Our 3,000 square feet underground temperature-controlled cellar now includes a selection of 10,000+ wines from many different wineries and vintages. This selection represents the world's finest growing regions from such diverse areas as California, Oregon, Washington, France, Italy, Spain, Hungary, Germany, Austria, New Zealand, Australia and Portugal.
- Item #: i_382475Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
Working organically since his first vintage in 2004, all the grapes are hand-picked. Vinification is traditional (small wooden press), there is a very prudent use of oak 'a good barrel is a barrel you cannot taste' says Albert, it should 'help the wine express itself not actually add its own mark to the juice'. All wines are then bottled without fining or filtration, making them the most exciting and expressive wines we have tasted from this upcoming region.
80% Carignan, 20% Garnacha 10 months in 1-3 year old French oak barrels 40-75 year old vines Primary violets, black cherry, raspberry, herbs & oak, palate has vim & vigour, rich, broad black fruits, fennel, floral, plum and dark chocolate
- Item #: i_382357Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 92PRACTICING ORGANIC
70% Carignan, 30% Garnacha
This is a newer discovery and we are happy to be able to bring this fabulous wine into the store! Acustic Celler is the project of Albert Jané who grew up helping tend vineyards and learning the craft of winemaking from his family. He worked there until he was 33 years old when he fell in love with the rugged landscape and ancient vineyards of Montsant, an area of north-eastern Spain which surrounds Priorat. Albert left the security of the family business to start his own adventure, Acústic Celler. He chose the winery name to reflect his desire to keep his wines, “unplugged.” In other words, to let the terroir and grapes speak for themselves. The old vines provide an amazing nectar of fruit, which is fermented using natural yeasts. Cautious use of barrel-aging helps the wines achieve maturity without hiding the character of the grapes from which they have been made. The flavors of this wine dance on the tongue and somehow manage to achieve richness and lightness at once. Bravo!
- Item #: i_381401Bottle Size: 750mlMerlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Franc
This is a ripe and moderately rich coastal Tuscan red, with enough extract to give a little velvety texture and structure. Driven by fruit (like plum, black cherry, and blackberry macerated in spirits), dried herbs, and a touch of vanilla from the year in oak. The finish gives you some pleasantly ripe fruit skins. A good wine for drinking on its own or partnering with moderately rich dishes.
This estate has been bringing us incredible value since the 90's with the help of the late legendary winemaker of Ornellaia, Tibor Gal, who assisted them in the start of their own winery. The Pellegrini estates include vineyards in some of the most reputable spots in Bolgheri. The home to some of the most well-known Super Tuscans in the world including the highly regarded, Sassicaia. The one place where Bordeaux varietals take precedence over any native Italian grape.
The Pellegrini family have been grape growers for many generations and have sold their grapes to some of the Top Super Tuscan houses for many years. Their property, Casavecchia, is adjacent to the highly regarded Ornellaia and shares many attributes of its more famous neighbor. Somehow, even in this high rent district, Aia Vecchia has brought us an affordable interpretation of this fantastic Mediterranean climate location. This fantastic Super Tuscan is drinking exceptionally well right now!
- Item #: i_302916Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Very complex aromas of fresh flowers, blackberries and black licorice follow through to a full body, integrated tannins and a long and linear finish. Focused and racy. The tannins are so polished. Better in 2022, but already such a joy to try."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Petit Verdot (25%), Merlot (20%) and Sangiovese (5%), the 2016 Solengo is a terrific wine and I enjoyed my sample down to the very last drop that I coaxed from the bottle with happy enthusiasm. This is a full-bodied red (but not in an exaggerated manner) with plump and fruit-forward aromas of dark cherry, blackberry, plum, spice and sweet tobacco. The wine is balanced with excellent depth and mouthfeel momentum. I highly recommend this wine from both the 2015 and 2016 vintages, which are both terrific. Some 25,000 bottles were made. Drink through 2035."
- Item #: i_302116Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, & Syrah
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A savory, spicy red with dark berries and chocolate and a hint of vanilla on the palate. Medium to full body, very chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. Drink from 2021."
