Sherry is a fortified wine made from white grapes that are grown near the town of Jerez de la Frontera in Andalusia, Spain. Sherry is produced in a variety of styles made primarily from the Palomino grape, ranging from light versions similar to white table wines, such as Manzanilla and Fino, to darker and heavier versions that have been allowed to oxidize as they age in barrel, such as Amontillado and Oloroso. Sweet dessert wines are also made from Pedro Ximenez or Moscatel grapes, and are sometimes blended with Palomino-based Sherries. Madeira is a fortified Portuguese wine made in the Madeira Islands.
Madeira is produced in a variety of styles ranging from dry wines which can be consumed on their own as an aperitif, to sweet wines more usually consumed with dessert. The islands of Madeira have a long winemaking history, dating back to the Age of Exploration when Madeira was a standard port of call for ships heading to the New World or East Indies. To prevent the wine from spoiling, neutral grape spirits were added. On the long sea voyages, the wines would be exposed to excessive heat and movement which transformed the flavor of the wine. This was discovered by the wine producers of Madeira when an unsold shipment of wine returned to the islands after a round trip. Today, Madeira is noted for its unique winemaking process which involves heating the wine up to temperatures as high as 60 °C (140 °F) for an extended period of time and deliberately exposing the wine to some levels of oxidation. Because of this unique process, Madeira is a very robust wine that can be quite long lived even after being opened.
- Item #: i_375528Bottle Size: 500MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - " Very sweet, along with a burnt quality to the molasses, caramel and walnut flavors, this is balanced and powerful, ending with a long aftertaste of burnt caramel. Fine harmony and intensity. Drink now."
- Item #: i_305680Bottle Size: 750MLThis Bual is a medium rich Madeira, quite dark in color and much appreciated as an accompaniment to desserts. Five years in oak casks have given this distinctive Madeira great concentration and flavor and a powerful albeit mellowed bouquet.
- Item #: i_305700Bottle Size: 750ML"Served slightly chilled, this is the perfect example of how this style of Madeira fits into place at even the most modern of dinner parties. Its innate nuttiness, combined with a lovely dried citrus fruit edge, makes it the perfect foil to a plate of salted almonds, freshly cut spicy chorizo or picquillo peppers. It leaves the palate feeling crisp, clean and very refreshed". S JONES WINE MAGAZINE
- Item #: i_305690Bottle Size: 750ML
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
"The non-vintage Rainwater Medium Dry has an uncomplicated marmalade and wax resin nose. The palate is light and smooth, with the toffee component rounding out the finish. It is not as complex as Barbeito’s Rainwater, but should offer pleasure if slightly chilled and served as an aperitif."
- Item #: i_376831Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS-"The NV Fino en Rama Cruz Vieja is an unfiltered and un-fined Fino aged for an average of five to seven years under 'flor'. It has a textbook Fino nose of albariza soil, esparto grass, green olives and iodine, balanced and pungent. It has a medium-bodied palate with some volume and sweet green olive flavors. Only 1.260 bottles produced, which are for now sold in Spain and Japan."-12/14.
- Item #: i_336514Bottle Size: 750MLAromas of old wood and candied, roasted nuts lead to a very bright, energetic palate. Flavors of candied orange, toffee and buttered pecans are perfectly balanced by lively acidity. Though this is fortified wine and we have it listed as a "dessert wine," it really would be best served as either an aperitif, served slightly chilled, or paired with the right dish -- seared scallops work quite well, as would any richer, cream and/or cheese-based dish.
- Item #: i_377164Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS- The Madeira regulations say that 10-years old is the age of the youngest part of the blend. So this richly sweet Malmsey contains many older wines. These are shown in the old gold color, the proper citrus acidity and the dryness that goes with wood aging. At the end, though, the liquid honey flavors are dominant. Aged in oak casks for at least 10 years. A superb, full-bodied, wonderfully rich Madeira with a sweet, rich chocolaty flavor and a concentrated bouquet. Best enjoyed with desserts, or on its own after a meal. But when accompanied by cookies, fruit pies, even dark chocolate desserts it pairs wonderfully! Sweetest Madeiea (8%/10% Rs)
- Item #: i_352664Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - " The non-vintage Rainwater Medium Dry is aged for three years in oak casks and this was bottled in January 2011. It has a light, toffee-scented bouquet with hints of creme brulee. There are subtle notes of marzipan, raisin and fresh fig that are well-defined and become voluminous with aeration. The palate is sweet and spicy on the entry. It is understated at first with smoked walnut, nougat, cumin and Chinese 5-spice and it builds gently towards a harmonious, beautifully balanced finish with traces of red chillies, dried honey and walnuts. This is a wonderful Rainwater. "
- Item #: i_340950Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS-Luscious, medium-rich Madeira with great concentration of flavor and a complex bouquet. Best served with drier salty cheeses such as Aged Gouda or creamy desserts.Bual grape (medium-sweet) 5% to 6% rs. Excellent with cheeses & light desserts.
- Item #: i_378216Bottle Size: 750MLMahog any color, concentrated aromas of smoky, dried fruits, smooth and luscious, rich and complex and very long on the palate. This wine is a perfect companion to light desserts and cakes, but can also be served with cheeses, or simply as a sweet digest if. 18º Palomino grape and Pedro Ximénez Roasted and mild flavor.
- Item #: i_377988Bottle Size: 750MLWINEMAKER'S NOTES: - "If at first the wine seems sweet and scattered, just give it time. Soon the nose will knit together to show mocha and that lightly oxidized elegance that is Oloroso. After that there's a palate of coffee, caramel and brown sugar, and a tight, grabby palate that's like your tongue is attached to a magnet. Give this one plenty of air for best results."
