Our 3,000 square feet underground temperature-controlled cellar now includes a selection of 10,000+ wines from many different wineries and vintages. This selection represents the world's finest growing regions from such diverse areas as California, Oregon, Washington, France, Italy, Spain, Hungary, Germany, Austria, New Zealand, Australia and Portugal.
- Item #: i_301305Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS
90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot and Syrah - The wine is ruby red in color with aromas of ripe red fruit and well amalgamated notes of vanilla and coffee. The palate enjoys a notable support from the acidity, which maintains a pleasurable freshness and persistence of flavor along with soft and sweet tannins which guarantee excellent drinkability.
- Item #: i_301289Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - Intense aromas and flavors of cherry, blueberry, graphite and spice mark this solid red. Dense without being overly tannic, with a balanced finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Item #: i_301022Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Badia a Passignano is a pure expression of Sangiovese. Fruit is sourced from the San Donato area of the appellation that is not an official subzone yet but is increasingly emerging as such. This wine is distinguished by a beautiful level of openness and softness (on the Sangiovese spectrum, which means you also get a bright dose of acidity). That softness or lushness comes in part due to the warm vintage but also thanks to the winemaking approach that relies on larger barrels (from 300 to 500 liters) and Hungarian oak that tends to be more porous and thickly textured for increased passage of oxygen. The wine offers beautiful balance between its dark fruit and savory spice comments. This Chianti Classico Gran Selezione was not produced in 2014." - Monica Larner (6th Sep 2018)
- Item #: i_305878Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Just in this week, the 2016 Tignanello from the Antinori family is a wonderful follow-up to the previous vintage! This is one of the wines that launched the famous "Super-Tuscan" movement by pairing Sangiovese with Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc and aging in smaller French oak barrels, making Italian wines that could go head-to-head with the greats of Bordeaux and Napa Valley. Seeing the previous vintage sell out quickly, we think it's only fair to alert you now: The 2016 version is once again poised to be an international hit!
This is such a polished wine, already so enjoyable! There are elegant aromas of concentrated, ripe dark fruits (like blackberry and black cherry compote) interwoven with subtle earthy balsam and fresh herbal hints. The palate walks a thin line between baked and fresh fruit, with the gently herbal & savory counterpoints creating flavor balance. The French oak is finely integrated already, adding to an appetizing chewiness along with a layer of dark cocoa and a brooding hint of charred fruit on the finish. This is such a drinkable wine already thanks to the velvet texture and seamless integration of all its components; it's one of those wines that's deceiving in its complexity, pulling it off so effortlessly. What's more, the complexity will only grow as the ample fruit peels back over the years!
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "To hit the market in June, the 2016 Tignanello is a rock-solid wine and a stunning beauty. The wine offers an impeccable level of precision and laser-focus delivery of fruits, spices, tilled earth, espresso beans and Mediterranean herbs. This vintage follows the classic blending formula of 80% Sangiovese with about 13% Cabernet Sauvignon and 7% Cabernet Franc. The vines are now 15 to 20 years old. Compared to the 2015 vintage that ultimately appeared more chewy and succulent, this expression from the iconic 2016 vintage is more vibrant, nervous and jazzed. It shows more savory spice, saltiness and minerality, with a beautifully integrated quality of tannins. Some 320,000 bottles were produced. This wine is at the top of the list of some of the best Tignanello ever made, including the vintages 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2015."
- Item #: i_305605Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ORGANICALLY FARMED
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Showing beautiful results in an excellent vintage, the 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva is a graceful and elegantly tempered red wine. It makes good on all the basic promises of traditional Sangiovese: the complexity and elegance of the grape and that fresh acidity. It opens to a mid-weight style, making this a perfect wine for roast chicken and roast potatoes. Pretty mineral notes appear on the close, and the tannin is beautifully integrated."