NC is a wine with a decisive, full-bodied character, smooth tannins and a persistent finish. This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah andSangiovese reveals an exciting potency, with the innate gentleness of Merlot creating a bridge between the evident earthiness of Sangiovese, the aromatic blackcurrant flavour of Cabernet and the warm red berries of Syrah. The result is a generous, rounded red wine, destined for short to medium ageing, with delicious aromas of currants and generous fruit flavours, versatile enough to develop in greater depth during long months in the bottle.
- Item #: i_301610Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
This is a special wine for Badia a Coltibuono, an homage to the native grape varieties of Tuscany. Made from Mammolo, Ciliegiolo, Pugnitello, Colorino, Sanforte, Malvasia Nera, Canaiolo, Foglia Tonda, and, of course, Sangiovese! Native yeast fermented and aged in barrel individually, then blended according to quality and balance. So as to not cover up the quality fruit too much, mostly previously used barrels are used for a totl of 18-20 months.
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "What happens when you blend the indigenous grapes Mammolo, Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Ciliegiolo, Colorino, Foglia Tonda, Malvasia Nera, Sanforte and Pugnitello? You get the 2015 Montebello. This is a beautifully intense and curious wine in that it challenges you to come up with precise clues to identify the individual grapes. The bouquet is broadly projected like a wide-screen television, with cherry, blackberry, spice, tar and licorice. The depth and complexity of this vintage is particularly attractive. There is crisp acidity at the end of this mid-weight delivery that makes this wine great for fatty cuts of beef or lamb. This wine may not be for everyone, but I definitely got a charge here. "
- Item #: i_381221Bottle Size: 750mlIt is an exciting time for Spanish winemaking and particularly for the Priorat region which continues its evolution as a producer of thrilling red wines. Although winemaking has taken place in Priorat for centuries, the region really caught the public’s attention in the 1990’s when several producers blazed a trail, focusing on quality. Today, this area is thriving and the demand for its wines continues to grow.
One of the great names associated with winemaking in Spain is Juan Gil, maker of the hugely popular Clio and El Nido wines, which sell out quickly once we get them in the store. One of Gil’s newer ventures is his exciting project in Priorat which he calls Bluegray, named for the color of the slate soils in his vineyards. Bluegray is a blend of 45% Grenache, 30% Mazuelo (Carignan) and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, which is lush and powerful, yet artfully balanced with pure fruit flavors augmented by minerality imparted by the soils. It is made in a ripe, fruit-forward style which seems tailor-made for the American palate.
Deep ruby with heavy staining of the tears, the nose shows focused ripe black fruit and cherry flavors accented by fresh autumn spices, mineral and spicy notes. On the palate, this wine is full-bodied with very smooth tannins. The fresh fruit flavors on display include blackberry, cherry, currant and blue plums. This shows good balance and drinkability with a long, lingering finish. Enjoy on its own or with grilled and roasted beef, aged cheeses and hearty dishes.
- Item #: i_377824Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Aromas of spices, smoke, berries and bark follow through to a medium body, medium round tannins and a wonderful finish. Love the finish of this, which gives a hint of walnuts, dark tea and ripe fruit. Very sophisticated. A blend of Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon."
Bodegas Caro was born of an alliance between two wine cultures, (French and Argentine), two noble grape varieties, (Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec), and two royal families of winemaking, (Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) and Nicolas Catena.) The name of the winery, Bodegas Caro is a contraction of the two family names, CAtena and ROthschild. Their plan was to produce a wine that would combine their expertise and the signature grapes of each producer. Together, these families have made a wine which delivers immediate gratification and can also be cellared over the mid-term.
Malbec is a powerful, exuberant fruity grape variety that benefits from the structure and elegance given by the Cabernet. These two grape varieties go well together with the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Bodegas Caro has succeeded in making a wine that is flat-out gorgeous and immensely satisfying.
