Spain located on the Iberian Peninsula, has over 2.9 million acres planted—making it the most widely planted wine producing nation but it is the third largest producer of wine in the world, the largest being France followed by Italy. This is due, in part, to the very low yields and wide spacing of the old vines planted on the dry, infertile soil found in many Spanish wine regions. The country has an abundance of native grape varieties, with over 400 varieties planted throughout Spain though 80 percent of the country's wine production is from only 20 grapes—including the reds Tempranillo, Garnacha, and Monastrell; the whites Albariño from Galicia, Palomino, Airen, and Macabeo; and the three cava grapes Parellada, Xarel·lo, and Macabeo. Major Spanish wine regions include the Rioja and Ribera del Duero which are known for their Tempranillo production; Valdepeñas, drunk by Unamuno and Hemingway, known for high quality tempranillo at low prices; Jerez, the home of the fortified wine Sherry; Rías Baixas in the northwest region of Galicia that is known for its white wines made from Albariño and Catalonia which includes the Cava and still wine producing regions of the Penedès as well the Priorat region. Spanish wine laws created the Denominación de Origen (DO) system in 1932 and were later revised in 1970. The system shares many similarities with the hierarchical Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system of France, Portugal's Denominação de Origem Controlada (DOC) and Italy's Denominazione di origine controllata (DOC) system.
- Item #: i_379419Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY GROWN GRAPES
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2015 La Garnacha de la Madre is pure Garnacha Tintorera (or Alicante Bouschet) fermented with indigenous yeast in stainless steel and aged in concrete vats for one year before it was bottled. This is only the second vintage of this very personal wine, which has a completely different nose from the rest of the wines from the winery, but it's also different from the majority of other Garnacha Tintorera wines. It has aromas of cured meat, flowers, a touch of tree bark that made me think of a Monastrell and a touch of flint stone. The absence of oak makes the wine very pure. Even the color is different, not as dark as others, with a palate marked by the limestone, fine-grained and polished tannins. This is truly surprising, wild elegance. "
With the first release of their Garnacha de la Madre the team at Mas Que Vinos came out with guns blazing. They’ve long produced some of the very best value wines to be found anywhere in the world, but here they showcase one of their very special vineyard parcels. Garnacha Tintorrera, also known as Alicante Bouchet, is planted throughout the Iberian Peninsula (though it is rare), but it shines particularly bright in the climate just south of Madrid. The Garnacha Tintorrera planted here seems to be particularly unique, differing quite a bit from other plantings around the country. Here the warm days and very cool nights, with daily temperature swings up to 60 degrees Fahrenheit, allow the grapes to fully and slowly ripen all while maintaining tons of refreshing acidity.
The La Madre Vineyard sits in a small valley, protected from the winds but, because it’s lower than the surrounding area, it’s much cooler and prone to frost. This “Mother” vineyard is the source of all of the new plantings that they’ve put in over the course of the past few decades. And, with a nod to local tradition, the wine is aged in concrete and 90-year-old clay amphora, as opposed to oak barrels. This helps maintain the bright, floral/spice notes in the wine, which would be lost if the wine were in barrel.
- Item #: i_383427Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 91WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "Familiar Rioja aromas of creamy oak, wood smoke, leather and earthy berry fruits are encouraging and lead to a solid palate with forgiving intensity. Blackberry, cassis and vanilla aromas are lasting on a finish that's reaching maturity."
- Item #: i_383020Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96James Suckling: 99JAMES SUCKLING'S #3 WINE OF THE YEAR!
JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "The most structured Prado Enea ever. A reduced center palate that is so compact with dark fruit, dark mushrooms and cedary spice. Full body. Wonderfully polished tannins and a long, long finish. Electric acidity. Muscular and well toned. The is a new classic that reminds me of great Spanish wines from the 1940s and 1950s. Better after 2021, but already so impressive."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The most classical of the wines from Muga, the 2011 Prado Enea Gran Reserva comes from a warm year that here was cooler than 2012, when they did not produce it. There won't be a 2013 either. So after this 2011, the following vintage will be 2014 but with fewer bottles and then 2015 and 2016. The wine has a developed nose with some tertiary notes, combined with some notes of ripe black fruit and sweet spices. It fees like an open, expressive and hedonistic year for Prado Enea. The palate reveals polished tannins and some balsamic and developed flavors, truffle, forest floor and hints of cigar ash and incense. Stylistically, this could be close to the 2006, which was also surprisingly fresh for the average ripeness found in Rioja in general."
