Sake or saké is a Japanese rice wine made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran. Unlike wine, in which alcohol is produced by fermenting sugar that is naturally present in grapes, sake is produced by a brewing process more like that of beer, where the starch is converted into sugars, before being converted to alcohol. The brewing process for sake differs from the process for beer in that, for beer, the conversion from starch to sugar and from sugar to alcohol occurs in two discrete steps. Like other rice wines, when sake is brewed, these conversions occur simultaneously. Furthermore, the alcohol content differs between sake, wine, and beer. Wine generally contains 9%–16% ABV, while most beer contains 3%–9%, and undiluted sake contains 18%–20% (although this is often lowered to about 15% by diluting with water prior to bottling).
- Item #: i_365652Bottle Size: 720mlDry, Expansive on the palate, Balanced, & Elegant. The nose is filled with strawberry, cantaloupe, and watermelon. A clean and bold Daiginjo with a snap that says, "I am a sword." A perfect example of a sake that becomes you each and every sip with hints of minerals, ginger, and a dryness that speaks to all. There is an abundance of twangy flavors that makes this sake a favorite of those who like a clean sake with precise cut and a shimmering finish.
FOODS: Grilled salty fare, pizza with anchovies, peppered beef.
Rice Variety: Yamada Nishiki
Sake Meter Value: +3.0 (Dry/Neutral)
Polishing Ratio: 40%
- Item #: i_320072Bottle Size: 500mlFrom Niigata.
Rice variety: Omachi
Polishing rate: 59%
Sake Meter Value: 3.0
WOW! At first you are impressed by the beautiful bouquet of this Sake. Super-expressive, full, a little floral, some stone fruit, just a beautiful well-made sake. Then, you are impressed by the taste. Slight notes of pear and melon dance on the tongue. This is a nama (unpasteurized sake, so be sure to always keep this chilled). Because it is a namazake, you get that slight tingly sensation on your tongue. It is a truly memorable sake, and we see why people are going gaga in Japan over it!
- Item #: i_320071Bottle Size: 500mlTakachiyo 59 Chapter Five
Rice variety: Morinokumasan
Polishing ratio: 59%
Sake Meter Value: -1
Unpasteurized. (Please keep refrigerated!)
Dive in deep to this succulent sake, as it has incredible depth and beautiful balance. Notes of honeydew melon, banana bread, and grape captivate your senses. No. 5 is smooth, round, rich, and has a little background zesty kick to it. Look for flavors such as Devil’s Food Cake, fruit salad, coconut, and lots of lime and citrus. The strength in this brew rests in the richness of the flavors and the tingle of a unique “Margarita” play. The Morinokumasan rice varietal makes this version of Chapters drink rich and round with a solid balance for a crazy nama! It is indeed quite lively!
- Item #: i_310043Bottle Size: 720mlWINE ADVOCATE - 92 POINTS "Clean and pure, the elegant NV Tatenokawa Juhachi Junmai Daiginjo has a complex bouquet of lychee, peach, mushroom, white rose/jasmine and toasty aromas. Off-dry, but spicy on the palate, it offers a very long, lingering fruity and mineral finish. Rice: Yamada Nishiki. Alcohol: 15.5%."
Rice: Yamada Nishiki
Polishing Rate: 18%
Amino Acid: 1
Flavors: Luscious pear dominates the midpalate in this light, delicate, complex Sake.
Extra care has been taken when producing Tatenokawa 18. First the team press this sake using a ’fune’ – a device that delicately & carefully presses simply under the weight of gravity – and then they select only the best 3rd of the pressed brew, the middle third known as nakadori. Nakadori is regarded as the most balanced and nuanced (the first third is a bit brash, the last a bit subdued).
This meticulous care and dedication results in a delicious, rare sake of superb complexity & character with delicate acidity and a silky structure.
- Item #: i_102687Bottle Size: 720mlTedorigawa "Chrysanthemum Meadow" Yamahai Daiginjo Sake 720ml
EAn enticing imprint of chamomile and garden herbs at first sip, crossing over into a sake of surprising clarity. No other yamahai daiginjo sake brewed in Japan tastes this way: supple, racy and eminently drinkable over long periods of time.
Rice: Yamadanishiki, 500 Mangoku
Sake Meter Value: +5.0
Polishing ratio: 45%
Yeast:Yeast: House Yeast (Kanazawa Lineage)
Best with cold dishes that combine meat or fish with vegetables, such as Thai beef salad or Salade Nicoise.
Silver Award, Daiginjo B class, 2015 U.S. National Sake Appraisal
- Item #: i_320087Bottle Size: 720mlFrom Ishikawa prefecture
Rice Variety: Yamadanishiki
Sake Meter Value: +5 (Dry)
Polishing Ratio: 40%
With its luscious body and ample mouthfeel, this sake evokes memory of a Chardonnay, but with lovely green melon tones. The taste is clean with a lingering mellow finish.
