Spain located on the Iberian Peninsula, has over 2.9 million acres planted—making it the most widely planted wine producing nation but it is the third largest producer of wine in the world, the largest being France followed by Italy. This is due, in part, to the very low yields and wide spacing of the old vines planted on the dry, infertile soil found in many Spanish wine regions. The country has an abundance of native grape varieties, with over 400 varieties planted throughout Spain though 80 percent of the country's wine production is from only 20 grapes—including the reds Tempranillo, Garnacha, and Monastrell; the whites Albariño from Galicia, Palomino, Airen, and Macabeo; and the three cava grapes Parellada, Xarel·lo, and Macabeo. Major Spanish wine regions include the Rioja and Ribera del Duero which are known for their Tempranillo production; Valdepeñas, drunk by Unamuno and Hemingway, known for high quality tempranillo at low prices; Jerez, the home of the fortified wine Sherry; Rías Baixas in the northwest region of Galicia that is known for its white wines made from Albariño and Catalonia which includes the Cava and still wine producing regions of the Penedès as well the Priorat region. Spanish wine laws created the Denominación de Origen (DO) system in 1932 and were later revised in 1970. The system shares many similarities with the hierarchical Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system of France, Portugal's Denominação de Origem Controlada (DOC) and Italy's Denominazione di origine controllata (DOC) system.
- Item #: i_377592Bottle Size: 750mlGUIA PENIN (PENIN GUIDE OF SPANISH WINES) 94 POINTS
Bodegas Alto Moncayo is a winery located in the area covered by the Campo de Borja Denominación de Origen (DO, wine quality standard). It was founded in 2002 with the aim of turning it into a world reference for Garnacha wines of the highest quality, prepared from native vine clones.
‘Alto Moncayo’ is the flagship of the winery. It is also another single-grape variety of Garnacha, from vines between 40 and 70 years old, aged in new barrels for 20 months. It has a remarkable complex nose, with balsamic aromas, redolent of black fruit, roasted notes and a very good structure in the mouth.
- Item #: i_378524Bottle Size: 750MLBodegas Alto Moncayo is a winery located in the area covered by the Campo de Borja Denominación de Origen (DO, wine quality standard). It was founded in 2002 with the aim of turning it into a world reference for Garnacha wines of the highest quality, prepared from native vine clones.
‘Veraton’ is the third wine we produce from the Garnacha grape, from vines between 30 and 50 years old, and aged in barrels for 16 months. It is a wine with an attractive collection of balsamic notes, of chocolate and black fruits, very warm in the mouth and an extremely pleasant finish.
- Item #: i_381799Bottle Size: 750ml100% Garnacha (Grenache)
A Hi-Time staple! Full-bodied and softly textured with floral, fruity, and spiced character along with toasted accents.
WINERY NOTES - "Hand harvested from very old vineyards, “Monte Alto” and “La Sarda”. These vineyards are located on very arid slate soils on the slopes of the Iberian Mountain range, close to its highest peak, El Moncayo. Aged on its lees in new French oak barrels for 4 months."
- Item #: i_381415Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90This amazing Garnacha (Grenache) with the eye-catching label offers so much for so little. The fruit is bright and fresh, the palate is silky smooth, and there is surprising complexity for a wine at this price-point. Enticing flavors of raspberry liqueur, black cherry, licorice, and exotic spices reveal themselves with each sip. Bodegas Ateca Honoro Vera is made by the Gil Family Estates who also make the famed El Nido Clio amongst other top values from Spain. They source grapes from the estate’s 60 year old Garnacha vines in Calatayud, Spain and the results speak for themselves. The quality-to-price ratio for the Honoro Vera Garnacha is off the charts and represents an incredible value in the world of wine. Delicious!
- Item #: i_306230Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A super brambly red that has abundant rich and ripe, dark berry and cherry aromas. The palate is a riot of fresh dark berries and delivers a very plush, sweetly spiced, powder-dry finish. Drink or hold."
Winemaker Notes - "Very intense cherry red color with tones of purple. Great concentration of aromas of ripe red fruit with floral nuances on the nose. In the mouth, it is a well-structured rich wine that evokes tastes of blackberry, plum and tones of leather and vanilla, with soft and silky tannin. Mountain vineyards with an age of 35 to 60 years situated at an altitude of 600-700 meters, on stony, slimy soils with clay and limestone."