- Item #: i_305716Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 9380% Sangiovese, 15% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva Brolio is a terrific wine that lives up to our expectations of a Riserva, while maintaining that playful informality that you don't get in the estate's more contemplative Gran Selezione. Indeed, the Riserva category of Chianti Classico has been largely overlooked ever since Gran Selezione came onto the scene some seven years ago, thus knocking Riserva off the top of the quality pyramid. This wine reminds you why you should take a closer look at Riserva. The bright aromas of dark cherry, spice and tilled earth are fresh and cheerful and are exactly why we are attracted to Chianti Classico in the first place. The blend here is 80% Sangiovese, 15% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, aged in new and used tonneaux for 18 months. The mouthfeel is slender and fresh, making this a perfect wine for slices of steak, or tagliata, with porcini mushrooms. "
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "n expression of fresh cherry greets the nose in this taut red, yet this remains austere on the palate, with fruit, iron, earth and oak spice flavors bound up in a grip of tannins. Everything is in the right place, but this needs time. Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Best from 2022 through 2042. "
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a fantastic Chianti Classico Riserva that displays blackcurrants, dark plums, redder plums, tulips and cedar. Medium to full body, some really restrained and attractive tannins and a tangy finish. Drink now."
- Item #: i_380054Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 9390% Sangiovese, 5% Merlot, 5% Canaiolo
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a fantastic Chianti Classico Riserva that displays blackcurrants, dark plums, redder plums, tulips and cedar. Medium to full body, some really restrained and attractive tannins and a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_305065Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96+ORGANICALLY GROWN GRAPES
WINE SPECTATOR 96+ POINTS "HOT BUY" - "Alluring aromas of wild rosemary, thyme and sage complement the black cherry, blackberry, iron and tobacco flavors in this powerful red, which is supple and fluid, yet muscular too, with a long, resonant finish. Best from 2021 through 2040."
Founded in 1865, Bibbiano is located in the historic Chianti region, in the municipality of Castellina in Chianti, overlooking the Elsa Valley towards the castle of Monteriggioni. Today’s owners, Tommaso and Federico Marrocchesi Marzi, are the fifth generation.
Surrounded by vast olive groves consisting of over three thousand trees, Bibbiano’s vineyards cover an area of about 25 hectares, at an altitude ranging from 270 to 300 meters, with enviable exposure and excellent microclimate. The vineyards consist of plants of Sangiovese and Sangiovese Grosso grapes as well as a smaller quantity of Colorino.
- Item #: i_301755Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A very beautiful and thoughtful Testamatta with aromas of earth, terra cotta, black tea, and lavender. Full-bodied, very layered and extremely polished with superb, soft tannins. Racy and very long. Muscular and formed but very, very balanced. Gorgeous richness and depth. Shows balance and wonder. Try in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS
Bibi Graetz, a respected artist born of Italian and Norwegian parents, started Testmatta (meaning “hot head” in Italian) in the late 90’s just outside of Florence in the renaissance town of Fiesole. At the time his family was faced with losing the lease contracts on some untended old Sangiovese vines that surround his home at the Castello de Vincigliata, or to take the time to recover the vineyard and produce wines. Naturally Bibi saw an artistic opportunity, and chose to begin production with his first vintage in 2000.
Bibi is known for his artwork throughout Europe, and each label is adorned with his personal work.
Testamatta Toscana is his Super Tuscan offering, though breaking a bit with new tradition for Super Tuscans, this wine is 100% Sangiovese. Bibi wanted to see what could be done with Sangiovese with judicious use of new French oak, and the result is the creation of a cult classic. Bibi’s Testamatta Toscana IGT will lay down for quite some time.
- Item #: i_302970Bottle Size: 750ml100% Sangiovese
Bibi Graetz is an artist by nature and a winemaker by choice, displaying his unique and colorful hand painted creations on his wine labels. This wine is aged only in stainless steel for 6 months before bottling, allowing for a straightforward, freshly-fruited red for the table. It's also classic expression of the grape, cherry-fruited and a touch of terracotta earthiness, and "dusty" tannin against the juicy palate.