- Item #: i_380673Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Approximately half of the volume of the 2017 Amancaya matured in oak barrels, and the other half was kept in concrete vats for one year. This comes from vineyards in Altamira, and the barrels used for the élevage are mostly in barriques produced by Lafite that have a very light toast, with the idea to preserve the aromatics of the wine and let it breath and provide structure in the élevage without interfering with the aromas. The oak is very nicely integrated and folded into the fruit, and the wine comes through as quite pure and fruit driven, with moderate ripeness and a harmonious palate. This was born as the classical second wine in a Bordeaux sense. This wine is sold in Argentina as Petit Caro. 350,000 bottles produced. It was bottled in December 2018."
60% to 70% Malbec, 30% to 40% Cabernet Sauvignon
Deep ruby color. The nose is expressive with notes of red fruits, coffee and black pepper. Complex on the palate with aromas of plums, fruit and spices, this well-balanced wine is an elegant expression of Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Item #: i_308006Bottle Size: 750MLA top South African red wine here from Boekenhoutskloof. The Chocolate Block is made with a blend of wine types, predominantly Syrah supported by Grenache, Cinault, Cabernet Sauvignon and Viognier. It spends over a year rest in French oak before being bottled up and shipped around the globe for wine enthusiasts that love a rich, chocolatey red.
- Item #: i_381888Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 90WINERY NOTES - "Intense cherry red color. Remarkable aromatic complexity with notes of black fruit, light balsamic and toasted touches that remind of BBQ and a vanilla chocolate cake. Cherry cola, lavender, bright red and black preserves in the mouth, full bodied with rich complexity."
JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "Light and crisp, but also full of character with some nice red-cherry aromas that pull you back for more and, with each sip, the wine seems to expand a bit more. "
- Item #: i_302191Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 9640% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Petit Verdot, & 20% Cabernet Franc
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Aromas of black licorice and blackberry. Blueberry, too. This is so complex. Full body, extremely silky and polished with lovely tannins. Deep and long. It seems powerful and rich yet ends so balanced and refined."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Ilatraia is a drop-dead gorgeous blend...all fruit coming from Brancaia's Maremma vineyards along the Tuscan coast. This warm vintage has shaped an exuberant and intense red wine that hits the palate with lavish richness. The complex bouquet is composed of dark fruit elements that are contrasted seamlessly against spice, sweet tobacco and campfire ash. Yet the mouthfeel is never too heavy or overextracted. There's a lot to enjoy here."
- Item #: i_380210Bottle Size: 750MLMas de Can Blau is a red wine produced by the winery Can Blau in the D.O Montsant. This winery, located in the town of Molá (Tarragona) belongs to the group Gil Family States. Mas de Can Blau is a blend of the varieties Cariñena, Syrah and Garnacha. The grapes originate from old vines of 40 years of age. For its production, the maceration and fermentation is performed in small stainless steel containers. The malolactic fermentation is completed in French oak barrels, and in the same barrels where is was aged for 18 months. A Large aromatic intensity, presence of ripe red fruit combined with and abundance of roasted tones.Full bodied and enveloping on the palate. Passing is unctuous and tasty. Very good acidity and round tannins. Long and persistent finish.
- Item #: i_381754Bottle Size: 750mlA beautiful, impeccably balanced wine. There is lovely transparency and elegance to the fruit in an expression of Sangiovese that offers gorgeous roundness in a mid-weight, elegant style. The finish is long, soft and caressing. Even better, this is an outstanding value!
- Item #: i_301646Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Il Toro is an elegant blend of Syrah and Petit Verdot that expresses the benefits of a moderate climate such as Tuscany's, where vines grow naturally without needing irrigation and yield an excellent quantity and quality of fruit. The resulting wine is a bold Super Tuscan that attests to the fact that French varietals can thrive in Tuscany and give exceptional quality, whilst retaining an undeniably Tuscan character.
Beautiful diversity, density in the nose: brambleberry, raspberry, flambéed cherries are tempered by scents of scrub oak hillside, wet nursery and sea side campfire. The palate starts lush with bright red berries and white pepper, leading to firm tannins and forward acidity-- excellent structure! The strength and grip of this bull is lifted by dark red, spicy fruits: plum, redcurrant, cherry cola. Bellisimo!