- Item #: i_383406Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94ORGANICALLY FARMED
60% Garnacha Fina & Peluda, 30% Syrah, 10% Carinena
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "I love the licorice accents here, which work so well with the overtones of blueberries, citrus, boysenberries and brambles. Firm and tight on the taut palate, which is medium-bodied and so lithe and restrained. Clear-cut and precise. Drink now."
The winemaking is traditional with some modern improvements: the grapes are grown organically, then kept cold before being fermented with native yeast, and ageing takes place in medium-sized French oak barrels that are more appropriate for Garnacha. The “Via Edetana” was the ancient Roman road leading from the Mediterranean coast of Catalonia to inland Zaragoza, passing through Bodegas Edetaria’s home of Gandesa.
- Item #: i_382194Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The floral, aromatic and citrusy 2016 Espectacle del Montsant has unusual finesse and freshness. It's a powerful Garnacha that feels light on its feet but with great inner strength, refined tannins and great acidity. There is no oak, extraction or excess ripeness whatsoever, but the label says the wine is 16% alcohol! It has structure, freshness and that citrus touch that supports the alcohol, and the wine comes through as really balanced. This is a unique wine, always with the aromatic signature of this north-facing vineyard and the limestone soils that provide those chalky tannins and a dry, tasty, almost salty finish. 6,500 bottles produced."
- Item #: i_385100Bottle Size: 750mlDeMaison Selections - "Itxas Harri, located in the village of Monteagudo in the Basque region of Navarra, was the dream of Iñaki Guelbenzu. Iñaki, a long-time friend and partner of Ignacio Ameztoi in Getaria, longed to make wine in his native region. The inaugural vintage of 2018 yielded just five-hundred cases of one wine, an old-vine garnacha rosé, appropriately named Roxa, which is "rosé" in Basque. Roxa is an elegant, refreshing rosé which pairs beautifully with the grilled artichokes and vegetables for which Navarra is so famous."
- Item #: i_385101Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91ORGANICALLY FARMED
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Pegaso Zeta is the first wine completely made with the help of winemaker Marc Isart and reflects the change in direction towards fresher wines with less oak, helped by the natural conditions of the vintage. This is floral and quite expressive, with fully ripe flavors from a vintage with a slow ripeness given the good yields. It has nice balance and great drinkability, with good citrus freshness, reminiscent of blood oranges that to me represent the bright red fruit and the citrus spark. It has the depth and complexity of great dry farmed wines that deliver great grapes. Delicious. There were 16,500 bottles produced and bottled in July 2018."
- Item #: i_383697Bottle Size: 750ml100% Garnatxa Fina (aka Garnacha aka Grenache)
This is a deliciously savory wine, medium-bodied but with a subtle chewiness to the crushed velvet and chalky tannin. Amongst the umami sensations is a plummy fruit with subtle spice like white pepper and herbs. This is wonderfully drinkable due to its uncomplicated nature, balance of it components, and elegant flow from start to finish.
"Sindicat La Figuera is a small co-operative in the Montsant Mountains founded in 1932, producing wines of brightness and integrity. One must navigate very narrow, winding roads up the mountainside to reach the town of La Figuera, which sits at 600m elevation and has a mere 80 residents. The town appears to rise up out of the peak of the mountain, with the surrounding mountains and the Priorat region in view in all directions. La Figuera is known for the beauty and elegance of their pure Garnatxa wines and is one of the few places where it is bottled on its own. Famed Priorat-based winemaker, René Barbier, also took note of La Figuera’s Garnatxa wines and decided to join forces with the members of the co-op to help with winemaking. Rene says that you can always tell when a wine is from La Figuera, because there is a unique limestone content in the soil that brings lightness to the Garnatxa.
Wines are fermented with wild yeasts in underground concrete tanks with minimum temperature control, where they spend around 9 months aging on fine lees before being bottled. " - Jose Pastor Selections
- Item #: i_381699Bottle Size: 750mlBorsao's wines have been a corner stone of our Spanish section for years and years. Familiarity sometimes means we don't taste these wines as often as we should. It's true! Just grab a glass of Borsao's $6.98 Vina Borgia Garnacha, it is probably the best wine for the money on the planet. The color is a rich dark purple. Warm spices enveloped in blackberry and blueberry. The richness and spice carries through on the palate as the darker fruit tones showing on the nose are brightened by notes of red cherry and pomegranate. The folks at Borsao own nearly 3 thousand acres in Campo de Borja, roughly three quarters of the appellation. This rocky zone in the foothills of the Pyrenees is one of the original homes of the Garnache grape. There is an old church on the property that has records of Garnache plantings that go back to the 900's...