- Item #: i_204170Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91It’s easy to say that Morgan Twain-Peterson was born into the wine industry… so let’s start there. Morgan is the son of legendary Ravenswood winemaker and Zinfandel legend Joel Peterson. At the age of 5, Morgan was able to distinguish Merlot from Zinfandel, and being the son of Joel, that made for some early learning of winemaking basics and eventually the essential techniques for fine winemaking. But Joel didn’t stop there. He went onto other wineries and regions to learn other methods, like working in the McLaren Vale region of Australia, and even working as a visiting winemaker at Château Lynch Bages in Bordeaux. Oh yeah…and he passed the Master of Wine exam!
Morgan only works with high quality fruit from high quality sites and ferments them in open top redwood and stainless steel fermenters then ages them in the sexiest French barrels from the coldest forests. The results are tremendous wines that range in style from opulent to elegant, yet taste exceptionally balanced!
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2018 Zinfandel Old Vine is bright, floral and beautifully perfumed. Crushed red berries, flowers and sweet spice give the 2018 a very pretty sense of lift. In 2018, the Old Vine is especially gracious and light on its feet. The blend incorporates fruit from a number of top sites, including Bedrock, Teldeschi, Esola, Pagani, Papera, Evangelho and Pato."
- Item #: i_232910Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsEhren Jordan is a man of many talents, and many styles. For 18 years, he was the winemaker at Turley, crafting full-bodied, rich, opulent, spicy, and complex Zinfandels that would set the world on fire. We never received enough of the Turley wines, because the demand of their mailing list, but when we did get them, the wines would sell out in a day or two. To this day, we get more inquiries for Turley than almost any other Zinfandel.
Around the time Ehren started his stint as winemaker for Turley, he also started up his own winery with his wife, which they called Failla. In contrast to the hedonistic style of the Turley wines, the Failla wines were restrained, elegant, bright, fresh, yet amazingly complex Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs that would receive high praise from the critics. Now, we never saw a Zinfandel from Failla, and everybody speculated it was because he was still making the Turley Zins, but after Ehren and Turley parted ways in 2013, we figured it was only a matter of time until we saw something, because to be honest, Ehren is just so talented. Well…we're happy to say that the Day, so to speak, has come!
"Day" is the name of Ehren Jordan's new Zinfandel, and is a return to his winemaking roots. Similar to the approach at Failla, most of the Day Zinfandel wines are sourced from Sonoma County. Great sites, old vines, and gentle winemaking remain the production philosophy for Day. Ehren is more than thrilled to work with some of California's finest Zinfandel vineyards in Russian River, Dry Creek, and Alexander Valleys.
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS - "From the team at Failla, the 2017 Zinfandel looks to be one heck of a base appellation blend, offering loads of plums, black raspberries, spice, and classic cedar notes. This medium to full-bodied, rounded, charming barrel sample is going to drink nicely right out of the gate yet keep for a decade."
- Item #: i_200008Bottle Size: EACHGREAT NEWS SAM SEBASTIANI IS BACK IN THE WINE BUSINESS!
La Chertosa is named for the magnificent 14th century Renaissance monastery in the Tuscan valley of Farneta, Italy where the Sam Sebastiani ancestral roots began.At the 2014 California State Fair,Sam won "Double Gold" - Best Micro Red Award and Best of CLASS Region for his 2012 La Cheriosa resrve Amador County Zinfandel,and his 2012.
- Item #: i_250290Bottle Size: 750mlPreston's Zinfandel grows along West Dry Creek Road on bench vineyards of red clay and gravel soils. Despite four years of ongoing drought, in 2016 they enjoyed a healthy, bountiful harvest after a summer of sunshine and slightly above-average temperatures.
Grapes are certified organic (CCOF) and their farming practices are Biodynamic. Fermentation is initiated spontaneously without the addition of commercial yeast or malolactic bacteria. Medium-dark ruby and translucent (despite being completely unfiltered), the nose pops with dark cherry and brambly, almost savory raspberry notes. In the mouth it is delicious: bursting but never heavy on the palate, with dark berry notes and a compelling, unmistakably mineral streak.
- Item #: i_252370Bottle Size: 750mlIf you have not tasted the Quivira wines recently, then you are missing out! Producing wines from Sonoma's Dry Creek Valley AVA (located just north/center in the county), the region is bordered by the cool Russian River Valley to the south, and the warm Alexander Valley to its northwest. The result of being sandwiched between these two vastly different growing areas means Dry Creek Valley gets very cool nights, mild mornings, and warm afternoons; perfect for high-quality wine grapes! Quivira employs organic and biodynamic farming to maintain long-term the health of the vineyard and the resulting fruit. The biological diversity on the property is another important element towardw their goal of being self-sustainable. They also utilize a 55kw solar installation, manage their own half-acre compost pile, and are mindful of water conservation.
Aromas of mulberry, blackberry, and mocha entrance you from the start. A solid mouthfeel, the fruit reaffirms itself with blackberry, boysenberry, and raspberry preserves. Spicy notes of clove, dried sage, black pepper, and fennel appear along with Black Forest cake and "vin sauvage". Ten months of barrel aging in a mix of French, American, and Hungarian oak barrels add to the velvety finish of fine tannins.
- Item #: i_254580Bottle Size: 375MLVinous Media: 96**Please note, this is a half sized bottleANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2018 Lytton Springs is magnificent. Elegant, layered and so complete, the 2018 has a lot to offer, but it needs time to fully come together. Sweet red cherry, red plum, blood orange, spice, mint and rose petal open up in the glass. Bright acids and beams of tannin give the wine its vibrant energy. Readers should plan on cellaring the 2018 for at least a few years. Wow!"
- Item #: i_254660Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsRidge Vineyards Three Valley red has been one of our best-selling blends in our Zinfandel section for many years. Its style is in the middle, not quit classic but also not on the "jammy" end of the spectrum either, showing dark fruit, hints of pepper and spices and tobacco notes. A blend of 70% Zinfandel, 45% Petite Sirah, 12% Carignane, and 2% Grenache, texturally this vintage shows a lot of finesse, its medium body glides across the palate with ease. Whether you are popping this with BBQ foods / roasted meats or just enjoying a glass over a good conversation this easy drinking red over delivers!
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Three Valleys is another terrific 2018 from this team. A blend of 70% Zinfandel, 14% Petite Sirah, 12% Carignan, and the rest Mataro, it plays in the medium-bodied, elegant end of the spectrum and has wonderful purity in its blue fruits, peppery herbs, violets, and sandalwood aromas and flavors. Nicely textured, elegant, and seamless on the palate, with good acidity, this ethereal, balanced beauty can be drunk today or cellared for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_257910Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is from Sonoma County sub-region and Dry Creek Valley appellation. Ginos Vineyard is a five-acre parcel in the rocky hillsides on the eastern bench of the valley. The vineyard was planted to Zinfandel about 25 years ago and produces quintessential Dry Creek Zin style wines with lots of brownginger spices and juicy raspberry and cherry fruit.