Zinfandel (also known as Primitivo) is a variety of black-skinned wine grape. DNA fingerprinting has revealed that it is genetically equivalent to the Croatian grape Crljenac, as well as to the Primitivo variety traditionally grown in Apulia (the "heel" of Italy), where it was introduced in the 18th century. The grape found its way to the United States in the mid-19th century, where it became known by variations of the name "Zinfandel". The grapes typically produce a robust red wine. The grape's high sugar content can be fermented into levels of alcohol exceeding 15 percent. The taste of the red wine depends on the ripeness of the grapes from which it is made. Red berry fruit flavors like raspberry predominate in wines from cooler areas, whereas blackberry, anise and pepper notes are more common in wines made in warmer areas and in wines made from the earlier-ripening Primitivo clone.
- Item #: i_211210Bottle Size: 750mlWe have been looking for a delicious Zinfandel at this price point for some time, and we think we've found a winner! Ancient Peaks sits in the Paso Robles appellation, 22 miles south of the city of Paso Robles and just 14 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Here, the surrounding peaks of the Santa Lucia Mountain Range act as a gateway between the ocean-cooled environs below the grade and the warmer climes above the grade. When the days heat up in the areas north and east of Margarita Vineyard, the air rises to create a vacuum that pulls marine breezes and fog inland over the peaks, and right through the vineyard. This means the fruit gets ripe, without any "off" flavors, yet the cooling afternoon breezes help the resulting wine to retain freshness and acidity.
Ancient Peaks' 2017 Zinfandel presents bright boysenberry aromas with hints of sandalwood and vanilla. A juicy, jammy texture is loaded with generous flavors of wild raspberry, black cherry, plum, mocha and cedar. Spicy black pepper notes join mouthwatering acidity on a beautifully balanced finish.
- Item #: i_215520Bottle Size: 750mlStructured and full-bodied with a subtle hint of spice. On the palate, dense, dark fruit characteristics are reminiscent of blueberry pie. Notes of toasted oak and vanilla meld with a plush, lingering mouthfeel.
- Item #: i_206480Bottle Size: 750ML
The grapes are a mix of those off their estate vineyards and grapes from other select Napa Valley low-yielding vineyards. Dry-farmed for over 20 years, their 4.5 acre estate block consists of mature thirty-seven year old vines which typically yield around 2.5 tons/acre of hillside fruit. Interspersed among the head-trained vines are a handful of Petite Sirah vines representing perhaps 5% of the total vines in this block. A traditional field companion to Zinfandel in pre-prohibition California vineyards, Petite Sirah contributes pepper, color, and tannin structure to the wine.
- Item #: i_206100Bottle Size: 750mlBuena Vista joined the Boisset Family Estates collection in May 2011. Today, Jean-Charles Boisset is returning Buena Vista to its original glory with the complete restoration and re-opening of the champagne cellars, which have been unavailable to the public for over 20 years. Jean-Charles is 100% dedicated to doing whatever is needed to showcase the quality of the wines from this property. The wines of Buena Vista are being driven to greater heights under Winemaker Brian Maloney and Consulting Winemaker David Ramey, including the re-introduction of Sonoma wines, in honor of Buena Vista's role in the discovery of Sonoma as one California's great terroirs.
As the name would imply, this wine is in honor of The Count of Buena Vista, a tireless and passionate devotee of Californian wines. From prestigious vineyards across Sonoma, The Count's intriguing varietals intermingle seamlessly to produce an elegant and complex wine. Individual lots of Zinfandel, Syrah, and Merlot were fermented separately and aged for 16 months in American, Hungarian, and French oak barrels before final assemblage. The wine's bouquet opens beautifully with rich aromas of black currant, cherries, grilled meat, pepper, and just a hint of espresso. Smooth on the palate, the wine offers flavors of red fruit compote, plum, raspberries, and blackberry that give way to cardamom on the long, silky finish.
