Sake or saké is a Japanese rice wine made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran. Unlike wine, in which alcohol is produced by fermenting sugar that is naturally present in grapes, sake is produced by a brewing process more like that of beer, where the starch is converted into sugars, before being converted to alcohol. The brewing process for sake differs from the process for beer in that, for beer, the conversion from starch to sugar and from sugar to alcohol occurs in two discrete steps. Like other rice wines, when sake is brewed, these conversions occur simultaneously. Furthermore, the alcohol content differs between sake, wine, and beer. Wine generally contains 9%–16% ABV, while most beer contains 3%–9%, and undiluted sake contains 18%–20% (although this is often lowered to about 15% by diluting with water prior to bottling).
- Item #: i_475896Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Ehime
Rice Variety: Matsuyamamitsui
Sake Meter Value: +3.0 (Neutral)
Polishing Ratio: 45%
This is a premium sake that is made to impress. It has a fragrance of melon and pear with an undertone of bamboo and a dash of white pepper. Now the taste…those fragrances blended with marshmallows. Don't let the marshmallow thing scare you. Though it is rich, it has a neutral aftertaste, like rainwater. Divine and thoroughly addictive.
- Item #: i_385012Bottle Size: 750mlNakano Umesho is made 100% with locally grown Nakano ume (Japanese apricot) in Wakayama, a region known for their ume.
It is a balance of sweetness and tartness with a higher ratio of citric acid, which is believed to help recover from fatigue. Enjoy this chilled or on the rocks.
- Item #: i_167109Bottle Size: 750mlThe Awamori Soju Nanpu is aged for three years and has a taste similar to a slightly peated Scotch. The flavor is quite savory, dry, a bit smokey, and intense. Quite delicious and memorable.
Awamori is the oldest Japanese spirits made out of 100% rice and black koji mold. It is made in Okinawa, the southernmost part of Japan in the land of longevity known as the "Blue Zone."
Awamori is made of Thai rice and black koji-mold. It is similar to "Shochu", but it has a strong aroma and unique character. No sugar and gluten contained and 100% natural.
Drink it as a straight shot, diluted with water and ice or a cocktail. Awamori could also be an excellent replacement of gin, vodka or tequila.
- Item #: i_345687Bottle Size: 187mlWe couldn't help but notice a recent Eater.com article which documented a Sake phenomenon in Japan. Drinkers there are embracing a concoction known as "Sake Jelly." This is catching on in the U.S. too, as we have encountered a growing demand from our customers for this once obscure form of Sake. This flavored, jellied sake is slightly fizzy and pleasantly sweet. This is not your typical Sake by any means, but rather a "gateway" to Sake...as it is fun, tasty, portable, and affordable.
The folks at Ozeki have made a remarkably enjoyable sake that comes in a 6.1 oz (180ml) can, slightly carbonated and sweet, with peach flavoring. As the can instructs, chill, and shake well 20 times before serving. Once shaken, drink immediately. This has been the hit of many a party, plus at only 5% alcohol, it leaves a light touch. This is a fun diversion on the road to Sake enlightenment. Kanpai!
- Item #: i_320017Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture:Shimane
Sake Meter Value: +3.0 (dry)
Polishing Rate: 55%
Variety of Rice: Yamada Nishiki
On the palate, notes of banana and honeydew with a clean, crisp acidity and a light-to-medium body. The lingering finish moves from juicy fruitiness, to green herbal notes making it a great food companion. It is named after the famous Chinese poet, Li Po, who was said to drink a bottle of sake and write a hundred poems.
- Item #: i_385011Bottle Size: 330A Soju-based sparkling drink. Delightful and delicious. Chu-Hi is a clean, crisp and refreshing beverage that can be enjoyed anywhere and anytime.
- Item #: i_320086Bottle Size: 720mlRARE IN THE U.S.!
This Japanese spirit made mostly from imo, or sweet potato. The aromas are floral with light nuances of watermelon rind. Fresh and delicious and hard to find - even in Japan!
Sweet potato shochu is usually blended with hot water in a 6:4 or 5:5 ratio. Gently pour shochu into a partially filled glass of hot water.
Is there a 'right way' to drink this Shochu?
Yes. But you can drink shochu straight, with mixers, or 'on the rocks'. It's your choice.
The traditional method however, is to drink shochu with 'o-yu' which simply means hot water.