- Item #: i_320083Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Ishikawa
Rice Variety: Yamadanishiki, 500 Mangoku
Alcohol Percentage: 15.8%
Polishing Ratio: 45%
Sake Meter Value: +6.0
Yeast: House Yeast (Kanazawa Lineage)
Tedorigawa Kinka is an impressive sake with tremendous impact. Flavors of sarsaparilla and fuji apple dominate the palate, with a long finish. Its bold flavors intertwine beautifully with sushi or Izakaya fare.
Serving Recommendations: Tedorigawa Kinka is the perfect companion for a session at the sushi bar. Its assured mouthfeel provides a perfect foil for the delicate flavors of fresh sashimi, while staunchly supporting nigiri choices like anago, mirugai and uni.
- Item #: i_365569Bottle Size: 720mlThis rare gem of a nama Daiginjo presents a rainbow array of floral and fruity flavors overlaying a refined core structure. Silky and soft on the palate, like the haiku poetry that inspired it, “Tsuyusanzen” is transparent, evocative and allluring. One of our staff members who tasted it said, "If the Fountain of Youth was real, this is what it would taste like!"
This is a namazake, so unpasteurized sake, so always keep this refrigerated!
- Item #: i_365565Bottle Size: 720mlThis is a connoisseur's Junmai sake, dry, sharp and smooth all in one. Its mild astringency, are classic of sakes made using the old yamahai method (in which it's yeast starter made in the laborious process).
This connoisseur’s junmai can be enjoyed cold but is best warmed or served at room temperature. Spice-friendly, it pairs well with savory dishes from Middle-Eastern cuisines.
Silver Award, Junmai category, 2016 U.S. National Sake Appraisal
Rice Variety: Yamadanishiki, 500 Mangoku
Alcohol Percentage: 15-16%
Polishing Ratio: 60%
Sake Meter Value: +4.0
Yeast: Association No.7
- Item #: i_360504Bottle Size: 720mlToko Bijin Junmai Ginjo Okarakuchi "Asian Beauty" Premium Sake. Extremely Dry.
Rice Polishing Ratio: 55%
This Junmai Ginjo steps outside of a normally luscious and full bodied style to produce a sake that starts with gorgeous tropical fruit of melon and banana and then shifts to a rippingly dry finish that evokes allspice and nutmeg. The fruit notes are coaxed out of Yamada Nishiki rice milled to 55% and careful brewing preserves those nuances while coaxing out the uniquely spicy finish. That balance of fruit and spice makes for a terrific pairing with richer foods like otoro sashimi, tonkotsu ramen or roast pork loin.
- Item #: i_365508Bottle Size: EachSAKE METER VALUE: -7.3 (semi-sweet)
TYKU Cucumber Sake is a premium Japanese Junmai Sake infused with the natural essence of cucumber and produced at Umenoyado Brewery in Nara, Japan. Please drink chilled, and refrigerate after opening. Gluten-Free.
- Item #: i_102834Bottle Size: 720mlSince 1620, Uno Shuzo has been making sake in Fukui Prefecture, which is known for its sake production. The Uno brewery focuses on using the premium Yamada Nishiki rice for its high water absorption rate and large starchy core, which gives this Junmai Daiginjo its floral, yet dry profile, with a more luscious texture.
Dryness SMV: +4
Recommended temperature Best served chilled. Also enjoyable at room temperature
Recommended dishes: sushi, steak, or other meat fare
Grade Junmai Daiginjo, 50% rice polish ratio (seimaibuai)
Rice: Yamada Nishiki
Yeast: K1401 (Kanazawa Kobo)
- Item #: i_347600Bottle Size: EACHPrefecture: Ishikawa
Sake Meter Value (Dryness scale): +3 (dry)
Polishing ratio: 55%
Rice Variety: Notohikari
Rich, full bodied, juicy, plump and a little musky look for velvety layers of nutty, earthy, and steamed rice flavors. Made by a female brewer, Miho Fujita, she does not follow traditional brewing methods. Miho enjoys drinking this room temperature, and believes her sake can stay open for longer than most – she personally likes to drink them after being open for 1-2 months!!
- Item #: i_320031Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleThis is an unfiltered, or cloudy sake that tastes like Strawberry Quik. Shake and chill before serving. Enjoy!!
- Item #: i_471144Bottle Size: 500mlYuzu Omoi Sake JUNMAI SAKE Infused With YUZU - is a delicious, natural infused Yuzu Lemon Sake.
SMV -70 (sweet)
ALCOHOL % 7
Pair w ith: fish; foie gras; beef; dessert meringue tarts and sorbet. Crisp Meyer lemon, clean grapefruit this is a wonderfully refreshing, well balanced fruit infused sake.