Port wine (also known as Vinho do Porto, Porto, and usually simply port) is a Portuguese fortified wine produced exclusively in the Douro Valley in the northern provinces of Portugal. It is typically a sweet, red wine, often served as a dessert wine though it also comes in dry, semi-dry, and white varieties. The wine produced is then fortified by the addition of a neutral grape spirit known as aguardente in order to stop the fermentation, leaving residual sugar in the wine, and to boost the alcohol content. The fortification spirit is sometimes referred to as brandy but it bears little resemblance to commercial brandies. The wine is then stored and aged, in barrels stored in a cave, before being bottled. Over a hundred varieties of grapes are sanctioned for port production, although only five (Tinta Barroca, Tinta Cão, Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo), Touriga Francesa, and Touriga Nacional) are widely cultivated and used. Touriga Nacional is widely considered the most desirable port grape but the difficulty in growing it and the small yields cause Touriga Francesa to be the most widely planted grape. White ports are produced the same way as red ports, except that they use white grapes—Donzelinho Branco, Esgana-Cão, Folgasão, Gouveio, Malvasia Fina, Rabigato and Viosinho.
- Item #: i_352187Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-This starts with a generous feel, offering blueberry and plum reduction notes, but zips up nicely through the back end, picking up graphite and açai berry accents for added range and cut. Shows an alluring mint echo. Best from 2028 through 2040. 2,000 cases made."
WINERY NOTES-"We are delighted with the quality of the 2015 Quinta da Roêda Vintage Port. Our investment in the Roêda vineyards continues to reap benefits in terms of consistently first class wines. Typically of the 2015 wines, the Roêda Vintage Port is immediately appealing and will make fine mature drinking by 2025, yet still be displaying all of its elegance and refinement twenty years later."-Adrian Bridge Winery Director
Croft’s Head of Viticulture, António Magalhães adds: "The health of the crop was exceptional. Warm days and cool nights produced long fermentations and balanced extraction throughout the harvest."
- Item #: i_374614Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS-"Aromas of blueberries, blackberries and dried flowers plus hints of slate follow through to a full body, very fine tannins and a driven and linear finish. Orange peel and dried fruit. Sleek and racy. Ready to try in 2024."
- Item #: i_377236Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR INSIDER 91 POINTS - "This Port is filled to the brim with rich, dried fruit and spiceflavors, including apricot and mango, along with vibrant whitechocolate and hazelnut notes. The finish is sumptuous. Drink now."
- Item #: i_376983Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "Extremely complex aromas that show the classic Graham character of black-fruit marmalade and burnt oranges. Follows through to a full body with great grip at the finish. Lightly sweet. Chewy and powerful. Such a focus at the end."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS-"The 2016 Vintage Port is a blend of 37% Touriga Nacional, 42% Touriga Franca and various others. It comes in with 115 grams of residual sugar. A bit bigger than Dow's this year, this is more intense as well. The better wine of these two benchmarks seems to be this Graham's. Tight on the finish, aromatic and very flavorful, this actually opens rather well and shows off its lovely fruit. The Dow's will be approachable a bit earlier, perhaps, and this may reward aging even more. As always, Graham's is wonderfully delicious. That's one hallmark of the house. I'm not sure this is a truly great Graham's, but at the moment, it is enticing, with plenty of potential for improvement. There were 6,325 cases produced, plus some bottles in other formats."
OTHER SCORES: WS 98 POINTS, WE 97 POINTS & DECANTER 98 POINTS
- Item #: i_379357Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS-"Wow! Amazing aromas of crushed blackberry and blueberry, stems and rose petal. Entrancing. Full-bodied, very tight and powerful with ultra-fine tannins. Intense richness of crushed berries, chocolate, hazelnut and coffee. 5,250 cases. Try after 2026."
- Item #: i_325553Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Fascinating aromas of citrus fruits, blueberry and dried flowers, with tar notes as well, lead to a full-bodied, medium-sweet palate, with a black pepper and spice undertone to the rich, ripe berry fruit. Turns chewy and tannic on the finish. So much to come with age in the bottle. Very typical for Vesuvio. Best after 2017."
- Item #: i_379014Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94JAMES SUCKING 95 POINTS - "Finished aromas of crushed berry, graphite and stone. Full body, very sweet with a tangy almost sweet and sour character. Distinct flavors of dried oranges and dark berries. Medium tannin structure. Very ripe yet fresh."
- Item #: i_374822Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS-"This is extremely floral with dark fruit and plum character. Full-bodied, very tight and focused. It's a complete young vintage Port that is great from start to finish. Rio Torto fruit makes this great! Better in 2022."
- Item #: i_376775Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS & #14 2018 TOP 100 LIST-"Gorgeous, with warm plum reduction and gently steeped raspberry, blackberry and boysenberry fruit flavors forming the core, all inlaid with warm ganache and smoldering tobacco accents. Very plush in feel, but has no lack of energy, as everything sails beautifully through the long finish. A late echo of anise completes the seduction. Best from 2035 through 2055. 3,000 cases made."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS-Very complex with dried flowers and roses. Full-bodied, very layered and tightly wound. Chewy and powerful. Firm and off-dry. Needs five or six years to soften. Beauty. Try in 2024."
- Item #: i_325608Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91James Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "This shows a beautiful balance, with sweet, ripe berries, minerals, violets and schist. Medium body, fine tannins and a long, fresh finish. This is a late-bottled vintage that is not filtered or refined."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2002 Late Bottled Vintage Port is unfiltered and bottled with a long cork. Elegant and aromatic, this is a beautiful achievement in a very difficult vintage in Douro. Showing terrific concentration for the vintage, it has mild tannins at this point and controlled flavors laced with a touch of herbs. This is a great time to dive into this unfiltered LBV. It still has plenty of life left, but it is unlikely to get better."