- Item #: i_357552Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 93**Please note, this is a half sized bottleWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The pungent and marine NV La Bota de Manzanilla 55 is one new bottling of a Manzanilla from seven years of aging under flor in the Barrio Bajo in Sanlúcar, from the Sánchez Ayala winery with a really pungent aroma, the character of this particular winery, really high acetaldehyde, a sub-product of the biological aging, for me a textbook, pungent Manzanilla, that won't please the drinker of light, over filtered, industrial Manzanillas. The palate is medium-bodied with very intense, sharp flavors. This is ready to be enjoyed now, but it will develop a different personality in bottle, which you might like or not. 5,000 bottles were made."
La Bota de Manzanilla #55 has a really pungent aroma, the character of this particular winery, really high acetaldehyde, a sub-product of the biological aging, for me a textbook, pungent Manzanilla. The palate is medium-bodied with very intense, sharp flavors. This is ready to be enjoyed now, but it will develop a different personality in bottle. An unbeatable match on the dinner table, it excels with dishes from the Spanish seafood tradition: mackerel & potatoes, tuna stew, and boiled shellfish; international cuisine: toro sashimi, marinated herring, mussels; and especially with the spicy dishes of the Asian southeast. It has been bottled after only the slightest filtration in order to preserve its genuine character and its deep golden color with green hues as if straight from the butt. It is advisable to handle this Manzanilla with just as much care as any other great white wine. It should be served at about 9/11ºC in fairly large stemware, never in the cliché copita.
- Item #: i_330770Bottle Size: 750MLTio Pepe is one of those constants in the world of wine. As a nonvintage blend of bone-dry sherry, it doesn't change from year to year. It may not be the greatest fino sherry; it is simply the definitive wine of its type ? certainly the best-known dry sherry around the world. Tio Pepe is a pale-colored wine of great complexity and elegance, with hints of almond and very subtle citrus. Its distinguishing feature is a hint of salt water, as though it were meant to be sipped by the sea.
- Item #: i_340270Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The NV Amontillado Escuadrilla Solera Reserva which is over 15 years of age reveals some caramel notes, a touch of raisins, and an overall sweet sensation in the nose, complemented by the recurring hazelnut notes, while the palate is very dry, full-bodied, powerful and even has some tannin in the finish. Very persistent. Drink 2013-2018." (Wine Advocate #208 Aug 2013)
- Item #: i_340280Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS Walnut, date, cinnamon and dried blood orange notes are backed by a long finish that lets a singed balsa wood hint hang on. This has an echo of sweetness but remains rather dry in feel. Drink now. — James Molesworth.
This Sherry with a bright copper color has aromas and flavors of toasted almonds, salt, dates, and wood. It is beautifully balanced with a tangy acidity. Traditionally served before a meal with assorted salty appetizers and cheeses, this would also be wonderful dropped in a thick soup for added flavor.
- Item #: i_340410Bottle Size: 750MLSTEPHEN TANZER'S INTERNATIONAL WINE CELLAR 90 POINTS - " Pretty, deep reddish brown. Actually has mor of an oloroso nose, laced with raisins and figs. A rich, sweet, but complex cream, with a host of coffee, chocolate, orange, date, and fig flavors on the finish."
Emilio Lustau Tasting Notes Still made in the traditional way and at the original strength - one of the few examples left of what cream sherry should taste like. Deep amber in colour with the taste of sweet raisins, dates and figs. Rich sweet ripe fruit that lingers smoothly and seductively. A powerful balance of sweetness, richness and maturity. As a dessert wine or as a digéstif at the end of a meal. Serve at cool room temperature.
- Item #: i_340300Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 89 POINTS-"The NV East India Solera is a Cream, a category I have not really covered in this article, which is a blend of 12-year-old Don Nuno Oloroso (80%) and San Emilio PX which is also about 12 years old, blended and aged together for a further three years in a special, slightly warmer part of the winery which replicates perhaps the character of the wines that traveled by boat to India or elsewhere. Mahogany colored with a green-amber edge, it has the nose of an old wine with notes of antique shop, wax, shoe polish, noble wood, and a touch of spices, dates and prunes, all of it very well integrated. The palate is spicy and sweet (it has 130 grams of sugar) again very integrated. At this price level it represents good value and should go well with cheeses. Drink 2013-2020."
- Item #: i_340320Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 89 POINTS -"The NV Fino Jarana, aged in Jerez, has a beautiful, classical Fino nose of chalk, dry hay, dry straw (esparto) and nuts, while the palate is very dry, intense and pungent, long, with a pleasant bitter finish. It’s both intense and fine."
WINE SPECTATOR 89 POINTSVery pure, with bracing chalk, diced lemon peel and honeysuckle notes streaming through. The bone-dry, piercing finish reveals an echo of salted butter. Drink now. 2,000 cases made. — JM
- Item #: i_340340Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS-"The NV Manzanilla Papirusa from Sanlucar de Barrameda has an intense straw color with a smoky nose of roasted nuts. The palate is dry and light, with clean, pungent flavors, showing finesse and good length. Lustau is doing a good job to improve their Manzanillas, working with a good almacenista in Sanlucar."
- Item #: i_340290Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 87 POINTS-"The NV Dry Oloroso Don Nuno is produced from Palomino grapes, fortified to 20%, and aged in American oak botas. Its heady, aromatic nose still has some fruity aromas from the grapes, intermixed with the noble woods, which comes through as a textbook, young Oloroso nose. The medium-bodied palate reveals very clean flavors of roasted nuts and a touch of brandy. It’s a good entry-level Oloroso, with good quality to price ratio. Drink 2013-2015. 8/13"