Spain located on the Iberian Peninsula, has over 2.9 million acres planted—making it the most widely planted wine producing nation but it is the third largest producer of wine in the world, the largest being France followed by Italy. This is due, in part, to the very low yields and wide spacing of the old vines planted on the dry, infertile soil found in many Spanish wine regions. The country has an abundance of native grape varieties, with over 400 varieties planted throughout Spain though 80 percent of the country's wine production is from only 20 grapes—including the reds Tempranillo, Garnacha, and Monastrell; the whites Albariño from Galicia, Palomino, Airen, and Macabeo; and the three cava grapes Parellada, Xarel·lo, and Macabeo. Major Spanish wine regions include the Rioja and Ribera del Duero which are known for their Tempranillo production; Valdepeñas, drunk by Unamuno and Hemingway, known for high quality tempranillo at low prices; Jerez, the home of the fortified wine Sherry; Rías Baixas in the northwest region of Galicia that is known for its white wines made from Albariño and Catalonia which includes the Cava and still wine producing regions of the Penedès as well the Priorat region. Spanish wine laws created the Denominación de Origen (DO) system in 1932 and were later revised in 1970. The system shares many similarities with the hierarchical Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system of France, Portugal's Denominação de Origem Controlada (DOC) and Italy's Denominazione di origine controllata (DOC) system.
- Item #: i_382047Bottle Size: 750mlTinto Fino 100% - It is purplish red, clean and bright wine. The nose has black fruit and noble wood aromas such as cedar together with licorice. There is a balance in the mouth and nose. On the palate it is an unctuous and silky.
- Item #: i_380784Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker Peter Sisseck has already been pushing the limits of top-end Ribera del Duero but has also, for some time, dreamt of capturing the soul of Ribera through a new project named after the twenty-third letter of the Greek alphabet. In 2006, he began working with a select group of growers willing to convert their old vines vineyards into organically- and ultimately biodynamically farmed sites with the goal of unleashing the potential of Ribera by creating the purest expression possible.
- Item #: i_382842Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
Estate-bottled and Demeter certified bio-dynamic, this modestly-priced (to say the least!) Tempranillo is, quite frankly, one of most astonishing values we’ve encountered in a long time. In fact, with all of the recent buzz for organic and natural wines, demand for bio-dynamic wine is at all all-time high. Luminaries like Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, Zind-Humbrecht, Domaine Leroy, Huet, Nicolas Joly, and others have helped fuel the prestige of this rare and expensive-to-implement set of organic farming practices, so when we learned about this wine—estate bottled, Demeter certified bio-dynamic, at $9.98 a bottle — we jumped at the opportunity!
Montecastrillo is the entry-level wine from the renowned Ribera del Duero estate, Finca Torremilanos. It is made from their younger vineyards, which are located on the second slope above and nearly two kilometers south of the Duero river at an altitude of 800-900 meters. Soils are deep and composed of limestone, sand and clay in roughly equal proportions along with gravels from the old river bed that are composed of silex and quartz. A beautifully dark purplish-red in color, it shows intense red fruit, licorice, and spice notes. Light-bodied on the palate, fruity, and soft in tannin. Extraordinary wine for $9.98 a bottle, a no-brainer case buy!
Tasting Notes - The nose is fragrant, loaded with red fruits, berries, red currant, balsa wood, light earthy spice. Sweet fruit is reiterated in the palate with raspberry preserves and mixed red berries kept aloft with balanced acidity and light tannins. This is an easy summer sipper, perfect for warm weather and sunny days - great red for the season.
- Item #: i_382149Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 9492% Tempranillo, 6% Graciano, 2% Maturana Tinta
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "This powerful red is austere in character but shows depth and focus, with sanguine and tarry notes framing a core of currant, licorice and mineral flavors, supported by well-integrated tannins and orange peel acidity. The polished texture gives way to a juicy finish. Drink now through 2030."
T A S T I N G N O T E S
Purple with ruby highlights, this wine shows up-front aromas of raspberries and black cherries with undertones of leather and spice. On the palate, it is expansive and rich.