- Item #: i_301306Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90James Suckling: 93Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsORGANICALLY FARMED & PRACTICING BIODYNAMIC
25% Cabernet Franc, 25% Merlot, 16% Sangiovese, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot, 7% Alicante and 6% Syrah.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "brawny, masculine aromas of leather, tobacco, cured meat and dark fruit. It feels on the ripe side, with chewy prune and plum flavors that are backed by a textured, velvety finish."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is chewy and powerful with a full body and rich, ripe tannins. Lots of dried fruits and spices. Long finish. "
- Item #: i_305056Bottle Size: 750mlFontedoccia owes its name to the vineyard of production that is spread along a beautiful ridge in the south area of Acquaviva. The rich presence of water sources justifies the name of the area, called Fontedoccia.
A lively ruby-red colour with purple reflections. Red flowers and spicy notes. Youthful and fresh with gentle tannins.
- Item #: i_381856Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90James Suckling: 93100% Sangiovese
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A soft and silky red with plum and chocolate character. Hints of walnuts. Medium to full body, polished tannins and a clean finish. Best wine from here in a long time. "
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2015 Chianti Classico Fontalpino is a delightful wine to drink. It shows ripe primary fruit and sweet back notes that add to the textural richness and the decisive but relatively understated power of the wine. Dark cherry, blackberry, spice and cured leather are part of the aromatic ensemble. The mouthfeel is fresh, soft and nicely constructed with pretty layers of medium extraction and firmness."
Ferrini as a consulting enologist for some of the greatest wineries in Italy. One of her crowning achievements has been working with Casanova di Neri when they received a 100 point score from Wine Spectator for the 2001 Brunello Cerretalto. As she continues her consulting business, she also runs her own family winery, Carpineta Fontalpino, along with her brother Filippo producing some of the best Chianti Classico and Super Tuscan wines from her own estate grown fruit.
- Item #: i_301357Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 90 PointsPRACTICING ORGANIC
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A ripe and juicy red with hot stone, dried cherry and hints of berry undertones. Full and chewy yet soft and polished texture. A muscular and solid red. "
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Made with organically grown Sangiovese, this boasts earthy aromas of black-skinned berry, underbrush and leather. The savory palate delivers Marasca cherry, cinnamon and white pepper alongside polished tannins and vibrant acidity. "
KERMIT LYNCH WINE MERCHANT - "Thick and saucy, it echoes the flavors of herbs and stewed tomatoes with which you’d coat a serving of hot pappardelle. With balance, grip, and rustic, earthy nuances, this is the real deal, straight from the Tuscan countryside."
- Item #: i_302643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95+85% Sangiovese (Sangioveto) & 15% Malvasia Nera
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2013 I Sodi di S. Niccolò is 85% Sangioveto (a more antique name for Sangiovese) and 15% Malvasia Nera from a single vineyard. This wine opens to a darkly saturated appearance and shows ruby, garnet and purple highlights. The bouquet is powerful but seamless at the same time with smooth transitions between dark cherry, spice, tobacco and moist clay. In the mouth, this wine shows dense extraction, but it never feels too weighed down by that mass. Instead, the freshness of the fruit and the natural acidity give the wine a bright and buoyant personality. Aged in barrique for 30 months, this is a delightful Tuscan red."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95+ POINTS - "The flagship 2013 I Sodi di San Niccolò is classy and polished to the core. In many vintages, the I Sodi di San Niccolò can be more overt and extroverted, but in 2003 it is a wine of cool sophistication and polish. A rush of dark red and purplish-hued stone fruits, wild flowers, mint and licorice rounds out things out. The 2013 is a stylish, captivating Sodi. All it needs is time in bottle. For my money, Sodi remains one of the world's most pedigreed under-the-radar wines."
