Sake or saké is a Japanese rice wine made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran. Unlike wine, in which alcohol is produced by fermenting sugar that is naturally present in grapes, sake is produced by a brewing process more like that of beer, where the starch is converted into sugars, before being converted to alcohol. The brewing process for sake differs from the process for beer in that, for beer, the conversion from starch to sugar and from sugar to alcohol occurs in two discrete steps. Like other rice wines, when sake is brewed, these conversions occur simultaneously. Furthermore, the alcohol content differs between sake, wine, and beer. Wine generally contains 9%–16% ABV, while most beer contains 3%–9%, and undiluted sake contains 18%–20% (although this is often lowered to about 15% by diluting with water prior to bottling).
- Item #: i_320012Bottle Size: 720mlGreen apple, juniper, caramel, and cedar aromas. Sweet flavor with a gin-like bite, light to medium body, fairly creamy and crisp. 14.6% alcohol.
- Item #: i_328002Bottle Size: 750mlGekkeikan 'Traditional' JUNMAISMV +2, ACIDITY 1.7, ALCOHOL %15-16Serve: Hot Warm or Cool, With: Chicken; Fish; Barbecue; Fried Rice; Grilled Vegetables; Cheese.Gekkeikan Sake CapThis sake has long been a very popular item in Japan. Enjoy for its delicious taste, convenient size and accompanying cup. Serve chilled, room temperature or warmed.
- Item #: i_328860Bottle Size: 750MLGekkeikan 'Silver' JUNMAISMV +6, ACIDITY 1.7, ALCOHOL %14.6Serve: Hot Warm or Cool, With: Chicken; Fish; Barbecue; Fried Rice; Sushi; Vegetables; Cheese.Soft and light on the palate with white tea; the mouth-feel is refreshing; clean and invigorating finish
- Item #: i_365587Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Niigata
SMV (dryness scale): 0 (neutral)
Alcohol: 17% abv (high)
Polishing Rate: 55%
Hakkaisan Tokubetsu. Tokubetsu means "special"... This is a selection of top premium sake rice used to make this special Junmai Genshu (undilured or cask strength) so it packs a PUNCH, but it also has a mild and rich taste without any harsh flavor. Crafted with attention to detail and using a long fermentation period at a low temperature, this sake is best served chilled. This is also a Namazume sake... so only pasterized once. Please always keep this refrigerated.
- Item #: i_365584Bottle Size: 720mlThough most Sake is meant to be imbibed young, Hakkaisan Junmai Ginjo Genshu sake was carefully aged for three years alongside a massive snow bank stored in an insulated room, known as the “Yukimuro”. Sake is delicate and even the slightest vibration or change in the environment can trigger deterioration. This method of storing perishables at low temperatures, using the abundant snow provided by nature, has been used traditionally in the snowy region of Uonuma, Japan for centuries. From the cold of the snow alone, the temperature is naturally kept stable at 3 degrees Celsius. No electricity is used for Yukimuro storage. The natural cold air coming off of the snow alone is what does the chilling. This Sake is also undiluted (genshu). After three years, the taste of becomes full-bodied, rich, round-textured and very smooth. As 50% of the rice grain is polished away, this is technically a Daiginjo, (that is, a higher grade of Sake) though Hakkaisan labels this as Ginjo. That is because they hold themselves to a higher standard. Serve well-chilled.
sake meter value -1.0
amino acid 1.3
koji rice used Yamadanishiki brewing rice used Gohyakumangoku , Yukinosei
rice-polishing ratio 50%
yeast Kyokai No. 1001 M310
- Item #: i_365585Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Niigata
Rice Variety: Yamadanishiki, Gohyakumangoku, Miyamanishiki
Polishing Ratio: 50%
Sake Meter Value: -5
Made for the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics, Hakkaisan Clear Sparkling is made using a secondary in-bottle fermentation, (similar to Champagne) to create a clear and elegant sake. It has a lovely fruity aroma and refreshing taste that is rounded out a gentle sweetness and crisp finish. Hakkaisan Clear Sparkling is the perfect sake to toast any occasion.
- Item #: i_365551Bottle Size: 720mlHakutsuru 'Superior' JUNMAI GINJO
SMV +3, ACIDITY 1.3, ALCOHOL %14.5 Serve: Tepid, or Chilled, With: Rich salty dishes; Steamed clams; Sashimi; Broiled Meats Hakutsuru Junmai Ginjo
Using only the finest rice, and Nada's famed natural spring water Miyamizu, Junmai Ginjo has been brewed with meticulous care and traditional method. This flowery fragrant Sake with silky, well-balanced smoothness can be enjoyed chilled or at room temperature. Matches dishes with a slightly salty taste or a slightly soy taste.Sauted vegetable, Baby clams steamed in Sake, Japanese pickles, Sashimi, Yakitori (chicken cooked over charcoal, salt flavored or soy sauce flavored).
- Item #: i_114847Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Hyogo
Rice Polishing Rate: 50%
SHO-UNE, meaning “soaring clouds”, is a supreme Japanese sake using only the finest rice, Yamada-Nishiki, and Nada’s famed natural spring water Miyamizu. Straw color. Aromas of ripe melon, shiso, grapefruit zest, pear, rainwater, elderflower, caraway, and star anise with a velvety, lively, fruity full body and a layered, long apricot and teriyaki finish. A pure and balanced sake that is a delight to sip and savor; excellent for sushi and crisp summer salads. This velvety smooth sake has fruity aromas and can be enjoyed chilled or at room temperature. Gluten free. Sulfite free.