F O O D P A I R I N G
Pair with lamb and apricot tajines, prime rib, tomato stews, or green lentil-based dishes.
DECANTER - "Modern elements mean it is difficult to spot this cool climate wine as Rioja, but the quality is high. Mocha and chocolate meld with sweet fruit and Bordeaux-like pyrazines to give a long and savoury wine.Drinking Window 2017 - 2023."
- Item #: i_381250Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 93 PointsPRACTICING ORGANIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "This dark, concentrated number is new from the García family, known for the wines of San Román and Mauro. Like most reds from this clan, this is loaded with blackberry and toasty oak aromas. A massive, raw palate shows abrasive tannins. Oak-forward flavors of blackberry, cassis and coconut finish woody and powerful. Drink from 2018–2028. "
Mariano García and his two sons Alberto and Eduardo García Montaña form a winning team. After 30 years (1968-1998) as winemaker at Vega Sicilia, Mariano brings his longtime experience as well as his particular wisdom in terms of wine aging.
Garmón —a name which joins the family’s García and Montaña surnames.
- Item #: i_378221Bottle Size: 1.5LSTEPHEN TANZER 94 POINTS - "90% tempranillo and 10% cabernet sauvignon; aged for two years in new French oak): Inky ruby. A complex, highly aromatic bouquet evokes ripe dark berries, cola, mocha and incense, along with subtle notes of vanilla and licorice. Juicy and broad on the palate, offering energetic black raspberry and bitter cherry flavors accented by candied violet and allspice nuances. A zesty mineral element adds lift and cut to the strikingly long, sappy finish, which shows just a whisper of tannins"
- Item #: i_378455Bottle Size: EACHWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2009 Pago de Carrovejas El Anajon de la Cuesta de las Liebres (to give it its full name), is Tinto Fino blended with 6% Cabernet Sauvignon and 1% Merlot and raised for 12 months in French oak, has a much better, more refined bouquet with blackberry and raspberry fruit, a suggestion of wild heather and cedar. The palate is full-bodied with good backbone and structure, while the crisp acidity keeps the graphite-tinged finish agile and focused. This is very impressive. Drink now-2017."
STEPHEN TANZER 93 POINTS - "Glass-staining ruby. Explosive, smoke- and spice-accented dark berry compote and floral scents are complicated by notes of spicecake and vanilla. Sweet and expansive on the palate, offering intense black raspberry and cherry-cola flavors and a refreshing touch of blood orange. Rich but energetic, with superb finishing clarity, slow-building tannins and lingering sweetness".
Founded in 1988 in Penafiel, Pago de Carraovejas was founded by Jose Maria Ruiz. The former restaurateur released his inaugural vintage in 1993 (the 1991) and they have not looked back since. The wines comes from a single 140 hectare vineyard planted with 75% Tinto Fino and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon and the wines are raised in a mixture of American and French oak, a judicious one-third renewed each year. These wines have a lot to offer: well-crafted and full of personality, the judicious use of Bordeaux varieties adds a little je ne sais quoi to the blend. These are well worth seeking out.
- Item #: i_378999Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2010 Reserva, Tempranillo (97%), Cabernet Sauvignon (2%) and Merlot (1%), aged for one year in barrel. It is a sleek wine displaying a combination of fruit, flowers, spices and hints of bouquet starting to develop in bottle, with earthy tones and mineral sensations. The palate is smooth and clean, with polished, fine-grained tannins and good balance. I don-t usually see a big difference in quality between Crianza and Reserva. Drink now-2019."
- Item #: i_383774Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The Crianza and Reserva have been merged into a single 2015 Pago de Carraovejas, a case study of success in Spain showcasing the ripe and powerful style of Ribera del Duero with generous oak and concentration. It's a heady Tempranillo (complemented by some 6% Cabernet Sauvignon and 4% Merlot) with 15% alcohol and moderate acidity. A whopping 700,000 bottles and 14,000 magnums produced. The quality is impressive for the volume. A crowd-pleaser (in its style)."