- Item #: i_305041Bottle Size: 750mlMade from 90% Sangioveto, 5% Canaiolo, and 5% Ciliegiolo grown in the Il Poggiale vineyard, the grapes come from an elevation of almost 1,500 feet above sea level. The combination of high elevation and low yields results in a wine that manages to simultaneously show both restraint and layered richness. This classic red holds great aging capability.
Tasting notes: Vibrant and lively ruby colour. The nose displays typical violet flowers and cherry fruit scents and a mineral note. Opens immediately to the palate with freshness and flavour dominating the middle part of the tasting, while the pleasant finish offers fragrant fruity notes.
- Item #: i_305130Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "A wine of pure femininity and grace, the 2011 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigneto La Casuccia is wonderfully fleshy and radiant in the glass. Rose petal, sweet red cherry, tobacco, mint and spices meld together as this effortless, supple wine shows off its undeniably appealing personality. Sweet, silky tannins wrap around a super-expressive finish laced with knock-out aromatics. The 2011 is firing on all cylinders today."
The La Casuccia vineyard comprises 12.58 hectares, of which some 6 were planted in 1978; the remainder was planted in 2007 at a density of 5,300 vines per hectare. The elevation ranges from 480 metres to 526 for the vines at Adine. Soils are fairly consistent throughout, predominantly calcareous clay. The vines are vertically-trained to the single Guyot system in 8.04 hectares and to the open lyre in 4.54. The vineyard is sub-divided into 17 parcels, all planted to the traditional varieties authorised by the production code. One parcel is planted to Merlot; its wine is produced only in exceptional growing years, and in very limited quantities. The first vintage was bottled in 1985.
Deep, very luminous ruby red. Multi-layered, full-volumed nose of fruit, ranging through wild cherry, tobacco leaf, black liquorice, and mint. Equally superb richness and elegance in the mouth, excelling in depth and balance of all components, including the tannins.
- Item #: i_305125Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - 'Ama's 2011 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigneto Bellavista shows the darker, more brooding style of Sangiovese at Ama. Graphite, smoke, tar, licorice, incense and cloves wrap around a core of dark fruit. A wine of gravitas and vertical structure, the 2011 will reward several decades of cellaring. This is an unusually stern wine for the vintage though. Readers will have to be patient to experience the Bellavista at its best. Still, I can't help notice how much the 2011 has grown in bottle over the last year."
The Bellavista vineyard comprises 22.82 hectares, planted part in 1974 and 1978 (ca. 9.31 hectares), while the remaining 13.51 hectares were planted between 2006 and 2008; the elevation varies from 530 metres, in the area known as Bellaria, and 456 metres, for Campinuovi. The soils are predominantly clay, with abundant pebble-gravel component. 16.34 hectares are vertically-trained to the single Guyot system, and the remaining 6.48 hectares are trained to the open lyre configuration. The first release of this much-prized selection was in 1978; it is produced only in the finest growing years, in very limited quantity.
A purple-shot, deep red ruby. An emphatic spice is the first to make itself felt, classic to the Bellavista vineyard, but superbly married with well-ripened wild cherry, redcurrant, black liquorice, mint, and tobacco leaf. Powerful and masculine in its expression, the contribution of its considerable extraction. Its harmony of components and sheer elegance make this wine an extraordinary example of a Super Chianti Classico.
- Item #: i_301997Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 9580% Sangiovese, 14% Merlot, 7% Malvasia Nera
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione San Lorenzo represents a blend of some of the estate’s best Sangiovese from vines that are 20 years old and more. You do feel that extra density, intensity and complexity within the very fiber of this beautiful wine. The effect is deep and layered."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "What first strikes you about the nose is that it offers one of the purest fruit expressions of all the 2015 Gran Seleziones. Blackcurrants, orange and lemon rind, brambleberries, heather, sage, thyme and blackberry leaves are all a feature. The tannins are steely, and the flavors are so savory. The fruit is carried through to the long, chewy finish by the highly refreshing acidity. Drink in 2020."