- Item #: i_219600Bottle Size: 750mlWinery Notes: "79% Zinfandel, 11% Petite Sirah, 6% Syrah, 4% Grenache. Lucky boxcars with this Zinfandel-dominated blend, which tumbles out on the tongue with dark cherries, fresh, ripe strawberries, a double dip of chocolate and vanilla, and the cool grip of moto jacket (aka leather). Paradise awaits. "
- Item #: i_211230Bottle Size: 750MLThe Ancient Vines Zinfandel draws primarily from a wide selection of their oldest, most historic and shyest-bearing Zinfandel blocks in Contra Costa County. Grapes were planted by Italian and Portuguese immigrants in the sandy, phylloxera-resistant soils of Oakley, California more than 100 years ago.
The 2018 Ancient Vines Zinfandel shows spicy, bright strawberry, with coffee and chocolate characters. Ripe fruit and soft tannins make this a mouth-coating rich vintage. Aging on new and used oak has lent this wine a subtle vanilla quality that nicely complements the explosive fruit notes. Enjoy now or cellar for 5 to 7 years.
- Item #: i_216790Bottle Size: 750MLThis enticing Sonoma County wine highlights a bright red-fruit and spice expression of Zinfandel. The aromas are ripe and appealing, offering layers of strawberry jam, raspberry and sweet vanilla, as well as hints of chocolate-covered cherries and white pepper. On the palate, the entry is full and balanced with lovely cranberry notes supported by the subtle influence of fine oak.
- Item #: i_216630Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2018 Heritage Vines Zinfandel is delicious and beautifully balanced. This vintage presents enticing aromatics of boysenberry, cranberry and plum with hints of coriander, cardamom and dark chocolate. On the palate, brambly flavors of blackberry and black cherry come forward. The wine is complex, with bright acidity complimented by deeper notes of cumin, black pepper and white pepper. The tannins are silky and smooth to lend a round, rich mouthfeel. From start to finish, this remarkable wine offers refreshing acidity paired with excellent structure.
- Item #: i_228650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR'S #45 WINE OF 2018!
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Epitomizes fine Sierra Foothills Zinfandel, offering vibrant, briary raspberry, smoked pepper and wild sweet anise flavors that stretch out on the zesty finish. Drink now through 2023. 6,200 cases made."
- Item #: i_221500Bottle Size: 750mlPours the color of darkest night. Heady aromas of bleuberry pie, luxurious suede couches, ham paninis, unlit menthol cigarettes and roquefort tarts. Firm tannins anchor flavors of grilled meats, cherry cola, sweet carob and black licorice chews, all cased up together conveniently in a cigar humidifier. Drink now. You know you're going to, anyway.
- Item #: i_226620Bottle Size: 750mlA zesty blend from their three mountain vineyards at 1,000 to 1,700 ft overlooking Chiles Canyon. Dark cherry and raspberry flavors with tinges of bay leaf and clove. Accompanies wood grilled vegetables and marbled meats.
- Item #: i_229970Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the Coastal Ranges of northeastern Lake County, the High Valley AVA rises between 1,600 and 3,000 feet in elevation, providing Shannon Ridge the finest mountain fruit for their High Valley label. The North facing slope of Round Mountain allows for longer hangtime while the South facing slope of Morine aids in the development of rich flavors.
- Item #: i_235790Bottle Size: 750mlProduced from vines with an average age of 85 years, this Zinfandel is a blend of 16 different vineyard blocks of old vine zinfandel vineyards with an average age of 87 years. With berries and spice on the nose, dark, sweet fruit fills the palate with just a hint of black pepper. This wine has a long, lingering finish. Whether you pair with a burger, ribs, barbecue or a roaring fire, this wine is sure to please.
- Item #: i_239080Bottle Size: 750mlBright dark garnet black color. Rich, fruity, jammy peppery earthy aromas of black raspberry jam, black plums, gravel, and black pepper with a bright, dry full body and a peppery, medium-length finish with firm, woody tannins and moderate oak.
- Item #: i_239440Bottle Size: 750mlMarietta Cellars is a family owned and operated winery since its inception decades ago. Its name pays homage to Aunt Marietta, to whom founder Chris Bilbro gives credit for taking him under her wings and teaching him the important things in life-love of family, fishing, hard work and how to cook a mean minestrone! These ethics instilled in Chris were the driving factor in him working hard for decades, starting with grapes sourced from local farmers to where they are today. Chris' sons Jake and Scot have taken over the duties of working the 30 acres of vineyards and, as the winery has done for many years, Marietta Cellars continues to produce value oriented quality wines.
