Zinfandel (also known as Primitivo) is a variety of black-skinned wine grape. DNA fingerprinting has revealed that it is genetically equivalent to the Croatian grape Crljenac, as well as to the Primitivo variety traditionally grown in Apulia (the "heel" of Italy), where it was introduced in the 18th century. The grape found its way to the United States in the mid-19th century, where it became known by variations of the name "Zinfandel". The grapes typically produce a robust red wine. The grape's high sugar content can be fermented into levels of alcohol exceeding 15 percent. The taste of the red wine depends on the ripeness of the grapes from which it is made. Red berry fruit flavors like raspberry predominate in wines from cooler areas, whereas blackberry, anise and pepper notes are more common in wines made in warmer areas and in wines made from the earlier-ripening Primitivo clone.
- Item #: i_200455Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+A blend of 35% Zinfandel, 30% Barbera, 13% Grenache, 12% Petite Sirah, and 10% Carignane.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Red Blend Shift gives very pretty scents of violets and roses over a core of black cherries, cedar chest, dark chocolate and tapenade. Medium to full-bodied, it delivers mouth-filling black fruits with plenty of floral accents and a firm, grainy frame, finishing on a refreshing note."
- Item #: i_228690Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple, the 2016 Hartford Zinfandel Dina's Vineyard comes leaping forth from the glass with arresting, gorgeous floral scents of violets, lavender and roses with a core of cherry cordial, blueberry compote, blackberry tart and dried mulberries plus wafts of spice box and and dark chocolate. Full, firm and with a racy line of freshness lifting the concentrated fruit, it finishes very long with tons of mineral, floral and spicy layers. 257 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94+ POINTS - "The 2016 Zinfandel Dina's Vineyard is deep, unctuous and full of flavor, yet also has quite a bit of the freshness that is so typical of Russian River Zinfandels, especially in this vintage. The Dina's has a bit more tannin and structure than the other wines in the range, which makes it reticent. Dollops of Alicante add character and personality to this super-expressive Zinfandel from Hartford."
- Item #: i_239980Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Medium ruby-purple, the 2017 Zinfandel Giuseppe and Luisa has a wonderful nose of yellow peach preserves, apricot, boysenberry jam, cinnamon stick and warm black fruits—there are loads of fruity and spicy layers here. In the mouth, it's medium to full-bodied with intense tricolored fruits, firm, grainy tannins and very juicy acidity, finishing long and peachy. This is just what Zinfandel should be! 966 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "One of the many standouts in this range, the 2017 Zinfandel Giuseppe and Luisa is fabulous. The purity of the flavors is remarkable. Bright red cherry, blood orange, mint and wild flowers are all beautifully delineated in a racy, textured Zinfandel that delivers the goods big time. All the elements meld together effortlessly.'
- Item #: i_205360Bottle Size: 750MLRW Moore is a old-vine Zinfandel vineyard planted in 1906. The fruit previously was sold to Turley Vineyards and sold as "Earthquake Vineyard". This is the third vintage of this great vineyard for Robert Biale wines.
The wine is loaded with bright red fruits, carob, cedar, spices and dried flowers. The balance is impeccable. The flavors are laced into the wine with pure fruits and wonderful texture.
- Item #: i_270840Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "There are few estates in California today that are more exciting than Don Burns' Turtle Rock. Pulling from some of the top vineyards on the westside of Paso Robles and making the wines as Justin Smith's Saxum estate, Burns has consistently produced some of the wines of the vintage since his first releases in 2014. As I wrote in the past, readers interested in finding the next up and coming superstar in Paso Robles need to put Don and Claudia Burns' Turtle Rock estate at the top of their list."
"The Zinfandel-dominated 2017 Westberg Red (which includes 24% Tempranillo) is another saturated purple-colored effort from winemaker Don Burns that offers an earthy, meaty bouquet of black fruits, plums, Asian spices, flowers incense, and blood orange. It's ripe, sexy, rounded, and just a beautiful drink. I'd be thrilled to have bottles in the cellar."
ROBERT PARKER'S VINOUS MEDIA 95 POINTS - "A blend of 76% Zinfandel and 24% Tempranillo aged 22 months in 60% new oak, the medium ruby-purple colored 2017 Westberg Red is scented of cranberry, sour cherries, sliced peaches, purple flowers, earth and charcuterie, blossoming with time to loads of bright, high-toned nuances. Medium to full-bodied, it explodes with perfumed flavor layers, gently framed but über juicy, finishing long and loaded with flavor. 195 cases were made."