- Item #: i_383416Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94James Suckling: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Selección Especial checks in as 70% Tempranillo and the balance Garnacha, Mazuelo, and Graciano that's an old vine and terroir selection. Aged 6 months in new oak followed by 24 months in 90% French oak and 10% American oak, it has a beautiful bouquet of blueberries, black raspberries, crushed violets, incense, and cedar. This gives way to a full-bodied, rich, powerful wine that has an incredible sense of elegance and finesse on the palate. It's a brilliant Rioja that can be drunk today or cellared for 10-15 years or more."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "The balance and purity to this wine is really impressive with blackberries, black truffles and dark fruit. Wet earth. Full body. Tight and compact. Structured, long and powerful. Superb length. Compressed and polished texture. Drink in 2022."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The very perfumed, expressive and floral 2015 Selección Especial is a lot fresher than the stereotype of the vintage I had before I tasted 2015 widely. It's a year that has turned out fresher than what the weather during the growing season pointed at. It was a dry and warm year, but the wines have very good freshness, which in this case feels exceptional. My first surprise was how aromatic and open the wine is for such a young age, with aromas of lavender and other Mediterranean herbs jumping from the glass. I expected that from the 2016s, but I thought the 2015 was going to be more closed and reticent. The palate is medium to full-bodied with fine-grained tannins, balanced, fresh and very clean. This combines energy and elegance with classical Rioja character."
- Item #: i_380276Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "This is an extremely powerful, confident wine. So young and so complex. Immaculate black cherries, plums and blackberries and deeply integrated, spicy oak that's super fresh. The power and build is staggering. It's so rich and so balanced with seamless plum-flavored tannins. Perfect!"
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "In the end, they also showed me the 2015 Torre Muga, even though the wine had only been in bottle for three months. There were no substantial changes in the way this was made—in provenance of the grape, the fermentation or élevage—even though they fine-tune the use of the oak in every vintage. I don't think I've ever tasted such a young and fruit-driven Torre Muga, and even though it felt a little dizzy from the recent bottling, it had great purity and such a structure and build that it is going to need some time in bottle. But this looks like a better vintage than the 2014."
- Item #: i_379330Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95PRACTICING ORGANIC FARMING
Tempranillo and Garnacha, with Mazuelo and Graciano.
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "This is really tight and powerful with gorgeous tannins and solid fruit. Full body. Tight and composed. Wet earth, smoked meat and hints of black truffles. Very long and powerful. Wonderful length. Real Rioja. One of the top best-value, high-quality reds in Spain. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_381441Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A beautiful rosé as always with a pink salmon color. It opens with rose petals, pink guava, grapefruit, mandarins and freshly squeezed nectarines. Medium-bodied and very salty on the palate. Lithe and oily texture, but a sharp acid backbone. Macabeo, grenache and tempranillo. Drink now."