We recommend pure, distilled water brought to the boil and then allowed to cool to 72°~73°C (around 162°F).
Pour some of the hot water into your favourite tumbler, to warm the glass and ensure the glass is clean.
Empty out this water, and refill the glass between 1/2 to 3/4 full with fresh, hot water.
Now, slowly fill the glass to the top with your favorite Satoh shochu. There's no need to stir.
- Item #: i_101859Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Gunma
Rice Variety: 500 Mangoku
Polishing Ratio: 50%
Sake Meter Value: +3.0
Yeast: Association No.1801, Gunma Kaze
Seitoku is known for its graceful, refined ginjo with enticing notes of lychee. This genshu version, at 17% alcohol, is more potent, but maintains the clarity and balance of its lighter cousin.
Seitoku’s vivid flavor impact intensifies the briny flavors of scallops, mirugai, abalone and other mollusks, including squid.
Silver Award, Ginjo class, 2015 U.S. National Sake Appraisal
- Item #: i_103318Bottle Size: 330Made with Cal-Rose Rice.
Made in San Diego, Setting Sun's Triple Hop Sake is a Ginjo Namazake dry hopped with Citra, Motueka, and Mosaic hop varietals. The floral and bitter notes from the citrsy hop blend is complemented by the natural sake sweetness.
- Item #: i_365672Bottle Size: 750mlThis incredible, limited edition, free-run droplet Sake is absolutely bangin'! Unlike most sakes which are put into a press where the Sake is force-filtered with pressure; Shichi Hon Yari uses the Shizuku style method, where the sake is placed in a burlap sack and hung in the air where only gravity alone gently filters the Sake one drop at a time. This produces ultra-complex Sake filled with all kinds of incredible nuances including hazelnut, brown sugar, mushroom and persimmon. This sake is wild and earthy and can be imbibed cold, warm or room temp. Enjoy with deep, rich dishes such as beef stew or robata grill.
Grade: Shizuku Junmai Daiginjo
Yeast: Association #1401
Shubo Method: Sokujo
Filtration: Filtered to remove small particles
- Item #: i_103180Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Saga
SMV (Dryness scale):0 (neutral)
Not a lot of Saga sake is available in the US, but this brewery is a great representative of sake from that region. With a powerhouse nose of plums, grapes, sweet beets, and sweet rice aromas this “raw” sake is a party in your glass. It’s a big party as it is crazy bright and very frisky. There is a lot of tingle in each sip, which makes for a refreshing, lively, and edgy drinking experience. A very nice assortment of crispy apple, tight pear, and young mango flavors with a vein of grape and dried fruits. It is an exciting fluid that is brisk, brash and darn near electric. I wrote “tingle time” in my notes and I was very impressed with how the flavor and feeling of this brew jumps right out of the glass.
- Item #: i_102132Bottle Size: 500mlFrom Gifu Prefecture, Shirakawago Awanigori Junmai is a cloudy, loosely pressed sparkling sake produced using Akebono sake brewing rice. This particular Sake undergoes a secondary fermentation as does Champagne.
Sweetness level: - 50
- Item #: i_102015Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Ibaraki
Polishing rate: 40%
A very special sake made in the Shizuku or "Drip" method. A gentle nose greets you with pear and citrus aromas. This brew is round, smooth, rich and luscious with an upfront fruit explosion followed by a great finish. So much flavor, but still so balanced and juicy. Look for layers of fruitiness like pear, mango, berries, and a superb grapefruit tickle. Very silky, slippery, and delicious.
Recommended foods: Seafood, shellfish, oysters, sashimi, cold crab.
- Item #: i_365654Bottle Size: 1.75LMAGNUM 1.8L
Dry, Expansive on the palate, Balanced, & Elegant. The nose is filled with strawberry, cantaloupe, and watermelon. A clean and bold Daiginjo with a snap that says, "I am a sword." A perfect example of a sake that becomes you each and every sip with hints of minerals, ginger, and a dryness that speaks to all. There is an abundance of twangy flavors that makes this sake a favorite of those who like a clean sake with precise cut and a shimmering finish.
FOODS: Grilled salty fare, pizza with anchovies, peppered beef.
Rice Variety: Yamada Nishiki
Sake Meter Value: +3.0 (Dry/Neutral)
Polishing Ratio: 40%