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of Petit Verdot and Syrah, the 2016 Il Toro is a muscular animal that boldly exposes dark fruit, blackberry preserves, dried cherry, spice, leather and spicy cedar. The blend is unique because it pairs the volume and spicy intensity of Syrah with the density, darkness and structure of Petit Verdot. Softer aromas of sweet fruit cede quickly to tar, grilled herb and rich plum. Pair this wine with grilled T-bone steak. This is a bold and expressive wine that opens a new chapter for Filippo Chia and his talented team."
- Item #: i_380795Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "Very deep and dark with enormous concentration but also a lot of finesse. There’s some toast and chocolate from oak, as well as great freshness. Stunning harmony and a very long finish that tells a totally fascinating story. A blend of 73% cabernet sauvignon and 27% malbec."
- Item #: i_302344Bottle Size: 750mlRipe dark fruits, notes of telltale Montalcino underbrush and herbs, nimble acidity, and satisfying tannins make this Rosso di Montalcino drink like a true “baby Brunello.” A blend of the best organically grown grapes, this Rosso spends about 18 months in barrel before bottling (regulations require that Brunello spends two years in barrel, making this wine akin to Montalcino’s more famous sibling).
- Item #: i_378601Bottle Size: 750ml40% Touriga Nacional, 25% Touriga Franca, 15% Tinta Roriz (aka Tempranillo), 10% Castelão, 10% Alicante Bouschet
One of our favorite red wine values: medium-bodied, with a moderately concentrated palate of mature dark fruit (black plums, blackberries) with spicy and floral accents, a moderate amount soft tannin, but dry and fresh in acidity throughout.
This ancient estate is nestled in the sun-drenched hills near Alenquer, just northwest of Lisbon. The Tavares da Silva family has nurtured the vineyards over the years, and today their youngest daughter, Sandra, is making some of the most exciting wines in Portugal. Sandra has built a name for herself as a modern and mindful winemaker in the Duoro Region.
Traditional Portuguese Red wines are rarely single-varietal bottlings, but instead are complex field blends-almost always 5-6 grapes at a minimum, but sometimes up to 25 or 30. The family employs the traditional concrete lagares for fermentation, extracting just the right amount of flavor and color. Aromas of violets, ginger and fine-spices, and serious red fruit by fresh are followed wild berry fruit and a fine-bead of minerality on the palate. The wine is serious enough to be paired with the most elevated meals or age beautifully, but it's also fun enough for burgers on the grill.
- Item #: i_380810Bottle Size: 750ML58% Malbec, 23% Merlot, 10% Cab Sauv, 8% Syrah, 1% Petit Verdot
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A fine and fresh wine with blueberries and fresh herbs. Medium body, refined and focused. Linear and tight texture. Very long and bright. Layered and delicious. "
- Item #: i_377354Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ORGANICALLY GROWN GRAPES
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This time there were two vintages of the top-of-the-range red to taste, as the 2014 is almost finished and the 2015 Clos Mogador will be released soon. In this warmer vintage, there is a little more Cariñena in the blend, with the final breakdown something like 45% Garnacha, 29% Cariñena, 16% Syrah and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. This had the same vinification and aging as the 2014: fermentation with indigenous yeasts and a 35- to 45-day maceration, followed by an élevage in 300-liter barrels and 2,000-liter foudres that lasted 18 months. 2015 is a rounder and easier year than 2014, and it feels a little riper, supple but with good freshness. It's clean and precise with nicely integrated oak. This was an easy vintage for the winery, and the wines are easy to understand and more approachable early on. 31,000 bottles produced. It was bottled in July 2017."
Clos Mogador is named after the single vineyard that René Barbier started to cultivate in the 1970's in the now-famous wine village of Gratallops. The wines of Clos Mogador have become as famous as other mythical wines of the world such as Italy's Sassicaia and Bordeaux's Château Margaux. It has reached the cult status (and prices) as "un Grande Vino" on the world's stage.