- Item #: i_302215Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This wine is one of the true protagonists of the 2015 vintage. The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigneto Bellavista offers an unreal level of intensity and depth with profound darkness and perfectly integrated tannins versus acidity. This wine was not produced in 2014. This vintage only saw 4,200 bottles made. The wine pours forth with rich fruit that is tightly woven within the wine's generous texture. Spice, smoke and tobacco appear as brief afterthoughts. Despite the beauty of the bouquet, this wine is ultimately all about the finesse and the elegance of its mouthfeel and that subtle game it plays alternating between brawn and grace. Vigneto Bellavista is bellissimo."
- Item #: i_305705Bottle Size: 750mlCastello di Fonterutoli, one of Italy's most prestigious wine producers, is situated on a historic property embracing an entire tranquil, centuries-old hamlet just south of Castellina in Chianti. The estate has been in the hands of the Mazzei family since 1435 and is today led by Lapo Mazzei and his sons, Francesco and Filippo. Grapes are hand-harvested and then fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks at 75-84°F. The total maceration period is 12-15 days. The wine is aged in a combination of French and American oak barrels for 10 months.Intense aromas of red berries and cocoa. On the palate it is soft and smooth with flavors of wild blackberries and raspberries; well balanced, with great depth and a long finish.
- Item #: i_302300Bottle Size: 750mlThe Chianti Colli Senesi appelation covers a vast area of cool-climate southern Tuscany, which has remained surprisingly pristine for centuries.
The body has tension and shape without being heavy, there is freshness and bite: this was made for the table. This is pervasive and honest, has both impact and agility. The fruit -redcurrant, cranberry and Morello cherry- sings with purity on the finish. This has charm and character in spades.
- Item #: i_303648Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 96ORGANICALLY FARMED
95% Sangiovese & 5% Mammolo.
It wasn't until 1994 that the government recognized the high quality of Super-Tuscans and gave the wines their own category – IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica) Toscana. Volpaia first released Coltassala in 1980 as a Super-Tuscan. The Chianti Classico appellation followed suit, closing the quality gap between Chianti Classico and Super-Tuscans. Now Coltassala is a Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Cru even though it's the same Super-Tuscan wine of 1980.
Gran Selezione is a new classification above Riserva, made using grapes harvested only from the winery's own estate vineyards, with upgraded requirements for alcohol, extract and aging. The new category was approved by the European Commission in early February 2014.
And "super" this wine is. The nose is warm and inviting with bright red berry fruits (cherry, raspberry) enveloped by cinnamon and allspice notes and an overall concentrated fruit leather aspect. In the mouth, this is a big Chianti loaded with tannic and acidic structure which is balanced out by bright red and dark fruits (blackberry, mixed red berries), hints of cherry cola, cedar, cherry tobacco and black tea. Muscular, graceful, harmonious. Pair with roasted meat, hard cheeses, cured sausages.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "This wine has now been upgraded from Riserva to Gran Selezione status. The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Coltassala is a beautifully enriched wine that bursts open with a satisfying display of bold fruit, ripe blackberry, tobacco, spice and tar. There is ample muscle and brawn, but the wine shows impressive balance thanks to its soft textural richness and full-bodied approach. The blend is 95% Sangiovese and 5% Mammolo. This is a real beauty that pairs a hot vintage with one of the coolest, high-altitude subzones (Radda in Chianti) in this celebrated appellation. I'm sure this is the best wines I have ever tasted from Castello di Volpaia."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "A decadent nose of vanilla, brambleberries, resin, coffee beans, tobacco and hot stones with a touch of citrus and other fresher elements. Full-bodied and very intense on the palate, but the ripe tannins also show plenty of firmness. The bright acidity carries this through to a delightfully long finish. From organically grown grapes."