Sake or saké is a Japanese rice wine made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran. Unlike wine, in which alcohol is produced by fermenting sugar that is naturally present in grapes, sake is produced by a brewing process more like that of beer, where the starch is converted into sugars, before being converted to alcohol. The brewing process for sake differs from the process for beer in that, for beer, the conversion from starch to sugar and from sugar to alcohol occurs in two discrete steps. Like other rice wines, when sake is brewed, these conversions occur simultaneously. Furthermore, the alcohol content differs between sake, wine, and beer. Wine generally contains 9%–16% ABV, while most beer contains 3%–9%, and undiluted sake contains 18%–20% (although this is often lowered to about 15% by diluting with water prior to bottling).
- Item #: i_471160Bottle Size: 1lBrewery: Kato Kichibee Shoten
Classification: Junmai Daiginjo
Rice Type: Yamadanishiki
One of the signature sakes from Born, aged at ice-cold temperature for 5 years, giving an elegant fragrance and beautiful mellowness.
Originally operating as a money exchange business and very deeply involved in the affairs of the community, in 1860 the village headman and founder became involved in sake brewing. For eleven generations, they have carried the Kichibee name, and in 1866 registered the name as a trademark. In Sanskrit, "Born" is translated roughly as purity/striking truth, and represents the brewery's strong belief in second changes and karmic rewards for hard work. In the beginning of the Showa era, the emperor used Born sake for Japan's ceremonies, festivals, and guests as Japan's representative brand.
Aged for a full five years at -5 degrees Celsius - the ultimate Junmai Daiginjo sake. It's massive aroma and flavorful personality are kept partially subdued with a sinfully silky mouthfeel. Dreams Come True as an interesting, clean cut finish, despite the richness.
Food pairings: Delicate Japanese Dishes, Dishes cooked with butter, cheese and olive oil.
- Item #: i_471145Bottle Size: 720mlThis is a free run drops junmai daiginjo made by the traditional kimoto method and designed to be served chilled. This carefully matured sake gives sweet-sour accents and boasts an exquisite, fruity aroma that envelops you in its gentle, creamy perfume. It has received great praise, thanks to its particularly well-balanced body and unparalleled richness. Only a limited number of bottles of this exclusive sake are produced each year. This is the only kimoto-based, junmai sake to have won the Gold Medal in the Japan Brewing Society's national competition. The name Houreki comes from the name of the era in which the Daishichi Sake Brewery was established (1752).
- Item #: i_114846Bottle Size: MAGMAGNUM FORMAT 1.8L. SHIPS AS TWO BOTTLES.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS The medium dry Asahi Shuzo NV Dassai 23 Junmai Daiginjo should be one of the lowest Seimaibuai (23%) sakes in Japan. It is pure and clean, with light but complex scents of white flowers, cherry, strawberry, banana and fresh rice. On the palate it is broad and smooth with a clean spicy finish. Rice: Yamada Nishiki. Alcohol: 16%.
Dassai 23 - Dassai blends the best ingredients with old-fashioned experience and cutting edge technology. Polished to an unprecedented 23% polish ratio (a process that takes 4 days), Dassai Junmai Daiginjo is super-refined. The nose shows off with lots of berry fruit and candy-like yeast aromas. Hints of pear, cotton candy, violet and the undeniable taste of yamadanishiki rice linger on the palate. The finish is lush and tropical, yet dry. Silky smooth on the palate, this is very special sake to be enjoyed on a special occasion.
Dassai 'Migaki Niwari Sanbu' JUNMAI DAIGINJO
Since 2011, all DASSAI products have been Kosher certified each year by "Chabad Tokyo Japan".
- Item #: i_365564Bottle Size: 1.75LAlcohol Content: 15.5%
Sake Dryness Scale: +2.0 (Dry)
Polishing ratio: 33%
Sophisticated and yet, very drinkable, perhaps too drinkable as the phantom finish leaves you wondering if you swallowed or not. The nose is a clever balance of honeysuckle and tuberose. The first sip reveals a a plush, creamy texture, and several layers of complex flavor. Fuji apple and tart pear dance on the palate.
- Item #: i_475896Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Ehime
Rice Variety: Matsuyamamitsui
Sake Meter Value: +3.0 (Neutral)
Polishing Ratio: 45%
This is a premium sake that is made to impress. It has a fragrance of melon and pear with an undertone of bamboo and a dash of white pepper. Now the taste…those fragrances blended with marshmallows. Don't let the marshmallow thing scare you. Though it is rich, it has a neutral aftertaste, like rainwater. Divine and thoroughly addictive.
- Item #: i_310043Bottle Size: 720mlWINE ADVOCATE - 92 POINTS "Clean and pure, the elegant NV Tatenokawa Juhachi Junmai Daiginjo has a complex bouquet of lychee, peach, mushroom, white rose/jasmine and toasty aromas. Off-dry, but spicy on the palate, it offers a very long, lingering fruity and mineral finish. Rice: Yamada Nishiki. Alcohol: 15.5%."
Rice: Yamada Nishiki
Polishing Rate: 18%
Amino Acid: 1
Flavors: Luscious pear dominates the midpalate in this light, delicate, complex Sake.
Extra care has been taken when producing Tatenokawa 18. First the team press this sake using a ’fune’ – a device that delicately & carefully presses simply under the weight of gravity – and then they select only the best 3rd of the pressed brew, the middle third known as nakadori. Nakadori is regarded as the most balanced and nuanced (the first third is a bit brash, the last a bit subdued).
This meticulous care and dedication results in a delicious, rare sake of superb complexity & character with delicate acidity and a silky structure.