors, complicated by a bright herbal note. A serious wine that is much more vertical than the Berckem, but also very precise. From grapes grown on grey granite soils in a lieu-dit is near Saint-Hyppolite."
- Item #: i_311104Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90BIODYNAMIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS - "Peach and tangerine unite to create an utterly seductive nose: luscious juicy flesh is defined by aromatic spice and zestiness. These opposites play off each other and create something that is alive and vigorous, joyful and precious. There is concentration and poise, structure and texture, but none of this concerns the hedonistic forces at play. They just want to express their careless exuberance. There is something defiant about this dry concentrated wine. Perhaps it is a welcome and encouraging counterweight to so much sadness in the world.
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This cool and youthful dry Riesling has lovely candied citrus and herbal notes with excellent depth and a long, complex finish that's full of energy. Delicious now, but should easily keep for a decade. Organic grapes. Demeter certified."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - " From the top of the hill and grown on sand and quartz, the 2015 Fronholz Riesling opens with a fascinatingly clear, precise, fresh and stony/mineral bouquet with lemon and floral aromas. Picked on September 22, this is a full-bodied, rich, intense and elegant but cool Riesling with juicy tropical fruit flavor, a silky texture and fine tannins in the long, elegant, sensual and very aromatic finish. This is a remarkably good Riesling on the Premier Cru level. André Ostertag and his team have produced an impressive range of 2015s. Although I don't know even a considerable fraction of all the 51 vintages in the history of the family domaine, founded by André's father in 1966, the 50th—the 2015 vintage—should be one of the very, very best... The wines are not just perfectly ripe, rich and highly concentrated, but they are also very precise, fresh and expressive in their terroir character. The aging potential of almost all the wines should be terrific: They are full-bodied, intense, firmly structured yet pure and very long. A vintage like 2015 will not be repeated that often, and readers should take the chance to grab as many bottles as they can. (SR) (6/2017)
- Item #: 345871Bottle Size: 750MLThis Bouzy Rouge is bottled on its own as well, as a vintage-dated Coteaux Champenois. It’s selected from old vines in lieu-dits such as La Croix or Les Mignottes, which are cropped at 5,000 to 6,000 kilograms per hectare to encourage greater concentration. The wine spends 12 to 18 months in five- to ten-year-old oak casks, and the result is a delicate, fragrant Pinot Noir, one that emphasizes finesse and minerality over power or extraction.
- Item #: 300092Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker Notes - " This pale yellow Riesling has green reflections. The wine opens with fresh and alluring aromas of lemon, grapefruit and peach. Upon aeration, notes of sweet cherry blossoms are framed by minerally firestone character. On the palate, impressions of freshness and elegance dominate this well-balanced wine, but further tasting reveals opulence and a softly spicy finish."
- Item #: i_334257Bottle Size: 750MLNow run by the 6th and 7th generations, Domaines Schlumberger was founded in 1810 by Nicolas Schlumberger, who established vineyards on the renowned slopes above the town of Guebwiller. These vineyard sites have a history of viticulture, having been planted since 207AD. Through successive generations the holding has grown to be one of France’s largest and finest domaines.
Bright, golden yellow in colour with perfumes of peaches and rose petals. Spicy with aromas of saffron and white pepper, as well as exotic fruit flavours such as mango. This wines is rich and honeyed with great complexity and a fleshy mouthfeel.
- Item #: 345053Bottle Size: 750MLIt's clear and bright robe is characterized by yellow color with golden reflections. A youthful aspect is revealed. The nose is aromatic, with notes of citrus and yellow fruit - intense and rich. On the palate, the onset is fresh but without excess, with a slight sparkling note. The middle mouth is fatty even while remaining dry. In the finish we find warmth associated with freshness. The length is average. This Pinot Blanc Les Princes Abb
- Item #: i_334123Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 93WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "The faintest hint of zesty lemon appears on the nose. The dry palate is of a concentrated slenderness, showing intense notes of ripe lemon zest but hinting at richer notions of ripe pear and candied citron. There is real impact, guided by rapier-like freshness and utter precision. This has an almost cleansing quality but is nonetheless imbued with the fruitful generosity of 2015. Lovely now, but sure to develop. Drink now through 2027."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS -"A perfect "basic" dry Alsace riesling. Medium-bodied with subtle lemon and pear fruit, and great elegance at the long austere finish."
- Item #: 345460Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 89eROBERT PARKER 89 POINTS: "Signature smoky limestone and lemon flavors along with more international popcorn and fennel seed flavors open the 2012 Vin de Table Zind, a quite Burgundian wine that is not allowed to be marketed as Vin d'Alsace, due to the 23-year-old Chardonnay (65%) that is blended with coeval Auxerrois (35%); both varieties are cultivated in the Clos Windsbuhl, one of the top sites of the prestigious domaine. The wine is rich and intense on the palate, very pure, salty, and stimulatingly fresh and salty in the lingering finish. Rounder, bigger and richer than the 2013, although the alcohol volume is only 12.6%. "Unexpectedly, we have more residual sugar here (8 grams) because we had to ferment the wine in a new cask with no yeasts in it from previous vintages," explains Olivier Humbrecht. This might be the reason why I find the 2012 more saturating."
- Item #: 345461Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The intensely colored 2015 Alsace Gewurztraminer Turckheim displays a beautifully clear, precise and aromatic, also pure and mineral bouquet with spicy flavors intertwined with ripe orange aromas. Round, ripe and highly elegant on the palate, this is a full-bodied, silky textured, intense and seductive Gewurz with a firm but very fine tannin structure and remarkable complexity in the long, perfectly balanced finish. Picked in different vineyards around Turckheim on September 21st and 22nd, this a picture-book Alsace Gewurztraminer was bottled with just 2.3 grams of residual sugar and 13.9% alcohol. The total acidity is just 3.6 grams per liter (pH of 3.8), but this doesn't matter. "We shouldn't forget that Gewurztraminer is a red wine with a white color," says Olivier Humbrecht, arguing that the grape's phenols are as high as in Pinot Noir. "We have to speak about the quality of the tannins when it comes to Gewurztraminer, instead of acidity."