- Item #: i_377301Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94ORGANICALLY FARMED
PENIN GUIDE TO SPANISH WINES 96 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2012 Quincha Corral is a serious, classic old-vine Bobal from head-pruned vineyard planted in 1945 at 800 meters on sand and chalk soils. This is one of the single vineyard appellation wines, DOP El Terrerazo that was fermented with indigenous yeasts in oak vats and matured for 19 months in French oak barrels. The nose offers notes of plums, some creaminess and some spices on top of well-integrated oak aromas. There is an acute note of licorice intermixed with fennel, aniseed, thyme and rosemary as well. The medium to full-bodied palate has fine tannins and good acidity. "
- Item #: i_377316Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91ORGANICALLY FARMED
72% Bobal , 17% Garnacha, 11% Syrah
Deep in color with an intriguing nose of black fruits, violets, cedar and black pepper. The fleshy dark fruit flavors of blackberry and black currant are lifted by brink mineral acidity (this is where those limestone soils come through) and fine tannins. Leaves you on a nice sweet and spicy finish, a perfect pair with anything cooked over fire & smoke.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "...head-pruned and dry-farmed vines. Each plot and variety fermented separately with indigenous yeasts in stainless steel and/or oak vats, and the élevage was in a mixture of oak vats and French barrique and lasted ten months. It felt very harmonious, subtle and elegant. I think there has been a change in the wine since they started removing the French grapes and using larger oak containers. It respects the Mediterranean character of the grapes and the place."
- Item #: i_377313Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
65% Merseguera, 24% Viognier, & 11% Malvasia
WINERY NOTES - "The Viognier is immediately apparent on the nose with apricot, tropical fruit and honey while underlying notes of white peach, scented flowers and citrus hints creep in from the Merseguera. The tightwire balance between the fleshy Viognier/Malvasia and taut Merseguera continue with a fresh, fruity and floral attack and an unctuous mid palate."
- Item #: i_381884Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY GROWN GRAPES
From the Finca Las Suertes vineyard, first planted in 1885 is dry-farmed, with ungrafted vines due to the sandy soils. Fermented in large, seasoned French oak barrels, then aged 12 months on the fine lees in large barrels, with battonage for a creamy mouthfeel.
DECANTER - 92 POINTS
"Aromas of ripe orange and pear take on dusty mineral, vanilla and floral accents in the glass. Silky and broad on the palate, offering densely packed yet energetic citrus and orchard fruit flavors that firm up slowly on the back half. Emphatically fruity and seamless in texture, delivering excellent clarity, strong finishing thrust and lingering floral and mineral flourishes."
- Item #: i_378458Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "This red is dense and polished. Muted flavors of plum, fig pudding, loamy earth and toast mingle over solid tannins and balsamic acidity. Reserved but balanced and harmonious. Drink now through 2028."
- Item #: i_382616Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the region of Jumilla, which has been experiencing ever-growing popularity, comes this fresh and supple rosado. The monster of a grape - Monastrell - is blended with Syrah to make a wine with enticing scents of strawberries and cream along with flavors of crushed berries. Round and rich, with a beautiful berry-infused finish.
- Item #: i_382163Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "This red is fresh and lively, with a core of black cherry and plum accented by licorice, tobacco and mineral notes. The tannins are light but firm, the balsamic acidity bright, focusing the polished texture through the smoky finish."
- Item #: i_385002Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Very fragrant, with the French oak contributing vanilla and sweet spice, and the primary aromas reminiscent of macerated plum, boysenberry and flowers, along with a creamy-savory note from fermentation.
- Item #: i_377350Bottle Size: 750mlThe nose is a fantastic blend of tropical fruits and minerality; think of green, honey dew and casaba melons being rinsed off in the waters below Bridalveil Falls (or some other granitic water source): clean, refreshing, lovely. The palate starts off rich and oily with just a touch of sweetness that is moderated by cleansing acidity. Beautiful spring fruits abound: sweet quince, citrus notes (almost like lemon icing) and plenty of orchard fruits enmesh on the palate with a touch of earthiness and lemon grass on the finish. The final note, however, brings the palate back to the fresh stream water running over granite.
- Item #: i_378221Bottle Size: 1.5LSTEPHEN TANZER 94 POINTS - "90% tempranillo and 10% cabernet sauvignon; aged for two years in new French oak): Inky ruby. A complex, highly aromatic bouquet evokes ripe dark berries, cola, mocha and incense, along with subtle notes of vanilla and licorice. Juicy and broad on the palate, offering energetic black raspberry and bitter cherry flavors accented by candied violet and allspice nuances. A zesty mineral element adds lift and cut to the strikingly long, sappy finish, which shows just a whisper of tannins"
- Item #: i_378455Bottle Size: EACHWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2009 Pago de Carrovejas El Anajon de la Cuesta de las Liebres (to give it its full name), is Tinto Fino blended with 6% Cabernet Sauvignon and 1% Merlot and raised for 12 months in French oak, has a much better, more refined bouquet with blackberry and raspberry fruit, a suggestion of wild heather and cedar. The palate is full-bodied with good backbone and structure, while the crisp acidity keeps the graphite-tinged finish agile and focused. This is very impressive. Drink now-2017."