- Item #: i_378647Bottle Size: 750mlPrepared with Tempranillo grapes (100%), this wine has a very bright, intense maraschino cherry colour that fades to a Cardinal red rim.
It has a very marked aroma with a good balance of fruit and wood, where tones of vanilla intermingle with well-ripened fruit, black berries and wild fruits. There are also noticeable hints of leather and liquorice, resulting from the mingling of the French oak and the aromas inherent in this variety of grape.
In the mouth, the wine has a smooth texture but fills the palate with balanced flavours, including fine tannins, which help extend the life of the wine. The finish and aftertaste are both long and elegant.
- Item #: i_378544Bottle Size: 750MLPago de los Capellanes is one of our favorite Spanish wines and we have proudly carried it at Hi-Time for many years. Nestled deep in the heart of the Ribera del Duero region, "Pago's" vineyards only grow Tinto Fino or Tempranillo grapes, the variety indigenous to the region. "Pago de los Capellanes" (Land of the Chaplains) is named in honor of the clergy who were stewards of the property for centuries. This wine continues to impress, delivering outstanding quality and value. Tempranillo grapes are hand-harvested and aged in new French oak barrels (1 to 3 years) until they reach optimal maturity for blending.
- Item #: i_381499Bottle Size: 750mlThe Bodegas Perez Pascuas winery is an exciting new discovery for us at Hi-Time. When we tasted the wines crafted by three brothers using estate grown Tempranillo grapes in Ribera del Duero, we were blown away! Their vineyard is located near the iconic Vega Sicilia winery and boasts head-trained vines grown at high altitude in soils composed of chalk and clay. The wines are aged in French oak barrels, lending additional complexity and texture. What sets these wines apart is their beautiful balance and finesse combined with purity of fruit. The “El Pedrosal” bottling over-delivers for the price point with delicious, fresh fruit while “La Navilla” is a single vineyard wine, which displays uncommon grace. When we tasted these wines, we knew we had to bring them into the store to share with you. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_380472Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALONI 92 POINTS - "Vibrant ruby. Musky, deeply pitched cherry and blackcurrant aromas are complemented by licorice, dried flowers and smoked meat. Sweet, expansive and focused on the palate, offering dried cherry and fruitcake flavors and an exotic suggestion of chewing tobacco. Vanilla and mocha qualities come forward on a long, smoky finish that features velvety tannins and lingering game and cherry pit qualities. Decidedly old school in style and structured to age."
- Item #: i_380469Bottle Size: 750MLProducing this single varietal wine was somewhat controversial at the time. Other producers such as Vega Sicilia made their wines with Bordeaux varietals as Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec. Fernandez soon gained international acclaim for his wines and other winemakers followed his lead and began making wine in the area. Pesquera’s style has remained the same over the years and continues to be a rich, powerful and fragrant wine with juicy dark fruit flavors. This wine pairs well with hearty dishes and is delicious to drink on its own.
As always, Pesquera has delivered a seamless, full-bodied delicious wine. Enjoy this iconic Spanish wine at a reduced price while you can.
Pesquera's bright red color reveals its youth and ample concentration. On the nose, the wine's intense bouquet reveals dark fruit framed by toasted oak aromas. Flavors of black cherry and plum are augmented by notions of spices and vanilla. On the palate, the smooth entry becomes lush with abundant ripe fruit and silky tannins. The presence of well-integrated oak complements the wine and leads to a refined, long-lasting finish.
- Item #: i_380887Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "A chunky and pretty young wine with blueberries and blackberries and chocolate. Chewy tannins that are polished and fresh. Full-bodied. Round and sexy. Shows lots of potential."
- Item #: i_383121Bottle Size: 750mlCommitted to organic farming and biodynamic agricultural principles, the level of his expertise is unquestioned. The Sastres inherited from their father and grandfather prime vineyard sites in the Burgos area of Ribera del Duero. Jesús has always respected the site and the history of the vineyards his family has farmed.
This is the family wine, made only in the finest years. Hand harvested by only the family members. 2,000 bottles produced from some of the oldest parcels of Tempranillo in Pago de Santa Cruz, blended with cabernet sauvignon, merlot and petit verdot. One of spain's rarest treasures.