One of the most interesting aspects of winemaking at Clos Mogador is the fact that René presses the grape using an olive press, which has the effect of only extracting half of the amount of juice that a typical wine press would, making the wine 50% more concentrated. Considering that Priorat wines are already highly concentrated, and that "normal" yields are absolutely microscopic (especially compared to other Spanish wine regions such as La Rioja), the wines of Clos Mogador are nearly elixirs. Robert Parker, the influential wine critic, was one of the first international critics to praise the wines of this stunning winery.
- Item #: i_382774Bottle Size: 750mlCocodrilo is a new project from Paul Hobbs, with this wine appearing for the first time in the United States. This Cabernet-dominant blend boasts an enviable combination of power and finesse. It is full-bodied with pure, concentrated fruit and is certain to please Hobbs' many fans. Paul Hobbs is well-known for his exceptional California wines, crafting masterful renditions of Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir. When visiting Argentina in 1989, Paul became enamored with its people, the culture and the huge potential for viticulture. He and his Argentine partners founded Viña Cobos and helped take winemaking in Argentina to a new level. He has had great success making premium priced wines and Cocodrilo demonstrates his ability to make a compelling Bordeaux-style blend at an affordable price.
Opaque purple in color. An aromatic display of exotic spices and concentrated black fruits including black currant and black cherry along with notes of cedar and baker's chocolate. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied with mouth-filling crème de cassis, ripe black cherry and blackberry flavors. The tannins are fine-grained and oh so silky. The wine demonstrates stunning purity and finishes with noteworthy length; very impressive.
- Item #: i_305333Bottle Size: 750mlThe wine is a blend of Nebbiolo, Croatina, Vespolina, Barbera and other native varieties. The average age of the vines are 60 years CERTIFIED BIODYNAMIC.
ORIGINI is a fruity, mineral and spiced wine produced with the various grapes in the old vineyards grown according to the system called "Maggiorina".
This form of breeding, which has existed for centuries, is made up of three screws, supported by eight chestnut poles, which develop into four cardinal points. The architect Antonelli (designer of "Mole Antonelliana") perfected the bell of the supporting poles, obtaining a self-supporting structure that is more resistant to grain loads.
If the complete manual processing at all the phenological phases of the vineyard, after the 1950s, has led the peasants to abandon this type of breeding, in its recovery it is intended to preserve a significant part of the historic wine heritage of our territory.
- Item #: i_377711Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94 PointsDecanter: 94 Points52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Malbec, 14% Cabernet Franc, 11% Merlot, and 7% Petit Verdot
TIM ATKIN, MW 95 POINTS
DECANTER 94 POINTS - "Showcasing the Cape’s ability to turn out great Left Bank-style blends is this Cabernet Sauvignon-dominant wine from Stellenbosch’s De Toren Private Cellar. Fusion V, the boutique winery’s flagship label, takes its name for its selection of the best of Bordeaux’s ‘noble 5’ grape varieties that comprise the blend...A rich and concentrated wine filled with mixed red and black berries, hints of dark chocolate and an oak-spiciness around the edges. It has a lovely smooth texture and is extremely drinkable. "
De Toren suggests pairing with "tender grilled or roast lamb, with garlic, rosemary, and a hint of honey lemon."
- Item #: i_380604Bottle Size: 750ml63% Cabernet Sauvignon, 21% Merlot, 10% Malbec, 6% Cabernet Franc"
TIM ATKIN, MW 92 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Bright and fresh, with good lift to the cassis, plum and cherry coulis flavors that stream through, lined with light savory, singed vanilla and floral notes. The fresh, focused finish lets the fruit play out. Well done. "
- Item #: i_382658Bottle Size: 750mlDark violet color. Blackcurrants and dark plums on the nose with spicy and dried herbs notes Medium to full body with bright acidity, juicy body, and a tannin backbone.CERTIFIED ORGANIC