STEPHEN TANZER 93 POINTS - "Glass-staining ruby. Explosive, smoke- and spice-accented dark berry compote and floral scents are complicated by notes of spicecake and vanilla. Sweet and expansive on the palate, offering intense black raspberry and cherry-cola flavors and a refreshing touch of blood orange. Rich but energetic, with superb finishing clarity, slow-building tannins and lingering sweetness".
Founded in 1988 in Penafiel, Pago de Carraovejas was founded by Jose Maria Ruiz. The former restaurateur released his inaugural vintage in 1993 (the 1991) and they have not looked back since. The wines comes from a single 140 hectare vineyard planted with 75% Tinto Fino and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon and the wines are raised in a mixture of American and French oak, a judicious one-third renewed each year. These wines have a lot to offer: well-crafted and full of personality, the judicious use of Bordeaux varieties adds a little je ne sais quoi to the blend. These are well worth seeking out.
- Item #: i_378647Bottle Size: 750mlPrepared with Tempranillo grapes (100%), this wine has a very bright, intense maraschino cherry colour that fades to a Cardinal red rim.
It has a very marked aroma with a good balance of fruit and wood, where tones of vanilla intermingle with well-ripened fruit, black berries and wild fruits. There are also noticeable hints of leather and liquorice, resulting from the mingling of the French oak and the aromas inherent in this variety of grape.
In the mouth, the wine has a smooth texture but fills the palate with balanced flavours, including fine tannins, which help extend the life of the wine. The finish and aftertaste are both long and elegant.
- Item #: i_378544Bottle Size: 750MLPago de los Capellanes is one of our favorite Spanish wines and we have proudly carried it at Hi-Time for many years. Nestled deep in the heart of the Ribera del Duero region, "Pago's" vineyards only grow Tinto Fino or Tempranillo grapes, the variety indigenous to the region. "Pago de los Capellanes" (Land of the Chaplains) is named in honor of the clergy who were stewards of the property for centuries. This wine continues to impress, delivering outstanding quality and value. Tempranillo grapes are hand-harvested and aged in new French oak barrels (1 to 3 years) until they reach optimal maturity for blending.
- Item #: i_378451Bottle Size: 750ml100% Tempranillo
"Joven" is the least oak-influenced wine for a given winery; this one was aged in 300L French oak for only 5 months.
Winery Notes - "Clean and brilliant cherry color, with an intense floral and red forest fruit aromas, together with light spicy hints. In the mouth it is full-bodied, fresh, persistent and velvety."
- Item #: i_381049Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The single-vineyard 2017 Finca Dofí comes from ten hectares that were planted 20 years ago in the village of Gratallops. It's mostly Garnacha with 8% Cariñena and 1% white grapes that fermented after being destemmed and lightly crushed in oak vats with indigenous yeasts. It matured in large oak barrels (bocoyes and foudres) for 16 months. There is no trace of oak in the wines, and there are no edges; they all feel sleek and elegant. This Dofí expresses the Mediterranean vintage from this vineyard at 300 to 320 meters in altitude, where the slate has a lot of iron, which turns the soils red and makes round and velvety wines, with flavors of red cherries, cherry pit, nectarines and even blood orange. The warm soils are compensated by mostly northern exposures. The palate has volume and is juicy, sensual and velvety, with some fine-grained tannins that currently call for food. It makes for a very gastronomical red. 29,700 bottles produced. It was bottled in April 2019. In 2018, there will be a separate bottling from one hectare of pure north-exposition grapes from Dofí, a new wine called La Baixada."