Spain located on the Iberian Peninsula, has over 2.9 million acres planted—making it the most widely planted wine producing nation but it is the third largest producer of wine in the world, the largest being France followed by Italy. This is due, in part, to the very low yields and wide spacing of the old vines planted on the dry, infertile soil found in many Spanish wine regions. The country has an abundance of native grape varieties, with over 400 varieties planted throughout Spain though 80 percent of the country's wine production is from only 20 grapes—including the reds Tempranillo, Garnacha, and Monastrell; the whites Albariño from Galicia, Palomino, Airen, and Macabeo; and the three cava grapes Parellada, Xarel·lo, and Macabeo. Major Spanish wine regions include the Rioja and Ribera del Duero which are known for their Tempranillo production; Valdepeñas, drunk by Unamuno and Hemingway, known for high quality tempranillo at low prices; Jerez, the home of the fortified wine Sherry; Rías Baixas in the northwest region of Galicia that is known for its white wines made from Albariño and Catalonia which includes the Cava and still wine producing regions of the Penedès as well the Priorat region. Spanish wine laws created the Denominación de Origen (DO) system in 1932 and were later revised in 1970. The system shares many similarities with the hierarchical Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system of France, Portugal's Denominação de Origem Controlada (DOC) and Italy's Denominazione di origine controllata (DOC) system.
- Item #: i_377064Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2018 release of Clio from Bodegas El Nido is here! We are huge fans of this winery and particular bottling, as our loyal readers may recall, and for good reason. Their track record is strong and they have done it once again-- this wine rocks!
The nose is filled with spicy red and blue fruits: savory peppered plums, raspberries and blueberries, earthy incense, kirsch liqueur and cola nut. Bright fruits with elements of earth and minerality.
The palate has a lovely mouthfeel/viscosity with the tastes reiterating the scents. Bright red and blue fruits with hints of spice and earth. The lush fruits are tempered and balanced by excellent structure: moderate tannins and acidity course throughout leading to an extended finish of blueberries, raspberries and cherries, bolstered by earthy elements. It’s hard to focus on one particular aspect of this wine as the parts are so synchronized to uplift the totality of the whole. It really is a choir of smells and tastes that blend and flow together so well. Harmony in the glass, for sure!
Balanced enough to enjoy solo, this will greatly elevate a number of foods to enjoy with it: rice, pasta, (noodles, spaghetti, macaroni), vegetables, mushroom, stewed meat, sausage, pork, roast meat, red and/or white meat with sauces, grilled meat, short or medium cheeses.
The 2018 Clio is a blend of 70% Monastrell and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon; the grapes for this wine are made from 30 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon vineyards and 79 acres of very old Monastrell, with a very low yield. The grapes are harvested with small baskets to prevent bruising. The bunches are brought to triage tables where the best ones are selected. It spends 24 months in French and American new oak barrels where it gets a very typical complexity.
And, of course, we must point out that this wine comes out of the Gil Famiy Estates portfolio; we carry many of their wines and, across-the-board, they express the glorious bounty that Spanish vintners have been and are currently creating. We must, therefore, also highlight the El Nido 2018 "El Nido" wine $119.98. For this wine they utilize 70% Cabernet Sauvignon and 30% Monastrell and it’s clearly the main thoroughbred in the Gil Family Estates stable of winners.
- Item #: i_381426Bottle Size: 750ml60% Monastrell, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Syrah
We have developed quite the Pavlovian relationship with wines from Juan Gil and Gil Family Estates over the years; before we even get a chance to taste these wines, we tend to salivate in anticipation of the great tasting experience ahead. Why is that? Simply put, their track record here in the store, with our valued clientele and staff, is excellent, as are their wines. From their entry-level bargains on the ramp to their more advanced selections in the cellar, we have found their portfolio to be consistent in both how good the wines are to drink and the quality-to-price ratio: lots of bang for the buck with these bottlings! The 2017 "Blue Label" fits right in with our expectations and we are, once again, overjoyed to share how great this juice is!
A blend of 60% Monastrell (also known as Mourvedre), 30% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Syrah, the nose is filled with scents of fresh berries, cedar, incense, wet clay and notes of hillside garrique. Upon tasting, the sweet fruits make their presence known, displaying flavors of mixed strawberries, cherries and boysenberries that are grounded with big firm tannins and grippy acidity. A big, beautiful wine with tons of fruit balanced by savory notes and magnificent structure. A final nosing (so sexy!) brings further hints of pie crust, graham cracker and rose garden. We love it! Enjoy with ribs, lamb, burgers, tapas, hard cheese, meat pizza, mushroom dishes, sausages (great red for summer grilling!
- Item #: i_373831Bottle Size: 750mlA winner from year to year, this is one of the most popular value wines in the world!
"Deep purple/black color. Explosive aromas of ripe currant, red berries and smoked notes. Rich, powerful and voluminous on the attack, a huge mouthful of crème-de-cassis concentration, silken and juicy in the mid-palate with excellent length and persistence, and a long spicy well-balanced finish including toasted notes provided by the French wood." Winemaker notes
- Item #: i_382509Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91James Suckling: 90WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Produced for the US market, this is the first vintage of the 2018 Juan Gil Red Blend. It is 45% Monastrell, 45% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Syrah from a year more in line with 2016, more continental and with more rain, despite which, the wine is still 15% alcohol. The different grapes fermented and matured separately for 12 months. It's ripe and has notes of chocolate and spices, keeping some herbal undertones and with the tasty and pungent notes from the Cabernet. 54,000 bottles produced. This wine is sold exclusively in the US. It was bottled in June 2020."
JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "This juicy and vibrant, summer-berry and wild-cherry nose leads to a very plush and deep-set palate with a sleek, juicy and attractive feel. So vibrant. Drink now."
45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Monastrell, 10% Syrah.
- Item #: i_382616Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the region of Jumilla, which has been experiencing ever-growing popularity, comes this fresh and supple rosado. The monster of a grape - Monastrell - is blended with Syrah to make a wine with enticing scents of strawberries and cream along with flavors of crushed berries. Round and rich, with a beautiful berry-infused finish.