- Item #: i_102838Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Yamaguchi
Sake Meter Value: +3 (Dry)
Polishing rate: 30%
HEAVENSAKE Junmai Daiginjo is a private label made by DASSAI in collaboration with Regis Camus the Cellar Master for Piper Rare Champagne. It is fresh with floral notes like Stargazer lily on the nose, followed by notes of pineapple and Fuji apple and pear on the palate. This Daiginjo follows with a clean finish that wakes the palate. French-inspired bottle design with traditional Japanese taste.
- Item #: i_365546Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Yamagata
Rice Variety: Yamadanishiki
Alcohol Percentage: 15-16%
Polishing Ratio: 45%
Sake Meter Value: +3.0
Fresh meadowy imprint of flowers and grass billows out into a fuller flavor profile replete with young fruit. A dry, gently fading finish rounds the circle.
Best enjoyed close to room temperature: do not over-chill. Pairs well with unadorned dishes that accentuate the flavor of natural ingredients.
Gold Award, Daiginjo B class, 2013, 2014, & 2015 U.S. National Sake Appraisal
Top-scoring sake entry at the London 2008 International Wine Challenge.
- Item #: i_167918Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a limited release from Iichiko, made especially for bartenders, Saiten is a 100% Barley soju at 43 ABV (86 Proof) that works amazingly well in cocktails. The nose is full of honeydew, white grapes, citrus, a hint of soy, white pepper and barley notes. On the palate, iichiko Saiten offers a rich umami and a long saline finish. We tried this on its own and also mixed with some club soda where it transformed into a delicious cocktail, very close in tune to an Aperol spritz. Lots of fun to play around with and easy to drink.
- Item #: i_167108Bottle Size: 750mlThis Awamori Soju from Okinawa is rich and savory, with a taste much like that of black truffle. It is delicious as it is distinctive.
Kamejikomi ("Traditional Creation")
Distillery: Ishikawa Distillery, Location: Nishihara, Okinawa prefecture, Japan
Grain: 100% aged Indica (Thai) rice
Koji: Okinawa black
Fermented and aged for 5 years in clay amphora.
Alcohol content: 24% (48 proof)
Awamori is the oldest Japanese spirits made out of 100% rice and black koji mold. It is made in Okinawa, the southernmost part of Japan in the land of longevity known as the "Blue Zone."
Awamori is made of Thai rice and black koji-mold. It is similar to "Shochu", but it has a strong aroma and unique character. No sugar and gluten contained and 100% natural.
Drink it as a straight shot, diluted with water and ice or a cocktail. Awamori could also be an excellent replacement of gin, vodka or tequila.
- Item #: i_102831Bottle Size: 720mlPrefecture: Kagawa
Sake Meter Value: (dryness scale): +3
Polishing ratio: 65%
From the southern part of Japan, this light and dry sake rides that perfect balance between sweetness and dryness. This is a very rare sake in that the rice used for this sake was grown right outside of the brewery (most breweries use rice from other areas/regions). It is juicy and savory with citrus and grassy aromas. Kawatsuru has a female “Toji” master brewer, Miki Fujioka.
- Item #: i_365528Bottle Size: 200MLKikusui Funaguchi is aged at low temperatures for one year. Being a Nama Sake the enzymes are still active and over the course of a year they allow Aged Funaguchi to acquire a heavier mouthier feel and rich, generous character. Being a Genshu, this sake is undiluted.
Technical notes: Alcohol Contents : 19%
Milling Rate : 55%
Enjoy this sippable, potent portable delicious Sake with foods such as: Unagi, Braised Pork, and other rich foods.
- Item #: i_365510Bottle Size: 300mlKIKUSUI JUNMAI GINJO
ALCOHOL % 15
Serve: Chilled, With: Salad; Sushi; Melons; Steamed Vegetables/ Fish/ Pork; Tofu.
Delicate with clean aromatics and rich sapidity, that is smooth, rooted and articulated in elegance.
Kikusui has a slightly fruity nose with hints of citrus and persimmons. Kikusui has a strikingly smooth beginning with a gradual thickening viscosity that ends in a slightly salty aftertaste. Dry, sharp and smooth according to most, this Ginjo sits well in the mouth and will tease you with sweet fruit tones and a dry finish. Kikusui is fermented at a low temperature longer than most Ginjos to rid the sake of the sometimes "heavy" characteristics of a Junmai, thus giving it an overall light and dry complexion. This is a Sake which gin and vodka drinkers will appreciate.
- Item #: i_365550Bottle Size: 720mlSMV: +1.0
Acidity: 1.7 Brewery: Kikusui Shuzo - Niigata Seimaibuai: 55% Rice Type: Gohyakumangoku Classification: Junmai Ginjo Prefecture: Niigata Alcohol: 15.0% This sake is a light and breezy delight. Easy to drink and mild, this is a beautifully crafted signature sake of the Niigata region. With a soft texture and a light fruity aroma, I enjoy this sake all throughout the year. delicious.