A blend of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Syrah, and "Mixed Italian Blacks", Old Vine Red is highlighted by the beauty and clarity of Zinfandel. Bright aromas of cherries and raspberries combine with dark chocolate and brambles. Fresh acidity leads into a rich mouth-feel that lasts and lasts before finishing with cleansing tannins. This wine is delicious and is wonderful on its own yet also has the complexity and density to compliment anything from chicken or pasta to short ribs.
- Item #: i_202220Bottle Size: 750mlMcPrice Myers' Zinfandel is a relative newcomer to his "Blue Collar" line-up. Sourced from Westside Paso vineyards it has a splash of Syrah and Mourvedre. As you would expect from Paso, this is a big, rich wine that still retains freshness, along with notes of bramble, sweet leather, red licorice, candied cherry, red plum, cherry cola, rhubarb, vanilla, pecan pie, green peppercorn, applewood smoked bacon, spearmint.
- Item #: i_249060Bottle Size: 750mlPatrick McNeil found Paydirt in the western hillsides of Paso Robles and in winemaker McPrice Myers. Patrick and McPrice focus on the cooler sites of Paso Robles, where California's greatest daily shift in temperature and limestone-rich soils provide the ideal environment for extremely rich and balanced zinfandels.
A blend of 84% Zinfandel, 6% Syrah, 4% Grenache, 3% Mourvedre, and 3% Petite Sirah, the nose is filled with ripe blackberries, plum, sweet tobacco, dark chocolate, and cranberry relish. The palate is densely packed with ripe berries, brown spice, sweet Cuban coffee, and chalky minerality. The finish is persistent, layered and vibrant, with a nice touch of spice.
- Item #: i_249710Bottle Size: 750MLPedroncelli's Mother Clone is a classic Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel with fragrant aromas of ripe berry and black plum with a touch of black pepper spice. Concentrated blackberry and fig flavors are framed by subtle toasted oak with a dusty-spicy finish. Well integrated flavors with round tannins and bright acidity are a hallmark of the Pedroncelli style. Enjoy now or cellar for three to five years.
- Item #: i_259230Bottle Size: 750mlThe Seghesio wines seem to always light up our mouths with a combination of great flavors that you just don't get in many other Zinfandels. They have established quite a consistent track record for high scores on their wines! More recent rendition of Seghesio's Zinfandels have earned places on Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines list, and if the current releases and scores are any indications, they are a shoe-in to make it on this list for 2018!
Seghesio Family Vineyards was established in 1895 when Italian immigrant and winemaker Edoardo Seghesio planted his first Zinfandel vineyard in what is now Seghesio's Home Ranch Vineyard in Sonoma County's Alexander Valley. Edoardo and his wife Angela continued to tend their vineyards through Prohibition and were one of approximately 100 wineries to survive that era. Post-prohibition, Seghesio was a key supplier of grapes and bulk wine to large California wineries. Today, fourth generation family member Ted Seghesio makes the Seghesio wines and the family has become renowned for exceptional Zinfandels and Italian varietals.
Their Sonoma County Zinfandel comes from diverse lots of Zinfandel that span the Sonoma landscape. Each of these lots is produced under the careful eye of Ted Seghesio and he blends a small amount of Petite Sirah to honor century old traditions and to provide color and structure.
- Item #: i_276790Bottle Size: 750mlLuscious intensity of blackberries and pomegranate in appearance and depth. Fine notes of briary and dried thyme for an herbaceous periphery. The dual sensation of biting into a firm but dark ripe plum while also sampling a slice of boysenberry pie. Smooth tannins with structure and depth make for a bold and yet flowing style. Cinnamon and nutmeg add complexity to the potent and undulating finish.
- Item #: i_265470Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - " The Pacini Vineyard Zinfandel is aged in American oak barrels for 12 months. The nose is full of ripe cherry and blueberry with undertones of toasted hazelnut and vanilla. The palate is full of ripe wild berries, spice, and cherry cola, with dusty cocoa and light tannin on the finish. The wine has great structure, and is well balanced."
Enjoy this wine with BBQ , roast duck, lamb chops, and cheeses such as Parmigiano Reggiano, aged Gouda or a dry jack.