Vintage: An exceptional, well-balanced vintage, similar to the 2010, with a perfect balance between alcohol, acidity and high-quality tannins. This harvest gave tremendous potential for aged wines.
Tasting Note: Full-bodied, ripe,concentrated and intense, a luxurious Ribera del Duero in all senses. Tastes of sily dark fruit, exotic black truffles and grilled lamb.
- Item #: i_381111Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a super balanced Ribera del Duero that shows blueberries, mulberries, bilberries, sage and eucalyptus. Subtly shaped, this trades in fresh berries, edgy tannins and forthright acidity. Bright on the medium-chewy finish. "
A star in Ribera del Duero, Celeste is an opulent wine brimming with fruit, body and colour: as unique as the night sky in the Ribera del Duero. Dark cherry red with intense garnet highlights. Aromas of black fruit (wild blackberries, blueberries) and delicate toasted notes (coffee) with nicely oak-aged undertones (toasted oak). Serious and warm with very fine, juicy, velvety tannins.
Intense blackberry color. Spicy and intense nose, with liquorice and black pepper hints on a base of well ripened fruits (blackberry and cherry). On the palate, very fruity at first with ripened tannins, also persistant and full bodied.
- Item #: i_380541Bottle Size: 750MLComplex, intense, and very fine, with a high concentration of black fruit, very well integrated with notes from its ageing. A great range of spices open out, giving us notes of sweet spices, coffee, chocolate, tobacco, good cedar wood and nice toasted notes. A light balsamic background with a slightly floral touch. This classic red wine is elegant and serious, tasty and fleshy, with a very good balance between the fruit and the wood. On the palate it is smooth and silky. Perfect acidity and powerful, ripe tannins. A long finish, leaving fruity and balsamic sensations.
- Item #: i_377427Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "2008 was a challenging vintage in Ribera del Duero, a vintage marked by a severe frost on September 24th. The vineyards of Vega Sicilia were saved by some anti-frost burners that really made the difference. Even though, there are only some 70,000 bottles of 2008 Único, a wine that will be released around March 2016 after the 2007, and before they sell 2005 and 2006. It's a fresher, more mineral version of Vega, and very much Vega in character. It has a certain aroma that I cannot define that I also found in the 2011 Valbuena. The palate is surprisingly polished; the wine is quite accessible from now on, with fine tannins and a subtle thread of acidity going through the core. This is a lighter version of Único, but one style I like very much; it's a wine that should drink well throughout its life. A triumph for the vintage conditions."
- Item #: i_383599Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2014 Valbuena, mostly Tempranillo with some 5% Merlot fermented by plot, making a selection from their 210 hectares of vineyards, and then matured in a combination of barriques and larger 20,000-liter oak vats. 2014 is a spectacular vintage of Valbuena, and it reminds me of the 2010, perhaps a tad more elegant and less powerful. It's expressive and has floral notes on the nose along with wild berries, herbs and a spicy and smoky touch that's nicely integrated. It has good complexity and nuance, and the palate is medium to full-bodied and intense, with pungent flavors and great length and persistence. Truly spectacular! 184,684 bottles, 5,578 magnums and some large formats produced. It was bottled in June 2016."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "The ripeness is impressive here. A lot of work was done in the vineyard in 2014 to get yields right. It delivers darker fruit aromas and flavors, black cherries and plums, dark chocolate and licorice. The palate is deeply fleshy with rich blueberries, cassis and dark roasting herbs. Very deep-set, powerful black fruit with a deeper tannin texture. The power and freshness here is extraordinary. Deeply layered. Superb."
- Item #: i_376336Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 96JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Very impressive red plums and the Alion has a very approachable feel to it, supple and even. The nose delivers some savory, slightly tarry and earthy character with a classic, direct and easy-to-understand feel. Some dried flowers, too. The palate has medium body and delivers fleshy, round red cherries, gently savory, spicy elements and fine, long and detailed tannins. A great Alion, full of flavor, very fresh. Drink across the next 15 years."