Portuguese wine is the result of traditions introduced to the region by ancient civilizations, such as the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Greeks, and mostly the Romans. Portugal produces a wide variety of different wines with distinctive personality because they have a large array of native varietals.
- Item #: i_373637Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 9560% Touriga Nacional & 40% Touriga Franca
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "An impressive red that shows finesse to the generous profile of cherry tart, red plum and raspberry gelée notes, cast with licorice, Earl Grey tea, pepper and graphite details. Aromas of violet and mocha echo on the tannic finish. Needs a few years in the cellar. Best from 2021 through 2031."
- Item #: i_380431Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2016 Post Scriptum de Chryseia is principally a Touriga Nacional / Touriga Franca blend. Not overly concentrated, it does have beautiful, lifted fruit and an enticing fresh feel to it. In its own subtle way, this is focused and very appealing and a complete charmer. Perfumed and almost Margaux-like! Bone dry and rather refined.
- Item #: i_383633Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Reserva Old Vines (an average age of 70 years) represents 37 of Crasto's 42 plots and/or small vineyards of old vines. In 2016, three were discarded for poor performance, while Maria Teresa and Ponte were not included because they were bottled separately this year. It was aged for 16 to 18 months, depending on lot, in 65% new oak (85/15 French and American) and comes in at 14.5% alcohol. Solid in the mid-palate, this has impressive depth and a seductive demeanor. The finish lingers beautifully. After an initial creamy hit of texture, it becomes silkier and sensual. Beautifully balanced, this has moderate tannins. It drank well after some hours of double decanting, but it is not really ready to drink. It will be much better around 2023, although it is approachable. How does it compare to the 2015 revisited this issue? They weren't really tasted together, although in relatively close proximity. The 2015 may have better-defined fruit. This might have a little more depth. They are both very fine and a lot of fun. They both need to develop some complexity. It will take a few years to determine who the winner is for sure. I lean to the 2015, but let's call it even for the moment."
- Item #: i_377947Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker Notes - Dark ruby in color, with excellent aroma expressiveness, showing notes of fresh red fruit and elegant floral notes reminiscent of violets. Seductive on the palate, evolving into a balanced wine of great volume and a solid structure. The tannins are polished and well-integrated with retronasal sensations of red fruit. Attractive and fresh wine, with a lovely, lingering finish.
- Item #: i_379852Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 94Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Sousão, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Barroca, & Tinta Roriz
Quinta dos Murças Reserva comes from old vines planted at altitudes between 150m (490 ft) and 280 meters (915 ft), facing west. This is the classic version of a ‘quinta’ (estate) wine, where the emphasis is on the terroir to produce elegant wines with great aging potential. It is made via fermentation with indigenous yeasts and temperature control (25ºC – 28ºC) in granite ‘lagares’ using foot treading and pressing in an old-style vertical press.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS; EDITOR'S CHOICE - "This is a rich wine based on a field blend of traditional Douro grapes. It is massively concentrated, firm and properly mature, with rich black fruit and spice leading the flavors. It is perfectly aged and ready to drink."
"Complex and elegant aroma of mature dark berry fruits, with balsamic notes and integrated spicy notes from oak barrel ageing."- WINERY NOTES
- Item #: i_382145Bottle Size: 750mlViosinho, Rabigato, Códega do Larinho and Gouveio
A small producer, and a store favorite, Wine & Soul is run by a wife & husband team. "Guru" is fermented and aged in new French oak for seven months, and shares a lot in common with a good Pessac-Leognan or Burgundy: light bodied, bright citrus (like lemon and grapefruit) along with some riper fruits (like peach and pineapple), and some cedary spice from oak.